Are transfers ok?

wobycat
SEOPS

Are transfers ok?

Post by wobycat »

I thought since threads get polluted with this topic, might be ideal to start a thread about it here instead of littered throughout.

Most know on here that Im 100% against transferring from one high school to another. And this is solely on moving for teams to load up regardless of what promises are made.

If it’s for circumstances that aren’t athletic related, that’s a different topic.

I believe it leaves one team high and dry with a void while taking minutes from another kid at the new school. Also, the ohsaa says that if a student transfers from one school to another during high school, that student is ineligible for the 2nd part of the season. Now let’s be adults here and know this rule is being broken or stretched with the whole “apartment”

Let’s also acknowledge that multiple teams have done it.

With that said, do you agree that the current system is fine or does it need to be fixed or perhaps no restrictions?

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Re: Are transfers ok?

Post by Orange and Brown »

I don't really mind kids transferring. Kids transer for a variety of reasons and lately it has gotten a bit insane but it is what it is.
We've lost a few and gained a few over the years.

Championship's are won in the off-season
BUCKEYE PRIDE!
Ed Gennero
JV Team

Post by Ed Gennero »

People love transfers when they help their team , they hate them when they leave or help rival teams. End of story

Chilly_D_Castro
Freshman Team

Post by Chilly_D_Castro »

wobycat wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 10:17 pm I thought since threads get polluted with this topic, might be ideal to start a thread about it here instead of littered throughout.

Most know on here that Im 100% against transferring from one high school to another. And this is solely on moving for teams to load up regardless of what promises are made.

If it’s for circumstances that aren’t athletic related, that’s a different topic.

I believe it leaves one team high and dry with a void while taking minutes from another kid at the new school. Also, the ohsaa says that if a student transfers from one school to another during high school, that student is ineligible for the 2nd part of the season. Now let’s be adults here and know this rule is being broken or stretched with the whole “apartment”

Let’s also acknowledge that multiple teams have done it.

With that said, do you agree that the current system is fine or does it need to be fixed or perhaps no restrictions?
1000000% an advocate of "transfers", nil deals, and ANYTHING that prioritizes and maximizes a kids opportunity waaaay ahead of our comfort level(s).

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

I honestly have no issues with transfers, why should a money making machine like OHSAA be the able to control what a 15-18 year old kid mind you is doing in terms of what school he's going to?? The argument of loading up a team is such a weak argument, private schools can recruit and reload teams they can bring in kids mid-season to help them win yet a public school can't have a kid or 2 transfer in?? Since this is football I'll keep it to only football discussion but what team was "loaded" and just decimated all opponents and went on to win state from the SEO area?? None

The idea of being totally against transfers is so archaic to be honest, there's schools out there that get transfers but because people say well they came over in Junior High though. So what they still transferred and they transferred for the same reasons they are in HS only they're doing it in JH so the transfer rules don't apply. If these kids feel they'd benefit from going from one school to another then have it they have to know they've got to earn that spot and if they're taking time away from another player shouldn't that player have beat them out?? With so many outside sources for training, social media, AAU teams, there's just a lot more kids with connections to others from different schools.

If schools don't want to lose players, then be better, offer more these kids aren't blind to what teams are doing what. The idea that a school is recruiting is a stretch because these players and parents see what this school or that school has and what they're doing. If you attend school X and you're 20 minutes away from say Marion Local Stein do you really think that MLS needs to recruit that player?? Tanner Holden just transferred from Wright State is he wrong for that since he left them high and dry or is he in the right because he's trying to better himself at a more prominent school? They're kids they've got their whole lives to be bossed around and told what to do playing a sport they love and having the ability to do that for only a short period of time shouldn't be controlled by adults gaining money from these kids. Nor should they be looked down on or scoffed at from adults that are mad because they lost a kid or because they didn't gain a player.
Last edited by greygoose on Sat Apr 16, 2022 12:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

I just wish the vast majority would understand what their kids’ abilities are and if it’s to play for a better program with their off-season travel team buddies, that’s fine but hopefully academics are as important for those as well.

I don’t mind transfers but when they just come for a season and then go back to graduate or whatever I think that’s really silly. As a Jackson person we’ve had many come for football but have lost a ton of talent for basketball. I just want the transfer family to be a part of the community, wear the Jackson gear and cheer for all kids, not just theirs. The vast majority have.

My kids would never leave for sports.
Last edited by Ironman92 on Sat Apr 16, 2022 10:35 am, edited 2 times in total.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

greygoose wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 12:13 am I honestly have no issues with transfers, why should a money making machine like OHSAA be the able to control what a 15-18 year old kid mind you is doing in terms of what school he's going to?? The argument of loading up a team is such a weak argument, private schools can recruit and reload teams they can bring in kids mid-season to help them win yet a public school can't have a kid or 2 transfer in?? Since this is football I'll keep it to only football discussion but what team was "loaded" and just decimated all opponents and went on to win state from the SEO area?? None

The idea of being totally against transfers is so archaic to be honest, there's schools out there that get transfers but because people say well they came over in Junior High though. So what they still transferred and they transferred for the same reasons they are in HS only they're doing it in JH so the transfer rules don't apply. If these kids feel they'd benefit from going from one school to another then have it they have to know they've got to earn that spot and if they're taking time away from another player shouldn't that player have beat them out?? With so many outside sources for training, social media, AAU teams, there's just a lot more kids with connections to others from different schools.

If schools don't want to lose players, then be better, offer more these kids aren't blind to what teams are doing what. The idea that a school is recruiting is a stretch because these players and parents see what this school or that school has and what they're doing. If you attend school X and you're 20 minutes away from say Marion Local Stein do you really think that MLS needs to recruit that player?? Tanner Holden just transferred from Wright State is he wrong for that since he left them high and dry or is he in the right because he's trying to better himself at a more prominent school? They're kids they've got their whole lives to be bossed around and told what to do playing a sport they love and having the ability to do that for only a short period of time shouldn't be controlled by adults gaining money from these kids.
Holden has a chance to make a living in his sport….I’d guess the % of others are closer to 100% than 99%

Again, I don’t care but I do disagree with most of the reasons.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

Ironman92 wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 12:17 am
greygoose wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 12:13 am I honestly have no issues with transfers, why should a money making machine like OHSAA be the able to control what a 15-18 year old kid mind you is doing in terms of what school he's going to?? The argument of loading up a team is such a weak argument, private schools can recruit and reload teams they can bring in kids mid-season to help them win yet a public school can't have a kid or 2 transfer in?? Since this is football I'll keep it to only football discussion but what team was "loaded" and just decimated all opponents and went on to win state from the SEO area?? None

If schools don't want to lose players, then be better, offer more these kids aren't blind to what teams are doing what. The idea that a school is recruiting is a stretch because these players and parents see what this school or that school has and what they're doing. If you attend school X and you're 20 minutes away from say Marion Local Stein do you really think that MLS needs to recruit that player?? Tanner Holden just transferred from Wright State is he wrong for that since he left them high and dry or is he in the right because he's trying to better himself at a more prominent school? They're kids they've got their whole lives to be bossed around and told what to do playing a sport they love and having the ability to do that for only a short period of time shouldn't be controlled by adults gaining money from these kids.
Holden has a chance to make a living in his sport….I’d guess the % of others are closer to 100% than 99%

Possibly but his reasoning for transferring doesn't outweigh another players reasoning is what I'm getting at. If a kid sees that school X is getting a lot more players looked at by colleges wouldn't that possibly benefit them long term?? Same principal behind it just different age groups, each is trying to benefit themselves and in the end that's why I really don't have a problem with transfers.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

greygoose wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 12:23 am
Ironman92 wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 12:17 am

Possibly but his reasoning for transferring doesn't outweigh another players reasoning is what I'm getting at. If a kid sees that school X is getting a lot more players looked at by colleges wouldn't that possibly benefit them long term?? Same principal behind it just different age groups, each is trying to benefit themselves and in the end that's why I really don't have a problem with transfers.
I put transferring 100% on the parents. It’s their call. I know a tremendous amount of other factors, but it’s the parent’s call.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

Very surprised by the answers. Looks like the trend is heading towards a high school portal.

If it comes to that, it will be a sad day. High school coaches will now feel the pressure of a revolving door of student athletes and we will see a huge diminish in high quality coaches and in player rosters.

Those who are ok with a portal, will be highly disappointed in a few years, especially in our area. We can’t compete with city teams if this gets a green light. All we will have is a rinse and repeat of a few chest pounding local teams who will beat the death out of the locals, while eventually getting beat at state level.

Howard Cosell
All Conference

Post by Howard Cosell »

I think transfer rules should be tighter but looser. This will only create a greater stratification of teams. It will definitely create a system of haves and have nots. This ain’t college. People have mentioned that this would allow athletes to play with their friends from their travel team but what about playing on the same team as your classmates from school? Most SEO schools are too far apart to really allow our corner of the state to benefit from a transfer portal. So that would pretty much end Cinderella stories like we have seen with Trimble and Athens.

This is Howard Cosell. Tellin' it like it is!
Howard Cosell
All Conference

Post by Howard Cosell »

Tighter not looser

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

The issue of transfers is actually a very old tale, going back for decades. It's just in today's social media frenzy that it's now an issue that is much more publicized rather than it being an underground operation. It's not going to go away, nor should it. Parents can transfer their kids for whatever reason, whether it be for sports, academics, or other extracurricular activities. Remember that the great majority of kids don't transfer, so it's not like any particular school is experiencing a mass exodus of its athletes.

I've witnessed it myself at Portsmouth......we have lost kids, and gained some kids because of transferring. Probably at least 95% of the best athletes at Portsmouth HS stay at PHS, and that percentage is most likely similar to about all schools. It's that 5% or less that cause a lot of commotion and heartburn among disgruntled fans, social media addicts, and rival communities.

Ed Gennero
JV Team

Post by Ed Gennero »

wobycat wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 8:38 am Very surprised by the answers. Looks like the trend is heading towards a high school portal.

If it comes to that, it will be a sad day. High school coaches will now feel the pressure of a revolving door of student athletes and we will see a huge diminish in high quality coaches and in player rosters.

Those who are ok with a portal, will be highly disappointed in a few years, especially in our area. We can’t compete with city teams if this gets a green light. All we will have is a rinse and repeat of a few chest pounding local teams who will beat the death out of the locals, while eventually getting beat at state level.
I just don’t understand why you despise transfers so much , most of your posts are directed at transfers especially when it involves Ironton, OK I get that they’re a big rivalry of Wheelersburg but Wheelersburg has gotten transfers for years and I don’t think I’ve ever seen you post about how wrong it is when a player comes to Wheelersburg.

Howard Cosell
All Conference

Post by Howard Cosell »

trojandave wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 11:17 am The issue of transfers is actually a very old tale, going back for decades. It's just in today's social media frenzy that it's now an issue that is much more publicized rather than it being an underground operation. It's not going to go away, nor should it. Parents can transfer their kids for whatever reason, whether it be for sports, academics, or other extracurricular activities. Remember that the great majority of kids don't transfer, so it's not like any particular school is experiencing a mass exodus of its athletes.

I've witnessed it myself at Portsmouth......we have lost kids, and gained some kids because of transferring. Probably at least 95% of the best athletes at Portsmouth HS stay at PHS, and that percentage is most likely similar to about all schools. It's that 5% or less that cause a lot of commotion and heartburn among disgruntled fans, social media addicts, and rival communities.
These are good points trojandave
I really think this is a bigger issue for areas with at least a little population density
Even if they tried I doubt Miller is getting a significant upgrade in talent from Lancaster and it’s not likely a kid from Miller will really help the Golden Grail.

enigmaax
All State

Post by enigmaax »

No need for a portal. The solution is as simple as minding our own business and letting families make choices based on their own priorities. It isn’t up to anyone else - OHSAA included - to validate someone’s reason for putting their kid in the situation they feel is best. For academics, to win, to play with friends, to get more playing time; doesn’t matter. It’s a short window in a person’s life to enjoy.

Geronimo
SEOP

Post by Geronimo »

One high school career nothing against transfers !!!like to see a southeastern Ohio team win the state!!!

SWHITE2002
JV Team

Post by SWHITE2002 »

There are no good answers here. What you are seeing is the final few years of the OHSAA. I think we’ll be club teams in 10 years or less and probably should be. They have lost control.

Wheelersburg being upset about transfers is comical. Most of the better players at Wheelersburg are transplant families with the whole purpose of their kids playing at Wheelersburg. No matter if they moved in at 7th grade or before birth.

Ironton is getting better because of it. It is hurting kids who live at Ironton and get recruited over. They get to be a tackling dummy on a team that wins, but they won’t see meaningful minutes on the field. If they can live with that fine. If they can’t the world is at their fingertips

522Pirate
Varsity

Post by 522Pirate »

I don’t understand the negativity towards transfers either…you can choose everything else about your life why not where your kids go to school? If I had to only eat at Burg restaurants, or work at jobs in Burg, etc. etc. I wouldn’t be very happy about that.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

522Pirate wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 1:37 pm I don’t understand the negativity towards transfers either…you can choose everything else about your life why not where your kids go to school? If I had to only eat at Burg restaurants, or work at jobs in Burg, etc. etc. I wouldn’t be very happy about that.
What constitutes a kid leaving? Not enough carries? Can’t stand the coach? Chance to win state championship?

Return to “Football”