Omega
SEOPS H

Re: Schools That need a Football Team

Post by Omega »

IrontonTigers#1 wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 3:29 am 1 Ironton St.Jo
2 South Webster
3 New Boston Glenwood
4 Portsmouth Clay
Nice daydream. Yet only Webster has the enrollment to support football, but the Jeeps seem committed to soccer rather than the pigskin.

Gut feelings are your guardian angels
Blue Tartan
Waterboy

Post by Blue Tartan »

Belpre.

Living the dream in Middleport Metro
a_c_m
SEOPS H

Post by a_c_m »

2 South Webster
3 New Boston Glenwood
4 Portsmouth Clay
You could put St.Joe, Glenwood and Clay together and still not have the enrollment of Symmes Valley or Lucasville Valley.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

2 South Webster
3 New Boston Glenwood
4 Portsmouth Clay
None of these schools need football, maybe South Webster but they’ve had ample time to try. I could make a longer list of schools who should pack up their football program or at the very least consolidate.

transplant
SE

Post by transplant »

Agreed.

MadeInRossCounty
Varsity

Post by MadeInRossCounty »

greygoose wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 3:48 pm
2 South Webster
3 New Boston Glenwood
4 Portsmouth Clay
None of these schools need football, maybe South Webster but they’ve had ample time to try. I could make a longer list of schools who should pack up their football program or at the very least consolidate.
My question is, are any of these schools trying to get a football program started? Do they have anything at the youth level, jr high, etc.?

transplant
SE

Post by transplant »

Webster tried at one point. None of those schools are trying, or even thinking about football, right now to my knowledge.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

MadeInRossCounty wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 4:22 pm
2 South Webster
3 New Boston Glenwood
4 Portsmouth Clay
My question is, are any of these schools trying to get a football program started? Do they have anything at the youth level, jr high, etc.?
No, I don’t believe football has ever been on any of their radars with the exception of SW. however they didn’t last long as I’m guessing they started seeing the financials it takes to have football.

TheFlyingDutchman
JV Team

Post by TheFlyingDutchman »

Students at ISJ can play at IHS without leaving ISJ. Several soccer players have kicked at IHS .

Frequent Flyer
Riding the Bench

Post by Frequent Flyer »

TheFlyingDutchman wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 4:45 pm Students at ISJ can play at IHS without leaving ISJ. Several soccer players have kicked at IHS .
That’s why the Fartin Tigers win is on the legs of us Flyers. There should be some of our colors in that turf.

Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

greygoose wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 4:35 pm

No, I don’t believe football has ever been on any of their radars with the exception of SW. however they didn’t last long as I’m guessing they started seeing the financials it takes to have football.
As a former student at Clay 63-64, I remember some discussions regarding football. The numbers made no sense then, they make less sense now.

One unusual factoid, although Clay never had a team, one Mr. John Doll was a walk on at Ohio State around 1970.

Gut feelings are your guardian angels
LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

Post by LICKING COUNTY FAN »

This is a prime reason why Ohio should have co-ops for sports

MadeInRossCounty
Varsity

Post by MadeInRossCounty »

As far as financially I would think football would be a huge financial support at a small school that would help all the other sports. Or do you mean more like building a football field, stadium, bleachers, etc. And don't have money to get it started?
I know for the smaller schools in the SVC, football brings in a lot of money for school athletics in general.
Even if teams are down, people go watch on Friday nights.

MisterGalliaGuy2016
All Conference

Post by MisterGalliaGuy2016 »

THE Ohio State University does as of November 27th, 2021. 🤓🤓🤓

IrontonTigers#1
Freshman Team

Post by IrontonTigers#1 »

They Could all Go in Division 7

Go Ironton Fighting Tigers, GoTexas Longhorns
greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

MadeInRossCounty wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 8:20 pm

As far as financially I would think football would be a huge financial support at a small school that would help all the other sports. Or do you mean more like building a football field, stadium, bleachers, etc. And don't have money to get it started?
I know for the smaller schools in the SVC, football brings in a lot of money for school athletics in general.
For most schools football is always in the negative from a financial standpoint, once you start talking about facilities and buildings that's one thing. I'm referring to operating cost, equipment cost, insurance, transportation cost and just overall facility up keep. I know of one local D7 school I seen a post from their coach they get 2,500 every 2 years to help run and operate both Junior High and High School football meanwhile they had just placed a order for new uniforms that was around 9K. He was explaining the funding and thanking those that help donate and support the team because that's how they keep the program going. Meanwhile on Friday nights the home stands have about 100 people in them if that, and then whatever the visiting team brings to the game. So teams like this no football is not a financial support for small schools if anything it's a anchor, seen another D7 school where they were looking at possibly getting rid of football because of the cost and they were averaging about 50 people coming to their home games counting visitors. No fans do not go watch teams that are losing, you'll have your parents of players and band members and maybe some die hard fans but for the most part the casual fan isn't going to show up on a Friday night to watch losing football, that's just the reality of it.

Tartanblue
SEO

Post by Tartanblue »

MadeInRossCounty wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 8:20 pm

Webster tried building it from the ground up, had good numbers and everything. From my understanding when those kids got to junior high parents went to the board about adding football but was shot down so the peewee program folded. I have also heard that holes for goal posts were built in the soccer field in case football ever became an option.

PTrojan59
S

Post by PTrojan59 »

I remember back in the day maybe I was in the 5th or 6th grade Webster started a pee wee program. This was the first season. I remember they hosted a day of games it was a mess. Think they stuck around for a year or 2 after that with the goal to move on to JR High and then high school. But it folded before JR High I do believe as someone else mentioned above. Pretty solid plan to start them from a young age and build that team to come up together to get the football program on its feet. Shame it didn’t work out for them. Clearly they have some athletes out that way, the basketball team is usually very solid.

Who Dey!
MarauderMadness
JV Team

Post by MarauderMadness »

I think it would be great to see a team in Racine

Return to “Football”