2022 Portsmouth Trojans

SciotoCfootball
Varsity

Re: 2022 Portsmouth Trojans

Post by SciotoCfootball »

smurray wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 4:03 pm
greygoose wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 1:36 am
SciotoCfootball wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 1:29 am Would love to see that week 3 slot filled with either Waverly or The Burg.. it just makes sense.
That'd be good, looks like Burg would be the best shot Waverly and Unioto have been playing in week 3 for a few years now. Week 3 for Burg seems to have a different opponent each year when looking back at their schedule over the years. Ever since Burg and the Trojans ended series.
Waverly may want to look at that…
Start getting the idea out there smurray lol I think I read before that Coach Kalb has ties to Waverly. Had a lot of fun at the Portsmouth vs Waverly game this season, great atmosphere and great game.

PTrojan59
S

Post by PTrojan59 »

I believe Kalb was on the staff at Waverly before Portsmouth. As far week 3 goes, Portsmouth isn’t listed as having an open date on the ohsaa website. I wouldn’t be shocked to see them play at Deer Park week 3. Looking at Arbiter live, Deer Park doesn’t have a game listed that week either. I really would rather not make that drive, and I’m not sure they will be very good. So playing them won’t get many playoff points or prepare them for the playoffs. I’d love to see a local game. Burg, Waverly, Greenup County, Russell, Raceland, Wellston, Piketon.

Who Dey!
Beergogglebluez
SE

Post by Beergogglebluez »

I think week 3 will be greenup county. That was the plan pre covid.

Operation Iraqi freedom 3. Sadr city/ eastern Baghdad 2005
BuckeyeBlood
All Conference

Post by BuckeyeBlood »

Beergogglebluez wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 2:27 pm I think week 3 will be greenup county. That was the plan pre covid.
Is this just speculation or have you heard something?

Beergogglebluez
SE

BuckeyeBlood wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 10:15 pm
Beergogglebluez wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 2:27 pm I think week 3 will be greenup county. That was the plan pre covid.
Is this just speculation or have you heard something?
I was told that by a coach. We played river valley for 2 years when that ended it was suppose to be wellston at wellston for 1 year and next year we start playing greenup county. But covid cancelled the wellston game and greenup played whoever they missed from the covid season. Now I have no clue if greenup will be that game now or something else.

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

With 4 consecutive playoff appearances (last year was an opt in), Portsmouth football is on the upswing and hopefully that winning momentum can continue into the 2022 season. Of course with every year, a certain number of players graduate and have to be replaced. The most obvious replacement will be at the QB position, where Tyler Duncan will take over for 2021 OVC POY Drew Roe. Big shoes to fill, but Duncan has shown in limited time that he is very capable of filling that spot. He is not as mobile as Roe, but is accurate with his throws, and is athletic enough to evade would be tacklers.

Reade Pendleton, Jayden Duncan, Nathaniel Berry, and Noah Livingston will be Duncan's main targets, while Bo Hammond will be the featured RB. On defense, most of the D-line must be replaced, and that will be a critical to any success the Trojans have defensively.

Kicking game looks very good as Zack (last name?) was near perfect on XP's and showed the ability to hit a 35 yard FG.

Portsmouth should be playing Wheelersburg now instead of years down the road. I've said time and again on this site that the Trojans should have always played the Pirates with no interruptions. With the expanded playoffs, it's very possible to go 6-4 or 5-5 and make the postseason. Look at Wheelersburg's schedule this past season. They tested themselves in non-conference, took some losses (Pikeville and Jackson), yet still made the playoffs and advanced to the Regional Final vs. Harvest Prep, while along the way avenging an earlier loss to Ironton.

Coach Kalb and his staff have done a marvelous job in making Portsmouth football relevant in the SE district again. PHS advanced in the playoffs for the first time in 20 years, so hopefully it will result in greater participation numbers that the Trojans could certainly benefit from.

Commitment and hard work is a simple formula that will show positive results on the field.......if the kids are willing to do that, that continued success will happen. The goal of making the playoffs and advancing has been achieved. Now it's time to go beyond that.

GO TROJANS!!

Moses Guthrie
Varsity

Post by Moses Guthrie »

trojandave wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 1:14 pm With 4 consecutive playoff appearances (last year was an opt in), Portsmouth football is on the upswing and hopefully that winning momentum can continue into the 2022 season. Of course with every year, a certain number of players graduate and have to be replaced. The most obvious replacement will be at the QB position, where Tyler Duncan will take over for 2021 OVC POY Drew Roe. Big shoes to fill, but Duncan has shown in limited time that he is very capable of filling that spot. He is not as mobile as Roe, but is accurate with his throws, and is athletic enough to evade would be tacklers.

Reade Pendleton, Jayden Duncan, Nathaniel Berry, and Noah Livingston will be Duncan's main targets, while Bo Hammond will be the featured RB. On defense, most of the D-line must be replaced, and that will be a critical to any success the Trojans have defensively.

Kicking game looks very good as Zack (last name?) was near perfect on XP's and showed the ability to hit a 35 yard FG.

Portsmouth should be playing Wheelersburg now instead of years down the road. I've said time and again on this site that the Trojans should have always played the Pirates with no interruptions. With the expanded playoffs, it's very possible to go 6-4 or 5-5 and make the postseason. Look at Wheelersburg's schedule this past season. They tested themselves in non-conference, took some losses (Pikeville and Jackson), yet still made the playoffs and advanced to the Regional Final vs. Harvest Prep, while along the way avenging an earlier loss to Ironton.

Coach Kalb and his staff have done a marvelous job in making Portsmouth football relevant in the SE district again. PHS advanced in the playoffs for the first time in 20 years, so hopefully it will result in greater participation numbers that the Trojans could certainly benefit from.

Commitment and hard work is a simple formula that will show positive results on the field.......if the kids are willing to do that, that continued success will happen. The goal of making the playoffs and advancing has been achieved. Now it's time to go beyond that.

GO TROJANS!!
The kicker is Zack Roth. He has proven to be a very effective and capable kicker this past year. I believe he is a sophomore, so the kicking game is in good hands for the near future..

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

Thanks, Moses Guthrie for Zack's last name......he has certainly shown to be reliable, and to have 2 more years of him bodes well for the Trojans.

BuckeyeBlood
All Conference

Post by BuckeyeBlood »

Cincinnati Deer Park will not be on the Trojans schedule this year, as they are set to face New Miami on the date the Trojans don’t have a game listed. I know Wheelersburg had been mentioned but they play Russell that week I believe. So if I had to guess the Trojans are going to be playing Greenup County Ky. This is the only local team i believe they could play. I don’t have a schedule for them yet, but all the other teams in the tri state area have a week 3 game, and if you read the above post by BeerGoggles I think GC makes the most sense. Anyone heard anything else?

BigBlueNation
SEOP

Post by BigBlueNation »

trojandave wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 1:14 pm With 4 consecutive playoff appearances (last year was an opt in), Portsmouth football is on the upswing and hopefully that winning momentum can continue into the 2022 season. Of course with every year, a certain number of players graduate and have to be replaced. The most obvious replacement will be at the QB position, where Tyler Duncan will take over for 2021 OVC POY Drew Roe. Big shoes to fill, but Duncan has shown in limited time that he is very capable of filling that spot. He is not as mobile as Roe, but is accurate with his throws, and is athletic enough to evade would be tacklers.

GO TROJANS!!

Trojan Dave I noticed you didn't mention Devon Lattimore as one of the receiver's. Would definitely think he would be one of the main targets.

Beergogglebluez
SE

Lattimore will be a great number 2. Pendleton seems to be the go to but he’s a senior, I don’t know how Portsmouth replaces the Thurman kid on defense. He was a monster. They lost a ton but still have some good athletes. Roe is a huge loss, Carr, Bryant, Thurman, some of the lines. I don’t know what to expect. But with expanded playoffs losses won’t be too important like years past. West, ironton and fairland will be tough games. Valley I’m not sure why they have next season and rest of the ovc is not that great.

trojandave
SEOP

Post by trojandave »

BigBlueNation: Thanks for mentioning Lattimore.......it was just a matter of accidental omission. He will be a big part of the offense in 2022.

nctabulator
Riding the Bench

Post by nctabulator »

PTrojan59 wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 12:46 am Portsmouth 2022 Schedule

Week 1. Thursday August 18th
@ Lucasville Valley

Week 2. Friday August 26th
Vs. Portsmouth West

Week 3. Friday September 2nd
TBA

Week 4. Friday September 9th
Vs. Rock Hill

Week 5. Friday September 16th
Vs. Gallia Academy

Week 6. Friday September 23rd
@ Coal Grove

Week 7. Friday September 30th
@ Chesapeake

Week 8. Friday October 7th
Vs. Fairland

Week 9. Friday October 14th
@ South Point

Week 10. Friday October 21st
Vs. Ironton
9/2 = Portsmouth @ Spring Valley (WV)

PTrojan59
S

Post by PTrojan59 »

nctabulator wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 2:11 pm [quote=PTrojan59 post_id=<a href="tel:1973120">1973120</a> time=<a href="tel:1638078400">1638078400</a> user_id=1013]
Portsmouth 2022 Schedule

@ Lucasville Valley

Vs. Portsmouth West

TBA

Vs. Rock Hill

Vs. Gallia Academy

@ Coal Grove

@ Chesapeake

Vs. Fairland

@ South Point

Vs. Ironton
[/quote]

Awesome thanks for the info. Anyone know if Portsmouth has met up with Spring Valley before? I know they’ve played Hungtington, Ravenswood, Linsly out of WV just to name the ones I remember. But some of you guys may be older than me. Looks like they were decent last season 9-3, won a playoff game. Is this is winnable game for the Trojans?

Who Dey!
Proud_Pirate63
S

Post by Proud_Pirate63 »

Spring Valley has an enrollment of about 1,000 kids and Portsmouth has about 380. So it’s like playing a D1 or D2 school in Ohio.

Beergogglebluez
SE

When spring valley came a few years ago to Portsmouth they beat up our jv. They must of had 70 kids on the sideline. Seems a bit lopsided if they play each other. Sprint valleys enrollment is huge. They were really good for a few years but I think have been down the past year or so.

Beergogglebluez
SE

PTrojan59 wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 4:38 pm
nctabulator wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 2:11 pm [quote=PTrojan59 post_id=<a href="tel:1973120">1973120</a> time=<a href="tel:1638078400">1638078400</a> user_id=1013]
Portsmouth 2022 Schedule

@ Lucasville Valley

Vs. Portsmouth West

TBA

Vs. Rock Hill

Vs. Gallia Academy

@ Coal Grove

@ Chesapeake

Vs. Fairland

@ South Point

Vs. Ironton
Awesome thanks for the info. Anyone know if Portsmouth has met up with Spring Valley before? I know they’ve played Hungtington, Ravenswood, Linsly out of WV just to name the ones I remember. But some of you guys may be older than me. Looks like they were decent last season 9-3, won a playoff game. Is this is winnable game for the Trojans?
[/quote]

Spring valley made it to the state championship very often but martinsburg kills every team they play. But martinsburg gets kids from the DC area as well.

PTrojan59
S

Post by PTrojan59 »

Looked up some stats and the QB who will return as a senior for Spring Valley seems pretty tough, believe he tossed 34 TD’s and ran for another 5. Solid numbers. The size difference between the 2 schools is interesting. Portsmouth rarely has much depth, so I’m sure that could play a factor. But regardless playing up in competition can only benefit the Trojans later in the season.

Who Dey!
Beergogglebluez
SE

I hope it’s at spring valley. I’ve never been there

FIDO
S

Post by FIDO »

It'll be good to see if the Trojans can continue to build on their recent success.

Return to “Football”