OVC & SOC Merge Talk

FIDO
S

Re: OVC & SOC Merge Talk

Post by FIDO »

Forget about tradition and all of that as far as the 2 leagues. All of those nostalgic feelings went by the wayside when transfers became the norm. If certain schools dont wanna combine then those looking for greener pastures should form their own conference. There are many options available. And Im certain you can find enough teams to make it work. Travel isnt bad either.

Valley
Minford
Portsmouth
CG
RH
SP
NW
Fairland

No one wants to be cannon fodder to those bringing in multiple players, recruits/transfers, each year. And if these schools get left behind so be it. They are the very one's that have created the environment.

If they have the cojones they'd schedule up each and every week. They dont because they wanna pad stats and recoup/rehab players over half the season so they can pound chest in the playoffs. But, they often fail miserably because they lose the competitive edge.

So, the middle tier of the OVC and SOC should demand a change and if those leagues dont wanna change, shoot the middle finger and form a league with greater parity. It is non existent in both the soc and ovc.

HERO
Riding the Bench

Post by HERO »

Unless the SOC just totally disbands it takes a certain percentage of votes from ALL of the league schools to make a change. This includes the SOC 1 and 2 voting on whatever proposals are talked about.

Unless a lot of meetings and proposals happen, it would be very difficult to get this done in a timely manner. I think the SOC divisions are set up thru 2024. I’m not sure the schools Administrators would make a move before then

baseball16
All State

Post by baseball16 »

FIDO wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 12:35 am Forget about tradition and all of that as far as the 2 leagues. All of those nostalgic feelings went by the wayside when transfers became the norm. If certain schools dont wanna combine then those looking for greener pastures should form their own conference. There are many options available. And Im certain you can find enough teams to make it work. Travel isnt bad either.

Valley
Minford
Portsmouth
CG
RH
SP
NW
Fairland

No one wants to be cannon fodder to those bringing in multiple players, recruits/transfers, each year. And if these schools get left behind so be it. They are the very one's that have created the environment.

If they have the cojones they'd schedule up each and every week. They dont because they wanna pad stats and recoup/rehab players over half the season so they can pound chest in the playoffs. But, they often fail miserably because they lose the competitive edge.

So, the middle tier of the OVC and SOC should demand a change and if those leagues dont wanna change, shoot the middle finger and form a league with greater parity. It is non existent in both the soc and ovc.
Oak Hill?

Northwest
OH
Valley
Rock HIll
South Point
Minford
Coal Grove
Would be a good starting point, but again there are too many variables and too many schools have their own agenda in order to do anything. Just look at all the different ideas on here. LOL

scott1297
All Conference

Post by scott1297 »

Never happen in my lifetime anyways but not excited about Northwest coming back too the soc 2 division

Burg grad 85
SiderBlood
All Conference

Post by SiderBlood »

baseball16 wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 7:58 am
FIDO wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 12:35 am Forget about tradition and all of that as far as the 2 leagues. All of those nostalgic feelings went by the wayside when transfers became the norm. If certain schools dont wanna combine then those looking for greener pastures should form their own conference. There are many options available. And Im certain you can find enough teams to make it work. Travel isnt bad either.

Valley
Minford
Portsmouth
CG
RH
SP
NW
Fairland

Oak Hill?

Northwest
OH
Valley
Rock HIll
South Point
Minford
Coal Grove
Would be a good starting point, but again there are too many variables and too many schools have their own agenda in order to do anything. Just look at all the different ideas on here. LOL
I would add West in that group too

"Everyone has a plan until you get punched in the mouth" - Mike Tyson
pembrook burrows III
JV Team

Post by pembrook burrows III »

Personally, I would love to see Ironton and Fairland join the Mountain State Athletic Conference (MSAC). They would bring that league to 12 members, and facilitate a very coherent pair of divisions:

WEST
Cabell Midland
Huntington
Spring Valley
Hurricane
Ironton
Fairland

EAST
Capitol
George Washington
South Charleston
St. Albans
Riverside
Parkersburg

The travel would be mostly an hour or less in the divisions, the crowds would be large, and the computer points would be big. The media markets are the same. It would bring together strong competitors in 2 of the 3 Tri-State states (Kentucky playoffs make that state a non-starter for a multi-state league). I just do not know if the MSAC would be interested.

sportsfan2015
Freshman Team

Post by sportsfan2015 »

pembrook burrows III wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 11:10 am Personally, I would love to see Ironton and Fairland join the Mountain State Athletic Conference (MSAC). They would bring that league to 12 members, and facilitate a very coherent pair of divisions:

WEST
Cabell Midland
Huntington
Spring Valley
Hurricane
Ironton
Fairland

EAST
Capitol
George Washington
South Charleston
St. Albans
Riverside
Parkersburg

The travel would be mostly an hour or less in the divisions, the crowds would be large, and the computer points would be big. The media markets are the same. It would bring together strong competitors in 2 of the 3 Tri-State states (Kentucky playoffs make that state a non-starter for a multi-state league). I just do not know if the MSAC would be interested.
Not sure if the West Virginia schools would go for this because Ironton and Fairland are not classified as AAA schools for West Virginia and they would lose a lot of playoff points playing teams in a lower division.

pembrook burrows III
JV Team

Post by pembrook burrows III »

Yep, both Ironton and Fairland would be considered AA in WV's three class football system. Many AAA schools will play a game or two against AA schools in WV like Winfield, Poca, Nitro, Pt. Pleasant, or Logan. But it may be too much for the WC schools to bite off.

FIDO
S

Post by FIDO »

baseball16 wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 7:58 am

Valley
Minford
Portsmouth
CG
RH
SP
NW
Fairland

Oak Hill?

Northwest
OH
Valley
Rock HIll
South Point
Minford
Coal Grove
OH, west, portsmouth and probably teams im missing could be added. Id rather have parity in league than some misguided tradition.

BigBoneJerome
Freshman Team

Post by BigBoneJerome »

Portsmouth will want to follow Ironton

Taylormade
Freshman Team

Post by Taylormade »

I just hope CG can win a football trophy where ever they go.

Moses Guthrie
Varsity

Post by Moses Guthrie »

BigBoneJerome wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 6:36 pm Portsmouth will want to follow Ironton
Portsmouth and Ironton will continue to play whether they are both affiliated with the same conference or not.
Death and taxes..

IrontonTigers#1
Freshman Team

Post by IrontonTigers#1 »

OVC is expanding from what I heard from people who actually work at the schools. They are going to 2 divisions.

Big Division
Ironton
Portsmouth
Gallia Academy
Fairland
Open spot

Small Division
Rock Hill
Coal Grove
South Point
Chesapeake
Oak Hill
Northwest
Symmes Valley

Heard about it the other day after they had a meeting at Rock Hill. Their was school representatives at the Meeting Looking to Join The OVC. They Apparently voted to let those Schools into the Conference.

Go Ironton Fighting Tigers, GoTexas Longhorns
SOCobserver
Waterboy

Post by SOCobserver »

Somebody is lying. I was at the RH board meeting. Nothing about leaving the OVC was talked about and no one was there from another conference. As far as NW leaving the SOC according to Jason Taylor, that hadn't been talked about either. A whole lot of "he said" going on but not a lot of saying who "he" is.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

IrontonTigers#1 wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 1:41 pm OVC is expanding from what I heard from people who actually work at the schools. They are going to 2 divisions.

Big Division
Ironton
Portsmouth
Gallia Academy
Fairland
Open spot

Small Division
Rock Hill
Coal Grove
South Point
Chesapeake
Oak Hill
Northwest
Symmes Valley

Heard about it the other day after they had a meeting at Rock Hill. Their was school representatives at the Meeting Looking to Join The OVC. They Apparently voted to let those Schools into the Conference.
:lol: :lol: So division 7 Symmes Valley is going to jump into that, nope. Also you think they voted in teams and formed 2 divisions without having a team in place?? Ya'll got some stories going on that's for sure.

IrontonTigers#1
Freshman Team

Post by IrontonTigers#1 »

greygoose wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 8:45 pm
IrontonTigers#1 wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 1:41 pm OVC is expanding from what I heard from people who actually work at the schools. They are going to 2 divisions.

Big Division
Ironton
Portsmouth
Gallia Academy
Fairland
Open spot

Small Division
Rock Hill
Coal Grove
South Point
Chesapeake
Oak Hill
Northwest
Symmes Valley

:lol: :lol: So division 7 Symmes Valley is going to jump into that, nope. Also you think they voted in teams and formed 2 divisions without having a team in place?? Ya'll got some stories going on that's for sure.
You might think it's a rumor or think I'm full of it but I'm telling you what I have been told and it ain't from anybody that would lie and that's for sure.

Go Ironton Fighting Tigers, GoTexas Longhorns
greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

IrontonTigers#1 wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 9:21 pm
greygoose wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 8:45 pm

Big Division
Ironton
Portsmouth
Gallia Academy
Fairland
Open spot

Small Division
Rock Hill
Coal Grove
South Point
Chesapeake
Oak Hill
Northwest
Symmes Valley

You might think it's a rumor or think I'm full of it but I'm telling you what I have been told and it ain't from anybody that would lie and that's for sure.
Oh I do just think you're putting out there what you heard, but it seems like there's enough contradicting evidence coming from those on the RH meeting that this wasn't the case. Also the notion that Symmes Valley would entertain this I would just find odd and not something that would work. The drives for Symmes and the other SOC1 schools sucks I'm sure with the bypass it helps but SV is a small DVII and I just don't see them competing in this in most sports. Then the notion of here's our big division even though we don't have a team and he's our small division even though 3 of the teams are currently in the SOC, that's just too many moving parts from different schools to where something like this wouldn't get out much more than just 1 guy saying it.

Beergogglebluez
SE

Post by Beergogglebluez »

Ovc did put out on Facebook and been posted here they are looking for teams to expand. This might be the start of whats happening. I don’t think a merger but bring a couple or few new teams to balance out. The bottom ovc just cannot compete with the upper tier.
Last edited by Beergogglebluez on Tue Oct 18, 2022 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Operation Iraqi freedom 3. Sadr city/ eastern Baghdad 2005
baseball16
All State

Post by baseball16 »

Beergogglebluez wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 11:19 am Ovc did put out on Facebook and been posted here they are looking for teams to expand. This might be the start of wants happening. I don’t think a merger but bring a couple or few new teams to balance out. The bottom ovc just cannot compete with the upper tier.
The Same goes for the SOC . There are a lot of Middle Teams that will never compete or win the league. They are stuck like a Rutgers and Northwestern in the Big Ten. SOC could alleviate a lot by using the old Common Sense. Eastern pike should be in the Smaller school in basketball , softball, and baseball. SOC should be 3 divisions based on competition. Soccer schools should not have a vote on Football matters. Common Sense beats out Bylaws everyday.

goUK
Varsity

Post by goUK »

FAC North
Miami Trace 613
Hillsboro 548
Washington 516
Mcclain 458
Add 2 more

FAC South
Chillicothe- 714.....Possibly FAC North