Freshman Team

Sports Editorial on OVC/SOC

Post by OVCFan1 »

https://www.irontontribune.com/2022/07/ ... c-leagues/

Thinking out loud: combine the OVC and SOC leagues
Published 10:43 pm Wednesday, July 6, 2022
By Jim Walker

Just a thought...
With the changing landscape of school enrollments couple with the Wild, Wild West world of transfers, it is beginning to become very difficult for a to of schools to put together a winning season, let alone a league title.
This is the case for both the Ohio Valley Conference and the Southern Ohio Conference. There are usually three or four teams who are at the top of the league each season competing for the title, and three or four who struggle to beat each other and fight to stay out of the cellar.
The thought here is WHAT IF they combine the two conferences and break them up into three divisions for football and it could be for football season only.
Baseball and basketball do not have that much of a disparaging competitive balance as football but the SOC has a few others schools to include in other sports because they do not have football.
Baseball and basketball could be divided into just two divisions if so desired or just leave well enough alone.
There are currently 20 teams playing football involved in both conferences but could grow to 21 with the addition of South Gallia in the fall of 2023. That, however, could change if Oak Hill jumps to the Tri-Valley Conference and fills the void of South Gallia leaving.
There have been rumors that Oak Hill is interested in the Tri-Valley Conference which would make an even six-team Division 2. South Gallia joining the SOC 1 gives that division and equal number of teams by moving Northwest up to Division 2.
The TVC would be attractive to Oak Hill because it would face a much easier football schedule than they currently play in the SOC 2 which consists of Waverly, Wheelersburg, Portsmouth West, Minford and Lucasville Valley.
Here is a look at what the conference breakdown would be if the two leagues merged even if it’s just for football purposes and leagues resume as usual for other sports.
Southern Ohio Valley Conference
Division 1
Ironton
Fairland
Portsmouth
Gallipolis
Wheelersburg
Waverly
Minford
Portsmouth West
Division 2
Coal Grove
Rock Hill
Chesapeake
South Point
Oak Hill
Lucasville Valley
Northwest
Division 3
Symmes Valley
Green
Portsmouth Notre Dame
Sciotoville East
Beaver Eastern
South Gallia
Having only seven teams in the second division causes a scheduling problem because a non-league game later in the season is much more difficult to fill because other conferences also play the final part of their schedule against other league teams.
But if Oak Hill leaves, that would be an easier job for athletic directors to fill games earlier in the season.
Like I said, it’s just a thought.
———————
Jim Walker is sports editor emeritus of The Ironton Tribune.

OVCFan1
Freshman Team

Re: Sports Editorial on OVC/SOC

Post by OVCFan1 »

Is it time? What’s the thoughts out there?

GalliaGrad78
SEOP

Post by GalliaGrad78 »

Oh the dog days of summer. The brain goes wild yearning for football season.

TigerBob
All Conference

Post by TigerBob »

Wow you mean a coach at Rock Hill advocating for an easier schedule? What a surprise!

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

Man that would end Gallipolis football, they struggle with numbers as is and with this scenario you're removing them from the group of teams they beat each year in order to get to that 6-4/7-3 place. Now you're putting them in there with a bunch of teams that in most years with this setup they might win 1 or 2 games.

formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

OVCFan1 wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 7:03 am https://www.irontontribune.com/2022/07/ ... c-leagues/

Thinking out loud: combine the OVC and SOC leagues
Published 10:43 pm Wednesday, July 6, 2022
By Jim Walker

Just a thought... and it could be for football season only.
Division 2
Coal Grove
Rock Hill
Chesapeake
South Point
Oak Hill
Lucasville Valley
Northwest

Division 3
Symmes Valley
Green
Portsmouth Notre Dame
Sciotoville East
Beaver Eastern
South Gallia
The most bizarre side of these “realignment” ideas is when it’s suggested to create multiple tiers where the smallest side is virtually unchanged, and everything focuses on the ‘middle.’

For RH, South Point and Chesapeake, what good would a combined 3-15 (RH: 2-4, Chesapeake: 1-5 and SP: 0-6) on the annual in that ‘Division 2’ even do for their programs? Just put them with the D7/fringe D6 schools listed in Division 3.

GalliaGrad78
SEOP

Post by GalliaGrad78 »

greygoose wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 9:44 pm Man that would end Gallipolis football, they struggle with numbers as is and with this scenario you're removing them from the group of teams they beat each year in order to get to that 6-4/7-3 place. Now you're putting them in there with a bunch of teams that in most years with this setup they might win 1 or 2 games.
:roll: :roll: :roll:

fielddaddy
JV Team

Post by fielddaddy »

I don't see these two leagues ever giving up their identity.
Some teams may join or leave but the two leagues will stay basically the same.
I suspect Ironton will be a division 4 team hear in the near future so them staying in the OVC would do even less for them as a football team than it does now.
I could see Ironton reaching out to the FAC but that is a stretch because of the travel for the other teams.
So I suspect Ironton will become a independent sooner than later.
And it may help the football team but definitely make scheduling harder on the other sports.
Sadly we live in a area where options are not there for local teams between distance and size of the schools.
I can see Portsmouth eventually going to the SOC and Waverly going to the FAC and Gallia staying in the OVC and Ironton leaving the OVC.
Symmes Valley may in the future comeback in to the OVC considering they are the only Lawrence County not in the OVC besides Ironton St.Joe who has no football program.
Anything other than these minor moves would Suprise me.
The SOC is happy as they are and will not give up their identity and I do not see the OVC doing the same.

mattash
Site Admin

Post by mattash »

I think Jim has a perfect setup.

Put south Webster in the middle for basketball and they have 8

Western, New Boston, Clay, and St. Joe in the small league and it would be a fun 10 team league

"you miss 100% of the shots you don't take. Wayne Gretzky"

Michael Scott
MisterGalliaGuy2016
All Conference

Post by MisterGalliaGuy2016 »

Would like to see GA join the TVC. Better travel times and a few natural rivals in that league. RV, Meigs, Athens being chief among them. I don't envy the bus rides to Minford, West, and Burg. Would rather them just travel all highway to play in what's basically an Athens County league.

GalliaGrad78
SEOP

Post by GalliaGrad78 »

I doubt The Academy would want to leave the OVC.
But, I never thought they would leave the SEOAL.

baseball16
All Conference

Post by baseball16 »

SOC Administrators should Sit in a BIG room with OVC administrators and come up with one BIG League with 3 divisions. Call it the SOVC. It would work if all went in with an open mind

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

MisterGalliaGuy2016 wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 11:45 am Would like to see GA join the TVC. Better travel times and a few natural rivals in that league. RV, Meigs, Athens being chief among them. I don't envy the bus rides to Minford, West, and Burg. Would rather them just travel all highway to play in what's basically an Athens County league.
If Gallia applied to the TVC, I have no doubt that they would get the number of votes to become a member.

Lovehoops1
Freshman Team

Post by Lovehoops1 »

Why would the SOC want to go with anyone?
If they want 3 Divisions all they have to do is add a couple and they are there and still be on their own.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

fielddaddy wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 8:33 am I don't see these two leagues ever giving up their identity.
Some teams may join or leave but the two leagues will stay basically the same.
I suspect Ironton will be a division 4 team hear in the near future so them staying in the OVC would do even less for them as a football team than it does now.
I could see Ironton reaching out to the FAC but that is a stretch because of the travel for the other teams.
So I suspect Ironton will become a independent sooner than later.
And it may help the football team but definitely make scheduling harder on the other sports.
Sadly we live in a area where options are not there for local teams between distance and size of the schools.
I can see Portsmouth eventually going to the SOC and Waverly going to the FAC and Gallia staying in the OVC and Ironton leaving the OVC.
Symmes Valley may in the future comeback in to the OVC considering they are the only Lawrence County not in the OVC besides Ironton St.Joe who has no football program.
Anything other than these minor moves would Suprise me.
The SOC is happy as they are and will not give up their identity and I do not see the OVC doing the same.
Why would they reach out to the FAC?? They left they SEOAL because of all the driving and this would be no better just don't see it happening.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

GalliaGrad78 wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 7:08 am
greygoose wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 9:44 pm Man that would end Gallipolis football, they struggle with numbers as is and with this scenario you're removing them from the group of teams they beat each year in order to get to that 6-4/7-3 place. Now you're putting them in there with a bunch of teams that in most years with this setup they might win 1 or 2 games.
Since you want to eye roll it please explain to me who they're beating in Division 1?? Gallia has been getting inflated winning seasons based on who they play, don't believe it look at the playoffs or look at the "good" years they've had recently and who they actually beat. Truth hurts I get it but this idea would destroy Gallia which is why you mention them leaving for TVC instead of backing this idea.

formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

baseball16 wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 3:18 pm SOC Administrators should Sit in a BIG room with OVC administrators and come up with one BIG League with 3 divisions. Call it the SOVC. It would work if all went in with an open mind
To what end does a three-tiered league serve? I just don’t see what it accomplishes. Two division leagues work out fine and rarely at all are there larger leagues.

OVC
JV Team

Post by OVC »

Hypothetically, I think the Division 1 would’ve been interesting last year. Ironton, Waverly, Fairland and Wheelersburg all could’ve had a shot to win it. Shoot, Portsmouth and Portsmouth West would’ve competed as well.

Contemplating all life choices and loyalties…
GalliaGrad78
SEOP

Post by GalliaGrad78 »

greygoose wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 7:53 pm
Since you want to eye roll it please explain to me who they're beating in Division 1?? Gallia has been getting inflated winning seasons based on who they play, don't believe it look at the playoffs or look at the "good" years they've had recently and who they actually beat. Truth hurts I get it but this idea would destroy Gallia which is why you mention them leaving for TVC instead of backing this idea.
Which Division 1 teams are you referring to? Don't know of any in southeastern Ohio.
The end of football at Gallia Academy?
You must be confused, I didn't mention a move to the TVC. I don't see that happening.

MisterGalliaGuy2016
All Conference

Post by MisterGalliaGuy2016 »

GalliaGrad78 wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 9:25 am
greygoose wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 7:53 pm

Which Division 1 teams are you referring to? Don't know of any in southeastern Ohio.
The end of football at Gallia Academy?
You must be confused, I didn't mention a move to the TVC. I don't see that happening.
Gonna say. The TVC idea was me. And that's because I'd rather our nonconference games be against opponents not named Meigs and Athens every year. Maybe week 1 against OH, week 2 Unioto or Piketon. Week 3 if it's going to be a 7 game league schedule, Point Pleasant. Or whatever order for those three.

Return to “Football”