OVC & SOC Merge Talk

14U
S

Re: Ironton and the OVC

Post by 14U »

12gauge wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 9:35 am
wobycat wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 7:21 am Kind of a silly post. Ironton has a good team this year and the transfers make them better. This is a good year for ironton but burg beating Ashland and Ashland beating ironton says that they can be beat.

Anyone can be beat any given week. I'm looking forward to playing the Burg again because 1 of 2 things WILL happen
1. Ironton beats the Burg,Burg cries about Ironton having transfers
2. Burg wins and they are loving it because they beat all the transfers
Wheelersburg crying over transfers is equivalent of me giving one of their fans a hundred dollar bill and they wanted 2-50's

Hoping we get to point number 1 again
It’s not about burg it’s about the OVC. If Ironton gets players coming in each year and builds a good program like years past then the OVC isn’t a good fit for Ironton in football only! All other sports are competitive. As for transfers who cares, if a player wants to be on a better team let him. Back in the lutz era they got them every year because the player left to play on a 9-1 or 10-0 team. His team 3-7 or 5-5. That player want to be on a winning program, playoff team and college scouts in stands! I talked to many players from Ironton I played against and I said the same back in the 80’s-early 2000’s. This topic is about Ironton and the OVC and this is my opinion

Tripaces
Freshman Team

Post by Tripaces »

14U wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 8:15 am
Tripaces wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 6:24 am
14U wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 10:23 pm Ironton picked up 9 starters or the league would be a good fit! They have players all over the tri-state that came in and started this year. How many times has Ironton won the OVC?
Ironton did not pick up 9 starters , stop being a jealous cry baby and stop making up lies
Buddy I’m talking about thru each class and if they continue to do that the OVC can’t hold them, to small of schools! Then Ironton will need to go back to independent and keep all other sports in the OVC.
We agree , Ironton needs out of the OVC there will always be a couple good teams but from top to bottom it’s a weak league , would like to see Ironton go back to and play Johnson central , Belfry , Jackson , spring valley teams like that

14U
S

Post by 14U »

Tripaces wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 10:09 am
14U wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 8:15 am
Tripaces wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 6:24 am

Ironton did not pick up 9 starters , stop being a jealous cry baby and stop making up lies
Buddy I’m talking about thru each class and if they continue to do that the OVC can’t hold them, to small of schools! Then Ironton will need to go back to independent and keep all other sports in the OVC.
We agree , Ironton needs out of the OVC there will always be a couple good teams but from top to bottom it’s a weak league , would like to see Ironton go back to and play Johnson central , Belfry , Jackson , spring valley teams like that
That would be great to go independent again like the 80’s when Ironton played anybody. I used to get with my Ironton buddies I played against to go watch the best game in the area. DeSales, Washington DC team, jackson, Belfry etc!! Teams from Columbus, Cincinnati, Dayton, deep in Kentucky playing their top teams. Tank filled up hour before game, great tailgating with a big ass gate and big split the pot! They could do the Notre Dame thing independent in football, OVC in every other sport.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

I figured this kind of nonsense would start. be careful what you wish for or we'll talk ourselves right out of a league that makes sense finally. remember there are more sports than football involved. you have to make your program better. and your staff better.

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

I'll speak for Portsmouth only........when Portsmouth was voted into the OVC, I thought it would be a good fit for the Trojans because all the schools are relatively the same size. Since PHS became a member, the Trojans haven't been dominant in any sport. OVC titles for Portsmouth in all sports have been very few, with 1 title in boys basketball (2015) and another I believe in volleyball. Still, the OVC is a good place for Portsmouth, and for the most part, the competition has been good and the travel has been reasonable.

Portsmouth HS will never be a consistent powerhouse in any sport; there will be a couple of years here and there where there will be a good amount of talent, but the current enrollment, feeder system, and competitive balance (Portsmouth's CB number is always low) will not lend itself to be a dominant force in the OVC. Currently, the Trojan football program under Coach Kalb is doing very well, but sustaining it will be the real challenge going forward.

Just because Portsmouth is in contention this season for an OVC title in football, doesn't mean that an exit strategy for PHS should be drawn up. Portsmouth HS isn't going anywhere, and shouldn't. The OVC is a good fit and I enjoy it immensely, even with a dearth of conference titles.

GO TROJANS!! GO OVC!!

laser breath
Varsity

Post by laser breath »

Please please ironton go independent. They’d have to schedule up, and get throttled most games. Plus their CB would put them in D3 and they’d never make a playoff game. This is the most entertaining thread this week. Just last year they barely made the playoffs and this year they need to go independent because they thrashed a subpar Gallia team without their best player. An ironton team with 4 starting transfers and a d1 recruit. Yes ironton please leave the OVC.

Tripaces
Freshman Team

Post by Tripaces »

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 10:20 am I figured this kind of nonsense would start. be careful what you wish for or we'll talk ourselves right out of a league that makes sense finally. remember there are more sports than football involved. you have to make your program better. and your staff better.
There are a lot more sports involved but at Ironton it’s football driven , and IMO if Ironton wants to return to the team they use to be and compete at the state every year they have it get out of the OVC , look at the scores 52-0 , 49-0, 48-12 , 52-6 , 36-6 how is that preparing you for what really matters which is the playoffs ? It don’t

laser breath
Varsity

Post by laser breath »

Tripaces wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 11:10 am
YOU'RE TIGER BAIT wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 10:20 am I figured this kind of nonsense would start. be careful what you wish for or we'll talk ourselves right out of a league that makes sense finally. remember there are more sports than football involved. you have to make your program better. and your staff better.
There are a lot more sports involved but at Ironton it’s football driven , and IMO if Ironton wants to return to the team they use to be and compete at the state every year they have it get out of the OVC , look at the scores 52-0 , 49-0, 48-12 , 52-6 , 36-6 how is that preparing you for what really matters which is the playoffs ? It don’t
Yes and they’ve dominated these teams like this for one solid year! Time to get out of the OVC :lol: :lol:
Last edited by laser breath on Sat Oct 26, 2019 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

14U
S

Post by 14U »

I was wonder about the football team only. Other sports are competitive and a great league. Is there a way that if Ironton starts running the OVC year in and year out would the Fighting Tigers go and take football only out of the league? That’s what happen to the OKAC in my option was every football trophy went to Ironton and basketball and baseball went to Portsmouth then league fell apart but all other sports were competitive. It seems like one team takes the gold every year talk starts. I hope not because of traveling these days isn’t like the 70’s-2000.

14U
S

Post by 14U »

I agree with laser breath Ironton had first 2 years in league and won the title but then a few years off then this year has been great year. I give it 5 more years to see where Ironton is and how they fared in OVC then start making a decision on football only!

farmer
SEOP

Post by farmer »

Now a days people wants to change. Things in Ironton have changed. Fans do not overfill the Tank or come close to travel with the team. Which was a big reason for teams to schedule Ironton knowing they will be making money from the Ironton fans. Marshall U changed into the MAC did well in football but moved out because of Football. Travel was so much closer. Being able to drive to games but the move happened. Many people all around the Tri-State area was wearing green. Which you hardly see people wearing as they are out during the weak. Ironton fans do not have Bob Linn's to buy/order whatever they needed.

Things have changed just remember what may seem as greener pastures may not be. Could be the fertilizer being spread is making it look greener.

Buckeye1971
Waterboy

Post by Buckeye1971 »

portsmouth_98 wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 6:10 am
Giorgio Tsoukalous wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 1:55 am
portsmouth_98 wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 1:16 am Ovc quick peak of the last few years.
Ironton 6-0
Chesapeake 4-2
Rock Hill 4-2
Coal Grove 4-2
Portsmouth 2-4
South Point 1-5
Fairland 0-6

Vs Soc 2 1-9
Vs tvc Ohio 1-1
Vs Soc 1 4-1

Ironton loses in d5 1st round
Chesapeake loses in d6 1st round

Ironton 7-0
Chesapeake 6-1
Portsmouth 4-3
Coal Grove 3-4
Fairland 3-4
Rock Hill 3-4
Gallia Academy 1-6
South Point 0-7

Vs Soc 2 5-6
Vs tvc Ohio 1-3
Vs Soc 1 5-1

Chesapeake loses in d6 1st round

Coal Grove 7-0
Fairland 6-1
Gallia Academy 4-3
Portsmouth 4-3
Ironton 3-4
Rock Hill 3-4
Chesapeake 1-6
South Point 0-7

Vs Soc 2 2-6
Vs tvc Ohio 2-2
Vs Soc 1 2-0

Coal Grove loses in d6 reg final

Gallia Academy 7-0
Ironton 5-2
Portsmouth 5-2
Fairland 4-3
Chesapeake 3-4
Coal Grove 2-5
Rock Hill 2-5
South Point 0-7

Vs Soc 2 2-6
Vs tvc Ohio 6-1
Vs Soc 1 2-2

Gallia loses in d4 1st round
Portsmouth loses in d5 1st round
Fairland loses in d5 1st round

Ironton 6-0
Gallia Academy 5-1
Portsmouth 5-1
Fairland 3-3
Chesapeake 2-4
Rock Hill 2-4
Coal Grove 1-5
Piketon 0-6

Vs Soc 2 5-6
Vs tvc Ohio 4-2
Vs svc 0-1
Vs Soc 1 1-0

Good info! Looks like SOC 2 has faired quite well against the OVC.
Yes, I expected that to be the case but I will probably go back later and see if that gap has narrowed any the last few years since the league expanded. I know in the past it seemed pretty uncommon for anyone other than Coal Grove to consistently compete with Soc teams.
LOL!!! Not surprised that an Ironton poster would start a thread like this. Only thing that surprised me is Ole Bait wasn’t the one to pose the question just to stir the pot.
Check out the records against the so called weak OVC guys, Arnton is not that Powerhouse again just yet. One good season and you think you are State Champ caliber again. Was not to long ago that you were ready to give up on your team, coach and community. Not to mention your fans weren’t even filling the Lawrence County teams Away stands. SMH! Stay put in the OVC where you belong and stop talking nonsense.

BlizzardMan
S

Post by BlizzardMan »

Exactly. What about if the team goes on a decline again? I'm not sure any school in SEO is immune to it these days. What other conference let's Ironton in?

BlizzardMan
S

Post by BlizzardMan »

Buckeye1971 wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 1:41 pm
Giorgio Tsoukalous wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 1:55 am

Good info! Looks like SOC 2 has faired quite well against the OVC.
Yes, I expected that to be the case but I will probably go back later and see if that gap has narrowed any the last few years since the league expanded. I know in the past it seemed pretty uncommon for anyone other than Coal Grove to consistently compete with Soc teams.
LOL!!! Not surprised that an Ironton poster would start a thread like this. Only thing that surprised me is Ole Bait wasn’t the one to pose the question just to stir the pot.
Check out the records against the so called weak OVC guys, Arnton is not that Powerhouse again just yet. One good season and you think you are State Champ caliber again. Was not to long ago that you were ready to give up on your team, coach and community. Not to mention your fans weren’t even filling the Lawrence County teams Away stands. SMH! Stay put in the OVC where you belong and stop talking nonsense.
This....... bravo!

hereforthecomments
Riding the Bench

Post by hereforthecomments »

laser breath wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 10:59 am Please please ironton go independent. They’d have to schedule up, and get throttled most games. Plus their CB would put them in D3 and they’d never make a playoff game. This is the most entertaining thread this week. Just last year they barely made the playoffs and this year they need to go independent because they thrashed a subpar Gallia team without their best player. An ironton team with 4 starting transfers and a d1 recruit. Yes ironton please leave the OVC.
Can’t keep your mind off the Tigers can ya? Still mad about that Week 1 loss? :lol:

TigerMania
JV Team

Post by TigerMania »

BlizzardMan wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 1:56 pm

This....... bravo!
There you are again Blizzardman posting on an Ironton thread. Can’t get enough Ironton can you? Also, how did your team do last night?

TigerMania
JV Team

Post by TigerMania »

When it comes to Ironton and the OVC we need to stay in the OVC. There are some people that can’t let go of the past that we are not the Ironton of the past that beat teams like Desales. I’m from Ironton and I agree we should be in the OVC.
Go Tigers!

frankie
Varsity

Post by frankie »

Tigers don't have the number of good athletes that use to feed the program. Times have changed and like it or not they will never be what they once were.
That doesn't mean they can't field a good team, but it won't be at the same level as in their heydays. just my opinion.

Paulcrew
JV Team

Post by Paulcrew »

if you read this carefully, manynof the “leave ovc” posts are coming from folks who are wishing they would go.

OVC is the only fit for Ironton right now. I still think growth of the conference is what I want.

BlizzardMan
S

Post by BlizzardMan »

TigerMania wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 3:26 pm
BlizzardMan wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 1:56 pm

This....... bravo!
There you are again Blizzardman posting on an Ironton thread. Can’t get enough Ironton can you? Also, how did your team do last night?
Not well, but seeing as how I have other things in my life, I'm quite over it. This is an interesting thread and I wanted to comment. So bite me.

Return to “Football”