Best All-Around Athlete (Post - 2000)

PeakedInHighSchool
Waterboy

Best All-Around Athlete (Post - 2000)

Post by PeakedInHighSchool »

Who are some of the best All-Around (Multi-Sport) athletes that you have seen play since the Year 2000? I'm talking about players who specifically excelled at the high school level. Success after high school is also worth mentioning. As this is on the Football forum, I tried to make sure each person actually played Football. I'm interested in hearing some names that I maybe haven't heard or thought about in a while. Disclaimer: Most of these names are from the early to mid 2000's, when I was in High School. :D

...and yes, Joe Burrow is obviously on this list!

Tyler Engle - Fort Frye - Class of 2007
- Football - 3 year starter in Football at QB, did not play his Senior year. Football was not even close to his best sport.
- Basketball - Most 3 pointers made all time in OHSAA history (329), 1,760 career points, 400 rebounds, 240 assists, 130 steals. All-Ohio First Team as a Senior. He was a threat to score from anywhere on the floor, especially behind the arc at home.
- Baseball - All-Ohio First Team in 2007, Batted .502 for his career (.515 his Senior Year). He was an absolute vacuum at Short and could knock the cover off the ball (117 RBI's for his HS career). Went on to play four years as a Shortstop at Ohio State.

Tyler Chadwell - Federal Hocking - Class of 2007
- Football - Solid Running Back/Corner/Kicker who was a pivotal part of Fed's best run in Football (16-5 from 2005-2006, first and only Playoff appearance). All-Ohio HM - 2006.
- Basketball - PG - 3 year player on (arguably) one of the most talented FH groups in school history. Fundamentally sound, smooth shot, lockdown defender. 3 TVC titles - 2005-2007.
- Baseball - Quite possibly one of the best all-around Baseball players I've seen in our little corner of the state. Incredibly smooth glove at Shortstop, dominating on the mound, and while not a power hitter, his ability to hit opposite field, and to find gaps, was unmatched. All-Ohio First Team as a Senior (2007), 2 Time TVC Offensive Player of the Year, .448 career BA, .563 career OBP, 1.36 ERA (Senior Year). Went on to play Baseball at Ohio University, career cut short due to injury.

Jedidiah Stephen - Shenandoah - Class of 2002
- Football - QB/DB/Punter - 4,110 passing yards, 42 passing TDs, 2,000 rushing yards, 32 rushing TDs, 19 career INT's as a DB, averaged 41 yds per punt. Two-time Division 5 Offensive Player of the Year, All-Ohio First Team - 2001
- Basketball - 50-17 career record, 1,278 career points, 25 PPG as a Senior. All-Ohio First Team - 2002, Division 3 Player of the Year - 2002
- Baseball - Middle Infield - .457 Career BA, .541 BA and 12 HRs as a Senior. All-Ohio First Team - 2002. Went on to play SS/3B for four years at Ohio State.

Chris Bethel - Vinton County - Class of 2005
- Football - Dual Threat QB who was a threat to score on every play. All Ohio Selection - 2004. Went on to play for Union College.
- Basketball - Leading scorer for 3 seasons, 1,119 career points, VC leader in 3 pointers (172), All-TVC 3x, All-Ohio Selection - 2004
- Track - All-TVC Long Jump, District Long Jump Champion

Jared Humphreys - Jackson - Class of 2005
- Football - Prolific dual threat QB. Arguably one of the best QB's to come out of Jackson. Rushed for 1,500+ yards and threw for 1,000+ yards in both his Junior and Senior season. Two-Time Team All-Ohio - 2003,2004.
- Basketball - Clutch player, could score anywhere on the floor. Excellent on the defensive end as well.
- Baseball - First Team All Ohio - 2005. Went on to play Baseball at Kent State.

Anthony Dixon - Trimble - Class of 2006 I'm throwing AD on here as an Honorable Mention. He may not have the numbers or achievements that others on this list have, BUT, I saw him do things athletically, as a smaller kid, that still don't compute.
- Football - QB/DB - Wirey and incredibly elusive. Led Trimble to a 9-1 record as a Senior. Member of the All-Ohio Football Team - 2005.
- Basketball - PG - Could shoot the lights out and was a threat to score from anywhere on the floor, especially in Glouster.
- Baseball - Utility player - Two Quick Stories: I watched him pitch a full 9-inning game shutout in Legion baseball. He then turned around and pitched the next 4 -5 innings in the second game of a doubleheader. Pretty sure his arm was rubber. Also along the Legion front...he qualified for the Home Run Derby at Lancaster's Beaver Field by hitting 1, maybe 2 home runs during the season. He went on to win that Home Run Derby by a long shot. Going up against guys that outweighed him by 50+ pounds. Still blows my mind. All-Ohio Selection - 2006

Others that I recall seeing but don't have as much info on:
- Jaymes Haggerty - Gallia Academy - Class of 2007
- Korey Bryant - Waverly - Class of 2005?
- Chris Givens - Chillicothe - Class of 2007
- Donnie Johnson - Gallia - Class of 2004
- Tyler Thompson - Federal Hocking - Class of 2010

I'm sure there are a ton of people I am forgetting (especially from 2010 to present). Thought this could be a fun topic to generate some discussion!

BigBlueNation
SEOP

Re: Best All-Around Athlete (Post - 2000)

Post by BigBlueNation »

Eli Parks from Minford I think he graduated in 2001.
All-state in football, soccer and tennis I believe. He was also a pretty good basketball player. He may have some basketball awards also.Outstanding athlete.

transplant
SE

Post by transplant »

I’ll second Eli. He was a force.

GRFan
Varsity

Post by GRFan »

How about Joe Burrow?

Jared Humphries was one of the best qbs I have seen from Jackson. Brad Young from Wellston and honorable mention to Jaylen Prater from Wellston.

Bird Dog
All Conference

Post by Bird Dog »

GRFan wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 8:10 pm How about Joe Burrow?

Jared Humphries was one of the best qbs I have seen from Jackson. Brad Young from Wellston and honorable mention to Jaylen Prater from Wellston.
How about Joe Burrow What?

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

Grant Gregory Athens best from the SEOAL Kansas State starting QB.
Played Football, basketball, and baseball

Joe Burrow Athens best from the TVC LSU Starting QB
Played Football, basketball, and track

Kicker.
All Conference

Post by Kicker. »

Romanello was very good at Valley, I know he lead both D III in goals during soccer season while also leading D VI in touchdowns during both seasons. Was an athlete at basketball as well

A Kicker of various balls. Trust The Process
transplant
SE

Post by transplant »

Yes he was. Still is today too.

countywide35
SEOP

Post by countywide35 »

Good stuff…..all studs

2019 FAC Football Pick’Em Champion
countywide35
SEOP

Post by countywide35 »

This could turn into a decade thread. Someone start it

1990-1999

2000-2009

2010-2019

2020-Current

bfry
JV Team

Post by bfry »

Best I ever played against. 93-95

Drew Purcell- Ready-LB
Lee Wilschevick- Cincinnati Mariemont-LB
Travis Wylie, Troy Sands, Mark White- Ironton- QB, TE/LB, FB/DE
Paul Dillon- Fairland- TE/DE
Dusty Smith, Andy Compliment- Coal Grove- RB/DB, RB,LB
South Point and Buffalo, WV had some really nice players at that time as well.

Mr Football these 3 years
93- Curtis Enis- Mississinawa Valley- Penn State- NFL
94- Charles Woodson- Fremont Ross- Xichigan-NFL
95- Andy Katzenmoyer- Westerville South- Ohio State- NFL

wrestlefan
JV Team

Post by wrestlefan »

pierce mowery of zane trace would have to be near the top of any list
all state fall athlete in soccer, cross country his first 3 years
his sr. year went out for football and was 1st team all state
all state basketball player in winter
all state track in 5 events
1st team all state in baseball his sr year which was his only year playing

all state in 6 different sports

if he would have decided to kick i truly believe he would have went to the nfl.
he missed a 60 yard field goal wide left in playoffs against burg

OSU22
Varsity

Post by OSU22 »

NY has had a few I can think of

Jay Edwards ‘07
Football basketball track

Derek Arnold ‘10

Hunter edwards ‘16

Someone is put in the same category but I don’t think a lot of people know about him because he was just a 2 sport athlete is Casey Cox class of 2012. Basketball and baseball 4 years on varsity each and to be honest could’ve started varsity for football if he wanted, he’s one of the most athletic guys I’ve seen.

countywide35
SEOP

Post by countywide35 »

wrestlefan wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 1:34 pm pierce mowery of zane trace would have to be near the top of any list

wHat years were these ????

countywide35
SEOP

Post by countywide35 »

OSU22 wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 8:02 am NY has had a few I can think of

Jay Edwards ‘07

Derek Arnold ‘10

Hunter edwards ‘16

Someone is put in the same category but I don’t think a lot of people know about him because he was just a 2 sport athlete is Casey Cox class of 2012. Basketball and baseball 4 years on varsity each and to be honest could’ve started varsity for football if he wanted, he’s one of the most athletic guys I’ve seen.

Since you are speaking NY. Throwback to Justin Gail. What other sports did he play ?

wrestlefan
JV Team

Post by wrestlefan »

countywide35 wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 10:54 am
wrestlefan wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 1:34 pm pierce mowery of zane trace would have to be near the top of any list

wHat years were these ????

His sr year was the 12-1 football team at Zane trace. I'm thinking his sr yr was 2018.
His sr year he was all state in football, basketball, baseball and several events in track. ( although he rarely ran as he played baseball for the first time). He didn't play soccer or run cross country His sr year as he went out for football

OSU22
Varsity

Post by OSU22 »

countywide35 wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 10:56 am
OSU22 wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 8:02 am NY has had a few I can think of

Jay Edwards ‘07

Derek Arnold ‘10

Hunter edwards ‘16

Since you are speaking NY. Throwback to Justin Gail. What other sports did he play ?
Gail was the 90's so that's why I didn't include him. He was a Football, Basketball, Baseball guy. Heard he was a tremendous baseball player.

wch125
All State

Post by wch125 »

2011-2012 Washington CH
Riley Shaw
All State line backer
2 time State Champion wrestler
Track 3rd State in Discus

I know you said post 200o but this is worth mentioning
1988 Washington CH
Chad Thomas 3 time State Qualifier Wrestling
5th State in Pole Vault

College Muskingum University
9 X All American while at Muskingum
Including 5x NCAA Champion in Pole Vault
1992 and 1993 NCAA D3 PV Record

His Daughter won 2 illinois State titles in Pole Vault and this year as a freshman won the Pole vault title for her college I have to check whether it was d2 or 3

mattash
Site Admin

Post by mattash »

great topic

"you miss 100% of the shots you don't take. Wayne Gretzky"

Michael Scott
Ervin13
Waterboy

Post by Ervin13 »

These are older guys but I’m gonna throw a couple names out that I remembered playing baseball against that was monsters on the diamond but I remember them being monsters in every sport they played.

1995 Scott Chapman Alexander drafted in the 6th round out of high school. Scored 42pts the single game scoring record for 28 years in basketball at Alex. I’m not sure they had golf as a sport in high school back then but I’ve heard he a stud on the golf course.

1995 Ryan Williams from Southern was starting Point Guard that could jump out the gym. Pitched throwing low 90’s, played CF and could run like a deer. Starting QB also. He went to Marietta for baseball but got hurt his freshman year
Last edited by Ervin13 on Sun Feb 27, 2022 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Football”