Sports Editorial on OVC/SOC

fielddaddy
JV Team

Re: Sports Editorial on OVC/SOC

Post by fielddaddy »

greygoose wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 7:53 pm
fielddaddy wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 8:33 am I don't see these two leagues ever giving up their identity.
Some teams may join or leave but the two leagues will stay basically the same.
I suspect Ironton will be a division 4 team hear in the near future so them staying in the OVC would do even less for them as a football team than it does now.
I could see Ironton reaching out to the FAC but that is a stretch because of the travel for the other teams.
So I suspect Ironton will become a independent sooner than later.
And it may help the football team but definitely make scheduling harder on the other sports.
Sadly we live in a area where options are not there for local teams between distance and size of the schools.
I can see Portsmouth eventually going to the SOC and Waverly going to the FAC and Gallia staying in the OVC and Ironton leaving the OVC.
Symmes Valley may in the future comeback in to the OVC considering they are the only Lawrence County not in the OVC besides Ironton St.Joe who has no football program.
Anything other than these minor moves would Suprise me.
The SOC is happy as they are and will not give up their identity and I do not see the OVC doing the same.
Why would they reach out to the FAC?? They left they SEOAL because of all the driving and this would be no better just don't see it happening.
Ironton has a different coach and look at football now.
The FAC would offer better competition than the OVC and may help them better for the playoffs.
That is Ironton's goal to win it all not just make playoffs.
Problem would be the FAC letting them in to join because of where Ironton is located.
There is no other league remotely close for Ironton to apply for only other option would be go independent which is a big possibility

MyBodyDifferent
Freshman Team

Post by MyBodyDifferent »

Those seoal drive times were a lot farther 😂
Ironton-Hillsboro 86 miles
Ironton-mcclain 86 miles
Ironton-WCH 103 miles total of 274

Ironton-Zanesville 136 miles
Ironton-Marietta 122 miles
Ironton-Warren 112 miles total of 370 that's 100 miles more on the 3 furthest trips which is a big difference kind of plus throw in a drive to Olentangy liberty 137 miles from Ironton they were making way longer drives on average back then take it from someone who was on those teams it wasn't fun

*MrFirstTake*
fielddaddy
JV Team

Post by fielddaddy »

MyBodyDifferent wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 12:26 pm Those seoal drive times were a lot farther 😂
Ironton-Hillsboro 86 miles
Ironton-mcclain 86 miles
Ironton-WCH 103 miles total of 274

Ironton-Zanesville 136 miles
Ironton-Marietta 122 miles
Ironton-Warren 112 miles total of 370 that's 100 miles more on the 3 furthest trips which is a big difference kind of plus throw in a drive to Olentangy liberty 137 miles from Ironton they were making way longer drives on average back then take it from someone who was on those teams it wasn't fun
I don't doubt Ironton would be willing to make them drives question would be if Hillsboro would accept the drive to Ironton McClain would they Courthouse is a drive to.
Ironton would be willing but would those schools be willing to.
Ironton doesn't have a lot of options the SE Ohio as a whole doesn't have a lot of options do to distance and size.
But I agree the SEOAL was tour to say to least

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Ironton wanting in the FAC would by 100% shocking and 99% silly.

Might as well form a league with Sheridan, Fairfield Union and New Lexington

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

fielddaddy wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 11:49 am
fielddaddy wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 8:33 am I don't see these two leagues ever giving up their identity.
Some teams may join or leave but the two leagues will stay basically the same.
I suspect Ironton will be a division 4 team hear in the near future so them staying in the OVC would do even less for them as a football team than it does now.
I could see Ironton reaching out to the FAC but that is a stretch because of the travel for the other teams.
So I suspect Ironton will become a independent sooner than later.
And it may help the football team but definitely make scheduling harder on the other sports.
Sadly we live in a area where options are not there for local teams between distance and size of the schools.
I can see Portsmouth eventually going to the SOC and Waverly going to the FAC and Gallia staying in the OVC and Ironton leaving the OVC.
Symmes Valley may in the future comeback in to the OVC considering they are the only Lawrence County not in the OVC besides Ironton St.Joe who has no football program.
Anything other than these minor moves would Suprise me.
The SOC is happy as they are and will not give up their identity and I do not see the OVC doing the same.
Why would they reach out to the FAC?? They left they SEOAL because of all the driving and this would be no better just don't see it happening.
The FAC would offer better competition than the OVC and may help them better for the playoffs.
Problem would be the FAC letting them in to join because of where Ironton is located.
There is no other league remotely close for Ironton to apply for only other option would be go independent which is a big possibility
Yeah Ironton's location is just a huge obstacle to overcome when people start discussing where they should go or should they be in the OVC. The drive alone knocks Ironton out of any FAC options, if it was football only then possibly you could see an option like that. With schools having to navigate all the different sports it just doesn't become a viable option.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

GalliaGrad78 wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 9:25 am
GalliaGrad78 wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 7:08 am

:roll: :roll: :roll:
Since you want to eye roll it please explain to me who they're beating in Division 1?? Gallia has been getting inflated winning seasons based on who they play, don't believe it look at the playoffs or look at the "good" years they've had recently and who they actually beat. Truth hurts I get it but this idea would destroy Gallia which is why you mention them leaving for TVC instead of backing this idea.
Which Division 1 teams are you referring to? Don't know of any in southeastern Ohio.
The end of football at Gallia Academy?
You must be confused, I didn't mention a move to the TVC. I don't see that happening.
The Division 1 group that was suggested in this article, it does say Division 1, Division 2, and Division 3 you did see those teams correct?? Yeah it wasn't you mentioning the TVC it was the other Gallia feller. I'd feel better about it if they were showing the program heading in the right direction but just to much chatter about how things are ran from the start to finish.

Division 1
Ironton--Not winning
Fairland--Really working the program in the right direction
Portsmouth--Another team that seems to be slowly turning things around we'll know more about them with Roe gone.
Gallipolis
Wheelersburg--Not winning
Waverly--Not Winning
Minford--Talent coming up Gallia would struggle with this one

GoIrish
JV Team

Post by GoIrish »

formerfcfan wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 8:10 pm
baseball16 wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 3:18 pm SOC Administrators should Sit in a BIG room with OVC administrators and come up with one BIG League with 3 divisions. Call it the SOVC. It would work if all went in with an open mind
To what end does a three-tiered league serve? I just don’t see what it accomplishes. Two division leagues work out fine and rarely at all are there larger leagues.
It's working in northwest/north central Ohio right now. Don't see why it couldn't work here.

In the mid 2010s, a shakeup started in north central Ohio that has resulted in a successful 3 division league. The Midland Athletic League (D4, 5, and 6) folded, the Northern Ohio League (used to be D1 and D2 schools, now they've all been bumped down to D3 and D4 schools) folded when the majority of those member schools joined the Sandusky Bay Conference. The SBC now has 3 divisions (Lake, Bay, and River). Some schools play in a different division for football, some schools don't have football at all, and some schools play in a different league for football only. (There's at least 2 schools that play 8 man football). There's even some division hopping for wrestling (it's a pretty popular sport up there), and the majority of them play inter-division games as their non-conference games. But this allows for each division to play their football season with 6 conference schools.

Lake Division (FB D3 and D4)

Sandusky
Bellevue
Clyde
Norwalk
Sandusky Perkins
Tiffin Columbian
Vermilion (plays down for football)

Bay Division (FB smaller D4, D5)
Milan Edison
Huron
Oak Harbor
Port Clinton
Willard
Castalia Margaretta (plays down for football)

River Division (FB D6 and D7)
Tiffin Calvert
Kansas Lakota
Hopewell-Loudon
Fremont St Joe
Gibsonburg
Danbury (8 man FB)
New Riegel (no FB)
Old Fort (no FB)
Sandusky St Mary (8 man FB)

GalliaGrad78
SEOP

Post by GalliaGrad78 »

greygoose wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 7:38 pm
GalliaGrad78 wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 9:25 am

Since you want to eye roll it please explain to me who they're beating in Division 1?? Gallia has been getting inflated winning seasons based on who they play, don't believe it look at the playoffs or look at the "good" years they've had recently and who they actually beat. Truth hurts I get it but this idea would destroy Gallia which is why you mention them leaving for TVC instead of backing this idea.
Which Division 1 teams are you referring to? Don't know of any in southeastern Ohio.
The end of football at Gallia Academy?
You must be confused, I didn't mention a move to the TVC. I don't see that happening.
The Division 1 group that was suggested in this article, it does say Division 1, Division 2, and Division 3 you did see those teams correct?? Yeah it wasn't you mentioning the TVC it was the other Gallia feller. I'd feel better about it if they were showing the program heading in the right direction but just to much chatter about how things are ran from the start to finish.

Division 1
Ironton--Not winning
Fairland--Really working the program in the right direction
Portsmouth--Another team that seems to be slowly turning things around we'll know more about them with Roe gone.
Gallipolis
Wheelersburg--Not winning
Waverly--Not Winning
Minford--Talent coming up Gallia would struggle with this one
After reviewing the original post, I misunderstood the breakdown of hypothetical divisions, though you meant the existing divisions in football. I apoligize.

fielddaddy
JV Team

Post by fielddaddy »

greygoose wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 7:28 pm
fielddaddy wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 11:49 am

Yeah Ironton's location is just a huge obstacle to overcome when people start discussing where they should go or should they be in the OVC. The drive alone knocks Ironton out of any FAC options, if it was football only then possibly you could see an option like that. With schools having to navigate all the different sports it just doesn't become a viable option.
I agree with ya.
Ironton is in a rough spot as for location be nice if they could form a conference with Huntington High and Spring Valley and a few other schools like Jackson and Pt. Pleasant and Gallia.
Travel wouldn't be all that bad and competition would be good and competitive for all the teams.
Would they go for it I don't know but it would be about the only choice if they leave the OVC or go Independent.
Would Jackson go for it who knows if it would happen they would have the rivalry with Gallia back on track and they enjoy playing Ironton.
May never happen I know but it would be nice to see happen.

mustard
JV Team

Post by mustard »

Question for Ironton fans. If Ironton can’t continue to recruit kids in the next few seasons. Will they still be as dominant with just Ironton kids? Their recent success has been mainly due to the transfers. What if that stops? From what I’m gathering from other schools in the area, coaches are stepping up their game by promoting kids that have chances at the next level. Irontons influence in the area could start to take a dip. I think Ironton should stay in the ovc. When Pendleton just had Ironton kids, he didn’t win the ovc. Ovc is definitely not a strong football conference, but going bigger would hurt the tigers.

REDMAN
Waterboy

Post by REDMAN »

Haha I doubt it, have you seen the youth program? Not even announced a league yet, nobody knows what's going on or how many signed up. Not even a camp lol. Lot of kids going to Rock Hill camps. They used to have 3 teams in the teen OVC and had structure. They rely on transfers only.

XandOs
Varsity

Post by XandOs »

REDMAN wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 8:18 pm Haha I doubt it, have you seen the youth program? Not even announced a league yet, nobody knows what's going on or how many signed up. Not even a camp lol. Lot of kids going to Rock Hill camps. They used to have 3 teams in the teen OVC and had structure. They rely on transfers only.
Man you are clueless. Ironton was losing kids because of their youth program. The Daddy Ball stuff was getting out of hand. Ironton has entered to SOFL in football and plan to build it up and likely go inner league in a few years and develop kids from what I’ve been told. Ironton has always got transfers. Some of Lutz greatest players were from all over the region. The Ironton kids who just graduated were terrible in youth league and middle school and played in 2 state titles. I don’t think any REAL Fighting Tigers are going to Rock Hill football 😆😆😆
Last edited by XandOs on Thu Jul 14, 2022 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mustard
JV Team

Post by mustard »

XandOs wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 8:34 pm
REDMAN wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 8:18 pm Haha I doubt it, have you seen the youth program? Not even announced a league yet, nobody knows what's going on or how many signed up. Not even a camp lol. Lot of kids going to Rock Hill camps. They used to have 3 teams in the teen OVC and had structure. They rely on transfers only.
Man you are clueless. Ironton was losing kids because of their youth program. The Daddy Ball stuff was getting out of hand. Ironton has entered to SOFL in football and plan to build it up and likely go inner league in a few years and develop kids. Oh BTW. Ironton has always got transfers. Some of Lutz greatest players were from all over the region. The Ironton kids who just graduated were terrible in youth league and middle school and played in 2 state titles. I don’t think any REAL Fighting Tigers are going to Rock Hill football 😆😆😆
Yeah they have but not at the clip that Pendleton has gotten them. What’s he had like 15 in the past three years? Good players too. I doubt he can sustain that. You know coaches in the area are going to try to keep their best players. Maybe the ovc can get a two tier system. That would help.

XandOs
Varsity

Post by XandOs »

Irontons population is half of what it was in the height of the Lutz era. That’s half the kids to choose from theoretically. Very similar to what’s going on at Portsmouth. No jobs in these river towns mean people are moving. I was told by school official. Last year was the first time in 30+ years enrollment went up at Ironton. Wonder why that happened? Build it and they will come.

GalliaGrad78
SEOP

Post by GalliaGrad78 »

Successful young coach, tradition, and community support is what drives the transfers to Ironton.

mustard
JV Team

Post by mustard »

XandOs wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 9:41 pm Irontons population is half of what it was in the height of the Lutz era. That’s half the kids to choose from theoretically. Very similar to what’s going on at Portsmouth. No jobs in these river towns mean people are moving. I was told by school official. Last year was the first time in 30+ years enrollment went up at Ironton. Wonder why that happened? Build it and they will come.
That’s cool about enrollment but I’m not talking enrollment, I’m talking football transfers. Irontons recent success has been solely built on that. They have some good in house players too but lets be realistic. Their success has been bolstered immediately by help. that’s going to slow one day. When that happens, Ironton will be more level with the teams in their conference in football as shown as they are in the other sports. There’s no reason for Ironton to move to independent or another conference unless the other schools kick them out, which won’t happen. I’m sure they like the gate money.

XandOs
Varsity

Post by XandOs »

[media][/media]

First year Pendleton got job. Took a team that had lost year before to 3 OVC teams the year before and was inherited a roster severely depleted with only handful of upperclassman and played every team on schedule tough. Losing in state playoffs by a score to Johnstown Monroe who played in state title game. Then the next two years he leads Ironton to state championship games while developing one of the best homegrown players in school history. All these transfers you speak of. To me there’s only been a handful of transfers be difference makers over the last 4 years. Do you realize that all these great players you speak of have came to Ironton with no college offers or looks. The hatred and demise for Pendleton and Ironton on SEOPS is laughable. He may have the best 4 year start to a coaching career in the state. Name one better?

PTrojan59
S

Post by PTrojan59 »

XandOs wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 9:41 pm Irontons population is half of what it was in the height of the Lutz era. That’s half the kids to choose from theoretically. Very similar to what’s going on at Portsmouth. No jobs in these river towns mean people are moving. I was told by school official. Last year was the first time in 30+ years enrollment went up at Ironton. Wonder why that happened? Build it and they will come.
Absolutely, times have changed and kids want to play for winners, play to go to the next level. Ironton has done a good job at that. They have a great weight room, good offseason program, social media team is very in the know of how to promote. I feel like the Trojans have done a good job, but I wish they would do some of these things Ironton is doing. Kids are moving to Ironton for football. It’s not my place to say how or why. All I know is they are coming and it’s working out well for them.

Who Dey!
mustard
JV Team

Post by mustard »

PTrojan59 wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 9:40 am
Absolutely, times have changed and kids want to play for winners, play to go to the next level. Ironton has done a good job at that. They have a great weight room, good offseason program, social media team is very in the know of how to promote. I feel like the Trojans have done a good job, but I wish they would do some of these things Ironton is doing. Kids are moving to Ironton for football. It’s not my place to say how or why. All I know is they are coming and it’s working out well for them.
They absolutely do. But the other area coaches have taken notice and aren’t just going to let their best players leave. I’ve seen a lot of posts from other schools promoting their kids. That’s why I’ve stayed on topic with those thinking Ironton should leave the ovc. Ironton fans take offense to the notion that their success is based on transfers. Which it has been. You surround carrico with a little more talent, and it’s hard not to win.

I think the other coaches are taking notice of what Ironton has done and are doing better to keep their home grown talent in their own backyard. Which makes Ironton come back down a little. They will still probably dominate most years of the ovc but it will be competitive. The only knock on the ovc for Ironton is the size of the schools. Most are D6.

XandOs
Varsity

Post by XandOs »

mustard wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 12:18 pm
PTrojan59 wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 9:40 am
They absolutely do. But the other area coaches have taken notice and aren’t just going to let their best players leave. I’ve seen a lot of posts from other schools promoting their kids. That’s why I’ve stayed on topic with those thinking Ironton should leave the ovc. Ironton fans take offense to the notion that their success is based on transfers. Which it has been. You surround carrico with a little more talent, and it’s hard not to win.

I think the other coaches are taking notice of what Ironton has done and are doing better to keep their home grown talent in their own backyard. Which makes Ironton come back down a little. They will still probably dominate most years of the ovc but it will be competitive. The only knock on the ovc for Ironton is the size of the schools. Most are D6.
Ironton has a distinct advantage over other schools in our area when it comes to College recruiting. First Ironton has sent more kids to play football at collegiate level than probably anyone in area over last 50 years. Most College HC are in that 45-65 age range and would know who Ironton is and their history. Now you add Coach Pendelton and his staff full of guys who played college football at big schools and you have the perfect situation. Pendelton played in Rose Bowl and College playoff games not to long ago and was a significant contributor. College programs are going to value his opinion more than a typical HS coach because of what he has done and knows what it takes to play at that level. Ironton isn’t going anywhere. I see the program continuing to grow in the coming years and keep getting better.

Return to “Football”