OVC & SOC Merge Talk

fielddaddy
JV Team

Re: OVC & SOC Merge Talk

Post by fielddaddy »

ohbuckeye2 wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 1:55 pm I just read in the Herald Dispatch that a vote was held to merge with the SOC, the vote was 4-4 therefore no merger will be happening.

Schools for - Ironton, Rock Hill, Chesapeake, Coal Grove

Schools against - Gallia Academy, Portsmouth, Fairland, South Point
I think it's a distance thing for Fairland and Gallia not wanting to join.
South Point is a enigma on the vote maybe they are wanting the league to stay as it is or one of the teams wanting Ironton out.
Portsmouth voting no is probably from a lot of bad blood with the SOC over the years.
From what I heard though is Ironton is locked in the OVC for the next two years then a vote maybe issued on them being allowed to stay or not.
It may just be a rumor I know alot of fans want Ironton out of the OVC but I believe it would be a mistake they need the OVC for all other sports.
Football is the only sport Ironton dominates in.
If Ironton could go independent in football and stay in all other sports it would be a win win for everyone.
Sadly I think it's a all or nothing deal.

RBH23
S

Post by RBH23 »

TigerBob wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 5:15 pm The idea that Wheelersburg doesn’t routinely have more talent than Minford is comical. Come on.
When’s the last time Burg had a player go to a power 5 conference or play for a school like ND?

Burg’s secret is not that they have overwhelming talent. Sure, they have good players, but their true advantage is that they have far more players than these other teams. Often, they do not have the best player on the field, but they have lots of bodies they can run in and out. Other schools in the SOC do not.

TigerBob
All Conference

Post by TigerBob »

Wheelersburg is like 60-5 all time against Minford with inferior talent 😂😂

Just because Minford had one kid go to Notre Dame doesn’t negate the years and years of superior talent Wheelersburg possessed. It is such a dumb argument that I’m mad at myself for responding.

Oldtimer55
Riding the Bench

Post by Oldtimer55 »

RBH23 wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 9:44 pm
pmow3 wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 9:20 pm Good for Burg RBH. You are right. But this isn’t a new situation. You can go back 30 years and take the schools mentioned and see it’s a competitive group.

Then you can take the other (High turnout-successful) schools and they would be very competitive too.

That’s where I wish the argument would end. Just make the (high turnout) successful schools deal with each other. And the other schools should put together a competitive balance for themselves.

I think some of this problem you are seeing in my words are Big schools - little schools. So let’s call it competitive balance.

Who fits with who.
Divide schools based on “good” and “bad” instead of numbers?

What good would it do West, Minford, and Northwest to play a bunch of D6 schools only to turnaround and play Burg and Ironton in the D5 playoffs? Or should the entire playoff system be revamped so that “good” and “bad” schools are lumped together just to make it “fair”?

Also, what if Minford gets a really popular coach and their participation numbers jump up to Burg’s, resulting in Minford steamrolling the D6 schools who simply do not have the numbers? Do they now get bumped to the “good” conference?

Finally, this does not resolve the other sports where these “bad” schools are very good. Now they are playing down in competition just to satisfy the football competitive balance.

At one time, there were only three divisions and only two teams per region made the playoffs; only 24 total teams made the playoffs each year. Many of Burg’s best teams never played a playoff game because of how hard it was to make it. Such is life…

But now, in our world of “everyone gets a trophy”, there are 7 divisions with 16 teams per region making the playoffs; 448 teams!!! And yet here we are still talking about how unfair the system is.
At one time, only one team per region made the playoffs ( 4 per division) as was the case in 1979 when Ironton won the state championship. Their first playoff game was the state semifinal followed by the state title game the next week.
As you stated, Burg had several great undefeated teams in the 1970’s but never qualified….. in part due the SOC being one division in those days which included East, Notre Dame, and New Boston( yes New Boston had football then).
When Burg made the playoffs in 1981 two teams per region qualified.

RBH23
S

Post by RBH23 »

TigerBob wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 9:19 pm Wheelersburg is like 60-5 all time against Minford with inferior talent 😂😂

Just because Minford had one kid go to Notre Dame doesn’t negate the years and years of superior talent Wheelersburg possessed. It is such a dumb argument that I’m mad at myself for responding.
I’m not saying Burg lacks talent…

My point of bringing this up is that Minford doesn’t have an athletic problem, they don’t have a lack of boys in the school, they simply don’t have the boys coming out for football to compete. Go back the past five years, the games were competitive (except for this year). Minford tended to just run out of gas…

If Burg only had 40 kids playing football instead of close to 80, their results would be dramatically different.

RBH23
S

Post by RBH23 »

Oldtimer55 wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 9:50 pm
RBH23 wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 9:44 pm
pmow3 wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 9:20 pm Good for Burg RBH. You are right. But this isn’t a new situation. You can go back 30 years and take the schools mentioned and see it’s a competitive group.

Then you can take the other (High turnout-successful) schools and they would be very competitive too.

That’s where I wish the argument would end. Just make the (high turnout) successful schools deal with each other. And the other schools should put together a competitive balance for themselves.

I think some of this problem you are seeing in my words are Big schools - little schools. So let’s call it competitive balance.

Who fits with who.
Divide schools based on “good” and “bad” instead of numbers?

What good would it do West, Minford, and Northwest to play a bunch of D6 schools only to turnaround and play Burg and Ironton in the D5 playoffs? Or should the entire playoff system be revamped so that “good” and “bad” schools are lumped together just to make it “fair”?

Also, what if Minford gets a really popular coach and their participation numbers jump up to Burg’s, resulting in Minford steamrolling the D6 schools who simply do not have the numbers? Do they now get bumped to the “good” conference?

Finally, this does not resolve the other sports where these “bad” schools are very good. Now they are playing down in competition just to satisfy the football competitive balance.

At one time, there were only three divisions and only two teams per region made the playoffs; only 24 total teams made the playoffs each year. Many of Burg’s best teams never played a playoff game because of how hard it was to make it. Such is life…

But now, in our world of “everyone gets a trophy”, there are 7 divisions with 16 teams per region making the playoffs; 448 teams!!! And yet here we are still talking about how unfair the system is.
At one time, only one team per region made the playoffs ( 4 per division) as was the case in 1979 when Ironton won the state championship. Their first playoff game was the state semifinal followed by the state title game the next week.
As you stated, Burg had several great undefeated teams in the 1970’s but never qualified….. in part due the SOC being one division in those days which included East, Notre Dame, and New Boston( yes New Boston had football then).
When Burg made the playoffs in 1981 two teams per region qualified.
Didn’t know only one team per region prior to 1981, however, did know about New Boston’s team. They actually had decent success against Burg.

Sonny Weaver
Varsity

Post by Sonny Weaver »

RBH23 wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 4:56 pm
Sonny Weaver wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 1:57 pm
ohbuckeye2 wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 1:55 pm I just read in the Herald Dispatch that a vote was held to merge with the SOC, the vote was 4-4 therefore no merger will be happening.

Schools for - Ironton, Rock Hill, Chesapeake, Coal Grove

Schools against - Gallia Academy, Portsmouth, Fairland, South Point
https://www.herald-dispatch.com/sports/ ... 0f945.html
But was the SOC onboard for this? The article doesn’t clarify that.
I think the vote was to start the process of exploring the possibility to merge with SOC. This vote shut down any chance of of exploring the option.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

TigerBob wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 9:19 pm Wheelersburg is like 60-5 all time against Minford with inferior talent 😂😂

Minford is a big school. They have talent. They also have a good soccer program. I’m not sure they have enough participation in football

Ovenmit
Riding the Bench

Post by Ovenmit »

85inside wrote: Mon May 10, 2010 9:18 am A lot of speculation about Logan, Chillicothe and Warren darting from the SEOAL. What is the OVC and the SEOAL merged? You could call it the Southern Ohio Valley League.

Coal Grove
South Point
Rock Hill
Chesapeake
Fairland
Gallia Academy
Jackson
River Valley
Portsmouth

Maybe ask Symmes Valley and Oak Hill in and maybe split into two divisons
Coal Gtove would be for forming any league to get away from playing ironton. Then they could get a win

Zone6_11Warriors
Waterboy

Post by Zone6_11Warriors »

My thing with the OVC people wanting away from Ironton is that Ironton really is killing it in any other sport besides football. Basketball wins games but not dominant, baseball same way, along with other sports. Also, we have to think about girl sports also. The SOC I schools can get together and say we are tired of ND girls winning, let's get them out.

Westfan
SEOP

Post by Westfan »

Sonny Weaver wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 6:09 am
RBH23 wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 4:56 pm
But was the SOC onboard for this? The article doesn’t clarify that.
I think the vote was to start the process of exploring the possibility to merge with SOC. This vote shut down any chance of of exploring the option.
Still a lot that can happen. Will Northwest and Oak Hill jump ship? What about Waverly?

Will spots within the SOC be filled with Coal Grove and Rock Hill? The two teams that are obviously wanting away from Ironton?

Will the OVC stay put and just vote Ironton out? In that scenario the SOC could be caught with their pants down. I see no way that Ironton would be voted into the SOC

Vegeta
Riding the Bench

Post by Vegeta »

The OVC needs to look into a split as opposed to a full-blown merger with the SOC. Target Oak Hill and River Valley for expansion. Those two schools would be the best overall fit for the conference based on school size and location. The question is would either school be interested?

Ironton
Portsmouth
Gallia Academy
South Point
Fairland

River Valley
Oak Hill
Rock Hill
Dawson-Bryant
Chesapeake

Mytwocents
Waterboy

Post by Mytwocents »

I’d like to know where all these Ironton folks were at several years ago when they came begging the OVC to let them in the conference because they could no longer compete as an independent? Now they want to be critical of the other schools for wanting to leave? It really amazes me and saddens me to see how far Ironton support has fallen. Under Coach Lutz Ironton was loved by the entire area. Yes kids transferred in, but Coach Lutz was high in character and didn’t run his mouth and didn’t beat up the smaller local schools. The smaller local schools supported Ironton and followed them in unity in playoffs. Ironton was loved! Coach Lutz was loved! Coach Lutz and Ironton and the Ironton fans united an entire geographical area. Ironton stood for the small guys and we rooted hard for them even though we were from another school. Oh how times have changed. Now they seem like the big bully on the block, and instead of uniting they have divided. Well done Ironton!

SciotoCfootball
Varsity

Post by SciotoCfootball »

Vegeta wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 7:11 pm The OVC needs to look into a split as opposed to a full-blown merger with the SOC. Target Oak Hill and River Valley for expansion. Those two schools would be the best overall fit for the conference based on school size and location. The question is would either school be interested?

Ironton
Portsmouth
Gallia Academy
South Point
Fairland

River Valley
Oak Hill
Rock Hill
Dawson-Bryant
Chesapeake
Something like this just makes sense, honestly surprised it hasn't happened already.

TigerBob
All Conference

Post by TigerBob »

My guess is South Point and Fairland wouldn’t be thrilled with that scenario.

goUK
Varsity

Post by goUK »

:D
SciotoCfootball wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 8:10 pm
Vegeta wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 7:11 pm The OVC needs to look into a split as opposed to a full-blown merger with the SOC. Target Oak Hill and River Valley for expansion. Those two schools would be the best overall fit for the conference based on school size and location. The question is would either school be interested?

Ironton
Portsmouth
Gallia Academy
South Point
Fairland

River Valley
Oak Hill
Rock Hill
Dawson-Bryant
Chesapeake
Something like this just makes sense, honestly surprised it hasn't happened already.
I mean i applaud the effort, but SP and RV would never agree to this. RV has already been the whipping boy once in the OVC, thats why they got out.

Ironton, Fairland, and Gallia Academy are on an island by themselves when you consider size of school and/or football.

goUK
Varsity

Post by goUK »

Ironton joining the FAC is probably the only realistic option if they want a more competitive football league. If the soc/ovc tried to merge....

Ironton- perfect fit. D5
Jackson- perfect fit. D3
Wheelersburg- perfect fit. D5
Waverly- good fit based on school size. D4
Fairland- good fit except football. D5
Gallia- no way, bolts for TVC? D4

Portsmouth- they cant even win anything in the ovc now so cant play in top tier.
West- football only, gets destroyed in everything else in top tier
Minford- good fit but may never win football in top tier
Chesapeake- traditionally could compete in the middle tier but not in the last 5 years.
South point
Northwest

Coal grove
Rock hill
Valley
OH
South Webster
Eastern Pike

After seeing the OVC float between 5-8 teams in my lifetime, 6 is the optimal number. It provides the best parody and allows for plenty of non conference games.

goUK
Varsity

Post by goUK »

Option #2

Ironton- perfect fit. D5
Jackson- perfect fit. D3
Wheelersburg- perfect fit. D5
Waverly- good fit based on school size. D4
Fairland- good fit except football. D5
Gallia- no way, bolts for TVC? D4

"South"
CG
SP
RH
Chesapeake
Minford
Portsmouth

"North"
Valley
OH
Northwest
SW
West
Eastern Pike
Last edited by goUK on Wed Oct 26, 2022 9:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.

transplant
SE

Post by transplant »

I have a hunch that waverly tries to join the FAC soon.

Vegeta
Riding the Bench

Post by Vegeta »

TigerBob wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 8:21 pm My guess is South Point and Fairland wouldn’t be thrilled with that scenario.
I wouldn't be so sure just yet. Most of the merger talk seemed to be more about getting away from Ironton and both of these schools voted against it. I think aggressively trying to add Oak Hill and River Valley to split the OVC is the best path forward. I see no reason Fairland would be against a setup like this. They are more than capable of competing. South Point might struggle a bit in football. They are definitely much improved this season. Hopefully that trend continues. Their basketball program on the other hand probably ends up in the mix for a title almost every year. I'm just a guy with an opinion, but I think this could work.

Return to “Football”