How can Granville beat Western Brown

Blueaces1
Waterboy

How can Granville beat Western Brown

Post by Blueaces1 »

Hello fellas. What’s it going to take for my Blue Aces to beat Western Brown this week? How did they beat Jackson last week? What could Jackson have done differently? We have a good defense, but have not been great at times in coverage. We also have not played a team who likes to pass that much. We also lost our QB Carsyn Crouch for the season, but if he does play, he won’t be mobile, which made him hard to stop, much like Novak. I’m guessing our coach or any good coach will try to pound the ball on offense and chew some clock, and try to limit big plays on defense. I’m assuming this was Jackson’s game plan as well? What are western Browns weaknesses?

Sorry for all of the questions! And thanks!!

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Re: How can Granville beat Western Brown

Post by Ironman92 »

Western Brown’s defense isn’t very good but they are good enough.

Novak will be tough to handle seeing him on film vs being on the field with him. I’d hope for a 30 mph wind.

He has a great knack for knowing when to run and runs way stronger than anyone would guess. Has great instincts and avoid brutal hits every time. He may not have the greatest arm but it’s very good snd he knows where options 1-4 are on every play. Very rough to trick. Receivers are great at coming back to him when he scrambles….they won’t go deep they’ll go 15 yards.

Western Brown is very good. This should be a very good game.

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

First thing I would do is say a prayer that you don't get the same officials that did the Jackson - Western Brown game. Lol, just joking, even though there were a few questionable calls, that seemed to always go against the Ironmen. Have not seen Granville play, but as Ironmen92 said, their defense did not look that great at times, yet seemed to be able to get stops at critical times. Not sure how good Granville's defense is, but as what has already been stated, unless they were inside the 10 yard line, he normally always had 5 receivers to throw to. He probably ran for 75-80 yards against the Ironmen, and was never hesitant to tuck the ball and run. I think I heard later that the Ironmen ended up with 8 or 9 penalty's for around 90 yards. I don't think that punting the ball against the Ironmen was even a consideration, regardless of their field position, I think they have that much confidence in their offense. Limiting WB's offensive possessions ( easier said than done ) and having a good ball control offense of your own, ( witch the Ironmen at times were able to do ) but just came up a little short at the end.

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

Granville is probably going to come after Novak all night long. I have no clue why Jackson brought no pressure

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Raider6309 wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 11:59 pm Granville is probably going to come after Novak all night long. I have no clue why Jackson brought no pressure
Well at some point you have to give Novak credit. He came into the game with something like 50 TD and 3 int and 1000 yards rushing. His line is good at pass protection as well. Jackson defense wasn’t the problem….they intercepted him 2x and did absolutely nothing with either and were around midfield both times. In the 2nd half we came after him many many times….he ran more and kept passing well. I did think our pass rushers were held several times in the 3rd and 4th qtr but 🤷🏻‍♂️ also doesn’t mean we were going to get him as his instincts are great, very elusive and receivers come back to him. We only sacked him 2-3 times in both games combined, in nearly 100 opportunities. Our 1st team all-district nose tackle is undersized but very strong and quick with endless motor….I heard his name called 1x the entire game.

I’m sticking with my 30 mph wind as the best defense

mt1fan
Freshman Team

Post by mt1fan »

How did I know that Id see a reply about officials on this thread..... Cant leave it in the officials hands.

Anyway, your offense has to hang on to the football, their defense is pretty sneaky when it comes to getting turnovers, they will fly to the football and try and get the ball out every play. Defensively you have to play disciplined/ assignment football, limit mistakes and capitalize on theirs. Although it may be few and far between they will make mistakes and you have to capitalize. Stay away from a shootout, defense has to force 3rd and long situations and get stops, receivers will sit in your void and he will find the open man. They stay very consistent in what they do on both sides of the football! Best of luck!

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

mt1fan wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 7:00 am How did I know that Id see a reply about officials on this thread..... Cant leave it in the officials hands.

Anyway, your offense has to hang on to the football, their defense is pretty sneaky when it comes to getting turnovers, they will fly to the football and try and get the ball out every play. Defensively you have to play disciplined/ assignment football, limit mistakes and capitalize on theirs. Although it may be few and far between they will make mistakes and you have to capitalize. Stay away from a shootout, defense has to force 3rd and long situations and get stops, receivers will sit in your void and he will find the open man. They stay very consistent in what they do on both sides of the football! Best of luck!
Then I followed it with it doesn’t mean we would’ve got him and then why. I’ve been more informative than anyone on this thread and 2 long posts and you pick out half of point. Tell me more about Bishop Hartley

mt1fan
Freshman Team

Post by mt1fan »

Ironman92 wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 7:15 am
mt1fan wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 7:00 am How did I know that Id see a reply about officials on this thread..... Cant leave it in the officials hands.

Then I followed it with it doesn’t mean we would’ve got him and then why. I’ve been more informative than anyone on this thread and 2 long posts and you pick out half of point. Tell me more about Bishop Hartley
Just sick of hearing how its always the officials fault when Jackson gets beat. Same song different year

mt1fan
Freshman Team

Post by mt1fan »

I also wasn't even referring to your post. Don't get triggered its not that serious.

3rd String
Freshman Team

Post by 3rd String »

Granville will need to go man coverage in the secondary. with their fastest athlete spying Novak from the MLB spot. He is very sneaky fast, doesn't look fast, but then just pulls away from those chasing him. The receivers are too skilled, and smart to run a zone D. They find the open spots in the zone, and Novak finds them.

1993jumper
Waterboy

Post by 1993jumper »

Says the miami trace fan?

mt1fan
Freshman Team

Post by mt1fan »

1993jumper wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 8:21 am

What?

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

Blueaces1 wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 7:54 pm Hello fellas. What’s it going to take for my Blue Aces to beat Western Brown this week? How did they beat Jackson last week? What could Jackson have done differently? We have a good defense, but have not been great at times in coverage. We also have not played a team who likes to pass that much. We also lost our QB Carsyn Crouch for the season, but if he does play, he won’t be mobile, which made him hard to stop, much like Novak. I’m guessing our coach or any good coach will try to pound the ball on offense and chew some clock, and try to limit big plays on defense. I’m assuming this was Jackson’s game plan as well? What are western Browns weaknesses?

Speaking from an unbias opinion from neither Jackson nor Western Brown I walked away just flat out impressed with Novak. The young man just has perfect ball placement with each throw and waits as long as he can to read the defense even as he's running the Granville secondary must stick to the WR. He was 29-42 but there was about 6-8 drops in that game and I wouldn't bank on that if I'm Granville. If you take a look at Novak on Maxpreps you will see a lot of highlight videos and for some reason each team like Clinton Massie and Jackson refused to bring pressure and set in zone coverage. For me watching that was a huge no no, because the WRs are taught very well to find the void in the zone and Novak at 6-6 is tall enough to see over everyone and see the voids as his WRs clear them. Some throws he made were so on time that the WR was clearing it as the ball was in the air. OL is big up front but I still believe if I've got the athletes I'm going 1-1, showing a lot of blitzes bringing some and backing out at times. Clinton Massie would run 8 and 9 guys in coverage and was still picked apart to the tune 5 tds.

I don't think the WRs are high end speed guys but they know how to find a zone and they know exactly what to do during a scramble drill. Granville up front should be able to get pressure but WB is big up front and only go one way. Defensively WB isn't great but like someone said they're just good enough to make enough plays to create 1-3 stops in a game that gives their offense a chance to turn the tide in a big way in their favor. Jackson done a lot of what you're talking about keep in mind they had 2-3 drives where they had the ball 6-8 minutes problem is you must play perfect in that scenario and I believe Jackson limited the big plays for the most part but WB thrives in that 8-15 yard window and next thing you know they've scored in less than 2 minutes. If you've got the athletes on the outside, mix it up, run man to man, bump and run show the blitzes anything to throw off the timing, with their WRs being average athletically I think it can be done.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

mt1fan wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 7:33 am

Just sick of hearing how its always the officials fault when Jackson gets beat. Same song different year
If that’s what you got out of my post then your comprehension skills rival your scouting skills. The other person who actually mentioned the refs that you claim you were referring to….he’s not a Jackson fan or poster.

mt1fan
Freshman Team

Post by mt1fan »

Ironman92 wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 9:49 am
mt1fan wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 7:33 am

If that’s what you got out of my post then your comprehension skills rival your scouting skills. The other person who actually mentioned the refs that you claim you were referring to….he’s not a Jackson fan or poster.
Its not that serious man. I didn't read your analysis on WB and was not referring to your post. But yet here you are triggered by a response that had nothing to do with you.....

Good luck to both teams! Well deserved and I cant wait to see the game!

The Scotty A Show
Waterboy

Post by The Scotty A Show »

From an experienced broadcaster and expert analyst, if you want to beat WB you're going to have to score more points than they do. No way around it that I can see. Good luck and as someone else said, a prayer for high winds might be your best chance.

Trimble Tomcats 2023 TVC Ohio Champions
1993jumper
Waterboy

Post by 1993jumper »

mt1fan wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 8:36 am
1993jumper wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 8:21 am

What?
username is mt1fan

Blueaces1
Waterboy

Post by Blueaces1 »

Thanks for the responses! Our best all around player is our MLB and our top WR. If what you say is true, he will be keying on Novak and I trust him to make plays. Our fastest WR is our CB and has a few interceptions and blocked kicks on the year. Our other CB is tall, but not the greatest in pass coverage but adequate. Our dline is pretty good up front, so if our plan is to pressure, I’m sure we can get there some. Our safety is also a starting WR and punt returner, with good ball skills. We have been able to run the ball on every team we’ve played this year, and we’ve been very successful at passing with Crouch at QB. If he can go this week and pass from the pocket, we could outscore them. If Ernsberger is at QB, we still have a shot but we haven’t moved the ball as efficiently without Crouch. Based on the Jackson Scores against them, I think it will be a very good game. How was Jackson’s pass D all year?

Abe Froman
S

Post by Abe Froman »

Blueaces1 wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 7:54 pm Hello fellas. What’s it going to take for my Blue Aces to beat Western Brown this week? How did they beat Jackson last week? What could Jackson have done differently? We have a good defense, but have not been great at times in coverage. We also have not played a team who likes to pass that much. We also lost our QB Carsyn Crouch for the season, but if he does play, he won’t be mobile, which made him hard to stop, much like Novak. I’m guessing our coach or any good coach will try to pound the ball on offense and chew some clock, and try to limit big plays on defense. I’m assuming this was Jackson’s game plan as well? What are western Browns weaknesses?

If Granville has the athletes to go man and play press/bump coverage that leaves the ability to send someone off the edge or up the middle or to spy. Defensive line rush must be oriented to not get completely out of position otherwise he just takes advantage of the lane.

Easier to write that than execute it.

Jackson had two picks, so he isn't infallible by any stretch. Jackson capitalized on neither of those as I recall. Ironmen played zone for most part first half and gave up 3 TD's; played man second half for most part and gave up 2 TD's I think.

Comment above is correct. He probably is different in person and live than watching a HUDL video, has a good knack for when to take off and when to keep eyes downfield. Honestly WB's biggest plays came from when he scrambled or was forced to roll-out and made something out of nothing.

Depends if you got the athletes to play man on 5-wide.

Athens used this strategy in 2014 - basically had an ok defense and outscored everyone. I mean it almost worked, scored what 50 in the state final and lost. Similar concept that WB is using, score every time and try and make your opponent punt once.

Should be a good game.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Blueaces1 wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 3:12 pm Thanks for the responses! Our best all around player is our MLB and our top WR. If what you say is true, he will be keying on Novak and I trust him to make plays. Our fastest WR is our CB and has a few interceptions and blocked kicks on the year. Our other CB is tall, but not the greatest in pass coverage but adequate. Our dline is pretty good up front, so if our plan is to pressure, I’m sure we can get there some. Our safety is also a starting WR and punt returner, with good ball skills. We have been able to run the ball on every team we’ve played this year, and we’ve been very successful at passing with Crouch at QB. If he can go this week and pass from the pocket, we could outscore them. If Ernsberger is at QB, we still have a shot but we haven’t moved the ball as efficiently without Crouch. Based on the Jackson Scores against them, I think it will be a very good game. How was Jackson’s pass D all year?
Pretty good

Return to “Football”