Wellston Coaching Search

WellstonLover
Riding the Bench

Wellston Coaching Search

Post by WellstonLover »

Since coach smith decided to leave, who are potential candidates for us? It sucks that we had a guy who put us in the playoffs back to back years and won a TVC title just leave us. Hopefully the next guy can keep us at that level.

Bradley39
Riding the Bench

Re: Wellston Coaching Search

Post by Bradley39 »

Has the job been posted publicly yet?

wellstongoldenhotdog
Waterboy

Post by wellstongoldenhotdog »

Hopefully we can get a decent offensive coordinator, too.

Ground Buck
All Conference

Post by Ground Buck »

They need to get ahold of ole Dutch. He had those kids running through brick walls when he was there before. He would be my top pick if I was a on the hiring committee. :mrgreen:

Disclaimer: This is all an opinion and I am therefore hoping we can still express opinions on this site without retort.
2Time
Freshman Team

Post by 2Time »

First off, hats off to coach Smith on a fantastic tenure at Wellston compared to most that have coached here with a 17-11 record, a TVC title, and 3 Playoff appearances. That’s the most success Wellston has on the gridiron since 04-06 under Heath Hinton when he led the Rockets to two state playoff appearances and never went below .500 compiling a record of 19-11. Had Covid not factored in my guess is Coach Smith would of matched or beat coach Hintons win total.

With all that being said hopefully the Rockets can find someone to sustain that level of success and continue to build the program as there are a lot of bright young athletes coming up at Wellston.

Farmer Yoder
Freshman Team

Post by Farmer Yoder »

Ground Buck wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 2:25 pm They need to get ahold of ole Dutch. He had those kids running through brick walls when he was there before. He would be my top pick if I was a on the hiring committee. :mrgreen:
Whatever they decide to do they must find a proven winner to continue what Smitty Blaster has started

Wellston Ironman
Freshman Team

Post by Wellston Ironman »

So i have been watching this unfold and I have a few things to say:

1. The BOE needs to get on top of this. Donut sales in my business has dropped. These fat bottomed girls that have kids in the program are afraid we will go back to the days of old. They are actually exercising instead of eating to burn off stress. We need to get their big butts back out on Mulga Road with some chocolate covered donuts and some ski.

2. They need a coach that can get the kids to run through brick walls like Old Dutch used to do. it would be good if the successful candidate had a nickname that was inspirational to his players and struck fear in the hearts of opposing coaches and the refs who work the games. VC hit it big with their candidate and we need to follow suit. Smitty Blaster did a good job but we need to further up the ante.

What say you? Who ya got on our wish list of candidates?

The BEST thing about people from Wellston is that they have JACKSON on their license plates!
FatnOld
Waterboy

Post by FatnOld »

Where did Jaylen Prater go after Northwestern? Man he would be exciting

gator81
Freshman Team

Post by gator81 »

Three years and change, is a hard road. It is definately time for a new OC.

hsfbfan
Varsity

Post by hsfbfan »

2Time wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 8:00 pm First off, hats off to coach Smith on a fantastic tenure at Wellston compared to most that have coached here with a 17-11 record, a TVC title, and 3 Playoff appearances. That’s the most success Wellston has on the gridiron since 04-06 under Heath Hinton when he led the Rockets to two state playoff appearances and never went below .500 compiling a record of 19-11. Had Covid not factored in my guess is Coach Smith would of matched or beat coach Hintons win total.

With all that being said hopefully the Rockets can find someone to sustain that level of success and continue to build the program as there are a lot of bright young athletes coming up at Wellston.
Mike Smith was 16-10 regular season and 1-3 in the playoffs. 17-13 overall.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

I think the last time this came up a Jackson assistant’s name came up….3 years later I think he’d do a good job. Not sure he’s interested for a couple of reasons but I certainly don’t know that.

Koondogger 2.1
Freshman Team

Post by Koondogger 2.1 »

Would the Gambler ever consider a change? It sure seems like the Rockets have some Rutterness brewing and what better hire than a guy who has made a creeer out of embarassing the Buckeyes.

2Time
Freshman Team

Post by 2Time »

hsfbfan wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 12:38 pm
2Time wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 8:00 pm First off, hats off to coach Smith on a fantastic tenure at Wellston compared to most that have coached here with a 17-11 record, a TVC title, and 3 Playoff appearances. That’s the most success Wellston has on the gridiron since 04-06 under Heath Hinton when he led the Rockets to two state playoff appearances and never went below .500 compiling a record of 19-11. Had Covid not factored in my guess is Coach Smith would of matched or beat coach Hintons win total.

Mike Smith was 16-10 regular season and 1-3 in the playoffs. 17-13 overall.
True forgot the 5th win last year was a playoff game COVID crazy ness thing. As for the other games I didn’t count playoff games for regular season record. Thanks for the corrections!

Boston Creampuff
Riding the Bench

Post by Boston Creampuff »

They need someone who can beat Nelsonville. That list is pretty short.

MTSWNGRVSG
SE

Post by MTSWNGRVSG »

Will any of the current assistant coaches be considered?

koondoger
JV Team

Post by koondoger »

MTSWNGRVSG wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 1:07 pm Will any of the current assistant coaches be considered?
When I called to inquire they said no one from inside. Made it sound like they want to go in a new direction.

Retirement life is the greatest! That's how teh koondoger sees it! Selling cars ain't too bad neither. :mrgreen:
countywide35
SEOP

Post by countywide35 »

Too bad for the Rockets. Good for Coach Smith.

It’s hard for me to ever believe that this job will not be more then just a stepping stone in someone’s career.

The ones that did want to stay they found reasons to run em off. For whatever the reason may be. They found one to push em out the door. The ones that had success find another school to go to in less then 5yrs.

Good Luck wellston.

2019 FAC Football Pick’Em Champion
WildManWill
Waterboy

Post by WildManWill »

countywide35 wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 9:07 am Too bad for the Rockets. Good for Coach Smith.

It’s hard for me to ever believe that this job will not be more then just a stepping stone in someone’s career.

The ones that did want to stay they found reasons to run em off. For whatever the reason may be. They found one to push em out the door. The ones that had success find another school to go to in less then 5yrs.

Good Luck wellston.

Not as cut n’dry here… Unfortunately a whole lot more to this one…

countywide35
SEOP

Post by countywide35 »

WildManWill wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 6:45 pm
countywide35 wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 9:07 am Too bad for the Rockets. Good for Coach Smith.

Good Luck wellston.

End result is always the same. Again, Whatever the reason may be.

Wellston ALWAYS finds theirselves in this situation.

Looking for a football coach…..since 1990-2021. 31yrs. It’s been the SAME THING.

I hate it for Wellston. No, I hate it for ALL the KIDS that has come thru that program the last 31yrs. Been good teams yes. Some GReAT players that come thru on back to back to back to back to back teams since 1990 that would have BUILT a program. Zero sunstained succes ? N why ? The coaches door has a temporary lock on it. No wonder kids from wellston want to go 10miles down the road to Jackson.

how in the world do you EVER build anything like that ? You don’t.

Good Luck Wellston. Hope this time you can figure it out.

2019 FAC Football Pick’Em Champion
WildManWill
Waterboy

Post by WildManWill »

countywide35 wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 9:10 am
WildManWill wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 6:45 pm

Good Luck wellston.

End result is always the same. Again, Whatever the reason may be.

Wellston ALWAYS finds theirselves in this situation.

Looking for a football coach…..since 1990-2021. 31yrs. It’s been the SAME THING.

I hate it for Wellston. No, I hate it for ALL the KIDS that has come thru that program the last 31yrs. Been good teams yes. Some GReAT players that come thru on back to back to back to back to back teams since 1990 that would have BUILT a program. Zero sunstained succes ? N why ? The coaches door has a temporary lock on it. No wonder kids from wellston want to go 10miles down the road to Jackson.

how in the world do you EVER build anything like that ? You don’t.

Good Luck Wellston. Hope this time you can figure it out.
WildManWill agrees with you , it’s just, the context of this situation is way different than years past is all I’m sayin’.

Here’s to hoping the Golden Rockets can find their Golden man.

Return to “Football”