Schools That need a Football Team

Tomcat Queen
JV Team

Re: Schools That need a Football Team

Post by Tomcat Queen »

MarauderMadness wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 10:01 am I think it would be great to see a team in Racine
Well, from what one person told me in a post is that they are a "basketball school" so I wouldn't count on a football program any time soon.

Don’t hate us just because you ain’t us.
Tigernation2021
Varsity

Post by Tigernation2021 »

PTrojan59 wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 9:45 am I remember back in the day maybe I was in the 5th or 6th grade Webster started a pee wee program. This was the first season. I remember they hosted a day of games it was a mess. Think they stuck around for a year or 2 after that with the goal to move on to JR High and then high school. But it folded before JR High I do believe as someone else mentioned above. Pretty solid plan to start them from a young age and build that team to come up together to get the football program on its feet. Shame it didn’t work out for them. Clearly they have some athletes out that way, the basketball team is usually very solid.
Yeah that sounds a lot like Western in Pike County, they wanted to build it from the ground up. They struggled in pee wee and they were only getting about 13-14 kids to play at the Junior High level and that's been a few years ago to my knowledge they haven't been able to establish anything in the HS level. They were supposed to start playing JV games but I don't believe that ever happened

MadeInRossCounty
Varsity

Post by MadeInRossCounty »

greygoose wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 9:21 am
MadeInRossCounty wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 8:20 pm
greygoose wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 4:35 pm

No, I don’t believe football has ever been on any of their radars with the exception of SW. however they didn’t last long as I’m guessing they started seeing the financials it takes to have football.
As far as financially I would think football would be a huge financial support at a small school that would help all the other sports. Or do you mean more like building a football field, stadium, bleachers, etc. And don't have money to get it started?
I know for the smaller schools in the SVC, football brings in a lot of money for school athletics in general.
Even if teams are down, people go watch on Friday nights.
For most schools football is always in the negative from a financial standpoint, once you start talking about facilities and buildings that's one thing. I'm referring to operating cost, equipment cost, insurance, transportation cost and just overall facility up keep. I know of one local D7 school I seen a post from their coach they get 2,500 every 2 years to help run and operate both Junior High and High School football meanwhile they had just placed a order for new uniforms that was around 9K. He was explaining the funding and thanking those that help donate and support the team because that's how they keep the program going. Meanwhile on Friday nights the home stands have about 100 people in them if that, and then whatever the visiting team brings to the game. So teams like this no football is not a financial support for small schools if anything it's a anchor, seen another D7 school where they were looking at possibly getting rid of football because of the cost and they were averaging about 50 people coming to their home games counting visitors. No fans do not go watch teams that are losing, you'll have your parents of players and band members and maybe some die hard fans but for the most part the casual fan isn't going to show up on a Friday night to watch losing football, that's just the reality of it.
Thanks for the info. That is sad to see.
Nothing like those Football Friday Night Lights, win or lose.

MadeInRossCounty
Varsity

Post by MadeInRossCounty »

Would transferring from one of these schools be acceptable to most people?
I think if I had a kid who wanted to play, we would look at going somewhere else. Just reality.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

MadeInRossCounty wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 2:25 pm
greygoose wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 9:21 am
MadeInRossCounty wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 8:20 pm
As far as financially I would think football would be a huge financial support at a small school that would help all the other sports. Or do you mean more like building a football field, stadium, bleachers, etc. And don't have money to get it started?
I know for the smaller schools in the SVC, football brings in a lot of money for school athletics in general.
Even if teams are down, people go watch on Friday nights.
For most schools football is always in the negative from a financial standpoint, once you start talking about facilities and buildings that's one thing. I'm referring to operating cost, equipment cost, insurance, transportation cost and just overall facility up keep. I know of one local D7 school I seen a post from their coach they get 2,500 every 2 years to help run and operate both Junior High and High School football meanwhile they had just placed a order for new uniforms that was around 9K. He was explaining the funding and thanking those that help donate and support the team because that's how they keep the program going. Meanwhile on Friday nights the home stands have about 100 people in them if that, and then whatever the visiting team brings to the game. So teams like this no football is not a financial support for small schools if anything it's a anchor, seen another D7 school where they were looking at possibly getting rid of football because of the cost and they were averaging about 50 people coming to their home games counting visitors. No fans do not go watch teams that are losing, you'll have your parents of players and band members and maybe some die hard fans but for the most part the casual fan isn't going to show up on a Friday night to watch losing football, that's just the reality of it.
Thanks for the info. That is sad to see.
Nothing like those Football Friday Night Lights, win or lose.
Yeah it's tough but that's just how things go now a days, feel bad for the kids because in a situation like that 1 they could easily just shut the program down because of funding. Plus just think if that's how they're bringing in you know they're not getting the best possible equipment out there.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

MadeInRossCounty wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 2:27 pm Would transferring from one of these schools be acceptable to most people?
I think if I had a kid who wanted to play, we would look at going somewhere else. Just reality.
In my eyes transferring has always been acceptable and some think kids should just stay put but when you talk about places like this they absolutely should leave if they wanted to.

formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

Main thing is it’s one thing to have enough kids to fill out all of the positions, and a couple backups; it’s another thing to have enough dudes who can actually play the positions.

Big problem with many of these schools who can barely hold it together is their o-line is just a bunch of, uh… “big boned” kids who are in no condition whatsoever to play the line — because they have no other kids to turn to.

Return to “Football”