(New) Twin State League

Dundas
SEOPS

Re: (New) Twin State League

Post by Dundas »

MttaFan wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 3:48 pm Despite it sounding good to us I talked to a Williamstown insider yesterday and they aren’t going anywhere. They are in a good place they believe in their sports program and the community loves the school as it is. The source said they are actually going to grow in enrollment over the next 10 years, which is rare in our area.
What is Williamstowns enrollment compared to the TSL schools?

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

pioneer19 wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 3:24 pm
Dundas wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 3:21 pm
Notsofastmyfriend wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 2:58 pm

You can’t honestly say Fort Frye would’ve beat Williamstown this year. Maybe ever other year, but not this one.
According to CalPreps, Williamstown would beat Fort this year 34-20.

How far is Williamstown to the other TSL schools?
Williamstown is right across the river from Marietta, so about 15-20 minutes to Warren. 25 to Fort Frye. 1 hour 15 to Point Pleasant.
Seems pretty good logistically.

Bird Dog
All Conference

Post by Bird Dog »

pioneer19 wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 3:23 pm
EasternDspy wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 2:51 pm 3 different times Fort Frye has beat single A champ handily in the reg season. They beat Williamstown last year and they beat Wheeling Central bad both times they last won the title. It’s not a knock on Williamstown but small school Ohio football is just better than West Virginia. Love to see Williamstown face Kirtland.
Kirtland would do to Williamstown, what Williamstown did to Calhoun County.
Kirtland would do to Williamstown what Kirtland did to Fort and what Kirtland did to Ironton and what Kirtland would do to anybody in this area. Just sounds like Williamstown is being belittled and hammered for being Class A in WV. They have won 3 state championships and played in 7 others, what else are they suppose to do? See if they can play up a division? See if they can play in ohio playoffs? With that being said, I agree they would be a good fit in the new league, especially being moved up to AA next year and hope you can get them to join.

beg003
All Conference

Post by beg003 »

Dundas wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 3:53 pm
MttaFan wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 3:48 pm Despite it sounding good to us I talked to a Williamstown insider yesterday and they aren’t going anywhere. They are in a good place they believe in their sports program and the community loves the school as it is. The source said they are actually going to grow in enrollment over the next 10 years, which is rare in our area.
From the WVSSAC website, their 2021-24 enrollment number is 414. They’re one of the bigger class A schools. Probably half the size of Marietta by that number, Warren is is either going through or will be going through some small classes in the near future but is still considerably bigger, Point is roughly the same as Warren, and FF is D6 in Ohio. So size wise, they’re much closer to FF than the others.

pioneer19
All Conference

Post by pioneer19 »

Bird Dog wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 4:04 pm
EasternDspy wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 2:51 pm 3 different times Fort Frye has beat single A champ handily in the reg season. They beat Williamstown last year and they beat Wheeling Central bad both times they last won the title. It’s not a knock on Williamstown but small school Ohio football is just better than West Virginia. Love to see Williamstown face Kirtland.
Kirtland would do to Williamstown what Kirtland did to Fort and what Kirtland did to Ironton and what Kirtland would do to anybody in this area. Just sounds like Williamstown is being belittled and hammered for being Class A in WV. They have won 3 state championships and played in 7 others, what else are they suppose to do? See if they can play up a division? See if they can play in ohio playoffs? With that being said, I agree they would be a good fit in the new league, especially being moved up to AA next year and hope you can get them to join.
The Fort Frye teams that lost to Kirtland in the playoffs would running clock this year’s Williamstown team, but that’s besides the point really. Not trying to belittle Williamstown. I would love to see them join the TSL.

The schedule they have now is fine for the A playoffs. Unless James Monroe or some team in the coalfields that I’m unfamiliar with is better than I think, St. Marys is the only team I see testing them. Depending on how classes are divided up, AA may require a tougher schedule is my point. Enter the TSL. Local teams that also improve the schedule.

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

beg003 wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 4:15 pm
From the WVSSAC website, their 2021-24 enrollment number is 414. They’re one of the bigger class A schools. Probably half the size of Marietta by that number, Warren is is either going through or will be going through some small classes in the near future but is still considerably bigger, Point is roughly the same as Warren, and FF is D6 in Ohio. So size wise, they’re much closer to FF than the others.
Thanks! So if Williamstown grows like was stated earlier, they would probably be okay size wise going forward in the TSL.

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

pioneer19 wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 4:27 pm
Bird Dog wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 4:04 pm

The Fort Frye teams that lost to Kirtland in the playoffs would running clock this year’s Williamstown team, but that’s besides the point really. Not trying to belittle Williamstown. I would love to see them join the TSL.

The schedule they have now is fine for the A playoffs. Unless James Monroe or some team in the coalfields that I’m unfamiliar with is better than I think, St. Marys is the only team I see testing them. Depending on how classes are divided up, AA may require a tougher schedule is my point. Enter the TSL. Local teams that also improve the schedule.
I’m not sure what WV teams draw in terms of visiting fans but I would imagine the TSL could bring more people in the seats across all sports for Williamstown based off of the close drives to Marietta and Warren. Fort will travel well also.

EasternDspy
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by EasternDspy »

Williamstown is bigger than Fort. I think they’d almost be D5.

beg003
All Conference

Post by beg003 »

EasternDspy wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 4:31 pm Williamstown is bigger than Fort. I think they’d almost be D5.
That’s what I thought too, but I couldn’t find a definitive enrollment number for Fort Frye.

beg003
All Conference

Post by beg003 »

Dundas wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 4:30 pm
beg003 wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 4:15 pm

Thanks! So if Williamstown grows like was stated earlier, they would probably be okay size wise going forward in the TSL.
I think so, yes. They have a good basketball program, girls sports are good almost across the board. To me, it would be a positive addition.

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

The TSL could look to bridge the gap to Point by adding Ravenswood and Meigs. Add Williamstown and Athens or Gallia and you could have a pretty solid group all pretty connected.

Marietta
Fort
Warren
Point
Ravenswood
Williamstown
Meigs
Athens/Gallia

beg003
All Conference

Post by beg003 »

Dundas wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 4:49 pm The TSL could look to bridge the gap to Point by adding Ravenswood and Meigs. Add Williamstown and Athens or Gallia and you could have a pretty solid group all pretty connected.

Marietta
Fort
Warren
Point
Ravenswood
Williamstown
Meigs
Athens/Gallia
I would be in favor of this, minus Ravenswood. They’ve been pretty down in a lot of the major sports. These teams on here would beat them pretty bad. Williamstown killed them this year. Other than that, great list. Wouldn’t be upset at all with these teams.

Fanatic
Varsity

Post by Fanatic »

Fort beat Mtta at Mtta By 3 without 4 starters. Williamstown beat Mtta by 3 at home. This year would probably have been a good game Between FF and Williamstown.

bullfrog93
Freshman Team

Post by bullfrog93 »

Dundas wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 4:49 pm The TSL could look to bridge the gap to Point by adding Ravenswood and Meigs. Add Williamstown and Athens or Gallia and you could have a pretty solid group all pretty connected.

Marietta
Fort
Warren
Point
Ravenswood
Williamstown
Meigs
Athens/Gallia
Man you VC guys really are desperate to get Athens out of the TVC and to find Warren a league so they won’t join the TVC. Are you that desperate to avoid competition? I got it when Combs was there and running the whole school that he hated facing Athens and didn’t want to have to face Warren for a league championship. But he’s gone now. So what gives?

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

bullfrog93 wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 7:25 pm

Marietta
Fort
Warren
Point
Ravenswood
Williamstown
Meigs
Athens/Gallia
Man you VC guys really are desperate to get Athens out of the TVC and to find Warren a league so they won’t join the TVC. Are you that desperate to avoid competition? I got it when Combs was there and running the whole school that he hated facing Athens and didn’t want to have to face Warren for a league championship. But he’s gone now. So what gives?
Ha! VC has a more TVC titles than Athens in basketball since they joined. VC has beaten Athens 4 straight years in football. I don’t think we are afraid of the Bulldogs. This is a hypothetical conversation about the TSL and what teams could potentially fit in terms of geography and size. Try to keep up.

Athens will not leave the TVC. They are a great fit in competition and location. We (VC) hope they stay if that makes you feel better. Also, if you didn’t know, Warren is in the TSL. So we aren’t trying to find them a league. They’re already in one. VC didn’t vote Warren out of the TVC. They left on their own. Had they stayed, there would’ve been about 20 more wins against the warriors for VC. 🤷‍♂️

EasternDspy
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by EasternDspy »

Here’s new div for 2024 in WV
Attachments
IMG_5018.jpeg

EasternDspy
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by EasternDspy »

Point Pleasant - 623
Marietta - 592
Warren -504
Cambridge - 447
Morgan - 415
Williamstown - 395
Fort Frye - 264
Waterford - 151

beg003
All Conference

Post by beg003 »

EasternDspy wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 10:25 am Point Pleasant - 623
Marietta - 592
Warren -504
Cambridge - 447
Morgan - 415
Williamstown - 395
Fort Frye - 264
Waterford - 151
Point is bigger than I thought, wow. Warren is way smaller than usual. Thanks for the numbers.

EasternDspy
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by EasternDspy »

Updates -

Athens and Alexander have joined as Soccer teams only.

They made a tiebreaker for football next season.

Williamstown has been contacted to join as well as Cambridge.

They think they can get Logan in a few years.

Athens and Meigs are also targets.

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

EasternDspy wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 1:47 pm Updates -

Athens and Alexander have joined as Soccer teams only.

They made a tiebreaker for football next season.

Williamstown has been contacted to join as well as Cambridge.

They think they can get Logan in a few years.

Athens and Meigs are also targets.
What will be the tiebreaker?

Return to “Football”