2022 Portsmouth Trojans

sportsfan2244
Freshman Team

Re: 2022 Portsmouth Trojans

Post by sportsfan2244 »

I think Portsmouth has a lot of issues in the feeder system to ever have a successful program. Everybody has their own separate team plus they have the Portsmouth Trojans peewee. Coaching in the lower levels has to be a priority, get coaches that want to make the kids better instead of worrying about winning. Of course we want to win, but I know a lot of teams that were good in peewee and then fizzled out before junior high. I hear of a lot of issues with the junior high boys basketball program as well. Portsmouth has athletes!! Get everybody on 1 page

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

sportsfan2244: You make some very valid points......the athletic culture at Portsmouth has changed so much in just the last decade or so. You are absolutely right in saying that Portsmouth has athletes. Unfortunately as you correctly stated, things are not on the same page.

PHS Varsity football has had a really tough time getting participation numbers to 50, while schools like Wheelersburg and Ironton have upwards of 70 or more on a repeated basis. That makes a huge difference in sustaining a successful program. It's no secret as to why those 2 schools have continued success locally and outside the SE district. The coaching is very good, with the roster numbers certainly helping to make that happen.

Coach Kalb has done a outstanding job with the numbers he's had to work with. Last season's playoff win vs. Zane Trace was the first in almost 20 years. I don't think the numbers will ever be up to 70, with 50 seeming to be a real challenge. I believe last season's roster was 42.

Can Portsmouth be a consistent contender for the top half of the OVC, or will low numbers eventually take its toll? Low numbers put a real strain on the coaching staff, because with the inevitable injuries happening, depth can make or break a team.

BuckeyeBlood
All Conference

Post by BuckeyeBlood »

A guy I know said numbers on this team will be higher than last season. He says mid to high 50’s.

Prime Time
All State

Post by Prime Time »

Good to hear, seems like in all sports Portsmouth has dropped so far down, why is this TD . Because other schools has same numbers and do quite well in all sports. Seems like school spirit and wanting to be the best isn’t what it used to be. Could video games, lack of overall athletic ability, kids really not caring about sports, laziness, . Just throwing stuff out. Other schools has the same numbers , give or take a few either way.

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

Buckeye Blood: I hope you're right on the numbers projection.......not only is depth critical to the success of a football team, but I hope that the number of underclassmen is healthy, because a team just can't rely on seniors to carry through an entire season.

PrimeTime: Portsmouth has athletes......just not as many as it used to be. Reasons are typical.....video games, lazy, don't see any reward in playing, don't like the coach/coaches, takes too much of their time, not much support from home, too self-centered to play team sports, etc.

I hope the winning momentum that the football team has developed the last several years will continue......but they have to have numbers to make it happen.

Prime Time
All State

Post by Prime Time »

TD, not to change the topic, where is all the basketball talent at, not even close to the level of play for the Trojans.

trojandave
SEOP

Post by trojandave »

PrimeTime: Portsmouth went 11-11 this past season, which was the 85th time a Trojan team has won at least 10 games. It may not seem like much, but last season was the first in 4 years that we had a non-losing season. The standards that Portsmouth has set for itself and the SE district will probably never be matched by anyone, including Portsmouth. The enrollment is way down and the feeder system barely has a pulse. The basketball culture at PHS certainly isn't what it used to be. Coach Eugene Collins has done a really good job despite the obstacles he has to deal with. He is only 8 wins away from 200 for his career. PHS is only 13 wins away from 1,500 all time (1,487-816).

I've told a number of people that the days of consistent seasons of 20 wins, district championships, and a serious run at the Final 4 on a frequent basis are over. PHS has had 11 losing seasons since 2003, but also made back to back Final 4's in 2011 and 2012, going 45-8, SEOAL Champions, and finished regional runnerup in 2015. Portsmouth was the last SE district school to win a game in the Final 4, that being in 2012. Since then, the SE has gone 0-7 in State Semifinal play.

It's just hard to live up to the standards that have been set previously. One thing for sure, though, that no matter how dire things look, the Trojans won't be down forever. They just won't live up to the image of the basketball powerhouse of yesteryear. The Final 4 will always be the goal, and it's very possible that we'll see it again sometime, hopefully sooner than later.

mustard
JV Team

Post by mustard »

Trojans have some good classes coming up. Look for them to continue to build and improve.
Last edited by mustard on Wed Jul 13, 2022 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

Portsmouth should be solid next 3-4 years. Frustrating thing for them though is seeing all the talent at Ironton, Burg, and West in the same timeframe and realizing it going to be hard to beat those teams.

Hopefully the junior high numbers will improve as Kalb seems like he has the program on solid ground again.*

PTrojan59
S

Post by PTrojan59 »

BuckeyeBlood wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 4:45 pm A guy I know said numbers on this team will be higher than last season. He says mid to high 50’s.
Not saying this information isn’t accurate. I sure hope numbers are in the high 50’s or higher. But I drove down by the stadium last night and it didn’t look like 50+ kids were out there. Now I know some kids may be hurt, or on vacations or whatever, but I’m not sure numbers will be quite that high. I hope I’m wrong and you’re correct.

Who Dey!
Geronimo
SEOP

Post by Geronimo »

Look for Portsmouth to turn some heads this season very quick!!!

trojandave
SEOP

Post by trojandave »

PTrojan59: I went into the stadium, watched for about 10 minutes last night, and I agree with you on the numbers.......looked like about 40-45 kids, but those were workouts that are not mandatory. I consider that to be a good number considering that showing up is voluntary and that's it the middle of summer. I will say that as a whole the group looked to be in shape. Another thing I noticed is that QB Tyler Duncan has a strong arm with good accuracy.

When mandatory workouts/practices begin, I think the numbers will be higher. How much higher we'll find out, but it would be great to see 55 kids or more participate.

PTrojan59
S

Post by PTrojan59 »

That’s what I was thinking TD, somewhere near 40, and I’ll take that since it’s still mid July. We have another 2 weeks until mandatory practice begins. I suspect the numbers will increase, will definitely take 50’s. I think Duncan will step in and be really solid.

Who Dey!
greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

I don't know how it works in Portsmouth but most places I've been to and seen the idea of "not mandatory" is more of a play on words. Basically if you want to play you best be there, we get vacation time so we understand missing for that. If they're at say 40, I might put the number of guys that show up come mandatory time at about 45-47.

BuckeyeBlood
All Conference

Post by BuckeyeBlood »

Did anyone go down to the 7 on 7 that was at Portsmouth last night? If so what all teams were there? How did they all look?

PTrojan59
S

Post by PTrojan59 »

BuckeyeBlood wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 1:23 am Did anyone go down to the 7 on 7 that was at Portsmouth last night? If so what all teams were there? How did they all look?
I wasn’t present, didn’t even know it was happening. Drove down by that way and seen teams leaving. I know it was Portsmouth, and Notre Dame. I think maybe I seen Greenup County? There was another school there as well.

Who Dey!
trojandave
SEOP

Post by trojandave »

BuckeyeBlood: Didn't go to the 7 on 7. I don't put much merit in it, it's not real football, just more like an exhibition. The Trojans are going to be strong at the skill positions.....QB Tyler Duncan, WR Reade Pendleton, WR Jayden Duncan, WR Devin Lattimore, ATH Nathaniel Berry, RB Bo Hammond, RB Nick Copley, TE Noah Livingston. Our success will come from what happens with the O-line and the defense.

Beergogglebluez
SE

Post by Beergogglebluez »

greygoose wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 4:07 pm I don't know how it works in Portsmouth but most places I've been to and seen the idea of "not mandatory" is more of a play on words. Basically if you want to play you best be there, we get vacation time so we understand missing for that. If they're at say 40, I might put the number of guys that show up come mandatory time at about 45-47.
I wish kids understood this. While it’s not mandatory you better be there. I would expect upper class man there to help the younger kids.

Operation Iraqi freedom 3. Sadr city/ eastern Baghdad 2005
JosephLeeB9
Waterboy

Post by JosephLeeB9 »

Kalb has done solid things. They will be talented and well coached but biggest answer be at QB

PTrojan59
S

Post by PTrojan59 »

I actually think the biggest ? will once again be the defense and the o line. Tyler Duncan will step in at QB and replace Drew Roe. They are different types of players. Roe could make a lot happen with his legs, he didn’t have the strongest arm, but it was solid. Duncan has a stronger arm, and although he’s quicker than he looks, he can’t make the things happen on the ground that Roe did. That said I think Duncan will have a nice season, he has a ton of weapons to throw to, some good running backs to lean on. The question is will he have the time to throw the ball and will the defense be able to make stops to get the offense back on the field. Same 2 questions that I feel surround the Trojans each year. I will say both units have came a long ways since coach Kalb took over. But they still aren’t close to where they need to be, especially the offensive line.

Who Dey!

Return to “Football”