Juggernaut or House of Cards

Blitz
Varsity

Re: Juggernaut or House of Cards

Post by Blitz »

trojandave wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 12:13 pm Since Bob Lutz took over the Ironton program in 1972, it has been the gold standard of football excellence in the SE district and one of the best in the state. The Fighting Tigers have made more playoff appearances, have more playoff wins, and more appearances in the state title game than any SE district school. There's really no argument about it. On top of that, Ironton has a long history of playing schools outside the SE district. Currently, they are by far the most dominant program in the OVC, but I don't think they can make the claim as to being the bully of the SE district because Wheelersburg over the last decade has actually been better than Ironton, including 3 playoff wins over the Fighting Tigers. The Pirates also have the most recent state title (2017), and have matched the Fighting Tigers' 2 state championships.

As for the Wheelersburg program.......Ed Miller took over in the early 70's and completely changed the football culture. Before he came on board, the Burg was not a prominent program even in the SOC. New Boston, East, Notre Dame, and West were the dominant football schools in the conference. I remember a game that I felt was transcendent for the Pirates program.....an 11-0 win at Spartan Stadium in 1974 against Portsmouth. It seemed from that point on that the Burg program established itself as a dominant SOC power, and eventually it carried over to playoff success.

There's more football talk about Ironton and Wheelersburg than any other schools on SEOPS. They are the most successful, and in turn generate the most jealousy among disgruntled fans who are tired of seeing their school on the short end of the scoreboard vs. these 2 programs. Charges of recruiting, transfers, and backroom deals are the arrows that are thrown in their direction, but the simple truth is that both of these programs didn't become good overnight. It was the changing to a winning culture by 2 coaches long ago that has carried over to this day.
Trojandave wins the internet!
Mic drop

fielddaddy
JV Team

Re: Juggernaut or House of Cards

Post by fielddaddy »

trojandave wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 12:13 pm Since Bob Lutz took over the Ironton program in 1972, it has been the gold standard of football excellence in the SE district and one of the best in the state. The Fighting Tigers have made more playoff appearances, have more playoff wins, and more appearances in the state title game than any SE district school. There's really no argument about it. On top of that, Ironton has a long history of playing schools outside the SE district. Currently, they are by far the most dominant program in the OVC, but I don't think they can make the claim as to being the bully of the SE district because Wheelersburg over the last decade has actually been better than Ironton, including 3 playoff wins over the Fighting Tigers. The Pirates also have the most recent state title (2017), and have matched the Fighting Tigers' 2 state championships.

As for the Wheelersburg program.......Ed Miller took over in the early 70's and completely changed the football culture. Before he came on board, the Burg was not a prominent program even in the SOC. New Boston, East, Notre Dame, and West were the dominant football schools in the conference. I remember a game that I felt was transcendent for the Pirates program.....an 11-0 win at Spartan Stadium in 1974 against Portsmouth. It seemed from that point on that the Burg program established itself as a dominant SOC power, and eventually it carried over to playoff success.

There's more football talk about Ironton and Wheelersburg than any other schools on SEOPS. They are the most successful, and in turn generate the most jealousy among disgruntled fans who are tired of seeing their school on the short end of the scoreboard vs. these 2 programs. Charges of recruiting, transfers, and backroom deals are the arrows that are thrown in their direction, but the simple truth is that both of these programs didn't become good overnight. It was the changing to a winning culture by 2 coaches long ago that has carried over to this day.
Great post Ironton had a few lean years there and a change was made.
When Ironton hired Pendleton many wondered why here was a young man who had never been a head coach and many expected him to fail after a rough at times first year he has put together a program many are envious of and jealous of.
He has one goal in mind make Ironton Great again and help the student athletes achieve more in life after high school.
He is now not only the Head Coach but also the Athletic Director and has Ironton on the map of many Colleges and his coaching clinics do nothing but help the exposure of this proud program.
Yes the are getting more transfers it seems and it may pay off in a State Championship soon.
The OVC may or may not keep them in the Conference with the influx of talent they are getting time will only tell on that,
The question is exposure if you had a chance to be recruited by A Wisconsin or Kentucky even Cincinnati would you transfer to Ironton or take a chance and stay at another school and maybe get recruited by a University of Charleston or Kentucky Christian.
I know the goal of college is to get a education I do not dispute that and earning a scholarship helps that cause no matter the school.
But remember these are young men and they want to go to a school that is known by everyone for their programs and name recognition.
Is Ironton a Juggernaut in the SEO yes state wide no but that don't mean they are not on the right track.

Return to “Football”