Jacquez Keys averaged over 10 yards per carry on season for Tigers but his touches were limited

RJShifko
Riding the Bench

Re: Jacquez Keys averaged over 10 yards per carry on season for Tigers but his touches were limited

Post by RJShifko »

Still don’t get it how the dude wasn’t 15-20 touches a game he was a monster

XandOs
Varsity

Re: Jacquez Keys averaged over 10 yards per carry on season for Tigers but his touches were limited

Post by XandOs »

WinOrGoHome wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 9:44 pm Trying to figure out the logic in this. I'm not asking because I think I know better than the coaches I'm just trying to understand why if you are dealing with injuries at QB and multiple injuries to multiple quarterbacks and a offensive front considered a strength of your team, why would you limit his touches?
I tried to figure this out too as many were complaining about this. Here’s what I came up with when I dug into why.
6 of the conference games were over at half time. Most of those games were when the QB came back from injury and they were trying to develop a passing game for a deeper run. So him getting 8-10 carries most of those games and close to 100 yds = 10 yds per carry. All of those games were over at half time and Ironton was scoring many of those games on drives less than 5 plays. He was also injured I think 1 or 2 of those early big games and stood in street clothes. Then the first playoff game was a blow out. Both Portsmouth games he had 16 carries. One game he only amassed 41 yds and the other he went just over 100. In the Wheelersburg game he had 19 carries for 130+ yds but saw where a coach gave break down of plays in game and most of those carries were in first half. Ironton only had ball for 1 series in 4th Qtr. Went 3 and out and turned the ball over twice in 3rd qtr when Keyes was trying to get rolling. I realized after reading into it a little more that these stats are deceiving. Keyes led Ironton in carries this year so it wasn’t like others were getting more touches. Was hard to make sense of this when season ended and stats came out but now it makes much more sense. No Ironton kids including Carrico had crazy numbers during their career due in part to the conference they play in and not playing more than a half in those games. That’s 6-7 games a year of the starters not playing much. The same thing happens with the Kirtland kids and many other schools that dominate their conference.

SWHITE2002
JV Team

Post by SWHITE2002 »

Ironton has not been disciplined the last few years. Turnovers (Fumbles especially). For the most part they have been physically dominant enough over local teams to overcome it.

MrFirstTake
SE

Post by MrFirstTake »

SWHITE2002 wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 10:25 am Ironton has not been disciplined the last few years. Turnovers (Fumbles especially). For the most part they have been physically dominant enough over local teams to overcome it.
This is the truth at some point it has to stop if they ever want to reach their full potential because it’s been like this every year I’ve said it a thousand times

no competition don't gotta compete, I'm already winning this isn't defeat 😵
SciotoCfootball
Varsity

Post by SciotoCfootball »

XandOs wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 3:38 pm
WinOrGoHome wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 9:44 pm Trying to figure out the logic in this. I'm not asking because I think I know better than the coaches I'm just trying to understand why if you are dealing with injuries at QB and multiple injuries to multiple quarterbacks and a offensive front considered a strength of your team, why would you limit his touches?
I tried to figure this out too as many were complaining about this. Here’s what I came up with when I dug into why.
6 of the conference games were over at half time. Most of those games were when the QB came back from injury and they were trying to develop a passing game for a deeper run. So him getting 8-10 carries most of those games and close to 100 yds = 10 yds per carry. All of those games were over at half time and Ironton was scoring many of those games on drives less than 5 plays. He was also injured I think 1 or 2 of those early big games and stood in street clothes. Then the first playoff game was a blow out. Both Portsmouth games he had 16 carries. One game he only amassed 41 yds and the other he went just over 100. In the Wheelersburg game he had 19 carries for 130+ yds but saw where a coach gave break down of plays in game and most of those carries were in first half. Ironton only had ball for 1 series in 4th Qtr. Went 3 and out and turned the ball over twice in 3rd qtr when Keyes was trying to get rolling. I realized after reading into it a little more that these stats are deceiving. Keyes led Ironton in carries this year so it wasn’t like others were getting more touches. Was hard to make sense of this when season ended and stats came out but now it makes much more sense. No Ironton kids including Carrico had crazy numbers during their career due in part to the conference they play in and not playing more than a half in those games. That’s 6-7 games a year of the starters not playing much. The same thing happens with the Kirtland kids and many other schools that dominate their conference.
Puts things into perspective more 👌

TigerMania
JV Team

Post by TigerMania »

This kid who is your biggest playmaker wasn’t even on the field when the game mattered the most the last possession against burg, so I think it is all coaching. Go back and watch the game.

XandOs
Varsity

Post by XandOs »

TigerMania wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 11:24 am This kid who is your biggest playmaker wasn’t even on the field when the game mattered the most the last possession against burg, so I think it is all coaching. Go back and watch the game.
He’s a RB. They had to go 80 yds in 1 min and 30 secs with no timeouts. If coach calls a run during that series it is all coaching. How many passes did #7 catch in regular season. I know #15 was a converted WR. So we know he has good hands.

Beergogglebluez
SE

Post by Beergogglebluez »

TigerMania wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 11:24 am This kid who is your biggest playmaker wasn’t even on the field when the game mattered the most the last possession against burg, so I think it is all coaching. Go back and watch the game.
I pointed it out numerous times that night. He barely played defense and was the workhorse on offense. The last quarter I’m not sure he played defense at all.

Operation Iraqi freedom 3. Sadr city/ eastern Baghdad 2005
XandOs
Varsity

Post by XandOs »

He broke a 60 yd. run. On 2nd carry. He then had 18 more carries for about 70 yds.

XandOs
Varsity

Post by XandOs »

Ironton gave up less than 8 pts per game for 3rd year in a row. Keyes played minimal defensive snaps this year. I don’t think him playing D had an impact on the game. Didn’t Wheelersburg barely get over the century mark.

TigerMania
JV Team

Post by TigerMania »

XandOs wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 11:28 am
He’s a RB. They had to go 80 yds in 1 min and 30 secs with no timeouts. If coach calls a run during that series it is all coaching. How many passes did #7 catch in regular season. I know #15 was a converted WR. So we know he has good hands.
Okay your right with time and yards to go. If defense is thinking pass why not a draw or handoff to him some then the defense would have to play both pass and the run. I’d say you have answer for that too! Come on JP.

TigerMania
JV Team

Post by TigerMania »

XandOs wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 11:34 am He broke a 60 yd. run. On 2nd carry. He then had 18 more carries for about 70 yds.
You just answered my question why wasn’t most explosive offensive player on the field at the end of the game=coaching. Watch the game!

XandOs
Varsity

Post by XandOs »

TigerMania wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 12:01 pm
Okay your right with time and yards to go. If defense is thinking pass why not a draw or handoff to him some then the defense would have to play both pass and the run. I’d say you have answer for that too! Come on JP.

If a coach calls a run in that situation and he’s tackled without picking up a first down you just ate up a ton of clock and then have to spike the ball. I thought you knew better than that being an ex coach. Don’t know who JP is but good try. I’m an Ironton grad . You can keep guessing. Try 1982

TigerMania
JV Team

Post by TigerMania »

XandOs wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 12:17 pm

If a coach calls a run in that situation and he’s tackled without picking up a first down you just ate up a ton of clock and then have to spike the ball. I thought you knew better than that being an ex coach. Don’t know who JP is but good try. I’m an Ironton grad . You can keep guessing. Try 1982
We could argue on here for days about this. All I’m going to say is the kid is really good and if Ironton is not going to use him anymore than they have, then he should look for another school to showcase his skills. Was you on the 79 team that won state? If so congratulations!

XandOs
Varsity

Post by XandOs »

TigerMania wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 12:56 pm
XandOs wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 12:17 pm

We could argue on here for days about this. All I’m going to say is the kid is really good and if Ironton is not going to use him anymore than they have, then he should look for another school to showcase his skills. Was you on the 79 team that won state? If so congratulations!
Do you think stats get these kids offers?

Return to “Football”