Gallia Academy New Coach….

MR305
Freshman Team

Re: Gallia Academy New Coach….

Post by MR305 »

IronNation95 wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 11:32 am
itsme wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 9:48 am the rumor was his wife has some medical issues and was going to resign
If that's true, you let the man resign and get the respect due to him. Was he non-renewed, or did he resign?
I know what I've read hear, just asking if someone knows for a fact. This is a very interesting thread.
https://www.mydailysentinel.com/sports/ ... e%20Devils.

NON RENEWED

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

Outsider looking in on this one. Someone said in the post that it was because they got beat by Ironton. That’s the goofiest response on here. Most teams aren’t going to beat a loaded up team. Crabtree from valley lost a bunch of times to burg but there’s no way you’re getting rid of that quality of a coach. Now Obviously I don’t know coach penrod but two things stand out to me. One is his record, and the other the amount of kids coming out.

It’s apparent that he can coach, but something is amiss. Something that the public may not be aware of. Perhaps the athletes don’t want to come out and play for him. Or maybe there’s friction internally. Either way. It’s brought about change. What I gather from the article is that the kid coming in, has excitement and experience. I think it’s fair to him to give him a chance.

itsme
Varsity

Post by itsme »

Read Gallipolis City School Board of Education Draft Minutes for last 3 meetings
Nothing was in there about resignation or not renewing his contract
The only thing was approved supplemental contract for Koleton Carter as Head Varsity Football Coach for the 2022 - 2023 school year

XandOs
Varsity

Post by XandOs »

wobycat wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 12:46 pm Outsider looking in on this one. Someone said in the post that it was because they got beat by Ironton. That’s the goofiest response on here. Most teams aren’t going to beat a loaded up team. Crabtree from valley lost a bunch of times to burg but there’s no way you’re getting rid of that quality of a coach. Now Obviously I don’t know coach penrod but two things stand out to me. One is his record, and the other the amount of kids coming out.

It’s apparent that he can coach, but something is amiss. Something that the public may not be aware of. Perhaps the athletes don’t want to come out and play for him. Or maybe there’s friction internally. Either way. It’s brought about change. What I gather from the article is that the kid coming in, has excitement and experience. I think it’s fair to him to give him a chance.
Why is it goofy. If Ironton isn’t in the league Penrod wins 2 more championships in last 4 years and he’s still the HC at Gallia. Simple.

loganlocos
SEOP

Post by loganlocos »

Raider6309 wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:13 pm Penrod to Bloom Carroll seems like the perfect fit. I’m sure he’d love to be in the same region as Gallia at the far superior school
Penrod isn't moving and that would be a heckuva commute.

loganlocos
SEOP

Post by loganlocos »

superblue wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 9:29 am Sounds like slim knows more than most people about what has been going on at the accedemy for many years...lol.... Hey Slim, if you ever consider writing a book about the shanigans that go on at Gallia accedemy let me know. I could introduce you to a few of my friends that could tell you stuff that is hard to believe, but true..
superblue has always been an honest voice on here, even when we've disagreed.

superblue
All Conference

Post by superblue »

Thanks for the compliment locos, hope you and your dad are doing fine. Sounds to me like coach Penrod just got a dirty deal. Wish coach Penrod the best and hope our new coach continues to have success.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

XandOs wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 1:16 pm
wobycat wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 12:46 pm Outsider looking in on this one. Someone said in the post that it was because they got beat by Ironton. That’s the goofiest response on here. Most teams aren’t going to beat a loaded up team. Crabtree from valley lost a bunch of times to burg but there’s no way you’re getting rid of that quality of a coach. Now Obviously I don’t know coach penrod but two things stand out to me. One is his record, and the other the amount of kids coming out.

Why is it goofy. If Ironton isn’t in the league Penrod wins 2 more championships in last 4 years and he’s still the HC at Gallia. Simple.
Because burg would have eliminated every coach in the SOC over the years. They have more SOC titles than all the other teams combined. It’s a nice trophy but it doesn’t define success. I define coaching success as how the program succeeds year in and year out. How they respond when they may have a down year. Not every year is going to be a championship year.

SlimPickins
Waterboy

Post by SlimPickins »

superblue,

I would take you up on that but Im not sure I’d have the patience to write something the size of War and Peace! 😜

toldya
Freshman Team

Post by toldya »

Superblue,

Ahh the voice of reason in the valley. Nice to see you in here. As you know I am a big Penrod supporter so I really question rhis decision.Seems crazy to
non renew a a proven winner. And then to hire an inexperienced coach without even posting the job. But heck the Academy has always done things differently. BTW Blue I am now living in Florida.

MTSWNGRVSG
SE

Post by MTSWNGRVSG »

Give the young man a chance to show what he can do! I have heard several people excited about the hire.

superblue
All Conference

Post by superblue »

Glad to hear from you toldya. We all know that Penrod got a raw deal. Some things coaches can't control, but they get the blame when things go wrong.... What part of Florida are you living in? We might be snowbird neighbors.....lol

svac83
SE

Post by svac83 »

I am a Gallia Academy football fan. I will root for them and wish coach Carter best of Luck. With that being said. Coach Carter will not be a successful head football coach unless he grows up in a hurry. Over this past year he has proven his lack of maturity and in some cases poor judgement. For all the people that wanted this i hope you get exactly what you asked for. I hope your new Coach lives up to all the hype you have given him. I think Cole carter is a good young man and has good intentions. I think he will bring a lot of excitement to the program at least for a little while. But he has already made a few mistakes that shows his youth. There are other coaches in the school system that would of been better hires then coach Carter. Hopefully he gets some of them on his staff. Examples of this would of been coach Mac, Cody Call, the young man that is the baseball coach.

I am a big coach penrod fan. Have been since he was on coach Eddy staff years ago. He is a good football coach that has great character and turns boys into great young men. Thank you for being a influence in so many young men's lives, including my own son. As far as a coaching change goes. People should not read more into this then what there is.

This is a rumor that has been going on for over 2 years. So i will post it because it seems very plausible to me. It is my understanding that after the 2019 year coach Penrod told athletic director that he wanted to spend more time with his young girls and wife and wanted to make his marriage a higher priority and if the school wanted a different head coach that was willing to dedicate more time that he understood. The decision was made to keep Penrod as the coach. so if two years later nothing has changed in that relationship. Coach still wants to take 3 or 4 weeks vacation during summer and be a dad. And if the school decides that they want a coach dedicated 100% to program. You are left with this situation the coach doesn't really resign but you also did not really force him out.

How you don't post the job and do interviews again was a big mistake you would of thought that lesson would of been learned when coach Rife was hired basically the same way.

Ironmen34
Varsity

Post by Ironmen34 »

I’m not around anybody from gallia so I really have no clue, but it definitely sounds a little odd on the outside. I saw where someone said it’s because he couldn’t beat Ironton. If that’s true I think that’s crazy. Ironton has had one of the most dominating runs I’ve seen from a program the past couple years. Nobody around here has been able to hang with Ironton besides a select few. I know coach carter a little bit and he may be inexperienced but I know for a fact you will get a guy that is dedicated and very passionate about the game and the program. There’s no doubt he will be 100% all in to the kids and trying to win games. Will that turn into wins? I have no clue. He was a very good high school player and had a successful collegiate career so I’m assuming his knowledge of the game is pretty good. I hope he does well though he’s a good young man.

MisterGalliaGuy2016
All Conference

Post by MisterGalliaGuy2016 »

Seems a bit odd they'd hire a guy that young. Especially considering GA wasn't particularly good when he played. Hope he does well though.

Vegeta
Riding the Bench

Post by Vegeta »

XandOs wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 10:24 am Say what you want about the coaching change. The Ironton losses got Penrod fired. In last 3 years they got beat 150-7. If you remove the Ironton game off the schedule Gallia wins conf. Championships in 2019 and 2020 and he’s looked at like the savior. Everyone in the OVC is going to struggle beating Ironton going forward. I think Gallia messed up by getting rid of a good coach who brought much success to the program. I see this program going backwards in very near future and falling to middle of the road OVC consistently. Very Bad decision by everyone involved.
I think there is some truth to this statement. It's not so much that Gallia lost to Ironton the last three years. It's the way they lost those games. Ironton is loaded right now, but they aren't invincible. Gallia seems like they haven't been prepared for a big game in at least three seasons. The playoff loss to Waverly in 2019 was just as bad.

JChipwood
All Conference

Post by JChipwood »

No doubt coach P is a good football coach and sets a good example for our young people. Anyone close to this program or even just a common fan in attendance the past 2-3 years has seen a change. I hope those of you questioning the non renewal have the opportunity to discuss this issue personally with him in the future, you will most likely understand. 305 seems to have the best grasp of this situation. Imo the opportunity was given to step down but it didn’t happen. The discipline issues not being addressed did not represent GA in a good light. And they clearly were not addressed. Combine that with declining numbers in a time when GA is consistently winning and it’s obvious something is amiss. Talk to the younger kids and these things add up to the answer everyone seems to find so puzzling. Good football coaches still have to have fire to remain good football coaches and show the dedication required to do so. If not, it’s up to the kids and sometimes kids need motivated. If GA has a football program in 4 years coach carter has been a success because we were fast traci g into not having enough players to field a team, that’s the reality. Given 4-5 years I see us being close to normal numbers, rather than what was looking like maybe a team of 20 fresh-senior.

JChipwood
All Conference

Post by JChipwood »

I do know that this young coach is the only coach I have seen attempt to actually address the discipline issues on Friday nights during the past 3 seasons. And the only voice I have heard attempting to resurrect a mistake, another words teach the players.

ohbuckeye2
SEOPS HO

Post by ohbuckeye2 »

Good luck to the new Coach.

BlizzardMan
S

Post by BlizzardMan »

I'm a Penrod guy and if he ledt not on his own, that sucks. But Coach Cater was brought in with clear direction that he was hopefully the next guy. He can't be blamed for taking his opportunity. He seems to have already started strong and already has a lot in motion and long-term goals. Especially when it comes to youth football, which has been a big problem. The bridge from youth football to middle and high school. He is the coach and can do the job how he wants obviously, but I hope to goodness he cuts out the Elks from operating the youth football program and installs his own program with his own involvement. The Elks football program has been a disaster and joke since it started. Daddy ball and politics at its best.The program has suffered because of it.

Return to “Football”