Juggernaut or House of Cards

OVCFan1
Freshman Team

Juggernaut or House of Cards

Post by OVCFan1 »

What's your take? Is Ironton a true juggernaut, ready to become a true elite destination for high school players or a house of cards ready to fall in the foreseeable future? On one hand they are having kids visit the top D1 programs in the nation with some starting to get offers and many schools lining up to see the talent; On the other hand, their loaded teams have yet to yield a State Title playing teams with (on paper at least) far less levels of talent. Will the scouts still feel the same about the pool of talent coming from Ironton if the players never pan out at the next level or does Ironton truly have the level of elite talent that the scouting service says they have, but a coach who just can't win even with such superior talent.

My best guess is something will have to give if such high levels of expectations are not met and met soon...

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Re: Juggernaut or House of Cards

Post by Ironman92 »

Southeastern Ohio juggernaut

XandOs
Varsity

Post by XandOs »

OVCFan1 wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 2:03 pm What's your take? Is Ironton a true juggernaut, ready to become a true elite destination for high school players or a house of cards ready to fall in the foreseeable future? On one hand they are having kids visit the top D1 programs in the nation with some starting to get offers and many schools lining up to see the talent; On the other hand, their loaded teams have yet to yield a State Title playing teams with (on paper at least) far less levels of talent. Will the scouts still feel the same about the pool of talent coming from Ironton if the players never pan out at the next level or does Ironton truly have the level of elite talent that the scouting service says they have, but a coach who just can't win even with such superior talent.

My best guess is something will have to give if such high levels of expectations are not met and met soon...

😂😂😂

Ironton has been a juggernaut minus a couple years between Coach Lutz and new coaching staff. Winning and competing at State level isn’t anything new. Ironton has sent more kids D1 in their history than all other schools in SEO prolly combined. Typical CG fan post trying any and everything to put a dent in the Ironton program. 122-19 scoring difference since hiring Coach Lucas.

artisgilmore
Varsity

Post by artisgilmore »

OVC,your comments don’t add up.You don’t deny talent because you don’t win state every year.There’s a lot of factors in winning a championship.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

OVCFan1 wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 2:03 pm What's your take? Is Ironton a true juggernaut, ready to become a true elite destination for high school players or a house of cards ready to fall in the foreseeable future? On one hand they are having kids visit the top D1 programs in the nation with some starting to get offers and many schools lining up to see the talent; On the other hand, their loaded teams have yet to yield a State Title playing teams with (on paper at least) far less levels of talent. Will the scouts still feel the same about the pool of talent coming from Ironton if the players never pan out at the next level or does Ironton truly have the level of elite talent that the scouting service says they have, but a coach who just can't win even with such superior talent.

Something will have to give really?? So they went from having down years, to having multiple kids move in each year, college scouts showing up to watch practices, hosting Ohio Showcases for the area, teaching kids the college way of doing things, helping kids get college offers each year and you think something will have to give??? RIGHT. Colleges care about talent they don't care about whether or not you won a state title or not, for less levels of talent? SO Kirtland and the 50 plus wins they had in a row was the lesser team pretty sure they were favored, and I'm doubting the Ironton School Board is behind closed doors worrying about what to do if they don't win a state title, only 7 teams in Ohio get to win that each year.

PTrojan59
S

Post by PTrojan59 »

^ good post. I’m sure the goal each season at Ironton is to win a state title. I’m sure that’s the goal of every school. But the program isn’t going to fall apart, the school board isn’t going to implode the coaching staff if a state title doesn’t happen. Do you realize all the publicity coming into the Ironton community, schools and sports programs right now? It’s all pretty much positive publicity as well with the exception of some other schools disgruntled fans online. What they have going on is generating revenue for the school, athletics and the city of Ironton in general. You think them hosting coaching clinics, hosting camps, showcases and what not isn’t bringing in either revenue or good publicity then you’re wrong. So no nothing will have to give. Ironton has been a power house in seo for years this isn’t anything new. The reason you are hearing about them so much now is because they are being smart and marketing everything they can and in return they are generating that revenue and publicity I mentioned. Also college coaches don’t care about kids winning state titles. That doesn’t show how good or bad a kid is at the game of football. Ironton had D1 kids before the current staff, they will have them with this staff (looks like plenty obviously) and they will have them with the next staff I’m sure. My guess is Pendleton will be at Ironton as long as he wants to be there. They have no need to blow anything up. Maybe they haven’t won state titles, but they sure have won a lot of football games, including playoff games. The program is doing really well. What a silly post.

Who Dey!
Chilly_D_Castro
Freshman Team

Post by Chilly_D_Castro »

Looks like Ironton is in good shape for the forseeable future.
Attachments
Screenshot_20220418-123455_Facebook.jpg
Screenshot_20220418-134936_Facebook.jpg

FIDO
S

Post by FIDO »

Depth, depth, depth. Keeping players fresh, and ultimately healthy, pays huge dividends in the long run. How many players go both ways?

Plus, when you're head n shoulders above your conference opponents, you're better able to get plenty of minutes for the development of younger kids.
Last edited by FIDO on Mon Apr 18, 2022 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chilly_D_Castro
Freshman Team

FIDO wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 6:35 pm Depth, depth, depth. Keeping players fresh, and ultimately healthy, pays huge dividends in the long run. How many players go both ways?

Plus, when you're head n shoulders above your conference opponents, you're are better able to get plenty of minutes for the development of younger kids.
& thats why kids like Terry, Young, Martin, Shreck, will start to emerge this season and fill roles & make plays. 🎯

ohbuckeye2
SEOPS HO

Post by ohbuckeye2 »

Coaching Staffs from Ohio State, Cincinnati, Kent State and Coastal Carolina will be in Tiger Town this Friday.

Go Fighting Tigers……

Chilly_D_Castro
Freshman Team

Success comes in many forms. Providing student athletes with exposure, preperation, conditioning, skills, ( education) that leads to increased opportunity is priority #1. This staff is exceeding expectations. The titles will come. Regardless where the kids come from, they come in and work hard. So the opportunity is earned. When Ironton does get a chip, the narrative will change to "only one in x amount of seasons etc etc etc" It's almost strange how ambition is begrudged and education is begrudged. Moving away or "transferring" is begrudged. I don't think the "a title now or bust" narrative is real in any sense in any logical mind. That also doesn't mean expectations do not exist. It's just that they are held in perspective imo. I think the futures awfully bright with this staff.
Attachments
94229.jpeg
94231.jpeg
94225.jpeg

Chilly_D_Castro
Freshman Team

ohbuckeye2 wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 9:21 pm Coaching Staffs from Ohio State, Cincinnati, Kent State and Coastal Carolina will be in Tiger Town this Friday.

Go Fighting Tigers……
Yup.
Attachments
Screenshot_20220418-212532_Facebook.jpg

pistol
Freshman Team

Post by pistol »

XandOs wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 2:19 pm

😂😂😂

Ironton has been a juggernaut minus a couple years between Coach Lutz and new coaching staff. Winning and competing at State level isn’t anything new. Ironton has sent more kids D1 in their history than all other schools in SEO prolly combined. Typical CG fan post trying any and everything to put a dent in the Ironton program. 122-19 scoring difference since hiring Coach Lucas.
And you're a typical Ironton fan who pounds they're chest when their all star team beats up an OVC school

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

ohbuckeye2 wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 9:21 pm Coaching Staffs from Ohio State, Cincinnati, Kent State and Coastal Carolina will be in Tiger Town this Friday.

Go Fighting Tigers……
My oh my, pretty impressive for anyone doubting what Ironton is doing and what doors they're helping to open to these young men please post what colleges are coming to your practices love to know. I'm not even an Ironton fan but I would hope that anyone with an honest outlook on things can respect exactly what they're building along the river.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Ohio St and Kent St will be at Jackson early morning Friday and then onto Ironton. Ohio U will be there as well.

transplant
SE

Post by transplant »

Kent state is stopping by lucasville one day this week as well to watch a young man workout.

Jason Vorhees
S

Post by Jason Vorhees »

It’s nice hearing about multiple schools having College or D1 football programs be in the area to watch kids workout. Exposure is always a great thing.

Jason Vorhees
S

Post by Jason Vorhees »

Collectively, Ironton is 63-6 all time vs the rest of Lawrence County. Here’s the 6 losses:

2017: Coal Grove, 28-7
2017: Fairland, 27-21
1932: Pedro, 8-0
1944: South Point, 1-0 (forfeit)
1962: South Point, 12-6
1966: South Point, 20-8

XandOs
Varsity

Post by XandOs »

Another reason why the OVC should expand and let bigger schools in or let Ironton go independent in football only.

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

Since Bob Lutz took over the Ironton program in 1972, it has been the gold standard of football excellence in the SE district and one of the best in the state. The Fighting Tigers have made more playoff appearances, have more playoff wins, and more appearances in the state title game than any SE district school. There's really no argument about it. On top of that, Ironton has a long history of playing schools outside the SE district. Currently, they are by far the most dominant program in the OVC, but I don't think they can make the claim as to being the bully of the SE district because Wheelersburg over the last decade has actually been better than Ironton, including 3 playoff wins over the Fighting Tigers. The Pirates also have the most recent state title (2017), and have matched the Fighting Tigers' 2 state championships.

As for the Wheelersburg program.......Ed Miller took over in the early 70's and completely changed the football culture. Before he came on board, the Burg was not a prominent program even in the SOC. New Boston, East, Notre Dame, and West were the dominant football schools in the conference. I remember a game that I felt was transcendent for the Pirates program.....an 11-0 win at Spartan Stadium in 1974 against Portsmouth. It seemed from that point on that the Burg program established itself as a dominant SOC power, and eventually it carried over to playoff success.

There's more football talk about Ironton and Wheelersburg than any other schools on SEOPS. They are the most successful, and in turn generate the most jealousy among disgruntled fans who are tired of seeing their school on the short end of the scoreboard vs. these 2 programs. Charges of recruiting, transfers, and backroom deals are the arrows that are thrown in their direction, but the simple truth is that both of these programs didn't become good overnight. It was the changing to a winning culture by 2 coaches long ago that has carried over to this day.

Return to “Football”