Re: Are transfers ok?

Post by Ironman92 »

Some kids transfer for greener pastures…..what if everyone did that? 😁

MadeInRossCounty
Varsity

Post by MadeInRossCounty »

Chilly_D_Castro wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 4:10 pm
MadeInRossCounty wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 7:38 pm IMO, high school has been trending more like College when it comes to transfers, and other areas. There is only one right choice here, and that is get with the times and go with the flow.
Get on the train or get run over.
If you want kids to be loyal to their school they start with, do it when they first get started going to school.
If you want your kids to have a better opportunity, how can you not do that as well?
The idea of "loyalty" to anything and the irony attached to that sentiment in southern ohio is hilarious to me. Southern ohioans will ABANDONED mom & pop businesses in their OWN communities if they can drive to wv or kentucky and buy it for a nickel less. 🤣 Loyalty? Southern ohio? Lmao. Yea ok.
Exactly. Think about our society.
People switch partners, people switch churches, people switch jobs, people switch in whatever, in their lives all the time. Why do we not think their kids won't or shouldn't switch schools?
Really? 🤷‍♂️

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

wobycat wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 1:05 pm
greygoose wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 7:23 pm
wobycat wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 8:38 am Very surprised by the answers. Looks like the trend is heading towards a high school portal.

If it comes to that, it will be a sad day. High school coaches will now feel the pressure of a revolving door of student athletes and we will see a huge diminish in high quality coaches and in player rosters.

Those who are ok with a portal, will be highly disappointed in a few years, especially in our area. We can’t compete with city teams if this gets a green light. All we will have is a rinse and repeat of a few chest pounding local teams who will beat the death out of the locals, while eventually getting beat at state level.
Why would anyone ok with the portal be disappointed?? That's just an off the wall opinion you're throwing out there, can't compete with city teams?? Are SEO teams competing with them now?? No. We're so spread out the idea of even trying to load a team to compete with those city teams is crazy. If we're not competing with them now what makes the idea of transfers making it worse if anything it could possibly help, it's not like our local talent is heading to Columbus.
It’s difficult for sure but opening up a transfer portal will weaken our area not strengthen it.

Do you think it’s ok for a student to transfer more than once in school?
The idea of transfers as some have pointed out isn't a new concept, I do have to ask why would it weaken our area and not strengthen it?? Both Burg and now Ironton have and are benefitting from transfers haven't those 2 been sort of the teams carrying the crown for SEO in terms of going against NEO teams?? Just like when people talked about the Northwest boy transferring to Ironton, was he really going to change the overall outlook for Northwest football?? Nah once they move back to SOC2 play they'll be that same 4-5 win team every year and finishing middle to bottom of the conference.

I have no problem with them transferring more than once, the only hiccup that I feel would need controlled would be during the season stuff. Basically start a season at a school finish the season at a school unless there's a major reason for the move and that move would need to be approved, I just wouldn't want to see kids jumping ship mid-season or towards the end of the season.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

I’m surprised no kid transfers to Jackson for band.

Or when high end academic kids leave a school with the high end AP classes greatly prepping them for a potentially successful college experience but leave to go to a school with far less of those qualities.

Any parents looking at area schools for their college prep abilities and rates? I know this is a high school sports site (as my 50,000 posts would show) but I can’t help not call out the #1 reason for school. Sports may be the most fun aspect of school (they sure were for me)

Transferring is best for some kids/athletes/situations. Staying is best for many others. I root for kids, I want every decision to work out. I do however see far too many high school sports stars go on to struggle too much in everyday life once the sports are over, be it 18, 19, 20, 21, 22 or 23. I want the overall best for each kid, but I feel many families lose sight of the big picture and if Dad was a 6.5 out of 10 athletically and married a 5.5…….I wish they’d realize their kid isn’t going to be a 9.5, no matter the training hours and $$$ spent.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

wobycat wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 1:07 pm
greygoose wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 7:19 pm
enigmaax wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 11:48 am No need for a portal. The solution is as simple as minding our own business and letting families make choices based on their own priorities. It isn’t up to anyone else - OHSAA included - to validate someone’s reason for putting their kid in the situation they feel is best. For academics, to win, to play with friends, to get more playing time; doesn’t matter. It’s a short window in a person’s life to enjoy.
BINGO.........I approve this message :D
Then why does the ohsaa sanction rules on transferring? Why do they care whether the student lives in district? Or use competitive balance? Why don’t they just mind their own business?

You just can’t assume that everyone is making the right decisions for the student. Since ohsaa crowns the champion, why wouldn’t they have their own rules?
OHSAA "sanctions" rules correct but I believe everyone can see they really don't give a crap it's kind of like the rules are a guideline, this way it looks like they're doing something other than just taking money. I mean if they're not going to separate public and private schools come playoff time then they're not going to worry about a team that got in 2 or 3 transfer kids in for that year that's why they started the CB as a way to say this is how much we care and what we'll do about it.
Last edited by greygoose on Sun Apr 17, 2022 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MadeInRossCounty
Varsity

Post by MadeInRossCounty »

Ironman92 wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 8:08 pm I’m surprised no kid transfers to Jackson for band.

Or when high end academic kids leave a school with the high end AP classes greatly prepping them for a potentially successful college experience but leave to go to a school with far less of those qualities.

Any parents looking at area schools for their college prep abilities and rates? I know this is a high school sports site (as my 50,000 posts would show) but I can’t help not call out the #1 reason for school. Sports may be the most fun aspect of school (they sure were for me)

Transferring is best for some kids/athletes/situations. Staying is best for many others. I root for kids, I want every decision to work out. I do however see far too many high school sports stars go on to struggle too much in everyday life once the sports are over, be it 18, 19, 20, 21, 22 or 23. I want the overall best for each kid, but I feel many families lose sight of the big picture and if Dad was a 6.5 out of 10 athletically and married a 5.5…….I wish they’d realize their kid isn’t going to be a 9.5, no matter the training hours and $$$ spent.
Not always. I've saw a lot of parents who never even played sports, and they had a son or daughter who was better at sports than that athlete who had parents who did play and were really good.
I guess you never know.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

MadeInRossCounty wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 9:11 pm
Ironman92 wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 8:08 pm I’m surprised no kid transfers to Jackson for band.

Not always. I've saw a lot of parents who never even played sports, and they had a son or daughter who was better at sports than that athlete who had parents who did play and were really good.
I guess you never know.
Nothing is “always”…..but genetics are strong. Just because neither parents played sports doesn’t mean they didn’t have certain abilities.

I’d guess 95% of high school athletes are within 1 of the range between mom/dad. For example…..Dad was a 7 as an athlete on the scale of 1-10 and mom was a 6…..given the normal practice time I bet that kid will be between a 5 and an 8. Best bet is finding their true talent snd loving what it takes to improve on it….around here hopefully it’s football, basketball or baseball. Tons of factors in all of this, fortunately we have 4u teams to prep kids for greatness.

Chilly_D_Castro
Freshman Team

Post by Chilly_D_Castro »

MadeInRossCounty wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 6:34 pm
Chilly_D_Castro wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 4:10 pm
MadeInRossCounty wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 7:38 pm IMO, high school has been trending more like College when it comes to transfers, and other areas. There is only one right choice here, and that is get with the times and go with the flow.
Get on the train or get run over.
If you want kids to be loyal to their school they start with, do it when they first get started going to school.
If you want your kids to have a better opportunity, how can you not do that as well?
The idea of "loyalty" to anything and the irony attached to that sentiment in southern ohio is hilarious to me. Southern ohioans will ABANDONED mom & pop businesses in their OWN communities if they can drive to wv or kentucky and buy it for a nickel less. 🤣 Loyalty? Southern ohio? Lmao. Yea ok.
Exactly. Think about our society.
People switch partners, people switch churches, people switch jobs, people switch in whatever, in their lives all the time. Why do we not think their kids won't or shouldn't switch schools?
Really? 🤷‍♂️
Yup. Exactly. That idea of "loyalty" is just a projection of an old perception of the past for those who romanticize the past & don't realize the snapshot of the past they hold onto is more perception than how it actually was. It never existed.

Chilly_D_Castro
Freshman Team

Ironman92 wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 5:48 pm Some kids transfer for greener pastures…..what if everyone did that? 😁
They do.

Jobs
Relatiomships
Schools
Zip codes
Cars
Friends
Houses
Grocery stores
Favorite diner
Music taste
Dating preferences....
Etc etc etc.

That's life.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Chilly_D_Castro wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 11:38 pm
Ironman92 wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 5:48 pm Some kids transfer for greener pastures…..what if everyone did that? 😁
They do.

Jobs
Relatiomships
Schools
Zip codes
Cars
Friends
Houses
Grocery stores
Favorite diner
Music taste
Dating preferences....
Etc etc etc.

That's life.
What if every Scioto Co kid went to Wheelersburg….the greenest of pastures? What if every Ross Co kid transferred to Unioto? The majority stay. We aren’t talking about adults…switching school for sports and dad taking a better job aren’t greatly comparable. Dad trying to earn better to better help the family….kid going for a better program and team, more enjoyable and maybe a better chance to play in college, earn scholly.

Mom and Dad are in charge of the kid. How far do we go with it? Billy in 3rd grade and gets picked for the lesser team at recess…..wants to be with his friends on the other team.

I get the high end athlete that has greatly committed and they are in a program that is weak at the top and program very lackluster. Personally, I say and be a part of the answer BUT I have no issue if those kids leave. Just like staying, sometimes it works out and sometimes it doesn’t. As it’s been stated….it’s the decision to what’s best for the kid and the parents and they must decide. But I do think too much emphasis is put into sports and the best decision isn’t made often enough.

Chilly_D_Castro
Freshman Team

Ironman92 wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 12:14 am
They do.

Jobs
Relatiomships
Schools
Zip codes
Cars
Friends
Houses
Grocery stores
Favorite diner
Music taste
Dating preferences....
Etc etc etc.

That's life.
What if every Scioto Co kid went to Wheelersburg….the greenest of pastures? What if every Ross Co kid transferred to Unioto? The majority stay. We aren’t talking about adults…switching school for sports and dad taking a better job aren’t greatly comparable. Dad trying to earn better to better help the family….kid going for a better program and team, more enjoyable and maybe a better chance to play in college, earn scholly.

Mom and Dad are in charge of the kid. How far do we go with it? Billy in 3rd grade and gets picked for the lesser team at recess…..wants to be with his friends on the other team.

I get the high end athlete that has greatly committed and they are in a program that is weak at the top and program very lackluster. Personally, I say and be a part of the answer BUT I have no issue if those kids leave. Just like staying, sometimes it works out and sometimes it doesn’t. As it’s been stated….it’s the decision to what’s best for the kid and the parents and they must decide. But I do think too much emphasis is put into sports and the best decision isn’t made often enough.
Change is inevitable. Embrace it.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Chilly_D_Castro wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 1:52 pm

They do.

Jobs
Relatiomships
Schools
Zip codes
Cars
Friends
Houses
Grocery stores
Favorite diner
Music taste
Dating preferences....
Etc etc etc.

That's life.

Deep. I’ve been ok with it for 20 years. Doesn’t change my point. I’ll change my efforts.

Transferring is 100% ok and kids only get one life and they should be happy. Everything else is moo.

SOsportsFAN
Waterboy

Post by SOsportsFAN »

There’s a huge difference between Transfer and Recruit! When you have proof of a coach contacting all the transfers, it’s illegal and should be dealt with. I know a coach that people took photos of at a junior high game and now that kid has transferred to Ironton as a freshman. Not legal

SOsportsFAN
Waterboy

Post by SOsportsFAN »

SOsportsFAN wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 2:22 pm There’s a huge difference between Transfer and Recruit! When you have proof of a coach contacting all the transfers, it’s illegal and should be dealt with.

Chilly_D_Castro
Freshman Team

Ironman92 wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 2:11 pm

Deep. I’ve been ok with it for 20 years. Doesn’t change my point. I’ll change my efforts.

Transferring is 100% ok and kids only get one life and they should be happy. Everything else is moo.
🎯

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Chilly_D_Castro wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 6:29 pm
Ironman92 wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 2:11 pm

🎯
I apologize for going outside the field of play on this thread. Just a few months ago my very own daughter transferred from New Boston to Ironton. How easily we forget.

enigmaax
All State

Post by enigmaax »

wobycat wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 1:07 pm
greygoose wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 7:19 pm
enigmaax wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 11:48 am No need for a portal. The solution is as simple as minding our own business and letting families make choices based on their own priorities. It isn’t up to anyone else - OHSAA included - to validate someone’s reason for putting their kid in the situation they feel is best. For academics, to win, to play with friends, to get more playing time; doesn’t matter. It’s a short window in a person’s life to enjoy.
BINGO.........I approve this message :D
Then why does the ohsaa sanction rules on transferring? Why do they care whether the student lives in district? Or use competitive balance? Why don’t they just mind their own business?

You just can’t assume that everyone is making the right decisions for the student. Since ohsaa crowns the champion, why wouldn’t they have their own rules?
Because of an archaic notion of a “level playing field” (that never existed to begin with)? Imagine all that free will in the universe and some made up committee of people dictates that wherever you choose to live one day is the place in which your kids have to rely on everything if they want to participate in sports. Because it isn’t fair to someone else if you change your mind.

YOU may not assume PARENTS make the right decisions for their own kids, but where in the world do people get off thinking it should be anyone else’s decision (let alone an entity that most of those same people claim is incompetent or greedy at best and corrupt at worst)?

SWHITE2002
JV Team

Post by SWHITE2002 »

Doesn’t really matter what anyone thinks.

My opinion is if it isn’t recruiting it’s fine for people to do what they want. But there are rules and there are rules for a reason and if those rules are being broken then there should be consequences. Whether that be recruiting kids or finding false addresses to get kids eligible immediately and/or keep the competitive balance number down to stay in D5.

At the end of the day yes you should be able to go to school where you want if everything is on the up and up. But teams that play by the rules shouldn’t have to play AllStar teams playing as a much smaller school than they should be as well

countywide35
SEOP

Post by countywide35 »

Regardless of one’s personal feelings about this. This isn’t going anywhere anytime soon. The quicker a person can learn to accept this the easier it would be to find another imperfection to pick at.

Didn’t a high school senior recently sign with the Buckeyes and got some ridiculous amount of money for it as a SENIOR in high school and then transfers , de-commits and moves on without ever playing a down of Buckeye football?

2019 FAC Football Pick’Em Champion
SWHITE2002
JV Team

Post by SWHITE2002 »

countywide35 wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 10:36 pm Regardless of one’s personal feelings about this. This isn’t going anywhere anytime soon. The quicker a person can learn to accept this the easier it would be to find another imperfection to pick at.

Didn’t a high school senior recently sign with the Buckeyes and got some ridiculous amount of money for it as a SENIOR in high school and then transfers , de-commits and moves on without ever playing a down of Buckeye football?

It’s the world we live in today.

At the same time you have coaches like Nick Saban making statements that kids should stay at their schools and fight through adversity. So who knows what the answer is

Return to “Football”