How can Granville beat Western Brown

beg003
All Conference

Re: How can Granville beat Western Brown

Post by beg003 »

Attack wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 1:08 pm
greygoose wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 12:47 pm
Attack wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 10:24 am

In your opinion how does the WB QB compare to Joe Burrow when he was playing at Athens?
Similar players I believe, think Burrow was a little faster both very accurate, guessing WB QB has a bit more arm strength at this age but not much. Major difference in the 2 and trying to compare is Burrow had a lot more overall talent around him. Keep in mind Burrow had a D1 back, while Novak goes 5 wide every single down. Both very good at reading the defense and anticipating where the WR was going to be open at, Novak has 110 more pass attempts in 2 less games compared to Burrows senior year. Novak has to carry the team and every team knows it, Burrow had a TON of talent on the offensive side of the ball. Leading rusher for WB outside of Novak has only 84 carries for 393 yards in 13 games. Williams senior year he rushed for 2,300 yards and 44 tds and went full D1 scholarship to Northwestern.
Thanks for the comparison. I think a lot of people forget, and not to take anything away from what he did, that Burrow had all that D1 talent around him. The two twins went to OU as receivers, Williams to NW and seems like there was another one, maybe Saltzman?
Saltzman rushed for 2,000 yds the next year and went to Georgetown to play. Wiseman was a really good player too.

Attack
Freshman Team

Post by Attack »

beg003 wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 1:33 pm
Attack wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 1:08 pm
greygoose wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 12:47 pm

Similar players I believe, think Burrow was a little faster both very accurate, guessing WB QB has a bit more arm strength at this age but not much. Major difference in the 2 and trying to compare is Burrow had a lot more overall talent around him. Keep in mind Burrow had a D1 back, while Novak goes 5 wide every single down. Both very good at reading the defense and anticipating where the WR was going to be open at, Novak has 110 more pass attempts in 2 less games compared to Burrows senior year. Novak has to carry the team and every team knows it, Burrow had a TON of talent on the offensive side of the ball. Leading rusher for WB outside of Novak has only 84 carries for 393 yards in 13 games. Williams senior year he rushed for 2,300 yards and 44 tds and went full D1 scholarship to Northwestern.
Thanks for the comparison. I think a lot of people forget, and not to take anything away from what he did, that Burrow had all that D1 talent around him. The two twins went to OU as receivers, Williams to NW and seems like there was another one, maybe Saltzman?
Saltzman rushed for 2,000 yds the next year and went to Georgetown to play. Wiseman was a really good player too.
Oh yeah I had forgotten about Wiseman.

teach1coach2
All State

Post by teach1coach2 »

Congrats to Granville on outscoring WB.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

Granville’s defense played it exactly the way I was mentioning. WB with the never die attitude after being down 50-28 early 4th. Granville defense was able to get just enough stops where the WB defense simply couldn’t. WB will be back for sure next year as they return 9-10 guys on offense.

teach1coach2
All State

Post by teach1coach2 »

Was the QB a junior?

NEO80
Riding the Bench

Post by NEO80 »

Good game

formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

WB's defense was an absolute dumpster fire. Haley from Granville ran for 246 and 6 TD's.

ironman02
SEOP

Post by ironman02 »

greygoose wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 10:43 pm Granville’s defense played it exactly the way I was mentioning.
And still gave up 49. Facing an offense like WB is almost impossible for nearly every team at the high school level. It’s not just a Jackson problem. Jackson gave up 35 twice. Clinton-Massie gave up 35. The key is to take advantage when you do happen to get a stop or turnover, and outscore them. CM did that by 7. Granville did it by 8. Too many turnovers the first game for Jackson, too many drive-killing penalties in the playoff game. What Jackson did schematically on defense is obviously what they felt gave them the best shot based on their personnel. It didn’t turn out to be any worse than what any other team has done against WB all season, but glad you and Granville figured it out and held them to 14 MORE than what Jackson did.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

formerfcfan wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 12:34 am WB's defense was an absolute dumpster fire. Haley from Granville ran for 246 and 6 TD's.
Yeah Haley was very impressive always goy yards after contact and simply refused to go down. Also given that was their backup QB kid was pretty impressive nice arm and made the play when asked to. #5 for Granville was just a matchup nightmare at first I thought it was just a big TE playing WR until he burnt the DB a few different times one for a big TD right before half.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

ironman02 wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 2:15 am
greygoose wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 10:43 pm Granville’s defense played it exactly the way I was mentioning.
And still gave up 49. Facing an offense like WB is almost impossible for nearly every team at the high school level. It’s not just a Jackson problem. Jackson gave up 35 twice. Clinton-Massie gave up 35. The key is to take advantage when you do happen to get a stop or turnover, and outscore them. CM did that by 7. Granville did it by 8. Too many turnovers the first game for Jackson, too many drive-killing penalties in the playoff game. What Jackson did schematically on defense is obviously what they felt gave them the best shot based on their personnel. It didn’t turn out to be any worse than what any other team has done against WB all season, but glad you and Granville figured it out and held them to 14 MORE than what Jackson did.
Honestly for anyone that actually watched that game Granville’s defense played much much better than simply looking at the final score. They forced Novak into some bad decisions and sacked him several times, they also weren’t giving up that QB draw every other play. Novak is a very tough minded kid because he was pressured a ton tonight but he kept coming back and making plays. Granville forced 2-3 turnovers and a couple more turnover on downs.

ironman02
SEOP

Post by ironman02 »

greygoose wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 2:36 am
Honestly for anyone that actually watched that game Granville’s defense played much much better than simply looking at the final score. They forced Novak into some bad decisions and sacked him several times, they also weren’t giving up that QB draw every other play. Novak is a very tough minded kid because he was pressured a ton tonight but he kept coming back and making plays. Granville forced 2-3 turnovers and a couple more turnover on downs.
Jackson also picked Novak off twice, forced a couple other stops, and sacked him a couple times (if I remember correctly). He did hurt them a lot with the QB draw. The point, though, is that you can basically only hope to limit what WB does offensively. Unless you are just head and shoulders better as a defense, you’re giving up 30+ to that offense. The key is to not turn the ball over and light up the scoreboard, which is what Granville did to win.

I’m not doubting that Granville had success on defense doing some things that Jackson didn’t do. They also have different personnel than Jackson, so I would fully expect their game plan to play toward their strengths. But also, giving up 49 (whether it didn’t seem like that much or not) isn’t exactly locking an offense down.

Abe Froman
S

Post by Abe Froman »

greygoose wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 10:43 pm Granville’s defense played it exactly the way I was mentioning. WB with the never die attitude after being down 50-28 early 4th. Granville defense was able to get just enough stops where the WB defense simply couldn’t. WB will be back for sure next year as they return 9-10 guys on offense.
Uhh, they gave up a lot of points lol. Looks like Jackson out of all the games WB played this year had the most success against WB. And was consistent in that success both games. If WB can stumble into a defense next year, look for the Region to go through them in 2022, or for them to be a least a big factor with all their weapons.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

ironman02 wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 9:25 am
greygoose wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 2:36 am
Jackson also picked Novak off twice, forced a couple other stops, and sacked him a couple times (if I remember correctly). He did hurt them a lot with the QB draw. The point, though, is that you can basically only hope to limit what WB does offensively. Unless you are just head and shoulders better as a defense, you’re giving up 30+ to that offense. The key is to not turn the ball over and light up the scoreboard, which is what Granville did to win.

I’m not doubting that Granville had success on defense doing some things that Jackson didn’t do. They also have different personnel than Jackson, so I would fully expect their game plan to play toward their strengths. But also, giving up 49 (whether it didn’t seem like that much or not) isn’t exactly locking an offense down.
Yeah that’s a tough offense to slow down, WB made some changes 2nd half as they only had 14 at the half. Yeah Granville was simply able to pressure and sack Novak pretty regularly in the 1st half. Like you said it’s all about capitalizing, Granville put up 57 which is more than Jackson could in 2 games combined they just didn’t make any mistakes when they had the ball. Biggest play might of been downing a punt after their first drive at the 1, Novak just threw it up for a pick just before the safety. Loved watching Novak and the chest match in this one, he adjusted well and I think problem better film for the young man and more experience from the things Granville did up front defensively.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

Abe Froman wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 10:52 am
greygoose wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 10:43 pm Granville’s defense played it exactly the way I was mentioning. WB with the never die attitude after being down 50-28 early 4th. Granville defense was able to get just enough stops where the WB defense simply couldn’t. WB will be back for sure next year as they return 9-10 guys on offense.
Uhh, they gave up a lot of points lol. Looks like Jackson out of all the games WB played this year had the most success against WB. And was consistent in that success both games. If WB can stumble into a defense next year, look for the Region to go through them in 2022, or for them to be a least a big factor with all their weapons.
Yeah they gave up more points in the end, 2nd half adjustments were big for WB. Granville scored more in 1 game than Jackson did in 2 combined. Granville also won their game, Jackson has struggled against passing teams year after year. Oh yes next year WB is going to be a tough tough offense, as tough as they were this year that team will be mostly seniors. Going to be a tough out.

formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

It was 50-28 with under 4:00 to play in the game when Novak found the endzone on the keeper. 50-35 -> recovered onside kick; scored. 50-42 -> onside isn't recovered; RB from Granville gets the first down and house-called it (cue the viral cliche of "it's better to just kneel it before the endzone.") 57-42; WB scores on next possession, and came close to recovering the onside.

I didn't see WB v Jackson either time around, so I can't compare them to Granville. But, having seen last night's game, Granville's D wasn't lights out but definitely competent enough and this game was never really in question in significant part to their early forced turnovers. I also have a hard time saying Granville's D played poorly based on the final score since a good chunk of that late scoring was made possible via a string of circumstances out of the D's hands (recovered onside kick by WB, Haley not kneeling the ball out.)

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

formerfcfan wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 11:36 am It was 50-28 with under 4:00 to play in the game when Novak found the endzone on the keeper. 50-35 -> recovered onside kick; scored. 50-42 -> onside isn't recovered; RB from Granville gets the first down and house-called it (cue the viral cliche of "it's better to just kneel it before the endzone.") 57-42; WB scores on next possession, and came close to recovering the onside.

I didn't see WB v Jackson either time around, so I can't compare them to Granville. But, having seen last night's game, Granville's D wasn't lights out but definitely competent enough and this game was never really in question in significant part to their early forced turnovers. I also have a hard time saying Granville's D played poorly based on the final score since a good chunk of that late scoring was made possible via a string of circumstances out of the D's hands (recovered onside kick by WB, Haley not kneeling the ball out.)
Exactly, really had to watch this one to get a true understanding of how the game ended up 1 score. Also WB had a kickoff returned to midfield in the first half to help with a scoring drive and Granville tried one of the worst onside kicks I’ve seen in the 3rd to give WB the ball at the Granville 42. Yes they kicked it from the 40 and the ball rolled to crazy it was downed at the 42. Main difference in the 2 games Jackson didn’t make or WB was able to stop them from making them pay for a mistake. Granville forced turnovers and turnovers on downs and scored each time. 1st half Granville applied a lot of pressure even when they only rushed 3. It was an interesting chest match up front.

Ironmen98
All State

Post by Ironmen98 »

Jackson was the best defense western brown faced. They just didn’t get enough offensive output .

Dandy Don
All Conference

Post by Dandy Don »

greygoose wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 4:23 pm Exactly, really had to watch this one to get a true understanding of how the game ended up 1 score. Also WB had a kickoff returned to midfield in the first half to help with a scoring drive and Granville tried one of the worst onside kicks I’ve seen in the 3rd to give WB the ball at the Granville 42. Yes they kicked it from the 40 and the ball rolled to crazy it was downed at the 42. Main difference in the 2 games Jackson didn’t make or WB was able to stop them from making them pay for a mistake. Granville forced turnovers and turnovers on downs and scored each time. 1st half Granville applied a lot of pressure even when they only rushed 3. It was an interesting chest match up front.
Gotta love those chest matches

ironman02
SEOP

Post by ironman02 »

greygoose wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 11:03 am
Yeah that’s a tough offense to slow down, WB made some changes 2nd half as they only had 14 at the half. Yeah Granville was simply able to pressure and sack Novak pretty regularly in the 1st half. Like you said it’s all about capitalizing, Granville put up 57 which is more than Jackson could in 2 games combined they just didn’t make any mistakes when they had the ball. Biggest play might of been downing a punt after their first drive at the 1, Novak just threw it up for a pick just before the safety. Loved watching Novak and the chest match in this one, he adjusted well and I think problem better film for the young man and more experience from the things Granville did up front defensively.
Gonna try this one last time since I think you’re missing my point. I’m not trying to say that Jackson is better than Granville. I’m not even trying to say that Jackson’s defense is better than Granville’s.

You talked a lot of the last week or so about how terrible Jackson’s defensive game plan was against WB, and you said the same about Clinton-Massie. You stated what they “should” have done and then when Granville did some of the things you suggested, you acted like it was the clear answer to playing against WB. Even if it was 50-28 late in the game, that’s still basically the exact same result that Jackson achieved in both their games against WB. Late TDs in both games got the point totals allowed by Jackson to 33 and 35 respectively.

Acting like Jackson’s game plan was absolutely preposterous, while commending yourself and Granville for achieving the same or worse result is absurd. That make sense now? Granville is clearly the best team in the region, but they also had a tough time stopping an explosive offense. Maybe, just maybe, WB has an offense that is tough to stop no matter what scheme you decide to play against them.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

ironman02 wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 7:16 pm
greygoose wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 11:03 am
Gonna try this one last time since I think you’re missing my point. I’m not trying to say that Jackson is better than Granville. I’m not even trying to say that Jackson’s defense is better than Granville’s.

You talked a lot of the last week or so about how terrible Jackson’s defensive game plan was against WB, and you said the same about Clinton-Massie. You stated what they “should” have done and then when Granville did some of the things you suggested, you acted like it was the clear answer to playing against WB. Even if it was 50-28 late in the game, that’s still basically the exact same result that Jackson achieved in both their games against WB. Late TDs in both games got the point totals allowed by Jackson to 33 and 35 respectively.

Acting like Jackson’s game plan was absolutely preposterous, while commending yourself and Granville for achieving the same or worse result is absurd. That make sense now? Granville is clearly the best team in the region, but they also had a tough time stopping an explosive offense. Maybe, just maybe, WB has an offense that is tough to stop no matter what scheme you decide to play against them.
WB is tough to stop but Granville had a plan in place that was able to stop/slow them down far better than anyone else, I'm hoping you actually watched the game so you understand. I did say I didn't like Jackson's game plan defensively, never said it was terrible, assuming you watch that game then you understand why. Be upset all ya want I really could care less, you're not exactly a Jackson poster anyways spoke with several and they understand and you're popping on here a week late and a dollar short to try troll it. Good Luck man my point was proven correct by Granville, 50-28 Jackson or Clinton Massie ever have that sort of lead?? NOPE at 6-6 Novak is simply to good to let sit back there and pick it apart if Granville didn't get pressure he was able to hit WRs against them as well. Have fun, hope you enjoyed the games even though it's obvious you didn't watch any.

Return to “Football”