OVC & SOC Merge Talk

TigerMania
JV Team

Re: Portsmouth in S.O.C.?

Post by TigerMania »

I’d prefer to see everyone just stay in their own conferences with some good non conference opponents on their schedules. College football should do the same thing instead of trying to mess everything up.

FIDO
S

Post by FIDO »

TigerMania wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 7:32 pm
FIDO wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 11:28 pm It's silly portsmouth isn't in the league. There are some that'll play the race card and accuse the league of racism. It's probably a combination of all the things previously mentioned: old grudges, competition, etc....Ironton will never get a serious look. You can take that to the bank!!
Why would Ironton not get a serious look? Very curious.
There isn't an upside for most in the league to play Ironton, in football. If the Trojans cant secure the votes, Ironton will never get a look from the smaller schools. It is only an opinion. I like the 3 division super league scenarios but I doubt that'll ever come to fruition.

Ironton
Burg
West
Jackson
Portsmouth
Minford

TigerMania
JV Team

Post by TigerMania »

FIDO wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 4:02 am
FIDO wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 11:28 pm It's silly portsmouth isn't in the league. There are some that'll play the race card and accuse the league of racism. It's probably a combination of all the things previously mentioned: old grudges, competition, etc....Ironton will never get a serious look. You can take that to the bank!!
There isn't an upside for most in the league to play Ironton, in football. If the Trojans cant secure the votes, Ironton will never get a look from the smaller schools. It is only an opinion. I like the 3 division super league scenarios but I doubt that'll ever come to fruition.

Ironton
Burg
West
Jackson
Portsmouth
Minford
Okay, I thought maybe it had something to do with the Pendletons being our coaches and most of Scioto county not liking them.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

FIDO wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 4:02 am

Ironton
Burg
West
Jackson
Portsmouth
Minford
Have to ask why on earth would Minford want anything to do with this division??

transplant
SE

Post by transplant »

I don't think Minford or Portsmouth would want anything to do with this division really. Would Waverly be a better fit?

PTrojan59
S

Post by PTrojan59 »

Yeah I’m puzzled every time I see someone suggest some sort of big or power conference with the likes of Jackson, Gallia, Burg, Ironton, so on and so forth in it and it includes Portsmouth. Portsmouth isn’t the old Portsmouth. They are closer to D6 than ever. People tend to live in the past when thinking of Portsmouth football and basketball. Imo the teams listed above on a good year Portsmouth finishes 4th in Football. Just don’t have the numbers to compete with bigger schools. Now I know Ironton & Burg aren’t significantly bigger than Portsmouth but from a Football standpoint they are. 70 kids on average for both the last 5 or so years. Almost doubles Portsmouth who typically averages 42-50 kids on the team per season. Portsmouth is one of the smaller schools in the OVC actually. If they ever leave the OVC it surely shouldn’t be for a conference with bigger schools. Been there and done that with the SEOAL. Lol

Who Dey!
wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

PTrojan59 wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 1:33 pm Yeah I’m puzzled every time I see someone suggest some sort of big or power conference with the likes of Jackson, Gallia, Burg, Ironton, so on and so forth in it and it includes Portsmouth. Portsmouth isn’t the old Portsmouth. They are closer to D6 than ever. People tend to live in the past when thinking of Portsmouth football and basketball. Imo the teams listed above on a good year Portsmouth finishes 4th in Football. Just don’t have the numbers to compete with bigger schools. Now I know Ironton & Burg aren’t significantly bigger than Portsmouth but from a Football standpoint they are. 70 kids on average for both the last 5 or so years. Almost doubles Portsmouth who typically averages 42-50 kids on the team per season. Portsmouth is one of the smaller schools in the OVC actually. If they ever leave the OVC it surely shouldn’t be for a conference with bigger schools. Been there and done that with the SEOAL. Lol
Agree. Ironton is in the same boat. Their only uptick has been football. Removing them from the ovc is silly just based on the other sports in the conference

FIDO
S

Post by FIDO »

Yeah, for certain waverly is a better fit than minford or portsmouth.

FIDO
S

Post by FIDO »

Why does Scioto county hate pendelton?

JTEK
All State

Post by JTEK »

FIDO wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 5:50 pm Why does Scioto county hate pendelton?
Who’s that?

FIDO
S

Post by FIDO »

JTEK wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 6:14 pm
Who’s that?
Who cares is the better question?

countywide35
SEOP

Post by countywide35 »

art_vandelay wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 3:28 pm
XandOs wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 3:03 pm [media][/media]

Call Ironton. I’d guarantee they would entertain the move to the SOC. I don’t think Wheelersburg would want them in though.
SOC 1
Green
East
Notre Dame
South Gallia
Manchester (football only)

SOC II
Burg
Ironton
Jackson
Portsmouth
Waverly
West

SOC III
Valley
Minford
Oak Hill
Northwest
Symmes Valley
Beaver Eastern

Will never happen but makes a lot of sense.*

Not bad…

2019 FAC Football Pick’Em Champion
JTEK
All State

Post by JTEK »

FIDO wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 6:29 pm
JTEK wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 6:14 pm
Who’s that?
Who cares is the better question?
You I guess. You asked the question

a_c_m
SEOPS H

Post by a_c_m »

PTrojan59 wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 1:33 pm Yeah I’m puzzled every time I see someone suggest some sort of big or power conference with the likes of Jackson, Gallia, Burg, Ironton, so on and so forth in it and it includes Portsmouth. Portsmouth isn’t the old Portsmouth. They are closer to D6 than ever. People tend to live in the past when thinking of Portsmouth football and basketball. Imo the teams listed above on a good year Portsmouth finishes 4th in Football. Just don’t have the numbers to compete with bigger schools. Now I know Ironton & Burg aren’t significantly bigger than Portsmouth but from a Football standpoint they are. 70 kids on average for both the last 5 or so years. Almost doubles Portsmouth who typically averages 42-50 kids on the team per season. Portsmouth is one of the smaller schools in the OVC actually. If they ever leave the OVC it surely shouldn’t be for a conference with bigger schools. Been there and done that with the SEOAL. Lol
Actually, Portsmouth is not one of the smaller schools in the OVC. South Point, Rock Hill and Coal Grove are all smaller. Portsmouth is 4th. If they were in the SOC2 they would be third behind Waverly and Burg.

PTrojan59
S

Post by PTrojan59 »

a_c_m wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 7:24 pm
Actually, Portsmouth is not one of the smaller schools in the OVC. South Point, Rock Hill and Coal Grove are all smaller. Portsmouth is 4th. If they were in the SOC2 they would be third behind Waverly and Burg.

Actually…they are. Key word was ONE, maybe you missed that? Anyways South Point is only a few kids smaller than Portsmouth with the current enrollment figures posted, that I believe will change. South Point & Rock Hill have both recently had larger numbers than Portsmouth. So yeah sitting at 4th in the OVC, in recent years would’ve been 5th or 6th, Middle of the pack if you will, but they are closer to the bottom schools in enrollment than they are to the top. I’d say they are one of the smaller schools in the conference. Same thing would be said for the SOC2 if Portsmouth were a member. They currently would sit 3rd. With West & Minford on their heels. Both schools previously mentioned had larger numbers than Portsmouth in recent years as well. Not to mention Northwest who was in the SOC2 until recently was at one point the biggest school in the county.
My point was Portsmouth being at what 170 isn’t anywhere near the size people think of when suggesting these new conferences. They would be in over their heads playing with these larger enrollment schools.
Last edited by PTrojan59 on Fri Mar 11, 2022 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Who Dey!
OVCFan1
Freshman Team

Post by OVCFan1 »

OVC-Numbers
I took the last 5 counts I could find and logged the enrollment #'s for boys....interesting to see the ebb and flow....The last ranking is from the overall average for the combined counts. Also remember that the 2020 was kept the same from 2018 due to Covid.
ovc numbers.jpg

2022-23 & 2023-24 PELIM AS OF JAN 2022 https://www.ohsaa.org/school-resources/ ... enrollment

2020-2022 & 2020-2018 FINAL OAS OF OCT 2020 https://www.ohsaa.org/School-Resources/ ... -2019-2022

2017-18 & 2018-19 FINAL AS OF OCT 2016 https://www.ohsaa.org/School-Resources/ ... -2017-2019

2015-16 & 2016-17 FINAL AS OF OCT 2014 https://www.ohsaa.org/School-Resources/ ... -2015-2017

2013-14 & 2014-15 FINAL AS OF OCT 2012 https://www.ohsaa.org/School-Resources/ ... -2013-2015

Tartanblue
SEO

Post by Tartanblue »

I have always been told that it boils down to in the past the SOC tried to get Portsmouth, but the powers that be at that time turned them down and acted as if they were to good for the conference. Times have changed however, so why not bring them in. Valley's numbers have decreased so they could move down to the SOC I in football or could try to find another small school to bring in with Portsmouth.

Westfan
SEOP

Post by Westfan »

I would think with the addition of Northwest next season that Portsmouth would make a lot of sense. Would get the SOC 2 to 8 teams and even the schedule back up so you don’t have a non conference game during your Conference Schedule

Beergogglebluez
SE

Post by Beergogglebluez »

Portsmouth will not go to the SOC. As stated they are not the Trojans of old. They used to get beat by burg, hell northwest beat them a couple years ago, waverly beats them. They were close to the verge of D6. Silly to read. They are fine in the ovc. Every year theree is 75 topics about a new conference. Travel wise it makes sense. Everywhere is close. Portsmouth basketball was destroyed by minford. I doubt they would of beat waverly, they beat burg. I like where they are now.
Last edited by Beergogglebluez on Sun Mar 13, 2022 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Operation Iraqi freedom 3. Sadr city/ eastern Baghdad 2005
goUK
Varsity

Post by goUK »

Beergogglebluez wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 9:03 am Portsmouth will not go to the SOC. As stated they are not the Trojans of old. They used to get beat by burg, hell northwest beat them a couple years ago, waverly beats them. They were close to the verge of D6. Silly to read. They are fine in the ovc. Every year this is 75 topics about a new conference. Travel wise it makes sense. Everywhere is close. Portsmouth basketball was destroyed by minford. I doubt they would of beat waverly, they beat burg. I like where they are now.
Its the same for them in the ovc i believe. Im not sure if they have won the ovc in anything in the 7 or so years they have been in. Did they win it in between the Chesapeake and Fairland basketball runs?

Return to “Football”