Belfry, Kentucky - Interesting To Long Time Ironton Fans

kantucky
Varsity

Belfry, Kentucky - Interesting To Long Time Ironton Fans

Post by kantucky »

Many Ironton fans remember the Tiger's playing Belfry. Actually, we went there and beat them like crazy, the next year, they'd come to Ironton and we'd beat them again like crazy. This went on for years. Belfry fans literally THANKED Ironton for playing them. They said that they wanted to build a great program and by playing a team like Ironton back then, this would make their program so much better they said..actually thanked Ironton for the beating. They were also extremely gracious host too

Must have paid off cause I'm looking at their records, Belfry, which Ironton solidly owned...and I do mean owned...have been state champs now in:
2003, 2004, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016

6 State Titles in 14 years, that's impressive. Shows me they accomplished what they started out to do...

Well, Who Wouldn't Love Them Fighting Tigers?!
RiverRatRay
SEOPS HOF

Re: Belfry, Kentucky - Interesting To Long Time Ironton Fans

Post by RiverRatRay »

Belfry is a great school with a tremendous tradition down there in the Coal fields. Those folks down there loved their football. Their coach has had some great players also. I remember a kid I believe his name was Jones who went on to play at UK. That young man was an exceptional athlete. Johnson Central is another example of a program built from an expansion school. Those people at Paintsville have themselves a top notch football team.

LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

Post by LICKING COUNTY FAN »

Jones was a beast. I forget the other running back in the backfield with him but he was also a stud. I have watched Belfry play in the Pike County Bowl and in the state finals. They have great passionate fans who know their football.

Oleballcoach
Waterboy

Post by Oleballcoach »

Belfry is the team to beat in the East every year.
Jones came back to Belfry to help Coach after a few years in the NFL. He is now the Head Coach of Bourbon county high school. He is a great role model on and off the field for students.

Return to “Football”