2022 Portsmouth Trojans

Beergogglebluez
SE

Re: 2022 Portsmouth Trojans

Post by Beergogglebluez »

FIDO wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 7:01 pm It'll be good to see if the Trojans can continue to build on their recent success.
I hope they do but they lost a ton. Roe was the main piece. Thurman on defense was a monster. Carr, Bryant, amare Johnson. But still have Pendleton, Hammond and some good pieces. It will be interesting to see next years team.

Operation Iraqi freedom 3. Sadr city/ eastern Baghdad 2005
PTrojan59
S

Post by PTrojan59 »

According to Arbiter, the Trojans will face River Valley (away) and Waverly (home) as their 2 scrimmages this season. Looks like the Spring Valley WV (away) game is just a 1 year thing, however they do come to Portsmouth for basketball in December. Next season Greenup County will replace SV on the schedule.

Who Dey!
trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

Good to see the Trojans step up in competition with the Spring Valley game. Portsmouth lost some key players, namely Dariyonne Bryant, Donovan Carr, Amare Johnson, and all-state QB Drew Roe, but have enough coming back that they should be able to put a competitive team on the field. As has been the case with PHS football, how the defense plays will determine the outcome of the 2022 season. What will probably surprise some is how well Tyler Duncan will replace Drew Roe. Duncan threw the TD pass vs. Ironton in the 2021 playoff game at the Tank in a 17-6 loss. Beau Hammond, Jaden Duncan, and Devin Lattimore should among the offensive playmakers.

PTrojan59
S

Post by PTrojan59 »

Agree with you Dave, Tyler Duncan will shock some folks. He’s more athletic and quicker than many people think. The Trojans will definitely still have a ton of weapons at WR. Pendleton, Jayden Duncan & Lattimore all return. I’m sure there’s a few other kids ready to step up as well.

Who Dey!
trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

PTrojan59: I'm glad you mentioned Pendleton......I forgot about him in my post above. He is athletic and doesn't back down from contact. He can play several positions also.

SciotoCfootball
Varsity

Post by SciotoCfootball »

Like most years the Trojans should be just fine when it comes to offensive skill positions, and the question marks surround the OL & defense. OL will have to replace three starters which is no easy task although I do like the potential for the two that are returning. Defense doesn't return much at all.. Hammond, Truett, and Pendleton will have the most experience. Pretty sure Lattimore took some reps at CB and Livingston at LB. Anyone know more about who's returning? The seniors last year took most of the spotlight.

BuckeyeBlood
All Conference

Post by BuckeyeBlood »

Anyone know if Levaughn Cobb of Deandre Berry play football? If they don’t, they should. 2 good athletes who are on the basketball team and would contribute I’m sure if they don’t already play. Also I seen Nolan Heiland is back at Portsmouth. I think he was at Portsmouth before but left for ND? I believe he played a decent bit for ND. WR/CB maybe? Someone correct me if I’m wrong…

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

BuckeyeBlood wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 6:41 pm Anyone know if Levaughn Cobb of Deandre Berry play football? If they don’t, they should. 2 good athletes who are on the basketball team and would contribute I’m sure if they don’t already play. Also I seen Nolan Heiland is back at Portsmouth. I think he was at Portsmouth before but left for ND? I believe he played a decent bit for ND. WR/CB maybe? Someone correct me if I’m wrong…
Will Sanderlin play?

SciotoCfootball
Varsity

Post by SciotoCfootball »

wobycat wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 8:19 pm
BuckeyeBlood wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 6:41 pm Anyone know if Levaughn Cobb of Deandre Berry play football? If they don’t, they should. 2 good athletes who are on the basketball team and would contribute I’m sure if they don’t already play. Also I seen Nolan Heiland is back at Portsmouth. I think he was at Portsmouth before but left for ND? I believe he played a decent bit for ND. WR/CB maybe? Someone correct me if I’m wrong…
Will Sanderlin play?
Not sure how accurate but all four mentioned are on the roster on maxpreps.

Proud_Pirate63
S

Post by Proud_Pirate63 »

SciotoCfootball wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 10:02 pm
wobycat wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 8:19 pm
Will Sanderlin play?
Not sure how accurate but all four mentioned are on the roster on maxpreps.

The Sanderlin listed on MaxPreps is the younger brother Dylan. Kenny is the senior. If he plays, that would be a boost for the Trojans.

BuckeyeBlood
All Conference

Post by BuckeyeBlood »

I don’t think Kenny will come out for football. He’s not going to be okay with being the backup QB as a senior. Tyler Duncan baring injury as a senior will be the starting QB. I’m sure neither of them want to be in a QB battle their senior season and the loser becoming the backup. Other than QB I’m not sure what position Kenny would play. Maybe RB but I don’t see that.

trojandave
SEOP

Post by trojandave »

Cobb and Berry both play football......in fact, last season, Cobb was #17 and played NG.....I'm not sure what Berry's # was, but he was one of the QB's.

Don't look for Kenny Sanderlin to play football......as a senior sitting out last year, with basketball being his best opportunity to play at the next level and the risk of injury potentially complicating his hoops season.

His brother, Dylan, has been working really hard in the off season getting ready to make a big impact, especially on defense.

Proud_Pirate63
S

Post by Proud_Pirate63 »

BuckeyeBlood wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 11:32 am I don’t think Kenny will come out for football. He’s not going to be okay with being the backup QB as a senior. Tyler Duncan baring injury as a senior will be the starting QB. I’m sure neither of them want to be in a QB battle their senior season and the loser becoming the backup. Other than QB I’m not sure what position Kenny would play. Maybe RB but I don’t see that.
On offense, not sure. But on defense, Kenny is one heck of a linebacker.

BuckeyeBlood
All Conference

Post by BuckeyeBlood »

Any word on numbers so far early in the summer? Any incoming impactful freshman, any transfers gained or lost? Weight room and conditioning should be in full swing minus vacations of course…any news? @trojandave @PTrojan59 @Beergogglebluez @portsmouth_98 @SciotoCfootball @Moses Guthrie @biggdowgg

Beergogglebluez
SE

Post by Beergogglebluez »

I don’t think numbers were very high but thats because nothing is mandatory yet. I’ll have to go down and watch a practice or 2 soon and get numbers myself. I think Portsmouth will be ok, they won’t win the ovc and I have them 7-3 or 6-4 and with the expanded playoffs it will get them in. West will be tough, spring valley, ironton and fairland will be tough games. South point, peake should be easy, valley, coal grove, rock hill and Gallia I don’t know much about this season. Trojans will have skill players on offense but defense was hurt bad by graduation. Roe made plays on his own so that’s a huge loss. I’m interested for next season.

Operation Iraqi freedom 3. Sadr city/ eastern Baghdad 2005
trojandave
SEOP

Post by trojandave »

BuckeyeBlood: Don't have anything significant to report due to paying more attention to the Trojans' summer basketball shootouts.

I agree with beergogglebluez........6-4 seems realistic for the Trojans if the defense plays anywhere close to the way it played in 2021.

PTrojan59
S

Post by PTrojan59 »

BuckeyeBlood wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 10:44 am Any word on numbers so far early in the summer? Any incoming impactful freshman, any transfers gained or lost? Weight room and conditioning should be in full swing minus vacations of course…any news? @trojandave @PTrojan59 @Beergogglebluez @portsmouth_98 @SciotoCfootball @Moses Guthrie @biggdowgg
I haven’t got a clue about summer workouts or anything. I’m not really in the know these days. All the information I get is from someone else or I see it on Twitter. Give it about 3 weeks and you should hear some news about how the boys are looking. I think the Trojans could go anywhere from 8-2 to 4-6. Ironton, Spring Valley, West, Fairland, Gallia, Coal Grove, Valley are all tough games. Some of those are more winnable than others. Chesapeake, South Point & Rock Hill should be wins for the Trojans.

Who Dey!
PTrojan59
S

Post by PTrojan59 »

A month from today the Trojans will have their first scrimmage of the season at River Valley. Football is near my friends…

Who Dey!
BuckeyeBlood
All Conference

Post by BuckeyeBlood »

Will the Trojans be participating in any 7v7’s? I know last year they went down to a big one at EKU I think?

trojandave
SEOP

Post by trojandave »

Heard the other day from a reliable source that the numbers for the middle school program are WAY DOWN......in the teens! If this is the case, that doesn't bode well for future varsity numbers or even having reasonably competitive middle school teams. You can't win with little depth given the rate of football injuries.

Return to “Football”