Ironton HS multi-game event

SciotoCfootball
Varsity

Ironton HS multi-game event

Post by SciotoCfootball »

Looks like Ironton is going to try and host a multi-game event next September 9th & 10th with them playing the late game on Saturday vs Johnson Central (KY). The other games would be Friday night and Saturday afternoon. Looking for teams from OH, IN, KY, WV.. we could see some really interesting matchups. Plenty of time to make it happen!

greygoose
SEOPS

Re: Ironton HS multi-game event

Post by greygoose »

SciotoCfootball wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 12:15 pm Looks like Ironton is going to try and host a multi-game event next September 9th & 10th with them playing the late game on Saturday vs Johnson Central (KY). The other games would be Friday night and Saturday afternoon. Looking for teams from OH, IN, KY, WV.. we could see some really interesting matchups. Plenty of time to make it happen!
So they're looking for teams to give up a home game?? Or are they looking for teams that have open dates and they're wanting to try and help match teams up?

Kirkland 80
Waterboy

Post by Kirkland 80 »

From what I've read on here seems like they would need to upgrade their visitor seating before they try to do something like this.

Kirkland is a brand of Vodka, 80 proof to be exact, not a town or a school. No imitations here pal.
Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

Interesting concept trying to put together a regular season jamboree or showcase like the old Herbstreit Challenge.

Teams from the tri state would be a draw and anything that increases interest in high school football in the 740/304/606
area codes is a good thing.

Coach Pendleton, if anything, is a promoter of Ironton football. That elevates the game in the SEOP footprint.

Gut feelings are your guardian angels
SciotoCfootball
Varsity

Post by SciotoCfootball »

greygoose wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 1:34 pm
SciotoCfootball wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 12:15 pm Looks like Ironton is going to try and host a multi-game event next September 9th & 10th with them playing the late game on Saturday vs Johnson Central (KY). The other games would be Friday night and Saturday afternoon. Looking for teams from OH, IN, KY, WV.. we could see some really interesting matchups. Plenty of time to make it happen!
So they're looking for teams to give up a home game?? Or are they looking for teams that have open dates and they're wanting to try and help match teams up?
I personally don't know details but I would assume teams with open dates which will limit the amount of options, but with 4 states to pull from I don't see it being a problem. Portsmouth is open week 3 as far as I know so maybe they join in on the fun?

LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

Post by LICKING COUNTY FAN »

Kentucky has done this for years. They are called bowl games where many schools host a double header on both Friday and Saturday.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

LICKING COUNTY FAN wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 7:12 am Kentucky has done this for years. They are called bowl games where many schools host a double header on both Friday and Saturday.
Yep. I’ve been to a couple of them. I think back in the day they used to be big time deals when you could attract d1 signees and their high schools. With the emergence of IMG type schools, I don’t think the attraction was what it once was.

LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

Post by LICKING COUNTY FAN »

wobycat wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 8:54 am
LICKING COUNTY FAN wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 7:12 am Kentucky has done this for years. They are called bowl games where many schools host a double header on both Friday and Saturday.
Yep. I’ve been to a couple of them. I think back in the day they used to be big time deals when you could attract d1 signees and their high schools. With the emergence of IMG type schools, I don’t think the attraction was what it once was.
I have been to several of them.
The Pike County Bowl is my fav. I plan on hitting that one again next season.
If Ironton pulls this off it could be a big thing for other schools in the area with turf to try and do.

fielddaddy
JV Team

Post by fielddaddy »

I think it would be a very big thing for this area.
Wonder what the format would be though game on Friday 3 on Saturday and one on Sunday.
regardless I think it would be a huge drawl depending on the teams invited

nctabulator
Riding the Bench

Post by nctabulator »

fielddaddy wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 7:42 pm I think it would be a very big thing for this area.
Wonder what the format would be though game on Friday 3 on Saturday and one on Sunday.
regardless I think it would be a huge drawl depending on the teams invited
1 Friday night, 1 Saturday afternoon, and Ironton vs. Johnson Central closing it out on Saturday night.

RiverRatRay
SEOPS HOF

Post by RiverRatRay »

Coach Pendleton is a dedicated worker when it comes to getting kids the attention of college coaches. This is just another way of getting them to come into this part of the country to watch these athletes. He has had coaches from 6 major colleges into Ironton already this winter. Eastern Michigan, Miami of Ohio, Illinois, Kentucky, Cincinnati and Stanford. Not too shabby for a small school in Southern Ohio. He works hard for his kids. A lot of credit due him.

MasterOfNone
All Conference

Post by MasterOfNone »

Cool idea. But I don’t see the interest that it would draw from other schools. Why would a team want to travel to a neutral site and play, I guess unless you are playing a big time opponent that would be meeting halfway to save a ton of travel time. What team would honestly want to play a Saturday afternoon game? Would be nice for the fans of football to take in some games. But I just don’t see how it would be very appealing to other football programs. I could be wrong.

fielddaddy
JV Team

Post by fielddaddy »

MasterOfNone wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 10:56 am Cool idea. But I don’t see the interest that it would draw from other schools. Why would a team want to travel to a neutral site and play, I guess unless you are playing a big time opponent that would be meeting halfway to save a ton of travel time. What team would honestly want to play a Saturday afternoon game? Would be nice for the fans of football to take in some games. But I just don’t see how it would be very appealing to other football programs. I could be wrong.
I could see Ironton working toward getting a big school to come here to play another school they would probably not normally play.
A Cincinnati large school playing a large WV school same with KY schools.
The Ironton classic does the same thing on some levels in basketball.
Ironton is working on doing some upgrades to it's stadium and that will be a plus.
It all depends if a team can benefit from coming to Ironton to play in such a event as this.

artisgilmore
Varsity

Post by artisgilmore »

MasterOfNone wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 10:56 am Cool idea. But I don’t see the interest that it would draw from other schools. Why would a team want to travel to a neutral site and play, I guess unless you are playing a big time opponent that would be meeting halfway to save a ton of travel time. What team would honestly want to play a Saturday afternoon game? Would be nice for the fans of football to take in some games. But I just don’t see how it would be very appealing to other football programs. I could be wrong.
With all due respect,you are.

artisgilmore
Varsity

Post by artisgilmore »

They will come because of the exposure,plus they get paid.

TigerBob
All Conference

Post by TigerBob »

For this to be successful, I think you’re looking for teams that are good but maybe don’t draw fans to home games (thinking private schools) where you can pay them enough to make it worth their while and/or teams desperate to fill their schedule.

From the fan side of things, this being during college football season may discourage some from attending. Ohio State plays Arkansas State next year that week, which should be ok. Try to make it a yearly thing the 2nd weekend of September and you’re going to run into a problem eventually.

Ironmen98
All State

Post by Ironmen98 »

No one is giving up a home game to go play at the ironton. Maybe basketball and baseball but not football.

Beergogglebluez
SE

Post by Beergogglebluez »

They will give up a game to see college scouts. Ironton seems to be doing that very well. Why are other coaches not doing this recruiting for kids? Maybe they are and ironton just post about it. But I don’t here any college chatter from 99% of the other schools

Operation Iraqi freedom 3. Sadr city/ eastern Baghdad 2005
wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

Beergogglebluez wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 1:28 pm They will give up a game to see college scouts. Ironton seems to be doing that very well. Why are other coaches not doing this recruiting for kids? Maybe they are and ironton just post about it. But I don’t here any college chatter from 99% of the other schools
That’s because they aren’t posting non stop about it. Is it about the kid or them? I wonder sometime.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

Ironmen98 wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 7:14 am No one is giving up a home game to go play at the ironton. Maybe basketball and baseball but not football.
Back in the day, this would have been a great idea. But with hudl highlights and camps, kids can get exposure without having a showcase game. Now if Marion local could come play Ironton or kirtland and burg or Portsmouth. That would draw fans.

Return to “Football”