Wheelersburg 2022

wobycat
SEOPS

Wheelersburg 2022

Post by wobycat »

Now that it’s 2022. What’s the outlook for the pirates?

Offensively: I think they will try to be more run heavy. Return 90% of the line and return starting QB and RB. Senior TE will return from injury last year. He’s really good and will help with the passing game that will probably be conservative. More of a pro set, I would presume

Defensively: Key positions will need to be replaced here, strong safety, corner, and lb were all really good and will be hard to replace. Burg was deep last year on dline and lb but the secondary will be thin depth wise.

Special Teams: Well shoot can’t keep that guy forever. Definitely will hurt. Kicker behind him is good and will be ok but not sure he’s going to be asked to hammer a 45 yarder.

Overall: Will probably battle west and minford for league title. Time will tell on region. But they will be in the mix.

Ironmen98
All State

Re: Wheelersburg 2022

Post by Ironmen98 »

wobycat wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:14 am Now that it’s 2022. What’s the outlook for the pirates?

Offensively: I think they will try to be more run heavy. Return 90% of the line and return starting QB and RB. Senior TE will return from injury last year. He’s really good and will help with the passing game that will probably be conservative. More of a pro set, I would presume

Defensively: Key positions will need to be replaced here, strong safety, corner, and lb were all really good and will be hard to replace. Burg was deep last year on dline and lb but the secondary will be thin depth wise.

Special Teams: Well shoot can’t keep that guy forever. Definitely will hurt. Kicker behind him is good and will be ok but not sure he’s going to be asked to hammer a 45 yarder.

Overall: Will probably battle west and minford for league title. Time will tell on region. But they will be in the mix.

Good post. Looking forward to coming to Ed Miller stadium this season, one of the best games of the year

LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

Post by LICKING COUNTY FAN »

Schedule?

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

LICKING COUNTY FAN wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 6:57 am Schedule?
Still working on two more I think.

Not in order but these are the ones I know of

Ironton
Ashland
Jackson

Minford
Valley
Waverly
West
Oak hill

jgrlzz
Freshman Team

Post by jgrlzz »

WHEELERSBURG
8/19/2022 H Ironton
8/26/2022
9/2/2022 A Russell
9/9/2022 A Ashland Blazer
9/16/2022 H Jackson
9/23/2022 H Minford
9/30/2022 H Oak Hill, OH
10/7/2022 A Waverly
10/14/2022 H Lucasville Valley
10/21/2022 A Portsmouth West

LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

Post by LICKING COUNTY FAN »

Thanks. I am hoping to make a regular-season game again.

countywide35
SEOP

Post by countywide35 »

Wouldn’t put much faith in eveything that’s going to be said about the 2022 version of Tha Burg. A year ago at this time , clear through the summer , the drumming they took Week 1 all was said and talked about how it wasn’t Tha Burg and every reason why they weren’t going to be good.

Well they ended up what Regional Runners-Up?? Revenging the week 1 loss.

It’s Tha Burg. They’ll always be good.

2019 FAC Football Pick’Em Champion
wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

So far good numbers from Burg. tracking 80+ players from freshman to seniors.

art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

80+ player high school roster with every class down to 5th grade around 20+ kids. Where’s that poster who kept saying Burg program was done all last offseason?

Offense should pretty much look the same, although offensive line should now be a strength. Defense has some questions with linebacker looking to be biggest holes to fill with loss of Swords and Williams. Clark at cb also a big loss. Getting Arthur back from injury will be big on both sides of the ball.

Looks to me like a season with league and regional championships being realistic goals. Nothing earth-shattering as that usually is the case for Burg.*

Ironmen98
All State

Post by Ironmen98 »

Burg will be the favorite week 1

Bfan99
Freshman Team

Post by Bfan99 »

Ironmen98 wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 10:09 pm Burg will be the favorite week 1
I don’t see it. Burg lost a lot of talent. Ironton has way more talent returning with the addition of Carter at HB/LB

I can see burg starting slow like last year and getting better at the end of the year for a nice playoff run

NellyWooden
Waterboy

Post by NellyWooden »

You know if you try harder you might put a little bit more of pressure on these young men.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

Bfan99 wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 1:49 am
I don’t see it. Burg lost a lot of talent. Ironton has way more talent returning with the addition of Carter at HB/LB

I can see burg starting slow like last year and getting better at the end of the year for a nice playoff run
Not sure if burg will be favored to win week one. Probably a toss up at this point but burg returns 95% of their team. Small senior class last year and truthfully only lost 3 key players that I believe they will miss especially week one. LB/Kicker/corner.

Ironton will miss their line but will be set at skilled positions. I don’t think Ironton will be as deep.

Ironmen98
All State

Post by Ironmen98 »

wobycat wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 9:29 am
Bfan99 wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 1:49 am

Not sure if burg will be favored to win week one. Probably a toss up at this point but burg returns 95% of their team. Small senior class last year and truthfully only lost 3 key players that I believe they will miss especially week one. LB/Kicker/corner.

Ironton will miss their line but will be set at skilled positions. I don’t think Ironton will be as deep.
Exactly, that’s why Burg will be favored at home.

spider2Ybanana
JV Team

Post by spider2Ybanana »

Wheelersburg has added Archbishop McNicholas out of Cincinnati for Week 2 this year. Regional finalist last year in DIV Region 16 with season coming to an end with a 28-27 loss to eventual state champion Clinton Massie. Not sure what they have returning but should be a tough test. Weeks 1-5 are brutal again this year for the Pirates but hopefully this prepares them for another deep playoff run. Go Burg!

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

spider2Ybanana wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 11:24 am Wheelersburg has added Archbishop McNicholas out of Cincinnati for Week 2 this year. Regional finalist last year in DIV Region 16 with season coming to an end with a 28-27 loss to eventual state champion Clinton Massie. Not sure what they have returning but should be a tough test. Weeks 1-5 are brutal again this year for the Pirates but hopefully this prepares them for another deep playoff run. Go Burg!
Cool. Possibly a Winnable game. But something new either way.

Tow Head
Freshman Team

Post by Tow Head »

spider2Ybanana wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 11:24 am Wheelersburg has added Archbishop McNicholas out of Cincinnati for Week 2 this year. Regional finalist last year in DIV Region 16 with season coming to an end with a 28-27 loss to eventual state champion Clinton Massie. Not sure what they have returning but should be a tough test. Weeks 1-5 are brutal again this year for the Pirates but hopefully this prepares them for another deep playoff run. Go Burg!
Trimble has beefed up their game 1-5 schedule too. I really wanted to see them play Fort Fry again but they got River instead. I think it's good to put the team to the test to get them ready for the second season. Didn't work out last year but that was more the play calling than anything else. Good job of Burg to pick up such a tough team. It should only make them better.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

Burg will have highly recruited Caleb Arthur back for his senior season. Also heard 80 plus kids are out and the freshman class is considered better than the junior class that helped win state.

SWHITE2002
JV Team

Post by SWHITE2002 »

Wheelersburg lost some good players especially on defense that set the tone for the rest of the team. Lost the best corner (DB) in the area. Williams was very underrated. Swords, Brumfield (sp?) etc.
They will be able to fill with solid athletes, but can they fill in the selfless toughness that those guys supplied?

The freshmen have a few good athletes. Couple receivers and quarterback could develop into plus players. Not a lot of size. Unfair to compare them to that class

art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

SWHITE2002 wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 12:27 pm Wheelersburg lost some good players especially on defense that set the tone for the rest of the team. Lost the best corner (DB) in the area. Williams was very underrated. Swords, Brumfield (sp?) etc.
They will be able to fill with solid athletes, but can they fill in the selfless toughness that those guys supplied?

The freshmen have a few good athletes. Couple receivers and quarterback could develop into plus players. Not a lot of size. Unfair to compare them to that class
Those guys will all be tough to replace, but with Arthur back, along with a bunch of juniors who got to play early last year, Burg should be able to reload. Their lines on both side of the ball will be a position of strength this year.

As for the freshman, don’t see any of them being forced into action this year with 80+ players on roster (although a few of them capable of playing varsity minutes). But the talent and depth (around 25 kids) in that class is obvious, and I can see about 8-10 of them being ready to go as sophomores.*

Return to “Football”