How important is scheduling

Rosco
Riding the Bench

How important is scheduling

Post by Rosco »

I hear lots of banter about scheduling up. How beneficial is this? What schools in SE Ohio would benefit most by scheduling up?

FIDO
S

Re: How important is scheduling

Post by FIDO »

You can schedule up all you want but if you don't have the athletes to compete it doesn't really matter. Lucasville Valley's schedule is made up mostly of higher division teams. If scheduling up was the answer for lack of talent then they'd be contenders on the state level annually.

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

"scheduling up" is a term I hate. You need to schedule teams you can compete with. Scheduling a team you might go 4-6 against over a ten year period is scheduling up. Scheduling a team that will beat your brains in is insanity. Getting beat by 30 points or more doesn't give you anything to learn from in order to get better.

Championship's are won in the off-season
BUCKEYE PRIDE!
Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

With 16 teams per region….it pushes scheduling up even more. You don’t want to lose half your team to injuries or schedule someone who will pound you 55-0…..but definitely a benefit to being challenged often throughout the season.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Rosco wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 1:20 pm I hear lots of banter about scheduling up. How beneficial is this? What schools in SE Ohio would benefit most by scheduling up?
I think maybe Piketon but not sure if it gets them to the next round or not.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

Orange and Brown wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 6:09 pm "scheduling up" is a term I hate. You need to schedule teams you can compete with. Scheduling a team you might go 4-6 against over a ten year period is scheduling up. Scheduling a team that will beat your brains in is insanity. Getting beat by 30 points or more doesn't give you anything to learn from in order to get better.
I agree. Schedule needs to be competitive. Not daunting

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

Orange and Brown wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 6:09 pm "scheduling up" is a term I hate. You need to schedule teams you can compete with. Scheduling a team you might go 4-6 against over a ten year period is scheduling up. Scheduling a team that will beat your brains in is insanity. Getting beat by 30 points or more doesn't give you anything to learn from in order to get better.
I believe you hit it just right, especially when you have special teams coming through the system as an AD scheduling tougher opponents over someone you've steam rolled last 3-4 years is where adjustments should always be made. Let's take Piketon for example senior heavy team coming through with a great QB, only 3 non-conference games so as an AD you've got to challenge the team in 2 of the 3 matchups I believe. Instead they had River Valley 2-6, Wellston 5-5 and Valley 4-6 on the schedule, River Valley ended up having to cancel so they were able to get Minford last second but that doesn't fix what the original schedule was. Berne Union same exact thing one of the more talented teams they've had come through there and they absolutely done nothing to challenge the team and they were blown out week 2 of the playoffs, would it have changed anything who knows.

Schedule accordingly though should be the name of the game, coming off the state championship Burg who lost a lot of talent scheduled Bishop Hartley a team they had no business playing and just got throttled. Scheduling 100% matters but the problem is around here those open schedules are early on and if you're in a weak conference now you haven't faced anyone for 6 weeks of any substance but there's nothing you can do about that. Anyone thinking it doesn't matter take a look at the MAC and what they do year in and year out in the playoffs and then ask yourself does a quality schedule matter.

S.O.C
Waterboy

Post by S.O.C »

Burg's Non-Conference schedule this year propelled their run. Jackson, Russell, Chillicothe, Ironton & a Pikeville team that's playing for a state title in Ky. Throw in Wavery, Ports W, & Minford those kids were built for 4 full quarters of play. All that field time converts to film & coaching up the kids on
what they could have different.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

S.O.C wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 11:45 am Burg's Non-Conference schedule this year propelled their run. Jackson, Russell, Chillicothe, Ironton & a Pikeville team that's playing for a state title in Ky. Throw in Wavery, Ports W, & Minford those kids were built for 4 full quarters of play. All that field time converts to film & coaching up the kids on
what they could have different.
Yes. But all the non conference games were winnable. You can’t help what happens in conference but your non conference should be games that match your ability or slightly above. Playing games that are guaranteed losses don’t help.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Clinton Massie had 4 non conference games and scheduled D2 Cincinnati Anderson who made 2nd round in D2 and D3 DeSales….faced Western Brown also. So helped them.

On the other end though West Jefferson didn’t challenge themselves and made final 4

It’s not a must, but definitely helps if done correctly

Safety
Waterboy

Post by Safety »

You can’t have a full 10 game season of all tough games, especially if you don’t have the numbers to have some quality backups.

Ironton scheduled up and played Moeller, didn’t seem to help them in the playoffs

portsmouth_98
All State

Post by portsmouth_98 »

It's hard to hit the schedule right sometimes if you're not a perennial winner or lose. If you are scheduling 4 or 6 year contracts you need to know what you have by 7th or 8th grade to get the schedule right. Lots of times teams are really good or really bad in middle school and there is a role reversal by the time they hit varsity ball. As far as having the perfect schedule it has to help some but if you look at a school like Kirtland they have thumped pretty much everyone on their slate for several years and then done the same in the playoffs also so I think it's just one component in having a successful program.

The Scotty A Show
Waterboy

Post by The Scotty A Show »

Trimble scheduled up this year and I think it hurt them. Them boys got use to being okay after a loss and that's a bad thing. They could learn a thing or two from Howie and one is you gotta be miserable after a loss. So miserable that you never want to do it again. But I heard they not playing FF or JM again next year so that's prolly a good thing. Get some teams on there that might play good but you can beat by a couple or three scores and then the Hocking they can work on the passing game and get a bunch of shutouts to build their confidence. That's what worked for the previous 8 or 10 years so if it ain't broke don't go trying to fix something.

Trimble Tomcats 2023 TVC Ohio Champions
greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

The Scotty A Show wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 2:25 pm Trimble scheduled up this year and I think it hurt them. Them boys got use to being okay after a loss and that's a bad thing. They could learn a thing or two from Howie and one is you gotta be miserable after a loss. So miserable that you never want to do it again. But I heard they not playing FF or JM again next year so that's prolly a good thing. Get some teams on there that might play good but you can beat by a couple or three scores and then the Hocking they can work on the passing game and get a bunch of shutouts to build their confidence. That's what worked for the previous 8 or 10 years so if it ain't broke don't go trying to fix something.
If they got used to being ok after a loss that's on the coaches. Plus they only lost 2 games and 1 was in OT so I'm thinking the team was ok, they simply got beat

Half Slice
Freshman Team

Post by Half Slice »

Scheduling up is a key foundational step in building the culture a successful program. The true measuring stick of a program is postseason success and that doesn’t mean simply making the playoffs. Anyome with a pulse makes the playoffs in Ohio with 16 teams in each region qualifying.

LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

Post by LICKING COUNTY FAN »

I think that most good teams will go out of their area for that one really tough but winnable game. Beating up on the same teams in your area during non-conferences games does little for the good teams.

Return to “Football”