OHSAA Playoff Scheduling Change for 2022 and Beyond

MasterOfNone
All Conference

OHSAA Playoff Scheduling Change for 2022 and Beyond

Post by MasterOfNone »

https://www.wcpo.com/sports/high-schoo ... ?_amp=true

All divisions will play on Friday nights for the first two rounds. Seems like some coaches preferred this and of course the OHSAA said attendance was better on Friday nights. But as a fan, I don’t like it. I prefer being able to go to games both nights, so where I would be spending money for four games in two weeks, will only be going to two potentially.

What is everyone thoughts?

JTEK
All State

Re: OHSAA Playoff Scheduling Change for 2022 and Beyond

Post by JTEK »

I like it. I’m a big fan but if the buckeyes are playing Saturday night I’m staying home

carbon_dated
All State

Post by carbon_dated »

I'm all for Friday nights. I'm betting the newspapers are happier too because some Saturday games are in print until Monday.

PTrojan59
S

Post by PTrojan59 »

I like it so much better. Last year Portsmouth made the playoffs and played at Zane Trace. Ohio State played Penn State that same night, and it was Trick or Treat in town. Bit hectic. Had to make a choice on what to do.

Who Dey!
greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

Considering I try to check out different teams throughout the year I prefer having them on Friday and Saturday night so I can catch more playoff games that way. I guess I can understand them only doing it for the 1st 2 rounds as you're probably not going to come up with 2 big matchups you'd want to see at the same time until week 3 anyways. I guess all in all it's not bad but I know the playoff games I've gone to I've always seen kids and coaches from surrounding area schools there all because they don't play until the following night. Going to cut that ability out.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Must be trying to get as many officials in as many games as possible to keep them around….like SE district did with boys basketball

LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

Post by LICKING COUNTY FAN »

As a fan, I hate it because it takes games away from us/
What happens if a team with no lights who plays on Sat afternoon (Like Bellaire) makes the playoffs. Will they play on Friday afternoon or be forced to give up their earned home game?

JTEK
All State

Post by JTEK »

LICKING COUNTY FAN wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 9:44 am As a fan, I hate it because it takes games away from us/
What happens if a team with no lights who plays on Sat afternoon (Like Bellaire) makes the playoffs. Will they play on Friday afternoon or be forced to give up their earned home game?
What do they normally do when they have a scheduled Friday playoff game at home? Has that ever happened?

TigerBob
All Conference

Post by TigerBob »

I say play it Friday night. Better not rely on the passing game, especially if we are in a new moon.

LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

JTEK wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 10:56 am
LICKING COUNTY FAN wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 9:44 am As a fan, I hate it because it takes games away from us/
What do they normally do when they have a scheduled Friday playoff game at home? Has that ever happened?
Under normal circumstances, the team that plays their home games on Saturday afternoon also plays their home playoff game at the same time.

BuckeyeBlood
All Conference

Post by BuckeyeBlood »

It’s 2022 why is there still schools that don’t have lights? This is absurd to me.

JTEK
All State

Post by JTEK »

LICKING COUNTY FAN wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 11:24 am
Under normal circumstances, the team that plays their home games on Saturday afternoon also plays their home playoff game at the same time.
Not sure why they still couldn’t do that

LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

JTEK wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 12:45 pm
LICKING COUNTY FAN wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 11:24 am

Not sure why they still couldn’t do that
In the past games were played on Saturday, with the new rule it says Friday only games.

Beergogglebluez
SE

Post by Beergogglebluez »

I like Friday and Saturday. Will there be enough officials to do every playoff game in one night? And it’s 2022 watch Ohio state or whatever on your phone or DVR it. It’s fun to go check other schools out on the other playoff day.

Operation Iraqi freedom 3. Sadr city/ eastern Baghdad 2005
BuckeyeBlood
All Conference

Post by BuckeyeBlood »

Beergogglebluez wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 6:55 pm I like Friday and Saturday. Will there be enough officials to do every playoff game in one night? And it’s 2022 watch Ohio state or whatever on your phone or DVR it. It’s fun to go check other schools out on the other playoff day.
Live stream other playoff games and watch Ohio State is more like it. I remember going to several games where I recorded Ohio State and the announcers decided to announce the score, or you hear people in the crowd talking about scores or plays.

Speedy991
Waterboy

Post by Speedy991 »

In 2017 all playoffs were played on Friday. They said we didn’t have enough officials. I’m not sure what happened to the officials from the week before. Playoffs there were 64 games?? First week. Now we have double that. Not sure where the officials all go after the regular season.

RoadMan
Riding the Bench

Post by RoadMan »

OR it could be the OHSAA is giving the nod to college officials who are able to work Friday nights but not Saturday's...just food for thought.

Return to “Football”