Varsity

Re: Are transfers ok?

Post by 522Pirate »

I would guess the decision reached by the kid and his/her parents

TigerBob
All Conference

Post by TigerBob »

I remember a few years back a kid transferred from Ironton to Wheelersburg. Didn’t sit out any games. Don’t know his living situation that year, but do know his and dad’s cars were at their house in Ironton a lot that year.

If the Wheelersburg people complaining now can surface some posts from back then showing how worried they were about transfers, much respect. If you can’t, then I’d advise to just enjoy the games and not worry about things outside of your control.

Chilly_D_Castro
Freshman Team

Post by Chilly_D_Castro »

trojandave wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 11:17 am The issue of transfers is actually a very old tale, going back for decades. It's just in today's social media frenzy that it's now an issue that is much more publicized rather than it being an underground operation. It's not going to go away, nor should it. Parents can transfer their kids for whatever reason, whether it be for sports, academics, or other extracurricular activities. Remember that the great majority of kids don't transfer, so it's not like any particular school is experiencing a mass exodus of its athletes.

I've witnessed it myself at Portsmouth......we have lost kids, and gained some kids because of transferring. Probably at least 95% of the best athletes at Portsmouth HS stay at PHS, and that percentage is most likely similar to about all schools. It's that 5% or less that cause a lot of commotion and heartburn among disgruntled fans, social media addicts, and rival communities.
🎯 THIS. THIS is the post.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

enigmaax wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 11:48 am No need for a portal. The solution is as simple as minding our own business and letting families make choices based on their own priorities. It isn’t up to anyone else - OHSAA included - to validate someone’s reason for putting their kid in the situation they feel is best. For academics, to win, to play with friends, to get more playing time; doesn’t matter. It’s a short window in a person’s life to enjoy.
BINGO.........I approve this message :D

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

wobycat wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 8:38 am Very surprised by the answers. Looks like the trend is heading towards a high school portal.

If it comes to that, it will be a sad day. High school coaches will now feel the pressure of a revolving door of student athletes and we will see a huge diminish in high quality coaches and in player rosters.

Those who are ok with a portal, will be highly disappointed in a few years, especially in our area. We can’t compete with city teams if this gets a green light. All we will have is a rinse and repeat of a few chest pounding local teams who will beat the death out of the locals, while eventually getting beat at state level.
Why would anyone ok with the portal be disappointed?? That's just an off the wall opinion you're throwing out there, can't compete with city teams?? Are SEO teams competing with them now?? No. We're so spread out the idea of even trying to load a team to compete with those city teams is crazy. If we're not competing with them now what makes the idea of transfers making it worse if anything it could possibly help, it's not like our local talent is heading to Columbus.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

trojandave wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 11:17 am The issue of transfers is actually a very old tale, going back for decades. It's just in today's social media frenzy that it's now an issue that is much more publicized rather than it being an underground operation. It's not going to go away, nor should it. Parents can transfer their kids for whatever reason, whether it be for sports, academics, or other extracurricular activities. Remember that the great majority of kids don't transfer, so it's not like any particular school is experiencing a mass exodus of its athletes.

I've witnessed it myself at Portsmouth......we have lost kids, and gained some kids because of transferring. Probably at least 95% of the best athletes at Portsmouth HS stay at PHS, and that percentage is most likely similar to about all schools. It's that 5% or less that cause a lot of commotion and heartburn among disgruntled fans, social media addicts, and rival communities.
Good post and 100% correct.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

wobycat wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 2:44 pm
522Pirate wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 1:37 pm I don’t understand the negativity towards transfers either…you can choose everything else about your life why not where your kids go to school? If I had to only eat at Burg restaurants, or work at jobs in Burg, etc. etc. I wouldn’t be very happy about that.
What constitutes a kid leaving? Not enough carries? Can’t stand the coach? Chance to win state championship?
That's kind of the point you're missing in all of this, there doesn't have to be a reason. Neither the kid nor has family has to justify making a decision in their household, only people on the outside looking in feel they're entitled to a reason. Facts are it's their life, it's their choice the reasoning behind is only there to make others feel better or try to understand but they need no justification to the outside world.

MadeInRossCounty
Varsity

Post by MadeInRossCounty »

IMO, high school has been trending more like College when it comes to transfers, and other areas. There is only one right choice here, and that is get with the times and go with the flow.
Get on the train or get run over.
If you want kids to be loyal to their school they start with, do it when they first get started going to school.
If you want your kids to have a better opportunity, how can you not do that as well?

TheFlyingDutchman
JV Team

Post by TheFlyingDutchman »

The last few years I passed mail in Ironton I had a girl who played softball at the Burg. A girl who played softball at SV. A girl who cheered at SV. A boy who played football at Raceland. A boy who played basketball at CG. A boy who played baseball at RH and non Catholics who played at ISJ. So it happens everywhere nowadays

TheFlyingDutchman
JV Team

Post by TheFlyingDutchman »

The last few years I passed mail in Ironton I had a girl who played softball at the Burg. A girl who played softball at SV. A girl who cheered at SV. A boy who played football at Raceland. A boy who played basketball at CG. A boy who played baseball at RH and non Catholics who played at ISJ. So it happens everywhere nowadays

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

TheFlyingDutchman wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 7:57 pm The last few years I passed mail in Ironton I had a girl who played softball at the Burg. A girl who played softball at SV. A girl who cheered at SV. A boy who played football at Raceland. A boy who played basketball at CG. A boy who played baseball at RH and non Catholics who played at ISJ. So it happens everywhere nowadays
If you deliver to the Ironton CVS by Food Lion….tell the little red headed pharmacist hi, but don’t be creepy 😁

FIDO
S

Post by FIDO »

I don't like transfers for the sole purpose of athletics. I don't lose a bit of sleep over it either. If you feel a team is loading up, and presents an unfair advantage, don't schedule them.

PTrojan59
S

Post by PTrojan59 »

Transfers are just another part of today’s sports. I think a lot of people who aren’t in favor of them are stuck in the past. Old heads if you will. If you can better yourself by transferring then why wouldn’t you do it? Would you turn down a promotion at work if offered and it was seen as an upgrade? No reason not to put yourself in a better situation for the future. Maybe that’s athletics, maybe it’s academic, or maybe it’s just socially. Getting out of a situation for a better one is okay. It might not seem fair, but if done by the book then it’s completely fine. Make your athletic or academic programs shine more and kids will come. I think both Burg & Ironton are good examples of this. I wouldn’t be mad at all to see Portsmouth in a position like those 2 schools. Give them all the heat online you want, at the end of the season both will be right there as a couple of the top dogs in southern Ohio.

Who Dey!
wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

greygoose wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 7:23 pm
wobycat wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 8:38 am Very surprised by the answers. Looks like the trend is heading towards a high school portal.

If it comes to that, it will be a sad day. High school coaches will now feel the pressure of a revolving door of student athletes and we will see a huge diminish in high quality coaches and in player rosters.

Those who are ok with a portal, will be highly disappointed in a few years, especially in our area. We can’t compete with city teams if this gets a green light. All we will have is a rinse and repeat of a few chest pounding local teams who will beat the death out of the locals, while eventually getting beat at state level.
Why would anyone ok with the portal be disappointed?? That's just an off the wall opinion you're throwing out there, can't compete with city teams?? Are SEO teams competing with them now?? No. We're so spread out the idea of even trying to load a team to compete with those city teams is crazy. If we're not competing with them now what makes the idea of transfers making it worse if anything it could possibly help, it's not like our local talent is heading to Columbus.
It’s difficult for sure but opening up a transfer portal will weaken our area not strengthen it.

Do you think it’s ok for a student to transfer more than once in school?

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

greygoose wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 7:19 pm
enigmaax wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 11:48 am No need for a portal. The solution is as simple as minding our own business and letting families make choices based on their own priorities. It isn’t up to anyone else - OHSAA included - to validate someone’s reason for putting their kid in the situation they feel is best. For academics, to win, to play with friends, to get more playing time; doesn’t matter. It’s a short window in a person’s life to enjoy.
BINGO.........I approve this message :D
Then why does the ohsaa sanction rules on transferring? Why do they care whether the student lives in district? Or use competitive balance? Why don’t they just mind their own business?

You just can’t assume that everyone is making the right decisions for the student. Since ohsaa crowns the champion, why wouldn’t they have their own rules?

wrestlefan
JV Team

Post by wrestlefan »

wobycat wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 10:17 pm I thought since threads get polluted with this topic, might be ideal to start a thread about it here instead of littered throughout.

Most know on here that Im 100% against transferring from one high school to another. And this is solely on moving for teams to load up regardless of what promises are made.

If it’s for circumstances that aren’t athletic related, that’s a different topic.

I believe it leaves one team high and dry with a void while taking minutes from another kid at the new school. Also, the ohsaa says that if a student transfers from one school to another during high school, that student is ineligible for the 2nd part of the season. Now let’s be adults here and know this rule is being broken or stretched with the whole “apartment”

Let’s also acknowledge that multiple teams have done it.

With that said, do you agree that the current system is fine or does it need to be fixed or perhaps no restrictions?
My son trains in his sport 10 months a year. The head coach of his sport does absolutely nothing in the offseason. Zero! The head coach didn't even play the sport he coaches. Do I put my son in that program amd just say deal with it son? Sorry you will never be pushed amd developed by your head coach. OR do I transfer him to a program where the coach outs his time in too?

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

wrestlefan wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 1:31 pm
wobycat wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 10:17 pm I thought since threads get polluted with this topic, might be ideal to start a thread about it here instead of littered throughout.

Most know on here that Im 100% against transferring from one high school to another. And this is solely on moving for teams to load up regardless of what promises are made.

If it’s for circumstances that aren’t athletic related, that’s a different topic.

I believe it leaves one team high and dry with a void while taking minutes from another kid at the new school. Also, the ohsaa says that if a student transfers from one school to another during high school, that student is ineligible for the 2nd part of the season. Now let’s be adults here and know this rule is being broken or stretched with the whole “apartment”

Let’s also acknowledge that multiple teams have done it.

With that said, do you agree that the current system is fine or does it need to be fixed or perhaps no restrictions?
My son trains in his sport 10 months a year. The head coach of his sport does absolutely nothing in the offseason. Zero! The head coach didn't even play the sport he coaches. Do I put my son in that program amd just say deal with it son? Sorry you will never be pushed amd developed by your head coach. OR do I transfer him to a program where the coach outs his time in too?
Thank you for replying with a normal response and a good thought. Do you believe that the Ohsaa has the correct rules in place for a transfer? Or do you think the athlete should be allowed to have immediate eligibility without restrictions?

Chilly_D_Castro
Freshman Team

Post by Chilly_D_Castro »

MadeInRossCounty wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 7:38 pm IMO, high school has been trending more like College when it comes to transfers, and other areas. There is only one right choice here, and that is get with the times and go with the flow.
If you want kids to be loyal to their school they start with, do it when they first get started going to school.
If you want your kids to have a better opportunity, how can you not do that as well?
The idea of "loyalty" to anything and the irony attached to that sentiment in southern ohio is hilarious to me. Southern ohioans will ABANDONED mom & pop businesses in their OWN communities if they can drive to wv or kentucky and buy it for a nickel less. 🤣 Loyalty? Southern ohio? Lmao. Yea ok.

Ed Gennero
JV Team

Post by Ed Gennero »

Chilly_D_Castro wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 4:10 pm
MadeInRossCounty wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 7:38 pm IMO, high school has been trending more like College when it comes to transfers, and other areas. There is only one right choice here, and that is get with the times and go with the flow.
The idea of "loyalty" to anything and the irony attached to that sentiment in southern ohio is hilarious to me. Southern ohioans will ABANDONED mom & pop businesses in their OWN communities if they can drive to wv or kentucky and buy it for a nickel less. 🤣 Loyalty? Southern ohio? Lmao. Yea ok.
SpeedKills you are correct!

Beergogglebluez
SE

Post by Beergogglebluez »

Social media, travel sports have made transfers more common. Say a kid from Portsmouth becomes friends with a kid in Ashland they talk how good whatever team can be If they come and now let’s talk to Johnny and jimmy and have them join. There are super teams in the NBA, college transfer portal has went crazy, so high school kids wanna do the same thing. I’m a Portsmouth fan but I don’t care what these kids do. It’s what makes them happy, we watch them on Friday’s or whatever day they play. I’ll take every transfer that wants to come to Portsmouth lol. I’ll take those one and dones as well.

Operation Iraqi freedom 3. Sadr city/ eastern Baghdad 2005

Return to “Football”