Best offensive player you have saw in person

greygoose
SEOPS

Re: Best offensive player you have saw in person

Post by greygoose »

SPelf wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 12:11 pm
greygoose wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 11:26 pm There's a lot of different players over the years, I remember a RB Portsmouth had Akia Brown kid was UNREAL. Here recently the QB for Western Brown Drew Novak was extremely impressive and curious to see how that young mans career turns out. LB another recent player but really one of the most complete guys I've seen at the position R. Carrico.
Wasn't Akia Brown from East?
Nah that was one of his boys. Akia was probably the closest thing to pro-potential RB that I've ever seen in this area and off the field the kid gave minimal effort. It was just all natural.

art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

Jermon Jackson- Ironton
Akia Brown- Portsmouth
Tanner Holden-Wheelersburg

Jackson was only one to play P5 D1, but anyone who seen the other two play in person know Brown and Holden were D1 talents also.*

loganlocos
SEOP

Post by loganlocos »

Ironman92 wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 7:37 pm
MadeInRossCounty wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 3:59 pm Jackson folks help me out with a big fullback last name Swisher, I believe early 2000s. Any high school stats or college?
He was a physical monster.
David Swisher was a beast. BIG

I think around 1600 yards one season. Had 2 big seasons I think. Do t think he played in college but likely could have.
He was the SEOAL MVP in 2001.

My classmates at Logan that year went 10-0. Several of them went on to play in college - including one who walked on at Ohio State and became a 3-year letterwinner under Tressel.

Those guys have always remembered how tough Swisher was when we played Jackson in week 10 that year. They all talk about how it felt like hitting his thighs was like hitting tree trunks.

I believe Swisher went to Moorehead St to play football. Not sure what happened after that.

He may not have been dynamic, but he was a tougher than heck.

loganlocos
SEOP

Post by loganlocos »

A few answers for me:

1) Joe Burrow - Athens. Pick your poison - but Tri-Valley in 2013, DeSales in 2014, TCC in 2014

2) Ben Mauk - Kenton. Saw him in both his state title games. His brother may have been better (I never saw Matty in person) - but what Ben was able to do in an era before people really knew how to run the spread was amazing. At that point you just hadn't seen anyone like him.

3) Donnie Johnson - Gallipolis. His game against Logan in 2003 to win the SEOAL title is still the single best performance from one player I think I've ever seen.

4) Joey Conrad - Logan. His game against Pickerington in 2000 in the second round of the playoffs. He completed 16-18 passes for 194 yards. He completed 16-straight passes which was an OHSAA playoff record for a long time. He also ran for 59 yards and three touchdowns in the game.

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

Joe Burrow

Against Steubenville 10 time state champ
20-27 370 Yards 4 TD’s
77 yards rushing 2 TD’s

Against Desales 3 time state champ
23-29 329 Yards 5 TD’s
135 yards rushing 2 TD’s

Against Akron SVSM 6 time state champ
33-44 320 Yards

Against Toledo Central Catholic 4 time state champ
26-45 446 Yards 6 TD’s

Be a long time before Ohio produces another athlete like Burrow

SPelf
Freshman Team

Post by SPelf »

greygoose wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 11:10 pm
greygoose wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 11:26 pm There's a lot of different players over the years, I remember a RB Portsmouth had Akia Brown kid was UNREAL. Here recently the QB for Western Brown Drew Novak was extremely impressive and curious to see how that young mans career turns out. LB another recent player but really one of the most complete guys I've seen at the position R. Carrico.
Nah that was one of his boys. Akia was probably the closest thing to pro-potential RB that I've ever seen in this area and off the field the kid gave minimal effort. It was just all natural.
Showing my age lol. Had no idea.
What was the father's stats?
I know the boy from East rushed for over 1000 every year of his high school career. On like 100 carries it seemed too

MadeInRossCounty
Varsity

Post by MadeInRossCounty »

loganlocos wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 8:52 am A few answers for me:

1) Joe Burrow - Athens. Pick your poison - but Tri-Valley in 2013, DeSales in 2014, TCC in 2014

2) Ben Mauk - Kenton. Saw him in both his state title games. His brother may have been better (I never saw Matty in person) - but what Ben was able to do in an era before people really knew how to run the spread was amazing. At that point you just hadn't seen anyone like him.

3) Donnie Johnson - Gallipolis. His game against Logan in 2003 to win the SEOAL title is still the single best performance from one player I think I've ever seen.

4) Joey Conrad - Logan. His game against Pickerington in 2000 in the second round of the playoffs. He completed 16-18 passes for 194 yards. He completed 16-straight passes which was an OHSAA playoff record for a long time. He also ran for 59 yards and three touchdowns in the game.
Donnie Johnson, saw him play in high school. I remember thinking why do they have him returning kickoffs.
He took the next kickoff to the house. Lol.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

SPelf wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 5:45 pm

I know the boy from East rushed for over 1000 every year of his high school career. On like 100 carries it seemed too
Couldn't tell you what his stats were, when looking at best offensive players stats are but a small %. Akia played on Portsmouth teams that had a lot of talent but back in the day guessing Akia was 6ft to 6-1, 200 lbs or so and probably ran a legit 4.4-40 with amazing vision, just one of the best all around backs I've seen. Work with a guy who's boy played with Akia and he moved around a lot one year the school had multiple boxes full of letters from D1 schools for Akia.

SPelf
Freshman Team

Post by SPelf »

greygoose wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 11:03 pm
SPelf wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 5:45 pm

Couldn't tell you what his stats were, when looking at best offensive players stats are but a small %. Akia played on Portsmouth teams that had a lot of talent but back in the day guessing Akia was 6ft to 6-1, 200 lbs or so and probably ran a legit 4.4-40 with amazing vision, just one of the best all around backs I've seen. Work with a guy who's boy played with Akia and he moved around a lot one year the school had multiple boxes full of letters from D1 schools for Akia.
Did he play college ball?
What years did he play?

SPelf
Freshman Team

Post by SPelf »

Back in the Schankweiler days at burg (both Jordan and Brandon were phenomenal players in their own right) but in 2009 they had a back named Tyler Craigmiles. Anyone remember him? He averagesd about 10.5yd a carry that year. According to Burgs weight room top 10 lists he still stands at number 1 with a 4.35 40yd

Wings Teaford
Freshman Team

Post by Wings Teaford »

I gotta say that the teams in the 80s in Racine had some dudes who could really fill it up. I often wonder what the scoring records would look like if Jay Rees and Dale Teaford had the three point line back in their day.

Run the FB Belly and cram it up ther poop shoot!
Tom Smyth
Waterboy

Post by Tom Smyth »

Tommy Smith Jr. was a beast at Southern. One of if not the best I ever saw play. And I had a closeup viewpoint :o .

countywide35
SEOP

Post by countywide35 »

Don’t know where to begin from the list Jackson alone can put out.

So I’ll give mine through decades outside teams from Jackson

As a child. Thru the 80s. Art Achltr

90s. J Jackson Ironton

2000-2010
JoJoParker/Joey Conrad

2010-current
Joe Burrow

2019 FAC Football Pick’Em Champion
MadeInRossCounty
Varsity

Didn't see him in person, but heard Tanner Holden was unguardable for the Burg.

BuckeyeBlood
All Conference

Post by BuckeyeBlood »

JoJo Parker is the best I’ve personally seen in person.

Brownies1
Freshman Team

Post by Brownies1 »

Players not named Joe Burrow.

The Mauk brothers could absolutely sling the ball but another QB from Kenton was just as good.
Grant Sherman-QB 2 year starter after Matty Mauk graduated
121 TD thrown, 65 TD thrown SR year, 49 jr year,

Micah Hyde-Fostoria (All Ohio First team QB, Place kicker and 2nd team punter as well as 1st team DB) Kid was the definition of an Athlete.
In 2 1/2 years
549/3,443 yards/46 touchdowns.
606 out of 997 passes for 7,864 yards and 65 touchdowns.

Trae Williams-Athens(RB)
96 rushing TD’s(44 in 14’ good for 5th all time)

Zacciah Saltzman-Athens(RB/WR)
His senior yr(15) he was basically the entire offense. A few games they just snapped the ball to him every play as a wildcat QB.

hannancoach
JV Team

Post by hannancoach »

Josh Cordell. He played every position on offense, plus punted, kicked off, place kicker, holder was manager as a jr high player and sold popcorn so they say. Went to Marshall U. and started as a freshman. Probably the best player ever from the area but decided to make a family after one year playing in college.

Chilly_D_Castro
Freshman Team

Post by Chilly_D_Castro »

Jermon Jackson
Randy Moss
Bobby Howard
Yubrenal Isabel
Joe Jerivicous
Jo Jo Parker
Michael Parker
Ahmad Bradshaw

I use to play pickup hoops with Bradshaw and Moss. Athletic doesnt even begin to touch their ability at the time.

MadeInRossCounty
Varsity

Chilly_D_Castro wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 6:17 pm Jermon Jackson
Randy Moss
Bobby Howard
Yubrenal Isabel
Joe Jerivicous
Jo Jo Parker
Michael Parker
Ahmad Bradshaw

I use to play pickup hoops with Bradshaw and Moss. Athletic doesnt even begin to touch their ability at the time.
Major jealous.
Highlights of Moss in high school playing basketball look like he could have easily played in NBA. Also, heard he was a dang good baseball player.

Chilly_D_Castro
Freshman Team

Post by Chilly_D_Castro »

MadeInRossCounty wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 7:47 pm
Chilly_D_Castro wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 6:17 pm Jermon Jackson
Randy Moss
Bobby Howard
Yubrenal Isabel
Joe Jerivicous
Jo Jo Parker
Michael Parker
Ahmad Bradshaw

Major jealous.
Highlights of Moss in high school playing basketball look like he could have easily played in NBA. Also, heard he was a dang good baseball player.
All of those Rand U boys could ball. Tough humble kids.
Last edited by Chilly_D_Castro on Thu Apr 14, 2022 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Football”