New Oak Hill football coach

greygoose
SEOPS

Re: New Oak Hill football coach

Post by greygoose »

3sUp wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 1:47 pm
greygoose wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 12:54 pm Doesn't matter, there's a reason they had to bring in a coach without true experience. This job has nothing positive going for it and it was going to be very hard to fill.
Unfortunately this is true. The state of the job is really who is willing to get beat up on for a few years and try to keep the number of kids playing decent enough through that stretch.

Just going through the applicants they weren’t going to get someone with much experience any way they went. Coaching the biddy league team does not have the worth some posters here seem to think it does.
Yeah it's just the harsh reality of it, honestly if I was a new coach taking this job first thing I would do would be discuss with the board what it would take to try and join the TVC. Staying in SOCII right now with what the other teams have coming up Oak Hill will be at the bottom and honestly not sure they will win a conference game. If the school passed on teachers or coaches within the system that tells me they're looking for new blood and regardless of what some think this might not be a bad thing.

gator81
Freshman Team

Post by gator81 »

Greygoose, well said. Unity can make the difference!!

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

greygoose wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 7:23 pm
3sUp wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 1:47 pm
greygoose wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 12:54 pm Doesn't matter, there's a reason they had to bring in a coach without true experience. This job has nothing positive going for it and it was going to be very hard to fill.
Unfortunately this is true. The state of the job is really who is willing to get beat up on for a few years and try to keep the number of kids playing decent enough through that stretch.

Just going through the applicants they weren’t going to get someone with much experience any way they went. Coaching the biddy league team does not have the worth some posters here seem to think it does.
Yeah it's just the harsh reality of it, honestly if I was a new coach taking this job first thing I would do would be discuss with the board what it would take to try and join the TVC. Staying in SOCII right now with what the other teams have coming up Oak Hill will be at the bottom and honestly not sure they will win a conference game. If the school passed on teachers or coaches within the system that tells me they're looking for new blood and regardless of what some think this might not be a bad thing.
I agree and I’d say with 95% certainty, if Oak Hill petitioned the TVC for membership, they would be added.

Jason Vorhees
S

Post by Jason Vorhees »

Here’s how Oak Hill has fared historically against TVC-Ohio Schools in football:

Alexander: 8-1-1
Athens: 2-6
Meigs: 1-2
Nelsonville-York: 1-3
River Valley: 4-0
Vinton County (includes McArthur): 15-5-2
Wellston: 23-42-1

I think that the TVC-Ohio would be a great fit for Oak Hill. Your closest game is Wellston and your farthest is Nelsonville-York. Oak Hill would fair well in every sport. Then again, I don’t make those decisions. The SOC2 is a slaughterhouse and Oak Hill will be the whipping dog for quite some time, no matter the coach. The last time Oak Hill hired externally, it did not fare well, being Randy Homa. Here’s comparisons for the SOC2 historically:

Valley: 6-15
Minford: 18-24 (only 5 wins since 2000)
Portsmouth West: 6-3
Waverly: 6-10 (one win since 1940)
Wheelersburg: 9-17-1 (one win since 1956)

If Oak Hill wishes to stay mediocre in Football, then the SOC2 seems fitting. Since starting football in 1919, Oak Hill has had 51 seasons with a winning record above .500, and 62 seasons with at least a .500 record. That’s really good all things considered. They’ve had a total of 40 losing seasons, and 8 of those have come in the last 23 years.

I’m in fear that this hire may not be the best one but you’ve got to give the coach a chance. It could be the best thing for the program. It could also be the worst. Paul Carver seemed to do a decent job. However, lining up in the T-Formation almost every play (like it’s the 1940’s Chicago Bears) isn’t conducive to wanting athletes to come out. No kid these days wants to line up in a formation like that. I think that the program needs an overhaul offensively and defensively.

It’s nice to see someone who isn’t directly from the village to get a chance. I’m very interested to see how the new coach will do. Looking at their 2022 schedule, you’ll find out very quickly if he can coach or not (2021 record in parentheses):

Wellston (5-6)
Piketon (10-1)
Rock Hill (3-5)
Northwest (5-6)
Nelsonville-York (8-4)
Valley (4-7)
Wheelersburg (10-4)
Minford (6-4)
Portsmouth West (5-6)
Waverly (9-2)
Total W-L: 65-45

Jrhighmom
Waterboy

Post by Jrhighmom »

Has anyone been able to find any of this guys jobs? I have found none that they listed on the site. Board needs to check into this.

Lion2019
Waterboy

Post by Lion2019 »

Reading through this is some familiar some familiar names one of them being your new head coach. First someone mentioned Hoover, he was our head coach at Lewis County the last 2 years before he was ran out for not being a good ole boy. He took a failing program from 17 players to 50+ with a full JV schedule. Broke a 4 year losing streak and made the playoffs for the first time in 9 years. OH really missed on a rising star if they passed on him. About Vanderhoof, he was an assistant for one year of Hoovers tenure and about 5 practices of the second before he got removed from the field by school administrators. I never had much direct contact with him he seemed like an alright guy but he’s from Raceland with a HOF coach as an uncle but has never coached at Raceland. Instead he’s had to travel hours to Wolfe County to coach JV then Lewis as an assistant now OH easily a 90 minute drive. Having to travel far from an area where anyone knows you and still only lasting 1 year wish you all the best but that’s not a promising track record.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

Jason Vorhees wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:35 pm Here’s how Oak Hill has fared historically against TVC-Ohio Schools in football:

Alexander: 8-1-1
Athens: 2-6
Meigs: 1-2
Nelsonville-York: 1-3
River Valley: 4-0
Vinton County (includes McArthur): 15-5-2
Wellston: 23-42-1

I think that the TVC-Ohio would be a great fit for Oak Hill. Your closest game is Wellston and your farthest is Nelsonville-York. Oak Hill would fair well in every sport. Then again, I don’t make those decisions. The SOC2 is a slaughterhouse and Oak Hill will be the whipping dog for quite some time, no matter the coach. The last time Oak Hill hired externally, it did not fare well, being Randy Homa. Here’s comparisons for the SOC2 historically:

Valley: 6-15
Minford: 18-24 (only 5 wins since 2000)
Portsmouth West: 6-3
Waverly: 6-10 (one win since 1940)
Wheelersburg: 9-17-1 (one win since 1956)

If Oak Hill wishes to stay mediocre in Football, then the SOC2 seems fitting. Since starting football in 1919, Oak Hill has had 51 seasons with a winning record above .500, and 62 seasons with at least a .500 record. That’s really good all things considered. They’ve had a total of 40 losing seasons, and 8 of those have come in the last 23 years.

I’m in fear that this hire may not be the best one but you’ve got to give the coach a chance. It could be the best thing for the program. It could also be the worst. Paul Carver seemed to do a decent job. However, lining up in the T-Formation almost every play (like it’s the 1940’s Chicago Bears) isn’t conducive to wanting athletes to come out. No kid these days wants to line up in a formation like that. I think that the program needs an overhaul offensively and defensively.

It’s nice to see someone who isn’t directly from the village to get a chance. I’m very interested to see how the new coach will do. Looking at their 2022 schedule, you’ll find out very quickly if he can coach or not (2021 record in parentheses):

Wellston (5-6)
Piketon (10-1)
Rock Hill (3-5)
Northwest (5-6)
Nelsonville-York (8-4)
Valley (4-7)
Wheelersburg (10-4)
Minford (6-4)
Portsmouth West (5-6)
Waverly (9-2)
Total W-L: 65-45
Nice information I've thought for years TVC given Oak Hill's size and location would be a perfect fit for the TVC. I believe they could also build back up much quicker with such a move. Yeah and I do agree I believe they needed an outsiders perspective to try and turn things around, simply taking someone that's been in the same system for years wasn't going to get it done. If a team is on a downward slope like Oak Hill has been I don't see how hiring from within can possibly change the situation.

art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

Would hate to see Oak Hill leave the SOC, but would understand because I don't see their football program doing much better anytime soon in SOC II. Also, would be a hard sell to other SOC I schools to move Oak Hill back down with them being D5. TVC probably the best fit for them football-wise.

Still think potential solution is a 3rd division in SOC (for football only) with Oak Hill put in a pod with Northwest, Symmes Valley, and Valley. Then they wouldn't be forced to play Burg, West and Waverly every year unless they wanted to as non-conference games.*

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

art_vandelay wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:31 am Would hate to see Oak Hill leave the SOC, but would understand because I don't see their football program doing much better anytime soon in SOC II. Also, would be a hard sell to other SOC I schools to move Oak Hill back down with them being D5. TVC probably the best fit for them football-wise.

Still think potential solution is a 3rd division in SOC (for football only) with Oak Hill put in a pod with Northwest, Symmes Valley, and Valley. Then they wouldn't be forced to play Burg, West and Waverly every year unless they wanted to as non-conference games.*
That's always been the best solution for a lot of teams in the area in terms SOC adding a 3rd division. Only problem with it would be the ability to get other teams to leave their conference and join just not enough SOC teams to justify 3 divisions.

transplant
SE

Post by transplant »

I agree, would be nice to see 3 divisions, but who do you call? Piketon? Rock Hill? Ironton? All 3?

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

transplant wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:32 am I agree, would be nice to see 3 divisions, but who do you call? Piketon? Rock Hill? Ironton? All 3?
Piketon, Portsmouth, and Unioto would by at the top of my list. Neither Piketon nor Unioto is leaving the SVC though, they're content in winning the gold football not really interested in how the conference prepares them for the playoffs.

transplant
SE

Post by transplant »

Yeah, i could see piketon leaving before unioto. With the right sales pitch, i think it would work.

Oakhilljokesalso
Waterboy

Post by Oakhilljokesalso »

Jrhighmom wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 4:33 am Has anyone been able to find any of this guys jobs? I have found none that they listed on the site. Board needs to check into this.
Call your board members is the only way they will know

Jason Vorhees
S

Post by Jason Vorhees »

Rock Hill and Piketon seem practical.
Rock Hill is the missing connecting mileage between South Gallia and Scioto County. Just makes sense. Plus, Rock Hill has played these teams historically with their W-L record included:

Valley: 5-2
Oak Hill: 31-34-2
Minford: 10-9
Portsmouth West: 8-16
Waverly: 0-0 (Pedro won 6-2 in 1932)
Wheelersburg: 8-15

I think that Rock Hill has a lot to offer in other sports, too. Especially in baseball. Rock Hill always seems to have a solid baseball team. They’ve also played multiple SOC1 teams recently, too.

Piketon, thinking logically, just makes sense. Western, Eastern, and Waverly are already in the SOC1 and SOC2. All 4 county schools in the same conference.

I’ve always thought that the SOC should set something up at the end of the season where you’re last two games for basketball at least, could be similar to the OVAC for conference supremacy.

Whomever suggested Rock Hill and Piketon, I would be onboard with that for the SOC.

OakHillAlumni
Waterboy

Post by OakHillAlumni »

You know what I find troubling is the fact that Oak Hill as well as the parents are more concerned with playing politics rather than supporting a new coach with bring new hop.and vision to the program. Wellston went through the same thing and brought in coaches from the outside and saw success couple of seasons that group was together. I just find it troubling that the village and members of the school are more worried about the new coaches past experience rather than the former coach and his staffs previous three years.....

BigBlueNation
SEOP

Post by BigBlueNation »

art_vandelay wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:31 am Would hate to see Oak Hill leave the SOC, but would understand because I don't see their football program doing much better anytime soon in SOC II. Also, would be a hard sell to other SOC I schools to move Oak Hill back down with them being D5. TVC probably the best fit for them football-wise.

Sounds like a great idea.

Jrhighmom
Waterboy

Post by Jrhighmom »

I wish some of the staff would have stayed. I think he's bringing in most of his own guys.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

Jrhighmom wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 7:50 am I wish some of the staff would have stayed. I think he's bringing in most of his own guys.
Not sure how it went down but you can't keep ppl who don't want to stay.

Stonelion2018
Waterboy

Post by Stonelion2018 »

Reading through this is some familiar some familiar names one of them being your new head coach. First someone mentioned Hoover, he was our head coach at Lewis County the last 2 years before he was ran out for not being a good ole boy. He took a failing program from 17 players to 50+ with a full JV schedule. Broke a 4 year losing streak and made the playoffs for the first time in 9 years. OH really missed on a rising star if they passed on him. About Vanderhoof, he was an assistant for one year of Hoovers tenure and about 5 practices of the second before he got removed from the field by school administrators. I never had much direct contact with him he seemed like an alright guy but he’s from Raceland with a HOF coach as an uncle but has never coached at Raceland. Instead he’s had to travel hours to Wolfe County to coach JV then Lewis as an assistant now OH easily a 90 minute drive. Having to travel far from an area where anyone knows you and still only lasting 1 year wish you all the best but that’s not a promising track record.

Oleballcoach
Waterboy

Post by Oleballcoach »

Jrhighmom wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 7:50 am I wish some of the staff would have stayed. I think he's bringing in most of his own guys.
I’m not sure where you are getting your information but it’s mostly been all wrong. I talked with Boggs and Boggs said that he is bring Oak Hill people on staff. Don’t worry I’ve heard Stewart and Sites are joining him also.

Return to “Football”