Biggest Rival

Dundas
SEOPS

Biggest Rival

Post by Dundas »

Who is your schools biggest rival and why?

mattash
Site Admin

Re: Biggest Rival

Post by mattash »

Ironton v Burg
Trimble v Nelsonville-York
Fairland v Chesapeake

"you miss 100% of the shots you don't take. Wayne Gretzky"

Michael Scott
Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

In football currently I could argue Chillicothe or Burg

Short lived but Western Brown feels like a big rivalry

Might be Ironton sooner than later

For many many years it was Wellston, for a few years it was Logan, for several years it was Gallia Academy….none of the ones now feel like those ones did.

PTrojan59
S

Post by PTrojan59 »

Portsmouth-Ironton. 3rd oldest rivalry in Ohio? I know it’s up there, that exact number may be off. Both teams have been around forever, building off of the Spartans & Tanks. Both have been perennial powerhouses at one time or another. I remember in school being taught not to like Ironton. Ironton week was always different. Always this buzz around the town and school. Little pep in everyone’s step. This rivalry has been fierce over the years. Ironton is obviously up right now, and Portsmouth is on the verge of maybe becoming a respected football program again. A few years back the Trojans came back to beat the Tigers to get into the playoffs after being down big in the first half. The Tigers have had their way ever since, but last years playoff game the Trojans gave the Tigers all they could handle. Fun old rivalry that I really enjoy being apart of as an alumni.

Other rivals include Portsmouth West, Wheelersburg and one that I think has really started to blossom into a rivalry is Fairland.

Who Dey!
NY BUCK
All State

Post by NY BUCK »

Nelsonville-York

Trimble & Athens.

Week 1 and Week 10. Both trophy games.

SiderBlood
All Conference

Post by SiderBlood »

West and Burg. It's been pretty lopsided the last 10-15 years, taking away from the fun of it. But to the people who can remember when it wasn't, it is epic. Many 1 score games, deciding the SOC, and always some chipininess on the field. Sharing the orange and black and w is one thing. I think both fans kind of stereotype each other into a natural rivalry. Hope to get back to some competitive play this year.

Portsmouth- I'd have to go back and look, but I would say over the past 20 years this one is pretty even. Seems like every year it's a toss up with some close games. Close proximity and lots of talk with this one. 2002 Regional final is a top 5 game ever for me in high school football.

"Everyone has a plan until you get punched in the mouth" - Mike Tyson
Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

Athens is NY and Alexander

Ed Ott
Varsity

Post by Ed Ott »

For Chillicothe it just doesn’t really feel like we have a true rival. For our schedule it has to be Jackson but it doesn’t feel like a big time rival.

RollCoal
JV Team

Post by RollCoal »

For Coal Grove it’s always been Rock Hill and Fairland

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and excepting a different result;
Albert Einstein
Tartanblue
SEO

Post by Tartanblue »

PTrojan59 wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 9:29 pm Portsmouth-Ironton. 3rd oldest rivalry in Ohio? I know it’s up there, that exact number may be off. Both teams have been around forever, building off of the Spartans & Tanks. Both have been perennial powerhouses at one time or another. I remember in school being taught not to like Ironton. Ironton week was always different. Always this buzz around the town and school. Little pep in everyone’s step. This rivalry has been fierce over the years. Ironton is obviously up right now, and Portsmouth is on the verge of maybe becoming a respected football program again. A few years back the Trojans came back to beat the Tigers to get into the playoffs after being down big in the first half. The Tigers have had their way ever since, but last years playoff game the Trojans gave the Tigers all they could handle. Fun old rivalry that I really enjoy being apart of as an alumni.

Other rivals include Portsmouth West, Wheelersburg and one that I think has really started to blossom into a rivalry is Fairland.
I don't know if I'd consider Portsmouth -Burg rivals as much any more where they don't play.

For East it would have to be Notre Dame.

PTrojan59
S

Post by PTrojan59 »

Tartanblue wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 12:14 pm
PTrojan59 wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 9:29 pm Portsmouth-Ironton. 3rd oldest rivalry in Ohio? I know it’s up there, that exact number may be off. Both teams have been around forever, building off of the Spartans & Tanks. Both have been perennial powerhouses at one time or another. I remember in school being taught not to like Ironton. Ironton week was always different. Always this buzz around the town and school. Little pep in everyone’s step. This rivalry has been fierce over the years. Ironton is obviously up right now, and Portsmouth is on the verge of maybe becoming a respected football program again. A few years back the Trojans came back to beat the Tigers to get into the playoffs after being down big in the first half. The Tigers have had their way ever since, but last years playoff game the Trojans gave the Tigers all they could handle. Fun old rivalry that I really enjoy being apart of as an alumni.

I don't know if I'd consider Portsmouth -Burg rivals as much any more where they don't play.

Very one sided in favor of the Burg as well. I’d like to see them get a series going again though.

Who Dey!
Tartanblue
SEO

Post by Tartanblue »

PTrojan59 wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 9:37 am
Tartanblue wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 12:14 pm

Very one sided in favor of the Burg as well. I’d like to see them get a series going again though.
Me too, even if the records that year weren't close the games I went to were still interesting to watch.

redblue85
Freshman Team

Post by redblue85 »

Fort Fryes biggest rival is waterford for obvious reasons.

Tvcfanatic
Varsity

Post by Tvcfanatic »

Meigs rivals are River Valley and Athens

MisterGalliaGuy2016
All Conference

Post by MisterGalliaGuy2016 »

GA, probably Jackson or Point Pleasant. Maybe Meigs, but Meigs is historically much more one sided.

Ironmen98
All State

Post by Ironmen98 »

MisterGalliaGuy2016 wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 3:20 pm GA, probably Jackson or Point Pleasant. Maybe Meigs, but Meigs is historically much more one sided.
That fact that Jackson and Gallia don’t play is insanity!

MisterGalliaGuy2016
All Conference

Ironmen98 wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 6:20 pm
MisterGalliaGuy2016 wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 3:20 pm GA, probably Jackson or Point Pleasant. Maybe Meigs, but Meigs is historically much more one sided.
Hey, take it up with the fine folks on the home sideline at Alumni Stadium lololol

Ironmen98
All State

Post by Ironmen98 »

MisterGalliaGuy2016 wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 7:21 pm
Hey, take it up with the fine folks on the home sideline at Alumni Stadium lololol
Oh I know the reason but I wish they could play

MisterGalliaGuy2016
All Conference

Ironmen98 wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 7:25 pm
MisterGalliaGuy2016 wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 7:21 pm

Oh I know the reason but I wish they could play
Same, honestly. Even though most years, with enrollment dropping off a cliff at GA, the game wouldn't be particularly competitive. Maybe the blue boys can get the fine folks from Rocketville to play us.

efarns
S

Post by efarns »

redblue85 wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 10:06 am Fort Fryes biggest rival is waterford for obvious reasons.
Nah.

I mean . . . They would like to be, but it's more like a family reunion where a football game broke out. One side knows they're not going to win, but they go through the motions because we've been doing this dance for 60 years where we pretend there's some chance Waterford wins

Return to “Football”