Riding the Bench

It’s a Great Day

Post by ArntonFartinTiger »

To be a fighting tiger!!

ohbuckeye2
SEOPS HO

Re: It’s a Great Day

Post by ohbuckeye2 »

ArntonFartinTiger wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 4:18 pm To be a fighting tiger!!
Every day is a great day to be a Fighting Tiger.

ArntonFartinTiger
Riding the Bench

Post by ArntonFartinTiger »

Yes sir!! Fighting Tigers till I die!!

BuckeyeBlood
All Conference

Post by BuckeyeBlood »

Was it a great day to be a Tiger on a chilly night last November at Portsmouth Coliseum?

MyBodyDifferent
Freshman Team

Post by MyBodyDifferent »

BuckeyeBlood wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 9:56 pm Was it a great day to be a Tiger on a chilly night last November at Portsmouth Coliseum?
Yes even then it was a great time to be a tiger 🐯

*MrFirstTake*
Beergogglebluez
SE

Post by Beergogglebluez »

BuckeyeBlood wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 9:56 pm Was it a great day to be a Tiger on a chilly night last November at Portsmouth Coliseum?
Could of should of but ironton should of won that game. Not playing Keyes was a head scratcher and should of started the freshman qb who played like 3 straight weeks before. Seems they game might of been on coaching. Im a Trojan fan but just my input from watching the game.

Operation Iraqi freedom 3. Sadr city/ eastern Baghdad 2005
JTEK
All State

Post by JTEK »

Beergogglebluez wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 7:07 am
Could of should of but ironton should of won that game. Not playing Keyes was a head scratcher and should of started the freshman qb who played like 3 straight weeks before. Seems they game might of been on coaching. Im a Trojan fan but just my input from watching the game.
Ironton coaches are great recruiters but avg at best at actual game planning and decision making during games

XandOs
Varsity

Post by XandOs »

JTEK wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 11:38 am
Beergogglebluez wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 7:07 am
Ironton coaches are great recruiters but avg at best at actual game planning and decision making during games
In Coach Pendleton’s 4 years at Ironton. The scores between the 2 are as followed. 28-6 WB in Pendelton first game , 30-6 Ironton ‘19, 40-6 Ironton ‘21 and 17-14 WB ‘21

They didn’t play in 2020 due to Covid but we all know who would have won that game.

Sounds to me like both programs are very good with good coaching. Wheelersburg can’t stand the fact that they no longer are the premiere program in the area.

LockHerUp
Freshman Team

Post by LockHerUp »

Ironton coaches are great in regard to training, promoting the program, and getting exposure for kids (resulting in many scholarships). The game management/play-calling not so much. wheelersburg has MUCH better coaching. It showed in a big way during the playoff game. The pirates had maybe 2 kids that would've started for Ironton and still won the game.

XandOs
Varsity

Post by XandOs »

LockHerUp wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 2:38 pm Ironton coaches are great in regard to training, promoting the program, and getting exposure for kids (resulting in many scholarships). The game management/play-calling not so much. wheelersburg has MUCH better coaching. It showed in a big way during the playoff game. The pirates had maybe 2 kids that would've started for Ironton and still won the game.
I don’t know where you get that narrative. This group of Seniors were beat like drums by everyone growing up. They won like 2 games total in junior high. A lot of these offers is Pendelton and staff putting these kids in the spotlight and his connections. Was he outcoached the first week when they held Wheelersburg to less than 100 yards and beat them by running clock with limited turnovers and good QB play. Or were they out coached in week 13 when they held Wheelersburg to less than 100 yds. But had 6 Turnovers and a bevy of injuries. Including a bunch of starters out or limited. In the last 3 years he and his staff have a combined 4 losses. 2 coming in state game. I believe about every other program in state would take him and his staff as coaches. He’s avg. 10 wins a year throughout his career with a Covid shortened year in there. Just a Tiger fan perspective.

Chilly_D_Castro
Freshman Team

Post by Chilly_D_Castro »

Burg dodged a bullet. Healthy Carpenter, Ironton wins again.

My prediction week one at burg: PAIN! CLUBBER LANG. Gonna be a loooong night for the pirates.

BuckeyeBlood
All Conference

Post by BuckeyeBlood »

XandOs wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 5:59 pm [quote=LockHerUp post_id=2000851 time=<a href="tel:1653763106">1653763106</a> user_id=2744]
Ironton coaches are great in regard to training, promoting the program, and getting exposure for kids (resulting in many scholarships). The game management/play-calling not so much. wheelersburg has MUCH better coaching. It showed in a big way during the playoff game. The pirates had maybe 2 kids that would've started for Ironton and still won the game.
I don’t know where you get that narrative. This group of Seniors were beat like drums by everyone growing up. They won like 2 games total in junior high. A lot of these offers is Pendelton and staff putting these kids in the spotlight and his connections. Was he outcoached the first week when they held Wheelersburg to less than 100 yards and beat them by running clock with limited turnovers and good QB play. Or were they out coached in week 13 when they held Wheelersburg to less than 100 yds. But had 6 Turnovers and a bevy of injuries. Including a bunch of starters out or limited. In the last 3 years he and his staff have a combined 4 losses. 2 coming in state game. I believe about every other program in state would take him and his staff as coaches. He’s avg. 10 wins a year throughout his career with a Covid shortened year in there. Just a Tiger fan perspective.
[/quote]

You know who wasn’t injured that game? Keys and he didn’t get the ball much at all. Idk if he turned it over any of the 6 times but if he did I know it wasn’t more than once. Seems like questionable coaching by Mr. Sparty and the rest of the staff.

RBH23
S

Post by RBH23 »

BuckeyeBlood wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 11:53 pm
XandOs wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 5:59 pm [quote=LockHerUp post_id=2000851 time=<a href="tel:1653763106">1653763106</a> user_id=2744]
You know who wasn’t injured that game? Keys and he didn’t get the ball much at all. Idk if he turned it over any of the 6 times but if he did I know it wasn’t more than once. Seems like questionable coaching by Mr. Sparty and the rest of the staff.
[/quote]

Since Pendleton’s arrival, Ironton has been one of the most talented teams in D5 yet they have no state titles during this time. Last year, Ironton was far more talented than Wheelersburg yet finished the season 1-1 against the Burg.

So right or wrong, Pendleton takes heat as an inferior coach because of his team not living up to expectations. And if he doesn’t win state this year with the college D1 talent that he has, these criticisms will only grow louder.

With so much talent, fans expect championships; the one downfall of “recruiting” an all-star team.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

Only 7 teams win a state championship each year, doesn't mean teams have inferior coaches. Teams have bad games it happens, can't have 6 turnovers and win a ball game once you start getting deeper into the playoffs. I think given the short time he's been ppl tend to forget there's still a learning curve when it comes to Pendleton and him hitting all the right buttons on game day. I'm sure he's still learning to game plan and learning to adjust during the game, take for example Burg I believe Woodward and his staff are excellent at game planning and I think they are even more impressive with in game adjustments. That skill isn't learned over night nor in 2-3 years that's just something that comes with time and one has to develop that ability. I'm sure expectations are very high but if you're an elite program they should be high every single year, the Ironton's, Burg and Jackson's of the world are setting high expectations year in and year out if you're not than you're settling. In the end only 7 teams can fulfil those expectations though.

XandOs
Varsity

Post by XandOs »

RBH23 wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 1:11 am
Since Pendleton’s arrival, Ironton has been one of the most talented teams in D5 yet they have no state titles during this time. Last year, Ironton was far more talented than Wheelersburg yet finished the season 1-1 against the Burg.

So right or wrong, Pendleton takes heat as an inferior coach because of his team not living up to expectations. And if he doesn’t win state this year with the college D1 talent that he has, these criticisms will only grow louder.

With so much talent, fans expect championships; the one downfall of “recruiting” an all-star team.
[/quote]

All this talent you speak of came to Ironton with 0 offers. So we’re these kids developed by the Ironton staff or was it just a matter of time. Has any of you ever thought that maybe Pendelton and staff are taking the same type of athletes everyone has in the area and getting them College ready and developed.

XandOs
Varsity

Post by XandOs »

If Pendelton was at another school in the area. My take is that school is doing exactly what Ironton is doing as far as putting kids into college.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

XandOs wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 9:39 am

All this talent you speak of came to Ironton with 0 offers. So we’re these kids developed by the Ironton staff or was it just a matter of time. Has any of you ever thought that maybe Pendelton and staff are taking the same type of athletes everyone has in the area and getting them College ready and developed.
[/quote]

I would assume great contacts….then a little bit of everything else. The two newer kids both already had plenty of offers or would have. Kids and families are buying in to “Ironton” and the being part of involves tremendous workouts.

OVCFan1
Freshman Team

Post by OVCFan1 »

Maybe it isn’t the Pendleton’s at all, maybe it’s having the Keyes kid on the team whose dad is the lead for a recruiting service....

XandOs
Varsity

Post by XandOs »

[media]
OVCFan1 wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 10:13 am Maybe it isn’t the Pendleton’s at all, maybe it’s having the Keyes kid on the team whose dad is the lead for a recruiting service....
[/media]

Maybe…. Or maybe it’s all Pendelton and staff. I would bet people would be very surprised on how many coaches in college football know who Pendleton is. It seemed to work out for Carrico and Carter kid even Before Keyes family got here.

RBH23
S

Post by RBH23 »

XandOs wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 9:39 am

[/quote]

The Ironton staff definitely got these kids exposure, but all of these “transfers” were already super athletes and stars on their prior teams; except the QB Salyers, but he comes from a family of college athletes so he was most likely headed that direction regardless.

My point is that Ironton, since Pendleton has been there, has/had the most talent of any D5 team in the state, and it’s not even close. Last year’s team had more major D1 talent than Wheelersburg has ever produced in the history of their program. Yet the teams split their games.

Ironton also had far superior talent than Kirtland. Went 0-2 against them.

Eventually, with this massive talent advantage, Pendleton will be expected to win a state title.

Return to “Football”