SEO Observation

ItsMyOpinion
Varsity

Re: SEO Observation

Post by ItsMyOpinion »

I think a lot of times it is the rivalry between schools and communities that cause people and especially students to act a certain way. I can remember sitting at the Convo the year Valley boys basketball team was playing in I believe the Regionals against Columbus Ready ('13?). There was a group of Wheelersburg students openly rooting against Valley. I didn't take it for anything more than the rivalry between Valley and Wheelersburg. Perfect example of this kind of behavior is OSU fans. They root against Michigan regardless of who they are playing even though a Michigan victory would add more credibility to the Big Ten.

Rivalries in southern Ohio are the BEST. There are so many small schools and communities. The communities are so intermingled it makes for great rivalries. Wheelersburg students do it to other schools just like other schools do it to Wheelersburg and so forth. It adds to the fun and excitement. I wouldn't want it any other way.

Kicker.
All Conference

Post by Kicker. »

ItsMyOpinion wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 9:45 am I think a lot of times it is the rivalry between schools and communities that cause people and especially students to act a certain way. I can remember sitting at the Convo the year Valley boys basketball team was playing in I believe the Regionals against Columbus Ready ('13?). There was a group of Wheelersburg students openly rooting against Valley. I didn't take it for anything more than the rivalry between Valley and Wheelersburg. Perfect example of this kind of behavior is OSU fans. They root against Michigan regardless of who they are playing even though a Michigan victory would add more credibility to the Big Ten.

Rivalries in southern Ohio are the BEST. There are so many small schools and communities. The communities are so intermingled it makes for great rivalries. Wheelersburg students do it to other schools just like other schools do it to Wheelersburg and so forth. It adds to the fun and excitement. I wouldn't want it any other way.
This is the best response. I do not care or openly root for any of Waverlys rivals during the year win or lose I do not care. I think it’s a lot nicer when everyone in the area rallied behind a team and supports them but I get why some root against them

A Kicker of various balls. Trust The Process
Burg94
Riding the Bench

Post by Burg94 »

Not talking about regular season at all. Nothing is off limits. West even stole our Canon one year, when deep down is pretty funny! Mainly emphasizing support in post-season when its us southern folk against the world. All is fair in love and war! No matter what, love the enthusiasm in our towns.

ItsMyOpinion
Varsity

Post by ItsMyOpinion »

It will be interesting to see if Wheelersburg fans and all of Southern Ohio turn into Michigan fans next weekend! Lol!! Using “Burg94’s” philosophy that all of Southern Ohio should root for local teams regardless of rivalry, then southern Ohio should turn into Wolverine fans this week. I mean since Michigan is the only Big Ten team with a chance to represent the Big Ten in the College Football Playoffs! “We should want Michigan to win and go on to win the National Championship. The National Championship” will make Big Ten football look better.

But I think we all know most of Southern Ohio will not be rooting for Michigan. I think that explains why not all of southern Ohio roots for local teams. I think it is funny when the team that wins thinks everybody should root for them because of geographic ties.

Like I said ….. when the Wheelersburg students were rooting against Valley I didn’t look down on Wheelersburg. I just viewed it as a local rivalry.

Proud_Pirate63
S

Post by Proud_Pirate63 »

For me, college football is different than high school football. Some college programs not only have a local following but a national following as well. So no, I will never root for Michigan.

Arnie
Waterboy

Post by Arnie »

Arnie wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 12:24 pm The bigger problem for SEO teams is they can't regularly compete with teams from above I-70. It's just a different brand of football and different attitude about being able to compete in the other areas of the state.
I realize fans from SEO don't want to admit this, but the biggest problem is expectations. Just this season alone I saw fans from one of the "perennial" playoff teams from SEO complaining about a bad draw and that another team got a "lucky" draw even before the playoffs began. Then, after they lost they complained about "bad calls." This is common among folks from SEO but I can't ever remember a fan from NC, Kirtland, the MAC etc... ever making those types of complaints. Making excuses before a game ever starts and adding more excuses after a loss tells me expectations are low. On the other side of it those teams I mentioned just play and expect to beat whoever they are paired with. I get it that this is a hard pill to swallow but deep down I think most folks down in that area know it's true, and it's a problem.

Ironmen98
All State

Post by Ironmen98 »

Arnie wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 10:07 am
greygoose wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 9:27 am
Arnie wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 11:54 am

I realize fans from SEO don't want to admit this, but the biggest problem is expectations. Just this season alone I saw fans from one of the "perennial" playoff teams from SEO complaining about a bad draw and that another team got a "lucky" draw even before the playoffs began. Then, after they lost they complained about "bad calls." This is common among folks from SEO but I can't ever remember a fan from NC, Kirtland, the MAC etc... ever making those types of complaints. Making excuses before a game ever starts and adding more excuses after a loss tells me expectations are low. On the other side of it those teams I mentioned just play and expect to beat whoever they are paired with. I get it that this is a hard pill to swallow but deep down I think most folks down in that area know it's true, and it's a problem.
Of course ppl are going to complain about this or that and yeah when they lose they'll complain about bad calls. It's human nature and you're 100% kidding yourself if you feel that fans from above the I70 are any different, that's just human nature in sports. Most ppl want to deny their team flat out lost, rather it's easier to find an excuse as to why they lost in order to cope with it better. "Yeah we lost, but those officials made 1 or 2 really bad calls that cost us the game", forget playing an entire game and coming up short those 2 calls done us in. To think that any other fan base is different is pretty silly honestly, it's just human nature, we didn't get beat because of our mistake we got beat because of the mistakes of others. It's simple justification and reasoning behind that thought process, it's done at every level and every fan base it's not confined to SEO.
WOW, you must either be a mind reader or you have lived in every community in the state. Otherwise, you surely wouldn't be making such a blanket statement. I have lived and coached in SEO and NEO. Believe me, the attitude is totally different. Oh and I left out that fans in SEO complain about having to play private schools too. But many wait until they lose to them to lodge the "well if we could recruit the whole state like they do we'd never lose..." complaint. :lol:
Are you saying that only fans from SEO vent or complain about terrible calls ? Even those calls than be shown on film ?

No other fans in the state do this ?

Arnie
Waterboy

Post by Arnie »

Ironmen98 wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 11:15 am
greygoose wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 9:27 am

Of course ppl are going to complain about this or that and yeah when they lose they'll complain about bad calls. It's human nature and you're 100% kidding yourself if you feel that fans from above the I70 are any different, that's just human nature in sports. Most ppl want to deny their team flat out lost, rather it's easier to find an excuse as to why they lost in order to cope with it better. "Yeah we lost, but those officials made 1 or 2 really bad calls that cost us the game", forget playing an entire game and coming up short those 2 calls done us in. To think that any other fan base is different is pretty silly honestly, it's just human nature, we didn't get beat because of our mistake we got beat because of the mistakes of others. It's simple justification and reasoning behind that thought process, it's done at every level and every fan base it's not confined to SEO.
WOW, you must either be a mind reader or you have lived in every community in the state. Otherwise, you surely wouldn't be making such a blanket statement. I have lived and coached in SEO and NEO. Believe me, the attitude is totally different. Oh and I left out that fans in SEO complain about having to play private schools too. But many wait until they lose to them to lodge the "well if we could recruit the whole state like they do we'd never lose..." complaint. :lol:
Are you saying that only fans from SEO vent or complain about terrible calls ? Even those calls than be shown on film ?

No, that's not what I'm saying. What I am saying is there is way more of that in SEO than in other parts of the state. There is a certain team there that I have coached against and any time they lose it's either the other team "got lucky," the "refs screwed us," or "we're just young but you just wait until next year because we have everyone back." Teams from there, including that one, also complain about a whole host of variables out of their control and blame losses on them such as, "if we could recruit like they do," and "they got a lucky draw and we didn't," etc. Even the most successful SEO teams accuse other teams of recruiting as the reason for their success. Can you tell me you don't see that on here?

Ironmen98
All State

Post by Ironmen98 »

Arnie wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 12:30 pm

No, that's not what I'm saying. What I am saying is there is way more of that in SEO than in other parts of the state. There is a certain team there that I have coached against and any time they lose it's either the other team "got lucky," the "refs screwed us," or "we're just young but you just wait until next year because we have everyone back." Teams from there, including that one, also complain about a whole host of variables out of their control and blame losses on them such as, "if we could recruit like they do," and "they got a lucky draw and we didn't," etc. Even the most successful SEO teams accuse other teams of recruiting as the reason for their success. Can you tell me you don't see that on here?

Well this is a silly talk forum by people with fake names so I don’t put a lot of stock in these posts. Second I am curious as to what data you have that people in SEO complain more than other parts of the state. Is it your opinion or do you have a study ?

Arnie
Waterboy

Post by Arnie »

greygoose wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 12:39 pm

You really should be reading your original post before trying to steer from what yourself from what you said in the beginning. I mean even in this above part saying SEO and NEO, believe me the attitude is totally different. So yes 100% you are trying to say only those in SEO complain about calls or give excuses for losses and the NEO just has a totally different outlook on it. It's hilarious, then again looking back on your post you seem to have adopted the above/below I70 motto.
Show me where I said no one in NEO complains. See, there you go trying to pass your opinion off as fact again. :mrgreen:

Arnie
Waterboy

Post by Arnie »

Ironmen98 wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 12:57 pm

Well this is a silly talk forum by people with fake names so I don’t put a lot of stock in these posts. Second I am curious as to what data you have that people in SEO complain more than other parts of the state. Is it your opinion or do you have a study ?
No study conducted. This is based on my experience coaching in both areas as well as reading posts on here as well as other forums. As I said there are whole threads devoted to making excuses about losing on here. I'm sure you've read some of them.

Proud_Pirate63
S

Post by Proud_Pirate63 »

Arnie wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 1:01 pm
greygoose wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 12:39 pm

You really should be reading your original post before trying to steer from what yourself from what you said in the beginning. I mean even in this above part saying SEO and NEO, believe me the attitude is totally different. So yes 100% you are trying to say only those in SEO complain about calls or give excuses for losses and the NEO just has a totally different outlook on it. It's hilarious, then again looking back on your post you seem to have adopted the above/below I70 motto.
Show me where I said no one in NEO complains. See, there you go trying to pass your opinion off as fact again. :mrgreen:
Arnie wrote: ↑

Is this not an earlier post of yours?

Fan Friday
Freshman Team

Post by Fan Friday »

ItsMyOpinion wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 11:17 am It will be interesting to see if Wheelersburg fans and all of Southern Ohio turn into Michigan fans next weekend! Lol!! Using “Burg94’s” philosophy that all of Southern Ohio should root for local teams regardless of rivalry, then southern Ohio should turn into Wolverine fans this week. I mean since Michigan is the only Big Ten team with a chance to represent the Big Ten in the College Football Playoffs! “We should want Michigan to win and go on to win the National Championship. The National Championship” will make Big Ten football look better.

But I think we all know most of Southern Ohio will not be rooting for Michigan. I think that explains why not all of southern Ohio roots for local teams. I think it is funny when the team that wins thinks everybody should root for them because of geographic ties.

Like I said ….. when the Wheelersburg students were rooting against Valley I didn’t look down on Wheelersburg. I just viewed it as a local rivalry.
There was no cheering going on from Wheelersburg the past 2 seasons that Ironton went to state. The things that were being said to the players before and on their way home from the state game definitely wasn’t support😂😂 They are kids and cheering against a rival team is part of being in high school.

Bdog_198807
Varsity

Post by Bdog_198807 »

ItsMyOpinion wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 11:17 am It will be interesting to see if Wheelersburg fans and all of Southern Ohio turn into Michigan fans next weekend! Lol!! Using “Burg94’s” philosophy that all of Southern Ohio should root for local teams regardless of rivalry, then southern Ohio should turn into Wolverine fans this week. I mean since Michigan is the only Big Ten team with a chance to represent the Big Ten in the College Football Playoffs! “We should want Michigan to win and go on to win the National Championship. The National Championship” will make Big Ten football look better.

I am a die hard Buckeye. I would not mind seeing Michigan win it all However I would Rather see Cincinnati win it all it would be great if Ohio still blew there season. Lmao but I would still be ok if they win it all.

Rza1
Freshman Team

Post by Rza1 »

Arnie wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 12:24 pm The bigger problem for SEO teams is they can't regularly compete with teams from above I-70. It's just a different brand of football and different attitude about being able to compete in the other areas of the state.
I realize fans from SEO don't want to admit this, but the biggest problem is expectations. Just this season alone I saw fans from one of the "perennial" playoff teams from SEO complaining about a bad draw and that another team got a "lucky" draw even before the playoffs began. Then, after they lost they complained about "bad calls." This is common among folks from SEO but I can't ever remember a fan from NC, Kirtland, the MAC etc... ever making those types of complaints. Making excuses before a game ever starts and adding more excuses after a loss tells me expectations are low. On the other side of it those teams I mentioned just play and expect to beat whoever they are paired with. I get it that this is a hard pill to swallow but deep down I think most folks down in that area know it's true, and it's a

Don't wanna speak on anywhere else, because as they say, "..the grass ain't always greener..." but I agree with the thought. I have noticed for years, coaching, training, jus helping out at various levels, a huge increase In what I have dubbed ''built in excuses" these kids aren't jus making a ton of excuses after the fact.... they've usually got a nice list made pre game. Or pre drill or pre test... pretty sad really..

meatswinger
JV Team

Post by meatswinger »

Rza1 wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 2:35 am
I realize fans from SEO don't want to admit this, but the biggest problem is expectations. Just this season alone I saw fans from one of the "perennial" playoff teams from SEO complaining about a bad draw and that another team got a "lucky" draw even before the playoffs began. Then, after they lost they complained about "bad calls." This is common among folks from SEO but I can't ever remember a fan from NC, Kirtland, the MAC etc... ever making those types of complaints. Making excuses before a game ever starts and adding more excuses after a loss tells me expectations are low. On the other side of it those teams I mentioned just play and expect to beat whoever they are paired with. I get it that this is a hard pill to swallow but deep down I think most folks down in that area know it's true, and it's a

Don't wanna speak on anywhere else, because as they say, "..the grass ain't always greener..." but I agree with the thought. I have noticed for years, coaching, training, jus helping out at various levels, a huge increase In what I have dubbed ''built in excuses" these kids aren't jus making a ton of excuses after the fact.... they've usually got a nice list made pre game. Or pre drill or pre test... pretty sad really..
Hate to say it, but I agree. Seems everyone has an excuse in this area and I also agree that the excuses start before the game is even played a lot of times. Like, "we're already down by 14 when we step off the bus..." and "if they didn't recruit we could beat them" or "they can't win with their own players." Sad.

Arnie
Waterboy

Post by Arnie »

Rza1 wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 2:35 am

Yep.

Return to “Football”