OVC & SOC Merge Talk

Raiderball
SEOPS H

Re: OVC & SOC Merge Talk

Post by Raiderball »

goUK wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 8:21 pm :D
SciotoCfootball wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 8:10 pm
Vegeta wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 7:11 pm The OVC needs to look into a split as opposed to a full-blown merger with the SOC. Target Oak Hill and River Valley for expansion. Those two schools would be the best overall fit for the conference based on school size and location. The question is would either school be interested?

Ironton
Portsmouth
Gallia Academy
South Point
Fairland

River Valley
Oak Hill
Rock Hill
Dawson-Bryant
Chesapeake
Something like this just makes sense, honestly surprised it hasn't happened already.
I mean i applaud the effort, but SP and RV would never agree to this. RV has already been the whipping boy once in the OVC, thats why they got out.

Ironton, Fairland, and Gallia Academy are on an island by themselves when you consider size of school and/or football.
I believe RV left the OVC for the TVC due to less travel. Also at the time they left there were a few coaches with connections to the TVC schools.

Westfan
SEOP

Post by Westfan »

goUK wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 8:37 pm Ironton joining the FAC is probably the only realistic option if they want a more competitive football league. If the soc/ovc tried to merge....

Ironton- perfect fit. D5
Jackson- perfect fit. D3
Wheelersburg- perfect fit. D5
Waverly- good fit based on school size. D4
Fairland- good fit except football. D5
Gallia- no way, bolts for TVC? D4

Portsmouth- they cant even win anything in the ovc now so cant play in top tier.
West- football only, gets destroyed in everything else in top tier
Minford- good fit but may never win football in top tier
Chesapeake- traditionally could compete in the middle tier but not in the last 5 years.
South point
Northwest

Coal grove
Rock hill
Valley
OH
South Webster
Eastern Pike

After seeing the OVC float between 5-8 teams in my lifetime, 6 is the optimal number. It provides the best parody and allows for plenty of non conference games.
Although I agree West should avoid that larger school Division because they will be D6 the next count, I fail to understand how West gets destroyed in everything else.

Possibly the 2nd Best D3 Softball Team in the State

Boys Basketball team beat Portsmouth and knocked Ironton out of the tournament in 2021 to win Sectional. Last year they beat Fairland on the road in the regular season and almost beat them in the tournament at Fairland. Portsmouth game got canceled but West was better. Beat South Point. Looking to be just as good or better this year

Girls Basketball. Won the Sectional last year. Return everyone and may be the best team in the area this year

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

transplant wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 9:32 pm I have a hunch that waverly tries to join the FAC soon.
If Waverly was looking to leave the SOC-2, I wonder if they might look at the SVC first. They would still be one of the 2 largest ( Unioto ) schools in the SVC, whereas in the FAC there are already 5 Div-3 ( Jackson, Chillicothe, WCH, Miami Trace and Hillsboro ) schools in the FAC. Not sure if it's true or not, but I was told that when the FAC was formed, that Waverly was approached about entering the FAC back then.

Tigernation2021
Varsity

Post by Tigernation2021 »

VetteMan wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 12:01 am
transplant wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 9:32 pm I have a hunch that waverly tries to join the FAC soon.
If Waverly was looking to leave the SOC-2, I wonder if they might look at the SVC first. They would still be one of the 2 largest ( Unioto ) schools in the SVC, whereas in the FAC there are already 5 Div-3 ( Jackson, Chillicothe, WCH, Miami Trace and Hillsboro ) schools in the FAC. Not sure if it's true or not, but I was told that when the FAC was formed, that Waverly was approached about entering the FAC back then.
Hasn't been any talk of Waverly wanting to leave SOC2, and the SVC doesn't want Waverly. Waverly also isn't interested in the FAC.

Tigernation2021
Varsity

goUK wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 9:27 pm Option #2

Ironton- perfect fit. D5
Jackson- perfect fit. D3

"South"
CG
SP
RH
Chesapeake
Minford
Portsmouth

"North"
Valley
OH
Northwest
SW
West
Eastern Pike
How can this even be a serious option? How in the world would a team like Eastern Pike compete here, they barely made D6 status this last count and have been D7 until this season. Valley even being what they were this year walked all over them 35-0.

transplant
SE

Post by transplant »

Tigernation2021 wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 12:43 am
Hasn't been any talk of Waverly wanting to leave SOC2, and the SVC doesn't want Waverly. Waverly also isn't interested in the FAC.
We will see. I don’t think the svc wants waverly either. But I do think waverly would be interested in the FAC. Just my opinion.

Tigernation2021
Varsity

transplant wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 5:33 am
Tigernation2021 wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 12:43 am

We will see. I don’t think the svc wants waverly either. But I do think waverly would be interested in the FAC. Just my opinion.
Well, I'll just say this about Waverly and FAC, if Waverly is considering a FAC move the ones in charge have one hell of a poker face.

transplant
SE

Post by transplant »

Wouldn't you keep it a secret too? They don't need to worry about anyone else. Just do what they think is right for them. But this is just my opinion, sure I have heard some rumors, but not in the know as much as you seem to be, I don't talk to the ones in charge. I'm just saying, I wouldn't be surprised if we see movement at some point in the near future.

BigBoneJerome
Freshman Team

Post by BigBoneJerome »

OVC Big
Portsmouth
Ironton
Fairland
Gallia Academy
South Point
Green

OVC Small
Coal Grove
Rock Hill
Chesapeake
Oak Hill
Symmes Valley
South Gallia

Or

Big
Ironton
Portsmouth
Fairland
Gallia Academy
Jackson or Beaver E
South Point

Small
Rock Hill
Coal Grove
Chesapeake
Oak Hill
Northwest
Symmes Valley or Green

BigBoneJerome
Freshman Team

Post by BigBoneJerome »

1 big school from each county conference

Bully1
Ironton
Portsmouth
Gallia
Meigs
Waverly

Bully 2
Jackson
Logan
Athens
Chillicothe
Fort Frye

BigBoneJerome
Freshman Team

Post by BigBoneJerome »

SOC1
Jackson
Chillicothe
Ironton
Portsmouth
Waverly
Wheelersburg

Soc2
Logan
Athens
Marietta
Warren
Fort Frye
Vinton county

Soc3
Meigs
Gallia academy
River Valley
Nelsonville
Wellston
Trimble

Soc4
Coal grove
Rock hill
Oak hill
Chesapeake
Fairland
Symmes Valley

Soc5
Minford
Valley
Northwest
West
Piketon
Huntington

Soc 6
Unioto
Zane trace
Southeastern
Paint valley
Adena
Westfall

Soc7
Eastern
Western
Green
East
Norte dame
Manchester

Soc8
South Gallia
E Meigs
S Meigs
Waterford
Wahama wv
Hannan trace wv

baller
Waterboy

Post by baller »

I am not sure why anyone would want to play a schedule with Ironton, burg, Chillicothe, Jackson, Waverly and Portsmouth
Waverly played one of the hardest schedules this year and look where it got them, yea they are way better than there record but 5 and 5 and draw Wyoming. Just not worth it and with all those good teams in same conference play. NO THANKS can't play at that level every week.

baseball16
All Conference

Post by baseball16 »

baller wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 8:44 am I am not sure why anyone would want to play a schedule with Ironton, burg, Chillicothe, Jackson, Waverly and Portsmouth
Waverly played one of the hardest schedules this year and look where it got them, yea they are way better than there record but 5 and 5 and draw Wyoming. Just not worth it and with all those good teams in same conference play. NO THANKS can't play at that level every week.
Yea, that Midwest Athletic Conference says the same thing. :D :roll:

"Iron Sharpens Iron"

goUK
Varsity

Post by goUK »

Tigernation2021 wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 12:47 am

Ironton- perfect fit. D5
Jackson- perfect fit. D3

"South"
CG
SP
RH
Chesapeake
Minford
Portsmouth

"North"
Valley
OH
Northwest
SW
West
Eastern Pike
How can this even be a serious option? How in the world would a team like Eastern Pike compete here, they barely made D6 status this last count and have been D7 until this season. Valley even being what they were this year walked all over them 35-0.
Is eastern Pike the next biggest school? If they aren't then who is? Everyone is just spitballing obviously, chill

goUK
Varsity

Post by goUK »

Ivivvu
Last edited by goUK on Thu Oct 27, 2022 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tigernation2021
Varsity

goUK wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 9:16 am

Ironton- perfect fit. D5
Jackson- perfect fit. D3

"South"
CG
SP
RH
Chesapeake
Minford
Portsmouth

"North"
Valley
OH
Northwest
SW
West
Eastern Pike
Is eastern Pike the next biggest school? If they aren't then who is? Everyone is just spitballing obviously, chill
Chill? Not worked up over anything man, it's just by this you simply are off balance with more than one team.

goUK
Varsity

Post by goUK »

Tigernation2021 wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 9:43 am
goUK wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 9:16 am

Chill? Not worked up over anything man, it's just by this you simply are off balance with more than one team.
If you exclude Eastern, then I have a power conference and two conferences based on rivalries and location. Im not sure what the problem is because there will never be a perfect situation.

If eastern is too small, then switch minford back. Pretty simple.

goUK
Varsity

Post by goUK »

Ironton- perfect fit. D5
Jackson- perfect fit. D3

Portsmouth- they cant even win anything in the ovc now so cant play in top tier.
Coal Grove
South point
Rock Hill
Chesapeake

Valley
OH
West
NW
Minford

goUK
Varsity

Post by goUK »

goUK wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 11:11 am Ironton- perfect fit. D5
Jackson- perfect fit. D3
Fairland- good fit except football. D5. May want to go down to the middle tier.

Coal Grove
South point
Rock Hill
Chesapeake

Valley
OH
West
NW
Minford

BigBoneJerome
Freshman Team

Post by BigBoneJerome »

OVC needs to just go after this. Make below football and combine rest for all sports. Would making scheduling easy

1 Ironton
2 Portsmouth
3 Fairland
4 Gallia
5 south point

1 oak hill
2 rock hill
3 coal grove
4 Symmes valley
5 Chesapeake

Return to “Football”