Sports Editorial on OVC/SOC

fielddaddy
JV Team

Re: Sports Editorial on OVC/SOC

Post by fielddaddy »

mustard wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 12:18 pm
PTrojan59 wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 9:40 am
XandOs wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 9:41 pm Irontons population is half of what it was in the height of the Lutz era. That’s half the kids to choose from theoretically. Very similar to what’s going on at Portsmouth. No jobs in these river towns mean people are moving. I was told by school official. Last year was the first time in 30+ years enrollment went up at Ironton. Wonder why that happened? Build it and they will come.
Absolutely, times have changed and kids want to play for winners, play to go to the next level. Ironton has done a good job at that. They have a great weight room, good offseason program, social media team is very in the know of how to promote. I feel like the Trojans have done a good job, but I wish they would do some of these things Ironton is doing. Kids are moving to Ironton for football. It’s not my place to say how or why. All I know is they are coming and it’s working out well for them.
They absolutely do. But the other area coaches have taken notice and aren’t just going to let their best players leave. I’ve seen a lot of posts from other schools promoting their kids. That’s why I’ve stayed on topic with those thinking Ironton should leave the ovc. Ironton fans take offense to the notion that their success is based on transfers. Which it has been. You surround carrico with a little more talent, and it’s hard not to win.

I think the other coaches are taking notice of what Ironton has done and are doing better to keep their home grown talent in their own backyard. Which makes Ironton come back down a little. They will still probably dominate most years of the ovc but it will be competitive. The only knock on the ovc for Ironton is the size of the schools. Most are D6.
The OVC is a weak conference Rock Hill is weak Chesapeake is weak South Point is weak.
Coal Grove is so and so.
Portsmouth is trying to rebuild but is falling population is hurting it only Fairland is truly competitive and on the uprise.
Ironton needs better competition if it wants to grab the brass ring called a state title.
As long as Pendleton is there Ironton will continue to get players and get better.
The OVC is a good conference for Ironton in all sports except Football.
Ironton's lower level schools are getting better and better and the talent is showing great possibilities as they advance toward high school.

MyBodyDifferent
Freshman Team

Re: Sports Editorial on OVC/SOC

Post by MyBodyDifferent »

fielddaddy wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 5:16 pm
greygoose wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 7:28 pm
fielddaddy wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 11:49 am

Ironton has a different coach and look at football now.
The FAC would offer better competition than the OVC and may help them better for the playoffs.
That is Ironton's goal to win it all not just make playoffs.
Problem would be the FAC letting them in to join because of where Ironton is located.
There is no other league remotely close for Ironton to apply for only other option would be go independent which is a big possibility
Yeah Ironton's location is just a huge obstacle to overcome when people start discussing where they should go or should they be in the OVC. The drive alone knocks Ironton out of any FAC options, if it was football only then possibly you could see an option like that. With schools having to navigate all the different sports it just doesn't become a viable option.
I agree with ya.
Ironton is in a rough spot as for location be nice if they could form a conference with Huntington High and Spring Valley and a few other schools like Jackson and Pt. Pleasant and Gallia.
Travel wouldn't be all that bad and competition would be good and competitive for all the teams.
Would they go for it I don't know but it would be about the only choice if they leave the OVC or go Independent.
Would Jackson go for it who knows if it would happen they would have the rivalry with Gallia back on track and they enjoy playing Ironton.
May never happen I know but it would be nice to see happen.
I like that idea with Huntington point pleasant and spring valley that would be a great conference

*MrFirstTake*

Return to “Football”