Possible Week 1 Ref Boycott?

Crab's Brother
SEO

Re: Possible Week 1 Ref Boycott?

Post by Crab's Brother »

There are just not a lot of younger people getting into it. They see the crap that people are given and think why.

In years past, college kids could work 3-4 nights doing JH and JV games and clear $240 and be good. Now with burger flippers starting at $13-$15 an hour, they are better off going the part time job route.

FIDO
S

Post by FIDO »

Officials need compensated and players deserve quality officiating.

I get the abuse angle and Im sure social media has only aggravated the situation. No one wants to be hounded. There just isnt any respect for any sort of authority nowadays and it is truly unfortunate. Jmo

Who pays the officials, school or booster? How much does it cost to pay the crew per event? Seems like between what the school is authorized and with offsets by the booster then surely some sort of compromise can be made.

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

FIDO wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 3:22 am Officials need compensated and players deserve quality officiating.

I get the abuse angle and Im sure social media has only aggravated the situation. No one wants to be hounded. There just isnt any respect for any sort of authority nowadays and it is truly unfortunate. Jmo

Who pays the officials, school or booster? How much does it cost to pay the crew per event? Seems like between what the school is authorized and with offsets by the booster then surely some sort of compromise can be made.
I don't know of any boosters who are paying officials.
Most booster organizations are struggling to raise money in this day and age.

Championship's are won in the off-season
BUCKEYE PRIDE!
Gray Cat
Varsity

Post by Gray Cat »

One problem is the OHSAA basically forcing everyone to use Arbiter, and they raised their rates. I'm sure the OHSAA is prolly getting kickbacks from Ariter. But it would be great if the schools and officials didn't have to use them. And cheaper for the schools.

FIDO
S

Post by FIDO »

These guys are making roughly the same amount since the late 70s qnd 80s. You get what you pay for. Dont complain of poor officiating when ypu have subpar officals calling the game because the quality is elsewhere. Seems like a dollar of every ticket sold should be towards the official pool. In all honestly i dont have a clue how thay are compensated.

Pat
Varsity

Post by Pat »

FIDO wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 7:21 am These guys are making roughly the same amount since the late 70s qnd 80s. You get what you pay for. Dont complain of poor officiating when ypu have subpar officals calling the game because the quality is elsewhere. Seems like a dollar of every ticket sold should be towards the official pool. In all honestly i dont have a clue how thay are compensated.
So, what you are saying is if 5,000 people buy tickets the officials should get paid $5,000? That would be $1,000 apiece for one game. That's a he11 of an incentive to sign up for the class. :mrgreen:

RiverBallFan1
Freshman Team

Post by RiverBallFan1 »

This is so real. “Let the walk” is the dumbest thing I’ve heard. If “someone” will do it….that game will definitely not be worth watching and hopefully no players get injured from incompetent scab officials!

"Come on Dave, give me a break" Ted Templeton UNCHAINED!
goUK
Varsity

Post by goUK »

Since there are only 10 games, the pay should go up. These refs have the same annual expenses as other sports but less opportunity to recoup the money. Driving 40 round trip miles to make $50 for JV or MS makes it even worse. Yes, tickets should be $10 for varsity football.

Geronimo
SEOP

Post by Geronimo »

10.00 yes

Buckeye in WV
Waterboy

Post by Buckeye in WV »

All costs are going up so my solution is to eliminate 1 official and split his pay among the others

Pol pot
SE

Post by Pol pot »

Gray Cat wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 12:28 pm One problem is the OHSAA basically forcing everyone to use Arbiter, and they raised their rates. I'm sure the OHSAA is prolly getting kickbacks from Ariter. But it would be great if the schools and officials didn't have to use them. And cheaper for the schools.
Yeah would be great if schools went back to h the old paper contracts and wait a month to get that check in the mail.

Farmer Yoder
Freshman Team

Post by Farmer Yoder »

FIDO wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 3:22 am Officials need compensated and players deserve quality officiating.

It depends. Usually I get paid by the school. However certain coaches have been known to be very very generous when I do what they consider to be a good job

blackshooky
All Conference

Post by blackshooky »

Pol pot wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 3:51 pm [quote="Gray Cat" post_id=2005410 time=<a href="tel:1658852890">1658852890</a> user_id=18595]
One problem is the OHSAA basically forcing everyone to use Arbiter, and they raised their rates. I'm sure the OHSAA is prolly getting kickbacks from Ariter. But it would be great if the schools and officials didn't have to use them. And cheaper for the schools.
Yeah would be great if schools went back to h the old paper contracts and wait a month to get that check in the mail.
[/quote]

greedy oh$aa is here to stay 💰💰💰

Gray Cat
Varsity

Post by Gray Cat »

Pol pot wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 3:51 pm
Gray Cat wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 12:28 pm One problem is the OHSAA basically forcing everyone to use Arbiter, and they raised their rates. I'm sure the OHSAA is prolly getting kickbacks from Ariter. But it would be great if the schools and officials didn't have to use them. And cheaper for the schools.
You must be one that lives pay chack to pay check and needs that $60 immediately to buy gas for the trip home. :lol:

Pol pot
SE

Post by Pol pot »

Gray Cat wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 11:02 am
You must be one that lives pay chack to pay check and needs that $60 immediately to buy gas for the trip home. :lol:
Not at all. It’s called sarcasm. And if you are working games for $60, that’s your problem.

Gray Cat
Varsity

Post by Gray Cat »

Pol pot wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 8:02 am
Gray Cat wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 11:02 am

Not at all. It’s called sarcasm. And if you are working games for $60, that’s your problem.
I see, so you get the sarcasm when you use it but not when someone else does. No worries bud.

Return to “Football”