Region 23: Regional Final 3. West Jefferson vs 1. Fort Frye

Sportsfan01
JV Team

Re: Region 23: Regional Final 3. West Jefferson vs 1. Fort Frye

Post by Sportsfan01 »

WJ-OSU-STEELERS wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 3:26 pm Buckeyefan - The holding calls can go either way. Ft Frye got little to no push, collapsing of the pocket most of the game. The WJ qb was able to step into almost all of his throws. Even if one is held, you can still get a push. Didn’t/couldn’t see a face mask but definitely herd a moan/grown from the Ft Frye side when the one play finished out of bounds on their sideline. As for the intentional grounding call, come on it was pretty obvious. The Ft Frye qb was inside the tackle box, there was no receiver in the area and the pass never got pass the line of scrimmage. It wasn’t a official circle jerk, it was a crew coming together to get it right…..and they did. Penalties were WJ 3 for 39 yards, FT Frye 5 for 42. I think the refs did a good job and let both teams play.

EasternDspy - The yardage for both teams was basically the same:
* Ft Frye 377 on 66 plays (5.71average per play)
* WJ 339 on 56 plays (6.05 average per play)

The yardage #’s supports what we saw, it was a closely contested game. WJ did it by air with their spread offense but had no running game. Ft Frye with their wing T offense with unique guard play, definitely moved the ball but it never felt like they were able to run down WJ’s throat. At lease 50 of FT Frye’s 220 yards rushing had be from the qb scrambling for big gains off of pass plays. One I thought may have been a delayed qb draw. The Ft Frye qb was a solid, tough player.

Hopefully these two programs will meet again.
I agree here I don’t think the Refs played much role in this game. It was evenly matched and WJ just made a few more plays. Both defenses played great

Ff3233
All Conference

Post by Ff3233 »

Sportsfan01 wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 7:03 pm
WJ-OSU-STEELERS wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 3:26 pm Buckeyefan - The holding calls can go either way. Ft Frye got little to no push, collapsing of the pocket most of the game. The WJ qb was able to step into almost all of his throws. Even if one is held, you can still get a push. Didn’t/couldn’t see a face mask but definitely herd a moan/grown from the Ft Frye side when the one play finished out of bounds on their sideline. As for the intentional grounding call, come on it was pretty obvious. The Ft Frye qb was inside the tackle box, there was no receiver in the area and the pass never got pass the line of scrimmage. It wasn’t a official circle jerk, it was a crew coming together to get it right…..and they did. Penalties were WJ 3 for 39 yards, FT Frye 5 for 42. I think the refs did a good job and let both teams play.

EasternDspy - The yardage for both teams was basically the same:
* Ft Frye 377 on 66 plays (5.71average per play)
* WJ 339 on 56 plays (6.05 average per play)

The yardage #’s supports what we saw, it was a closely contested game. WJ did it by air with their spread offense but had no running game. Ft Frye with their wing T offense with unique guard play, definitely moved the ball but it never felt like they were able to run down WJ’s throat. At lease 50 of FT Frye’s 220 yards rushing had be from the qb scrambling for big gains off of pass plays. One I thought may have been a delayed qb draw. The Ft Frye qb was a solid, tough player.

Hopefully these two programs will meet again.
I agree here I don’t think the Refs played much role in this game. It was evenly matched and WJ just made a few more plays. Both defenses played great
Also agree with this.

Arnie
Waterboy

Post by Arnie »

efarns wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 4:04 pm
Arnie wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 12:27 pm The problem for SEO teams is they can't regularly compete with teams from near or above I-70. It's just a different brand of football and different attitude about being able to compete in the other areas of the state.
It was a 2-point ball game. WJ was 11-1? and an elite team in any region. Most teams in their area couldn't compete with Fort Frye.
I noticed FF also played and lost to LCC which is also above I-70.

Bird Dog
All Conference

Post by Bird Dog »

Arnie wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 12:27 pm The problem for SEO teams is they can't regularly compete with teams from near or above I-70. It's just a different brand of football and different attitude about being able to compete in the other areas of the state.
It was a 2-point ball game. WJ was 11-1? and an elite team in any region. Most teams in their area couldn't compete with Fort Frye.
I am not a fan of either team, but I watched some of this game. As a free service, I will explain what was wrong.

Fort got whipped by a better team. West Jefferson was better. Fort is pretty good, but not nearly as good as West Jefferson.

You're Welcome

Arnie
Waterboy

Post by Arnie »

Bird Dog wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 12:31 pm
I am not a fan of either team, but I watched some of this game. As a free service, I will explain what was wrong.

Fort got whipped by a better team. West Jefferson was better. Fort is pretty good, but not nearly as good as West Jefferson.

You're Welcome
Yes and to think WJ got housed the next week.

Sportsfan01
JV Team

Post by Sportsfan01 »

You're Welcome
No one in their right mind watched that game said Fort Frye got whipped. They got beat by a good team. It was a very evenly matched game.

EasternDspy
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by EasternDspy »

You're Welcome

Whipped??? Fort Frye had more yards and fumbled on the 1??? The game was 16-14 neither team got whipped.. You obviously watched the first half. WJ had 3 points in the second half.

WJ-OSU-STEELERS
Waterboy

Post by WJ-OSU-STEELERS »

WJ-FF was a very competitive, well played game. I think it was one of WJ’s better played games, definitely for this season. The WJ-Coldwater game, WJ was way more sloppy. Credit Coldwater but some of the things were simply self imposed by WJ. On a play by play basis, I think WJ definitely was just as physical and won a fair share of them. Again, one simply can not put themselves behind the eight ball when playing the caliber of a team such as Coldwater. Bottom line, Coldwater was definitely the better team and they are playing for the state championship this weekend.

EasternDpsy - You always mention the fumble before half and the only 3 pts WJ scored in the second half but fail to mention the WJ td called back on a holding call and FF’s offense scoring 0 pts in the second half. FF had their chances but the best team, WJ, won that night.

Sportsfan01
JV Team

Post by Sportsfan01 »

WJ-OSU-STEELERS wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 4:48 pm WJ-FF was a very competitive, well played game. I think it was one of WJ’s better played games, definitely for this season. The WJ-Coldwater game, WJ was way more sloppy. Credit Coldwater but some of the things were simply self imposed by WJ. On a play by play basis, I think WJ definitely was just as physical and won a fair share of them. Again, one simply can not put themselves behind the eight ball when playing the caliber of a team such as Coldwater. Bottom line, Coldwater was definitely the better team and they are playing for the state championship this weekend.

EasternDpsy - You always mention the fumble before half and the only 3 pts WJ scored in the second half but fail to mention the WJ td called back on a holding call and FF’s offense scoring 0 pts in the second half. FF had their chances but the best team, WJ, won that night.
On that same token Fort Frye had the ball in range to take a game winning field goal attempt at the end, but an intentional grounding penalty pushed them back out of range. I think the point was simply the teams were pretty evenly matched. Either team could have won that game. WJ made the plays to win and came out on top. So they were the better team, but to say Fort Frye got whipped like the person did earlier is just not correct.

WJ-OSU-STEELERS
Waterboy

Post by WJ-OSU-STEELERS »

Sportsfan - Completely agree, it was a close, competitive game but I don’t know about a FF field goal. The two FF PAT’s were good but a fg but it did not appear the kicker had range beyond 30 yards. I believe FF was at the 18 when the intentional grounding occurred (correct call). I think FF would have needed another 8-10 yards for a fg attempt.

Close game. If WJ remains in Region 23, I think these two teams will run into one another again.

Sportsfan01
JV Team

Post by Sportsfan01 »

WJ-OSU-STEELERS wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 10:02 am Sportsfan - Completely agree, it was a close, competitive game but I don’t know about a FF field goal. The two FF PAT’s were good but a fg but it did not appear the kicker had range beyond 30 yards. I believe FF was at the 18 when the intentional grounding occurred (correct call). I think FF would have needed another 8-10 yards for a fg attempt.

Close game. If WJ remains in Region 23, I think these two teams will run into one another again.
On the field goal attempt I’m gonna based off of what the FF coach said in the paper. I believe he said they thought that was in their range. But I agree if both teams remain in Region 23 we should get a rematch and it should be a another fun competitive game.

Return to “Football”