2022 Portsmouth Trojans

BuckeyeBlood
All Conference

Re: 2022 Portsmouth Trojans

Post by BuckeyeBlood »

Getting real close. Less than 2 weeks until the RV scrimmage. Anyone plan on going? I’ll be at a wedding that day or I would go.

mustard
JV Team

Post by mustard »

Beergogglebluez wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 8:38 am
greygoose wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 4:07 pm I don't know how it works in Portsmouth but most places I've been to and seen the idea of "not mandatory" is more of a play on words. Basically if you want to play you best be there, we get vacation time so we understand missing for that. If they're at say 40, I might put the number of guys that show up come mandatory time at about 45-47.
I wish kids understood this. While it’s not mandatory you better be there. I would expect upper class man there to help the younger kids.
I think at the schools that struggle with this, you’ve got to make it fun for kids to show up. Not sure how you can do that but that’s what I would try.

PTrojan59
S

Post by PTrojan59 »

BuckeyeBlood wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 10:39 am Getting real close. Less than 2 weeks until the RV scrimmage. Anyone plan on going? I’ll be at a wedding that day or I would go.
Not making the drive to River Valley since it’s just a scrimmage. If it was a regular season game I would. I do plan to attend the Waverly scrimmage though.

Who Dey!
BuckeyeBlood
All Conference

Post by BuckeyeBlood »

My buddy says the Trojans will have around 60 kids out this year. Not 100% positive the exact amount but he said low 60’s.

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

Stopped by to watch practice for about 10 minutes last night. I counted 50 kids. That's an increase from last season's 42. A lot of kids look to be in good condition.

JChipwood
All Conference

Post by JChipwood »

I probably said this last season as well so sorry to repeat but just a few years ago Gallia played a Portsmouth team and got the win at home. This was prior to the coach change. That team had skill and size. But they didn’t play for each other at all. Coaches would coach players only to see the players walk away from the coach and make fun of or mock what the coaches said. Seemed like 4 or 5 groups of kids on one sideline rather than one team. Made fun of one another when a player would get beat on a play. Again that team physically was as talented as anyone we played that season.

With the coach change that seemed to disappear. Players encouraging each other and playing together with a common goal. Night and day difference imo. Of course different kids so not apples to apples but coaching is reflected in kids attitudes more than we like to admit on here. In fact coaching is the biggest factor in how teams carry themselves on the field and whether the kids have personalized goals or team goals. Just like our own children, kids do what coaches allow them to do. I was amazed at the overnight change when the coach changed. Previously thought it was a player issue but the new coach proved my theory to be wrong. It was solely a coaching issue. Hoping for the same result at gallia this year. Just an outsider observation. Great to see PHS turn things around so quickly. Having a playmaker like drew roe on the team certainly had to help the transformation.

RiverBallFan1
Freshman Team

Post by RiverBallFan1 »

So excited about Portsmouth this year. I don’t normally mention players by name (and I never will in a negative response) but I’ve been waiting for this Duncan kid a QB for a while. Smart and athletic and with tons of talent around him!!

"Come on Dave, give me a break" Ted Templeton UNCHAINED!
RelaxGoat

Post by RelaxGoat »

Trojans will make some noise.

PTrojan59
S

Post by PTrojan59 »

BuckeyeBlood wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 11:09 am My buddy says the Trojans will have around 60 kids out this year. Not 100% positive the exact amount but he said low 60’s.
Your buddy is way off on these high numbers lol. Pretty sure I only counted like 46 kids.

Who Dey!
portsmouth_98
All State

Post by portsmouth_98 »

I hope the program can continue to improve. If you take out the shortened weird 2020 season we have been on a real upswing.

SciotoCfootball
Varsity

Post by SciotoCfootball »

Lattimore is a WEAPON.. scoring 3 TDs on 6 receptions is another level 👌

Return to “Football”