Newly discovered Wellston - Ironton game

Football Historian
Riding the Bench

Newly discovered Wellston - Ironton game

Post by Football Historian »

Page 10 of the October 18, 1908 Cincinnati Enquirer. Wellston 24, Ironton 0 at Wellston.

Ground Buck
All Conference

Re: Newly discovered Wellston - Ironton game

Post by Ground Buck »

Football Historian wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 9:43 am Page 10 of the October 18, 1908 Cincinnati Enquirer. Wellston 24, Ironton 0 at Wellston.
Someone said the refs stumbled out of a bar in Wellston and caught a cab to the game for that one. :mrgreen:

But seriously, does anyone know what the all time record is between those two? My guess is it's heavily favored by Ironton, but maybe back in those days Wellston was better.

Disclaimer: This is all an opinion and I am therefore hoping we can still express opinions on this site without retort.
Football Historian
Riding the Bench

Post by Football Historian »

Ground Buck wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 11:08 am
Football Historian wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 9:43 am Page 10 of the October 18, 1908 Cincinnati Enquirer. Wellston 24, Ironton 0 at Wellston.
Someone said the refs stumbled out of a bar in Wellston and caught a cab to the game for that one. :mrgreen:

But seriously, does anyone know what the all time record is between those two? My guess is it's heavily favored by Ironton, but maybe back in those days Wellston was better.
www.fourseasonsfootball.com

hsfbfan
Varsity

Post by hsfbfan »

all time record Ironton-22 wins Wellston-9 wins and 2 ties.

GRFan
Varsity

Post by GRFan »

Refs would have catch a street car. The first car in Wellston was 1910. President Nixon's father was a street car conductor before they left Hamden area for California.

Return to “Football”