Ironton/Ashland

TriState_34

Ironton/Ashland

Post by TriState_34 »

I think may post this in both just to get a wider opinion but I have a few questions.

1. Is Ashland ( Paul Blazers) basketball team ( boys) more succesfull at a more elite level ( performance/competition) than Irontons football program?

2. And completely seperate, what is the temp on another Ironton/Ashland football series?

3. More of a statement than a question. Pendleton & Ironton have had a ton of success. But Pendleton I believe is 0 -- 2 vs Ashland correct?

4. Ashland football coaching change? I've seen a cpl unverified comments from Ironton fans mentioning that and perhaps it somehow maybe played a role in why it did not resume for the upcoming season schedule?

5. Is Ashland ( as opposed to Ironton) truly the more diverse and talented athletic program in that area despite how things are often framed?

kantucky
Varsity

Re: Ironton/Ashland

Post by kantucky »

TriState_34 wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 7:14 pm I think may post this in both just to get a wider opinion but I have a few questions.

1. Is Ashland ( Paul Blazers) basketball team ( boys) more succesfull at a more elite level ( performance/competition) than Irontons football program?

2. And completely seperate, what is the temp on another Ironton/Ashland football series?

3. More of a statement than a question. Pendleton & Ironton have had a ton of success. But Pendleton I believe is 0 -- 2 vs Ashland correct?

4. Ashland football coaching change? I've seen a cpl unverified comments from Ironton fans mentioning that and perhaps it somehow maybe played a role in why it did not resume for the upcoming season schedule?

5. Is Ashland ( as opposed to Ironton) truly the more diverse and talented athletic program in that area despite how things are often framed?
I don't know about some of the stuff you're asking about but as for me, I have nothing but respect for the Ashland Tomcat program. All the years that Ironton owned Ashland under Bob Lutz till late in his career, their fans came in large numbers to Tank Stadium. They were always there. They have always been such a great gate. I can't believe that these two aren't playing. In my opinion, that rivalry is far stronger than any other teams Ironton faces. It was the game for so many years Ironton fans looked forward to. Even when they owned Ironton in the 50's and 60's. "

Now, I can't figure out why these two can't get back together again. Is it considered now a lost cause?

It was said that Ashland considered Bob Lutz at one point when he was a young man. I've often wondered how many state titles he'd owned in Kentucky had he taken the job?! Ashland has several state titles already. The most recent was in 2020

Who remembers after Ironton defeated Ashland in a game that everyone knew was going to be tough and the next day, the score was spray painted on a tower at Armco Steel? it stayed up there for a couple years LOL

Well, Who Wouldn't Love Them Fighting Tigers?!
ohbuckeye2
SEOPS HO

Post by ohbuckeye2 »

Personally I’d like this game to get back on the schedule, been a great series over the years. Does anyone have the overall series record between the two?

oneoak
Varsity

Post by oneoak »

According to fourseasonsfootball.com, Ironton leads the series 54-38-4. The first game was played in 1900.

ohbuckeye2
SEOPS HO

Post by ohbuckeye2 »

oneoak wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 7:39 pm According to fourseasonsfootball.com, Ironton leads the series 54-38-4. The first game was played in 1900.
Thanks for the info, I’ll have to check that site out.

kantucky
Varsity

Post by kantucky »

Ironton lost 7 out of the last 10 games to Ashland. Doesn't that need to be rectified in a convincing fashion?

For years, Ashland hated Ironton football. A little tiger chased Dickie Martin around at night in his dreams...during the day, Bob Lutz lived in his head...a song that he couldn't remove and heard over and over was... 'Men Of Ironton'.....it played and played and played. Sometimes he'd catch himself humming along as he went about his daily task...

Well, Who Wouldn't Love Them Fighting Tigers?!
TriState_34

Post by TriState_34 »

kantucky wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 12:44 pm Ironton lost 7 out of the last 10 games to Ashland. Doesn't that need to be rectified in a convincing fashion?

For years, Ashland hated Ironton football. A little tiger chased Dickie Martin around at night in his dreams...during the day, Bob Lutz lived in his head...a song that he couldn't remove and heard over and over was... 'Men Of Ironton'.....it played and played and played. Sometimes he'd catch himself humming along as he went about his daily task...
Maybe Irontons value as an opponent isn't as great as they perceive? I mean tbh Ashlands replacing them with bigger schools, from bigger communities, and bigger school enrollments who can match and/or exceed your gate without really trying. And Irontons also a much smaller school. Maybe Irontons not much of a must get if we are honest? I wouldnt be in a rush to schedule a tiny ovc school either.
Last edited by TriState_34 on Tue Jan 25, 2022 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Football”