OVC & SOC Merge Talk

Mox
Waterboy

Re: Portsmouth in S.O.C.?

Post by Mox »

OVC Champ wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 4:38 pm
XandOs wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 3:03 pm [media][/media]

Call Ironton. I’d guarantee they would entertain the move to the SOC. I don’t think Wheelersburg would want them in though.
Why would Ironton want to go to the SOC, people act like they dominate at all sports?
A better question would be why wouldnt they

old benchwarmer
Freshman Team

Post by old benchwarmer »

PTrojan59 wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 1:33 pm Yeah I’m puzzled every time I see someone suggest some sort of big or power conference with the likes of Jackson, Gallia, Burg, Ironton, so on and so forth in it and it includes Portsmouth. Portsmouth isn’t the old Portsmouth. They are closer to D6 than ever. People tend to live in the past when thinking of Portsmouth football and basketball. Imo the teams listed above on a good year Portsmouth finishes 4th in Football. Just don’t have the numbers to compete with bigger schools. Now I know Ironton & Burg aren’t significantly bigger than Portsmouth but from a Football standpoint they are. 70 kids on average for both the last 5 or so years. Almost doubles Portsmouth who typically averages 42-50 kids on the team per season. Portsmouth is one of the smaller schools in the OVC actually. If they ever leave the OVC it surely shouldn’t be for a conference with bigger schools. Been there and done that with the SEOAL. Lol
Been there, done that. Waverly did that a number of years ago concerning the SEOAL. It wasn't a good fit then. Jackson, Gallipolis, Ironton, Meigs.....I can't remember the rest. Those were really down years for Waverly and they would have had trouble even competing in the SOC with only the one division back then.

BigBoneJerome
Freshman Team

Re: Is ovc expanding?

Post by BigBoneJerome »

Green just won a big game Saturday, the stadium is one of the best and the program will keep getting stronger. Move them up

a_c_m
SEOPS H

Post by a_c_m »

BigBoneJerome wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 6:46 pm Green just won a big game Saturday, the stadium is one of the best and the program will keep getting stronger. Move them up
Do you realize that Green's enrollment is 1/2 of Coal Grove, who is the smallest team in the OVC now?

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

BigBoneJerome wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 6:46 pm Green just won a big game Saturday, the stadium is one of the best and the program will keep getting stronger. Move them up
I'm hoping this was just a joke statement

mattash
Site Admin

Post by mattash »

I will vouch for Greens stadium. It is pretty sweet, not seen a light show like that at the high school level. Visitor bleachers are way back though.

"you miss 100% of the shots you don't take. Wayne Gretzky"

Michael Scott
IrontonTigers#1
Freshman Team

Post by IrontonTigers#1 »

OVC BIG DIVISION
IRONTON
PORTSMOUTH
GALLIA ACADEMY
FAIRLAND
JACKSON
WELLSTON

OVC SMALL DIVISION
ROCK HILL
COAL GROVE
CHESAPEAKE
SOUTH POINT
SYMMES VALLEY
OAK HILL

Go Ironton Fighting Tigers, GoTexas Longhorns
GalliaTribe
JV Team

Post by GalliaTribe »

IrontonTigers#1 wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 11:32 pm OVC BIG DIVISION
IRONTON
PORTSMOUTH
GALLIA ACADEMY
FAIRLAND
JACKSON
WELLSTON

OVC SMALL DIVISION
ROCK HILL
COAL GROVE
CHESAPEAKE
SOUTH POINT
SYMMES VALLEY
OAK HILL
I actually like it, but will all of the OVC approve it? Is it too much competition for some or not enough for others?

baseball16
All State

Post by baseball16 »

GalliaTribe wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 7:53 am
IrontonTigers#1 wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 11:32 pm OVC BIG DIVISION
IRONTON
PORTSMOUTH
GALLIA ACADEMY
FAIRLAND
JACKSON
WELLSTON

OVC SMALL DIVISION
ROCK HILL
COAL GROVE
CHESAPEAKE
SOUTH POINT
SYMMES VALLEY
OAK HILL
I actually like it, but will all of the OVC approve it? Is it too much competition for some or not enough for others?
Wellston? LOL They would never approve this hypothetical. They would be better off getting Wheelersburg or Waverly for the Big Division.

goUK
Varsity

Post by goUK »

old benchwarmer wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 5:22 pm
PTrojan59 wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 1:33 pm Yeah I’m puzzled every time I see someone suggest some sort of big or power conference with the likes of Jackson, Gallia, Burg, Ironton, so on and so forth in it and it includes Portsmouth. Portsmouth isn’t the old Portsmouth. They are closer to D6 than ever. People tend to live in the past when thinking of Portsmouth football and basketball. Imo the teams listed above on a good year Portsmouth finishes 4th in Football. Just don’t have the numbers to compete with bigger schools. Now I know Ironton & Burg aren’t significantly bigger than Portsmouth but from a Football standpoint they are. 70 kids on average for both the last 5 or so years. Almost doubles Portsmouth who typically averages 42-50 kids on the team per season. Portsmouth is one of the smaller schools in the OVC actually. If they ever leave the OVC it surely shouldn’t be for a conference with bigger schools. Been there and done that with the SEOAL. Lol
Been there, done that. Waverly did that a number of years ago concerning the SEOAL. It wasn't a good fit then. Jackson, Gallipolis, Ironton, Meigs.....I can't remember the rest. Those were really down years for Waverly and they would have had trouble even competing in the SOC with only the one division back then.
Gallia cant even win the OVC, why would they go to a harder conference?

MrPerfect
Freshman Team

Post by MrPerfect »

I think Portsmouth belongs in the SOC 2 and leave NW in SOC 1.
Just my opinion though 😂

WWE HALL OF FAME
portsmouth_98
All State

Post by portsmouth_98 »

I think Oak Hill and Northwest would be the two most likely to look for a new conference. They are not great fits in the SOC 1 or SOC 2 football wise. Not sure how they fit into the other spors.

Oldtimer55
Riding the Bench

SOC I and II Football 2023

Post by Oldtimer55 »

Not sure if this has been addressed previously but I keep hearing that Northwest will be moving back to SOC II with the addition of South Gallia to SOC I…… if true, will the SOC II teams have an additional league game or will someone be moving to SOC I(Oak Hill for example)?

smurray
SEOPS HO

Re: SOC I and II Football 2023

Post by smurray »

Oak Hill should move to SOC1, no idea if they are.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

My understanding they’re just moving up, no one moving down when oak hill was in SOC1 they absolutely dominated it was terrible how lopsided it was. I still think SOC should look into a 3 division split but they’d have to bring in multiple teams for that though.

mattash
Site Admin

Post by mattash »

I agree. Not will never happen but would be perfect

Burg
West
Portsmouth
Ironton
Minford
Waverly
Gallia
Fairland

Valley
Oak Hill
Northwest
Rock Hill
Coal Grove
South Point
Peake
Piketon

Symmes Valley
Eastern
East
South Gallia
Green
Norte Dame

"you miss 100% of the shots you don't take. Wayne Gretzky"

Michael Scott
Oldtimer55
Riding the Bench

Post by Oldtimer55 »

mattash wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 8:09 pm I agree. Not will never happen but would be perfect

Burg
West
Portsmouth
Ironton
Minford
Waverly
Gallia
Fairland

Valley
Oak Hill
Northwest
Rock Hill
Coal Grove
South Point
Peake
Piketon

Symmes Valley
Eastern
East
South Gallia
Green
Norte Dame
Minford wants no part of that scenario!

scott1297
All Conference

Post by scott1297 »

mattash wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 8:09 pm I agree. Not will never happen but would be perfect

Burg
West
Portsmouth
Ironton
Minford
Waverly
Gallia
Fairland

Valley
Oak Hill
Northwest
Rock Hill
Coal Grove
South Point
Peake
Piketon

Symmes Valley
Eastern
East
South Gallia
Green
Norte Dame
Thats way too many teams in the first 2 divisions

Burg grad 85
oneoak
Varsity

Post by oneoak »

Oak Hill should move to the TVC Ohio.

art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

Yeah, Oak Hill should be pounding the table to get back to SOC I. There not much help on way from junior high and their kids’ safety going to be an issue against teams like Burg and West. If SOC won’t cooperate, threaten to leave for the TVC until you get what you want.*

Return to “Football”