River Valley Coaching Search

RVRaiderFan
All State

Re: River Valley Coaching Search

Post by RVRaiderFan »

I am hearing that interviews will start the week after Christmas. Several candidates have applied.

Stay tuned!

Once A Raider, Always A Raider!
MTSWNGRVSG
SE

Post by MTSWNGRVSG »

RVRAiderFan since it seams you know what is going on, have people been contacted that are going to be interviewed?

sgtwilliamjames
Waterboy

Post by sgtwilliamjames »

I have heard several names within the district who are front runners

RVRaiderFan
All State

Post by RVRaiderFan »

MTSWNGRVSG wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 9:07 pm RVRAiderFan since it seams you know what is going on, have people been contacted that are going to be interviewed?
MTSWNGRVSG,

From what I have heard the interviews will start next week. I would assume the candidates have been notified, but I am not 100% sure on that.
I would think maybe they are waiting till after Christmas weekend.

Once A Raider, Always A Raider!
Rvfan
Freshman Team

Post by Rvfan »

2trap_4ever wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 9:42 am Serious question. What has to change internally and with parents in order to get this program on a winning track. Coaching is a small piece of what makes a winning program. You have to have administrative support as well as the support of the parents and community.
#1 thing that needs to happen is start in the youth program and teach these kids the basics, how to block, tackle, etc. Also need parents to stop telling their kids they are the best and to not listen to the coach, don't need others to help them. Football is a team sport and these kids need to work as a team. Also, recruit new kids that haven't played before, get the boys in the weight room and have all kids practice all positions, that way when your starter and backup are hurt/sick you can have someone who knows what to do. Work with what you have, not what you want to work. No, I don't want the job, couldn't handle mouthy parents😉 just stating what I've seen over the years that would make this team better.

Edmond Dantes
Riding the Bench

Post by Edmond Dantes »

I heard they interviewed 10 candidates.

That is a really odd practice compared to other schools.

Normally you cut that list down to 3-5 candidates you really like and go from there.

svac83
SE

Post by svac83 »

I am hearing a coach may be coming from the city school district. Maybe two applied

sgtwilliamjames
Waterboy

Post by sgtwilliamjames »

Will RV get the coach it needs, or will RV get the coach it deserves?

Rza1
Freshman Team

Post by Rza1 »

Rvfan wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 4:49 pm
2trap_4ever wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 9:42 am Serious question. What has to change internally and with parents in order to get this program on a winning track. Coaching is a small piece of what makes a winning program. You have to have administrative support as well as the support of the parents and community.
#1 thing that needs to happen is start in the youth program and teach these kids the basics, how to block, tackle, etc. Also need parents to stop telling their kids they are the best and to not listen to the coach, don't need others to help them. Football is a team sport and these kids need to work as a team. Also, recruit new kids that haven't played before, get the boys in the weight room and have all kids practice all positions, that way when your starter and backup are hurt/sick you can have someone who knows what to do. Work with what you have, not what you want to work. No, I don't want the job, couldn't handle mouthy parents😉 just stating what I've seen over the years that would make this team better.

Great question, and accurate answer.

MTSWNGRVSG
SE

Post by MTSWNGRVSG »

Any news on RV?

Edmond Dantes
Riding the Bench

Post by Edmond Dantes »

Hearing Brent Smith is the guy.

Pretty typical RV hire

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

Edmond Dantes wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 5:47 pm Hearing Brent Smith is the guy.

Pretty typical RV hire
The lead singer from shinedown?

Edmond Dantes
Riding the Bench

Post by Edmond Dantes »

No - but just as qualified to run a football program.

MTSWNGRVSG
SE

Post by MTSWNGRVSG »

Give the man a chance! He does a great job with the track team!

Edmond Dantes
Riding the Bench

Post by Edmond Dantes »

When I say typical, I mean it falls in line with almost all coaching hires in RV history - GCLS retreads, which has worked well for them.

And coaching track and volleyball prepares you perfectly for running a football program.

Nothing against the man, I’m sure GCLS loves him because he shows up, turns in all his paperwork and lessons plans on time, and they won’t have to worry about compliance or liability issues.

But that doesn’t mean he can run a winning program.

From what I’ve seen - there are guys who are “Coaches” and “Guys who coach”. Smith would fall into the latter category.

New face, same old process. Going to get the same old results.

sider
All Conference

Post by sider »

Dundas wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 11:21 pm
Edmond Dantes wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 5:47 pm Hearing Brent Smith is the guy.

Pretty typical RV hire
The lead singer from shinedown?
I believe so.

Gray Cat
Varsity

Post by Gray Cat »

Edmond Dantes wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:59 am When I say typical, I mean it falls in line with almost all coaching hires in RV history - GCLS retreads, which has worked well for them.

And coaching track and volleyball prepares you perfectly for running a football program.

Nothing against the man, I’m sure GCLS loves him because he shows up, turns in all his paperwork and lessons plans on time, and they won’t have to worry about compliance or liability issues.

But that doesn’t mean he can run a winning program.

From what I’ve seen - there are guys who are “Coaches” and “Guys who coach”. Smith would fall into the latter category.

New face, same old process. Going to get the same old results.
And the same ole, same ole people saying "give the guy a chance." And the cycle repeats. :o

Coletrain
Waterboy

Post by Coletrain »

If Smith is the guy I think it’s a great hire. Smith played at Bowling Green when Urban Meyer was the coach. I ran track for him and he does great with developing his athletes.
Last edited by Coletrain on Fri Jan 21, 2022 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SlimPickins
Waterboy

Post by SlimPickins »

Liability is a big deal these days. I’d think especially in GCLS. The last thing RV needs is another coach being perp-walked out the building.

Edmond Dantes
Riding the Bench

Post by Edmond Dantes »

SlimPickins wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 3:33 pm Liability is a big deal these days. I’d think especially in GCLS. The last thing RV needs is another coach being perp-walked out the building.

Old news.
Pretty sure both parties moved on just fine.
No legal action was ever done or initiated.
No educational jurisdiction was ever done. The man still has his coaching license actually.

Return to “Football”