OVC Expansion

Coachg50
Waterboy

OVC Expansion

Post by Coachg50 »

The Ohio Valley (High School) Conference is looking at the possibility of expanding its number of member schools, with the hope of creating two divisions. New member schools would not enter the OVC until the 2024-2025 school year, as it is our hope to provide an adequate amount of time for the school(s) to prepare appropriately with its current situation (whatever that may be).

If your school would be interested in joining the Ohio Valley Conference, please submit a letter of interest to OVC President, Sam Gue, at sgue@rockhill.org, by May 1, 2022. If you have questions prior to submitting a letter, feel free to contact him at Rock Hill High School. The phone number is 740-532-7012.

SciotoCfootball
Varsity

Re: OVC Expansion

Post by SciotoCfootball »

Great idea that could turn into something special 👌

2trap_4ever
S

Post by 2trap_4ever »

We are getting close to the cutoff date for applications. Any takers or does the OVC have to go with what they got?

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

2trap_4ever wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 12:48 pm We are getting close to the cutoff date for applications. Any takers or does the OVC have to go with what they got?
I would be surprised if there were any applications but we will find out soon.

2trap_4ever
S

Post by 2trap_4ever »

So, I am going to take it that no news means no takers. OVC can still break into divisions but would make those final non conf games hard to find.

GoBucks1047
JV Team

Post by GoBucks1047 »

2trap_4ever wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 10:32 am So, I am going to take it that no news means no takers. OVC can still break into divisions but would make those final non conf games hard to find.
If no one is added, I think the best option is to split into 2 divisions as such.

Fairland
Gallia Academy
Ironton
Portsmouth

Chesapeake
Dawson-Bryant
Rock Hill
South Point

You play your division (3 games) and 2 opponents from the other division. That leaves 5 games for non-conference if teams want to schedule teams from the other division, schedule teams from other conferences, or schedule up.

Now if just 1 team applied that was accepted (thinking Symmes Valley, but that's probably a stretch), then I think you look at 2 protected rivals and then rotate 4 of the remaining 6 teams or 3 pods of 3 teams and then play 2 of the 3 teams from the other 2 pods for a 6 game conference schedule.

I'm not sure the OVC would consider 9 teams and would rather stay at 8 or hope for 10 unless they knew they could enter a scheduling agreement with SOC II (may be going to 7?) or TVC-Ohio to help with late season scheduling with 9 teams.

OU2004
Waterboy

Post by OU2004 »

GoBucks1047 wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 12:19 pm
2trap_4ever wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 10:32 am So, I am going to take it that no news means no takers. OVC can still break into divisions but would make those final non conf games hard to find.
If no one is added, I think the best option is to split into 2 divisions as such.

Fairland
Gallia Academy
Ironton
Portsmouth

Chesapeake
Dawson-Bryant
Rock Hill
South Point

You play your division (3 games) and 2 opponents from the other division. That leaves 5 games for non-conference if teams want to schedule teams from the other division, schedule teams from other conferences, or schedule up.

Now if just 1 team applied that was accepted (thinking Symmes Valley, but that's probably a stretch), then I think you look at 2 protected rivals and then rotate 4 of the remaining 6 teams or 3 pods of 3 teams and then play 2 of the 3 teams from the other 2 pods for a 6 game conference schedule.

I'm not sure the OVC would consider 9 teams and would rather stay at 8 or hope for 10 unless they knew they could enter a scheduling agreement with SOC II (may be going to 7?) or TVC-Ohio to help with late season scheduling with 9 teams.
Great idea, although Gallia has no business in the OVC and should be re-assigned to another conference in their area. Ironton and Burg should be together, but Burg is never coming to the OVC, which means Ironton should go too. Add in other local teams like Symmes Valley to take their place.

NYBuckeye96
SEOPS H

Post by NYBuckeye96 »

A scheduling agreement with the TVC Ohio would be interesting. South Point and Rock Hill are the only OVC schools Nelsonville-York has never played. I would love to see Ironton, Portsmouth, Gallia Academy and Coal Grove back on the NY schedule.

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

NYBuckeye96 wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 6:38 pm A scheduling agreement with the TVC Ohio would be interesting. South Point and Rock Hill are the only OVC schools Nelsonville-York has never played. I would love to see Ironton, Portsmouth, Gallia Academy and Coal Grove back on the NY schedule.

VC has played South Point, Coal Grove, Gallia Academy, Chesapeake and Rock Hill quite a bit over the last 20 plus years. Wellston has too I believe. Obviously River Valley has history with them as well. Could be an interesting conference partnership.

21bwc
Waterboy

Post by 21bwc »

Withe the cost of fuel going through the roof schools are not going to be looking to add travel distance

baseball16
All Conference

Post by baseball16 »

Ive said it once, I'll say it again to any AD in the OVC and SOC, Get all AD's together in ONE room and join into 1 Mega conference with 3 or 4 divisions . SOVC Southern Ohio Valley Conference.

BigChuck
JV Team

Post by BigChuck »

Honestly, I don't see how the administrations at Coal Grove and Rock Hill don't at least petition the SOC 1 for membership.

There's the BURG....then there's everyone else!
[img][/http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_Xr29B08bBPw/T ... oll.jpgimg]
OVC
JV Team

Post by OVC »

BigChuck wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 2:37 pm Honestly, I don't see how the administrations at Coal Grove and Rock Hill don't at least petition the SOC 1 for membership.
And why would you say that?

Contemplating all life choices and loyalties…
a_c_m
SEOPS H

Post by a_c_m »

What is the latest on the OVC Expansion?

TigerBob
All Conference

Post by TigerBob »

It’s pretty much dead. Root of whole thing is twofold. Ironton would like less league games in football. More importantly, Coal Grove would like Ironton out of the league, primarily because of football. Neither of these are great reasons to expand. Given that there are no real natural fits, not surprising this thing was dead on arrival.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

Really no surprise here given the leagues overall location this was pretty much a no go from the start. I mean there's just no other teams relatively close in proximity that would be willing to leave their current conference.

fielddaddy
JV Team

Post by fielddaddy »

Ironton will be out of the OVC in a few years because of football.
In other sports they fit well but in football it is a different story all together.
And that may keep any other team from joining the conference.
As for leaving the OVC I don't Ironton will want to but as before mentioned above Coal Grove and 'm sure several other schools are done getting blowed out in these games by Ironton.
And Ironton isn't slowing down in football anytime soon.
Rock Hill would be better off playing Green up county and having a chance to win than playing Ironton and getting beat 56-0 by Ironton same as the other teams.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

fielddaddy wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 10:21 am Ironton will be out of the OVC in a few years because of football.
In other sports they fit well but in football it is a different story all together.
And that may keep any other team from joining the conference.
As for leaving the OVC I don't Ironton will want to but as before mentioned above Coal Grove and 'm sure several other schools are done getting blowed out in these games by Ironton.
And Ironton isn't slowing down in football anytime soon.
Rock Hill would be better off playing Green up county and having a chance to win than playing Ironton and getting beat 56-0 by Ironton same as the other teams.
Well you actually bring up a very interesting point here and one I'm honestly not for sure about. Ironton based on location I'm sure has no intentions of leaving the OVC as there's a lot more sports than just football. So since I'm sure the rest are tired of getting beat down and rightfully so is there anything in the by-laws to where Ironton can actually be kicked out of the OVC??

Vegeta
Riding the Bench

Post by Vegeta »

I doubt Ironton is going to leave. That would put the school in a very tough scheduling position for sports outside of football. The best option for Ironton and the OVC is to have less mandatory league games for football. Oak Hill and River Valley joining the OVC would be ideal but neither seems to be interested.

Ironton
Portsmouth
Fairland
Gallia Academy
South Point

Chesapeake
Rock Hill
Oak Hill
River Valley
Dawson Bryant

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Vegeta wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 7:52 pm I doubt Ironton is going to leave. That would put the school in a very tough scheduling position for sports outside of football. The best option for Ironton and the OVC is to have less mandatory league games for football. Oak Hill and River Valley joining the OVC would be ideal but neither seems to be interested.

Ironton
Portsmouth
Fairland
Gallia Academy
South Point

Chesapeake
Rock Hill
Oak Hill
River Valley
Dawson Bryant
I don’t normally like these threads or the posts on them ….but I like this thought of yours.

Return to “Football”