Ironton HS multi-game event

SciotoCfootball
Varsity

Re: Ironton HS multi-game event

Post by SciotoCfootball »

wobycat wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 5:35 pm
Ironmen98 wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 7:14 am No one is giving up a home game to go play at the ironton. Maybe basketball and baseball but not football.
Back in the day, this would have been a great idea. But with hudl highlights and camps, kids can get exposure without having a showcase game. Now if Marion local could come play Ironton or kirtland and burg or Portsmouth. That would draw fans.
Burg vs Portsmouth would draw a lot of fans.. would all depend on how the Trojans respond to losing a lot of star power tho.

Ironmen98
All State

Post by Ironmen98 »

Beergogglebluez wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 1:28 pm They will give up a game to see college scouts. Ironton seems to be doing that very well. Why are other coaches not doing this recruiting for kids? Maybe they are and ironton just post about it. But I don’t here any college chatter from 99% of the other schools
So you’re going to take a home game away from the seniors , the band , the parents the fans etc so a few kids can be seen at ironton by a few scouts ?? Couldn’t those scouts just drive to Jackson if they’re that interested? Sorry seems goofy to me

SciotoCfootball
Varsity

Post by SciotoCfootball »

Ironmen98 wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 7:16 pm
Beergogglebluez wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 1:28 pm They will give up a game to see college scouts. Ironton seems to be doing that very well. Why are other coaches not doing this recruiting for kids? Maybe they are and ironton just post about it. But I don’t here any college chatter from 99% of the other schools
So you’re going to take a home game away from the seniors , the band , the parents the fans etc so a few kids can be seen at ironton by a few scouts ?? Couldn’t those scouts just drive to Jackson if they’re that interested? Sorry seems goofy to me
Not all teams would have to give up a home game? The main target is more than likely teams who don't have a game scheduled yet.. for example, I don't think Portsmouth has a week 3 game scheduled yet.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

:ugeek:
SciotoCfootball wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 7:34 pm
Not all teams would have to give up a home game? The main target is more than likely teams who don't have a game scheduled yet.. for example, I don't think Portsmouth has a week 3 game scheduled yet.
They aren’t shooting for that. I think they are shooting for big teams. But it would have to be A local team for people to have interest. I don’t think any local team will go play at ironton unless it’s them playing the tigers as an away game

TigerBob
All Conference

Post by TigerBob »

wobycat wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 5:35 pm
Ironmen98 wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 7:14 am No one is giving up a home game to go play at the ironton. Maybe basketball and baseball but not football.
Back in the day, this would have been a great idea. But with hudl highlights and camps, kids can get exposure without having a showcase game. Now if Marion local could come play Ironton or kirtland and burg or Portsmouth. That would draw fans.
It would draw. The problem with an event like this is that if Wheelersburg wanted to play Marion Local, they’d host it themselves.

Even if Ironton wanted to cut a check to these teams, it really couldn’t be big enough. Wheelersburg would make $10k at a minimum if they hosted a game of that caliber. Just wouldn’t make sense for a program that draws to give up a home game like that.

PTrojan59
S

Post by PTrojan59 »

SciotoCfootball wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 7:34 pm
I don’t think Portsmouth is open week 3. I know there’s not a game listed, but I’m pretty sure they already have an opponent, likely on the road.

Who Dey!
fielddaddy
JV Team

Post by fielddaddy »

I believe it will be on a level of getting a team from some place like Washington DC to come and play a power from Cincinnati or one from Tn like Bell academy playing a power from Cleveland or another NE Ohio team from Akron area.
It will be teams not scared to player upper caliber teams and that will be a days drive of Ironton.
Cincinnati is a couple hours drive as is Columbus teams and Cleveland is roughly 5 hours.
It will probably be private schools and hopefully it will be good schools.
I doubt if any local teams would want to be a part of it but you never know just have to wait and see.

clevelandbrowns#1
Varsity

Post by clevelandbrowns#1 »

Some of you would complain if you won $1,000,000 that you wanted $2,000,000. This is a great idea and he will be successful at doing it. Who said anything about taking away a home game?? This would be for good teams playing good teams the first week of the season. If teams don't want to do it then don't! Some of you are the most negative people, if you don't have anything nice to say ......

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

clevelandbrowns#1 wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 8:02 am Some of you would complain if you won $1,000,000 that you wanted $2,000,000. This is a great idea and he will be successful at doing it. Who said anything about taking away a home game?? This would be for good teams playing good teams the first week of the season. If teams don't want to do it then don't! Some of you are the most negative people, if you don't have anything nice to say ......
I don’t think anyone said it was a bad idea but more like not a feasible one.

fielddaddy
JV Team

Post by fielddaddy »

clevelandbrowns#1 wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 8:02 am Some of you would complain if you won $1,000,000 that you wanted $2,000,000. This is a great idea and he will be successful at doing it. Who said anything about taking away a home game?? This would be for good teams playing good teams the first week of the season. If teams don't want to do it then don't! Some of you are the most negative people, if you don't have anything nice to say ......
just the way of this site anymore.
Instead of supporting local schools it's try and tear down anything they try to do or accomplish.
From being proud of their students and praising them for receiving scholarship offers to saying they only win because of transfers.
The kids work hard and coaches work hard to become better as a team.
Ironton played Moeller this year and more people scoffed at them doing this then saying hope they represent SE Ohio well.
Sadly it gets worse every year on here.

Ironmen98
All State

Post by Ironmen98 »

fielddaddy wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 5:50 pm
Instead of supporting local schools it's try and tear down anything they try to do or accomplish.
From being proud of their students and praising them for receiving scholarship offers to saying they only win because of transfers.
Ironton played Moeller this year and more people scoffed at them doing this then saying hope they represent SE Ohio well.

Ok maybe I misunderstood the whole thing. So if Jackson was to play in this it would be an extra game ? Them or a previously scheduled team wouldn’t have to give up a home game ?

countywide35
SEOP

Post by countywide35 »

Interesting.

Mixed feelings about this.

2019 FAC Football Pick’Em Champion
fielddaddy
JV Team

Post by fielddaddy »

Ironmen98 wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 7:08 pm
fielddaddy wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 5:50 pm

Ok maybe I misunderstood the whole thing. So if Jackson was to play in this it would be an extra game ? Them or a previously scheduled team wouldn’t have to give up a home game ?
it basically falls to looking at a chance to play elite competition that one would normally get to play.
Say Jackson has 6 home games this year but a opportunity comes up to play in Ironton against Capital out of Charleston WV a decent big school Division I maybe Division II in Ohio.
Ironton would basically be a midpoint for both schools and prob. be played on a Saturday which would be a good deal for both.
One you would play against a strong school both teams get great exposure true both would be giving up a home game but the chance to measure yourself against a team like that would be incredible.
And I can see Jackson sending several thousand fans to see a game like that.
It is a good idea to want to host a event like this yes on many levels.
The key and I do understand this would a team be willing to give up a home game to play a team they may not play on any other occasion.
It is a tough choice for a team and fans to weigh on.
But SE Ohio gets looked down on in football competition all over the state and this could help bring exposure and help teams for the playoffs in the future.
Just my thought on this subject is all.

TigerMania
JV Team

Post by TigerMania »

How does this benefit Ironton? I’m not sure what this really is, so could someone please explain to me how it is beneficial to Ironton? Thanks

fielddaddy
JV Team

Post by fielddaddy »

TigerMania wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 12:16 pm How does this benefit Ironton? I’m not sure what this really is, so could someone please explain to me how it is beneficial to Ironton? Thanks
Helps Ironton's economy in many ways Hotels restaurants ect.....
Plus shines the light on SE Ohio I am sure if Ironton could put this together they would have sponsors like Spectrum involved for television rights and more.
It has more benefit than not to have something like this I know not everyone would see it this way some again will think it is Ironton just posturing and trying to be a big fish in a small pond so to speak.
And then so be it I like the idea and hope they can pull this off it would be enjoyable to see such an event and the many teams that it may involve.

Beergogglebluez
SE

Post by Beergogglebluez »

I think it’s awesome idea. Kids will give up a home game to get any kind of exposure or to see big name teams. They will meet coaches and kids from different schools and areas. I have no problem driving to burg, ironton, Jackson wherever it’s at. I hope it happens.

Operation Iraqi freedom 3. Sadr city/ eastern Baghdad 2005
Ironmen98
All State

Post by Ironmen98 »

Beergogglebluez wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 1:22 pm I think it’s awesome idea. Kids will give up a home game to get any kind of exposure or to see big name teams. They will meet coaches and kids from different schools and areas. I have no problem driving to burg, ironton, Jackson wherever it’s at. I hope it happens.
It’s cool idea, just don’t think it’s for my team. Guess we’ll see

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

I think it all boils down to the setup of it, it's one thing to say a team is giving up a home game, but have to remember schools are heavily funded by the football program. Giving up a home game is giving up a lot of revenue for teams, now if it's a way for teams to throw their name into a hat in order to help fill a date that's great since that week isn't set anyways. Anyone asking what's in it for Ironton has to know $$$, bring in multiple teams who have a good fan base and they'll make more money in that day then the rest of the OVC home games they have combined. Plus brings a little exposure to SEO and a good time for the fans involved.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

This would work pre season as a jamboree game. But only with teams that would interest local fan bases. The crowd for the Ironton/moller game wasnt a that great. Another thing that hurts these local teams is live feed. It’s killing attendance.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

wobycat wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 7:18 am This would work pre season as a jamboree game. But only with teams that would interest local fan bases. The crowd for the Ironton/moller game wasnt a that great. Another thing that hurts these local teams is live feed. It’s killing attendance.
Pre-season jamboree would be good and you're correct I do think you've got to have closer more localized teams in order to draw a crowd. Like you mention with Moeller, they're a D1 school and my guess would be not many in their area took that game very serious. When you start talking about driving 2 plus hours to play at a DV school venue that none of them would've heard of. Plus having it on Friday is going to hurt the attendance anyways, Saturday should probably bring in more of a draw.

Return to “Football”