2022 SOC1 & SOC2 Predictions

art_vandelay
SE

Re: 2022 SOC1 & SOC2 Predictions

Post by art_vandelay »

art_vandelay wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 10:05 pm
art_vandelay wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 6:47 pm Roster numbers update (approximate numbers based on team photos on twitter):

SOC I
Notre Dame: 32
Green: 30
East: 27

SOC II
Wheelersburg: 73
West: 39
Minford: 35
Valley: 33

Others
Piketon: 49
Portsmouth: 48

Surprised most at West's number as I would've expected around 50 players. Quality is more important than quantity though, and West will be fine next couple of years. SOC I schools' numbers look pretty solid compared to a few years ago. Still missing a few schools and will update.*
Update:

Northwest: 40
Oak Hill: 25
Symmes Valley: 24

Not bad turnout for Northwest but lower than last few years if I recall correctly. Pretty low numbers for Oak Hill and SV.*
Update:

Waverly: 61

RBH23: I've heard Burg includes junior high kids in their marching band, but not certain. Regardless, impressive numbers on their football team while also competing with soccer and cross country for athletes.*

packers80
SE

Post by packers80 »

There's very few kids at BURG who do absolutely nothing. The vast majority participate in an athletic sport while being involved with some other sort of academic club or social organization. This is the same for band members too. The community involvement and support is outstanding and is a big reason why students there want to be a part of some sort of team or club.

Every day is a holiday and every meal is a feast
Ironmen98
All State

Post by Ironmen98 »

[youtube][/youtube]
packers80 wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 8:51 am There's very few kids at BURG who do absolutely nothing. The vast majority participate in an athletic sport while being involved with some other sort of academic club or social organization. This is the same for band members too. The community involvement and support is outstanding and is a big reason why students there want to be a part of some sort of team or club.
Very similar to Jackson , we’ll said .

packers80
SE

Post by packers80 »

Ironmen98 wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 8:52 am [youtube][/youtube]
packers80 wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 8:51 am There's very few kids at BURG who do absolutely nothing. The vast majority participate in an athletic sport while being involved with some other sort of academic club or social organization. This is the same for band members too. The community involvement and support is outstanding and is a big reason why students there want to be a part of some sort of team or club.
Very similar to Jackson , we’ll said .
Yes, very similar. Those schools mirror each other well.

Every day is a holiday and every meal is a feast
RBH23
S

Post by RBH23 »

I get that about Burg. Has always been that way. I’m wondering about the other SOC schools. There was a time when all of them (including Valley) had freshman teams. Today, except possibly Waverly, none of them have the numbers to have Freshman, JV, and Varsity teams. What happened at these schools?

coop
SEOPS

Post by coop »

Valley is at 35 I'm pretty sure.

callie15
Varsity

Post by callie15 »

It's not the schools, it's the population in general in the county. Every year for years population in southeast ohio has gone down. One word JOBS ,JOBS, JOBS young people have to leave area for jobs. They find jobs, get married and have kids and don't come back.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

callie15 wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 12:25 pm It's not the schools, it's the population in general in the county. Every year for years population in southeast ohio has gone down. One word JOBS ,JOBS, JOBS young people have to leave area for jobs. They find jobs, get married and have kids and don't come back.
Area definitely isn’t growing.

coop
SEOPS

Post by coop »

callie15 wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 12:25 pm It's not the schools, it's the population in general in the county. Every year for years population in southeast ohio has gone down. One word JOBS ,JOBS, JOBS young people have to leave area for jobs. They find jobs, get married and have kids and don't come back.
Facts here. These teams were in the 50's and 60's numbers wise consistently, but that has changed drastically.

RBH23
S

Post by RBH23 »

coop wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 12:42 pm
Facts here. These teams were in the 50's and 60's numbers wise consistently, but that has changed drastically.
No doubt economics impacts that area. Can definitely see it in Portsmouth and Ironton numbers; Burg has almost as many boys as Ironton and slightly more than Portsmouth. That wasn’t the case 40 years ago. But Burg is not the exception to kids leaving. Most Burg grads don’t come back either.

For the SOC schools, Waverly has more boys than Wheelersburg yet 15 less football players. Minford and West have fewer boys, but even if the difference was made up with all transfers who play football, these schools will still have substantially fewer players on the football team. Example: West has 15 fewer boys than Burg but over 30 fewer football players.

Do boys in Minford and West no longer like football?

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

smurray wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 9:51 pm
RollCoal wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 4:22 pm In SOC 2, I say it’s Burgs to lose. Second I think is a toss up between West and Waverly. In SOC 1, I think SV is still a favorite despite having a new coach. I could be wrong though. The SOC is a good , competitive conference top to bottom.
Ya, I’d say you are about right. Most people are discounting Waverly but they will be pretty good. Yes, they lost a lot to graduation and Robertson to PV but return the entire offensive line, some great running backs and a couple real nice receivers. The QB spot will be a big question mark but there’s no doubt Waverly will have to be able to run the ball and should be able to run the ball.
Does Alex Boles play for Waverly?

GO LOGAN..The anti-Christ is among us
PTrojan59
S

Post by PTrojan59 »

RBH23 wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 1:00 pm
No doubt economics impacts that area. Can definitely see it in Portsmouth and Ironton numbers; Burg has almost as many boys as Ironton and slightly more than Portsmouth. That wasn’t the case 40 years ago. But Burg is not the exception to kids leaving. Most Burg grads don’t come back either.

For the SOC schools, Waverly has more boys than Wheelersburg yet 15 less football players. Minford and West have fewer boys, but even if the difference was made up with all transfers who play football, these schools will still have substantially fewer players on the football team. Example: West has 15 fewer boys than Burg but over 30 fewer football players.

The numbers for Portsmouth are only going to get worse. I believe I read they combined the 7th and 8th grade teams this year due to lack of numbers. I believe 15 kids total between both grades. Pipeline for the Trojans may be a little dry. I think 7 of those are 8th graders. 9 seniors on this years team. Sign of bad times ahead with the numbers it looks like!

Who Dey!
RBH23
S

Post by RBH23 »

PTrojan59 wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 5:32 pm

The numbers for Portsmouth are only going to get worse. I believe I read they combined the 7th and 8th grade teams this year due to lack of numbers. I believe 15 kids total between both grades. Pipeline for the Trojans may be a little dry. I think 7 of those are 8th graders. 9 seniors on this years team. Sign of bad times ahead with the numbers it looks like!
Why are the numbers so low at Portsmouth?

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

PTrojan59 wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 5:32 pm

WOW, man I hope your numbers are wrong but being you're a Portsmouth guy I'm sure they're not but that's pretty sad. I know they've got the Parker boy coming up next year as he's in 8th now but if you don't have a team to go with him it's not going to help. At that point you have to wonder does he even stay.

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

noreply66 wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 5:10 pm
RollCoal wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 4:22 pm In SOC 2, I say it’s Burgs to lose. Second I think is a toss up between West and Waverly. In SOC 1, I think SV is still a favorite despite having a new coach. I could be wrong though. The SOC is a good , competitive conference top to bottom.
Ya, I’d say you are about right. Most people are discounting Waverly but they will be pretty good. Yes, they lost a lot to graduation and Robertson to PV but return the entire offensive line, some great running backs and a couple real nice receivers. The QB spot will be a big question mark but there’s no doubt Waverly will have to be able to run the ball and should be able to run the ball.
He’s not playing football this year.

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

smurray wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 7:28 pm

I noticed he didn't run track this past spring.

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

smurray wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 7:28 pm

I noticed he didn't run track this past spring.

RelaxGoat

Post by RelaxGoat »

sportsfan2244 wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 6:46 am
RelaxGoat wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 6:34 pm
RiverBallFan1 wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 6:28 pm

This is so true!! Year in and year out it’s always “they don’t have the numbers”. Well, the last few years they have. “They made the playoffs last year”. They played 3 somewhat decent teams and lost to all 3. In the playoffs to a team with a losing record. They hit the mail on the head with the coaching issue. You don’t have to prepare, but the biggest issue is the nepotism within the program. The best player on the team will only touch the ball maybe 5 times a game. You know who he is. Unless it’s a hard hitting team, then he will get the ball until the other team puts in the second team. Head coach has a nephew…feature back, other coach has a grandson…second in carries, other coach son is QB, with another better player behind him. Then there’s another rotation a fathers and sons. “Bring your kid here, you can be a coach”. Tell me it doesn’t happen!!! Original question. Who wins the SOC…NW (even with their carousel of ever changing coaches) SV then ND…maybe Green.
Sportsfan2244, it sounds like you are one of the people benefiting from the current situation there. Chronic name callers have no points to stand on. Hey, those players propped up will do nothing beyond ND. Any coach with desire to do thing right could top Ashley’s losing record.
I am far from a parent but I know the Notre Dame program/system very well. I just don't know what yours and relaxgoat problem is with the coaching staff at ND. If you coach at ND you coach because you love the kids and you love to coach. You don't coach for the money.
Ashley is one of the highest paid coaches in the area. He is the the leader of this program. This football program has no real weightlifting program. A young coach could come in and really make a difference with weightlifting and putting players in the right positions. 5’6” players blocking for 6’2” players isn’t what coaches normally go with.

sportsfan2244
Freshman Team

Post by sportsfan2244 »

Man… is there even a kid besides sparks over 6’2? I doubt it. You need to know what your talking about before making comments. This is why the Titans run the offense they do because it’s mostly angle blocks instead of head to head blocking. Losing one of your best players and your QB really hurts. Once again not having numbers does this. If a starter gets hurt, more than likely they are replaced by a freshman. My worry is how did the Titans opponent score 35 points in the 2nd half? I’ve always thought the defense has been suspect.

sportsfan2244
Freshman Team

Post by sportsfan2244 »

The biggest kid ND has had in awhile has been Edgington, outside of him has been small lineman

Return to “Football”