Portsmouth 42 Valley 28 2022

BuckeyeBlood
All Conference

Portsmouth 42 Valley 28 2022

Post by BuckeyeBlood »

Cheerleaders cheering, the stands shaking, pads popping, hotdogs cooking, it’s football season in seo. The battle for the Andy Hayden memorial trophy will once again be the kickoff to the southern Ohio high school football season. The Portsmouth Trojans will take the trip down US 23 out to Lucasville to tangle with the Valley Indians who for the first time in forever are under the direction of a new coach. Nolan Crabtree is at the helm replacing legendary seo coach Darren Crabtree. The Indians will be led on offense by returning senior QB Carter Nickell with senior OT Justin Moore anchoring the offensive & defensive lines. Expectations seem to be pretty high in Lucasville this season. The Portsmouth Trojans will be under the command of 5th year coach Bruce Kalb. Kalb has turned Portsmouth around since taking over the program, including the first playoff win for the school in over 20 years. The Trojans will however be breaking in a new leader under center. Senior Tyler Duncan takes over for Drew Roe. The Trojans will have a host of skill position players returning including standout Reade Pendleton. Portsmouth lost a ton of seniors from last years team, but this current group of seniors believe the team will be just as good, if not better.

The Trojans & Indians will meet up exactly 3 weeks from today at 7pm in Lucasville. Thoughts?

transplant
SE

Re: Week 1: Portsmouth @ Valley Thursday Night Under the Lights.

Post by transplant »

I think this will be a pretty good game. Valley's lack of depth will hurt them later in some ball games. Valley has some good size lineman and athletic, experienced skill positions. Portsmouth will have athletic skilled kids as well. To me, this game will be won at the line of scrimmage. If valley can get some pressure on Duncan and Valley's line keeps the pressure off Valley's QB, they will be ok. Looking forward to this one.

coop
SEOPS

Post by coop »

I'm encouraged from what I'm seeing early with the Indians....they are hard in the weight room, and they are working on building that depth that is often spoke about. I think this will be a very good game!

Good luck to Coach Nolan Crabtree and the Valley Indians!

transplant
SE

Post by transplant »

Yes, they have been working hard in the weight room and on conditioning. Hopefully their conditioning will help with depth as well. As long as everyone stays healthy, I think they will be ok.

PTrojan59
S

Post by PTrojan59 »

Did you write this or is this a news paper article? If you wrote it, then it’s pretty solid @BuckeyeBlood.

Who Dey!
ohbuckeye2
SEOPS HO

Post by ohbuckeye2 »

Good luck Trojans!!

IrontonTigers#1
Freshman Team

Post by IrontonTigers#1 »

I Pick Portsmouth

Go Ironton Fighting Tigers, GoTexas Longhorns
BuckeyeBlood
All Conference

Post by BuckeyeBlood »

PTrojan59 wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 9:54 am Did you write this or is this a news paper article? If you wrote it, then it’s pretty solid @BuckeyeBlood.
Bored at work just excited for the season my friend…

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

With games against Portsmouth West, Spring Valley (WV), Gallia Academy, Fairland, and Ironton, it will be very important for the Trojans to start 1-0. Those 5 games listed will be the toughest tests for PHS. Lose to Valley and it will be an uphill battle to have another winning season and playoff appearance.

I think the offense will be fine (will miss Drew Roe's running ability), but I'm always wary of the Trojans' defense. It was vastly improved last season, and I'm hoping that continues this season.

If Portsmouth defeats Valley I'm forecasting a 6-4 season, but could be 7-3 if they can win 2 of the 5 games listed above. With the schedule, I don't think anything better than 7-3 is realistic.

Some side notes......Gallia and Portsmouth did not play last season due to low numbers for GAHS, but the Blue Devils have long been a nemesis for the Trojans. I remember in 2002 that PHS made the playoffs, but GAHS came into Spartan Stadium and handed the Trojans a 28-12 loss in the regular season. Gallia has a big edge in the overall series.

2 years ago, the Spring Valley JV routed the PHS JV at Portsmouth. Don't know how many of those kids still remain at SV, but they are a AAA school and probably will have good numbers when they come to the Coliseum.

Stopped by practice last night for about 10 minutes, and counted 50 kids. Decent increase from 42 listed last season. A lot of kids looked to be in really good shape, and I'm a stickler for that. Good conditioning makes a difference in the 4th quarter of games.

Fan of the youth
Freshman Team

Post by Fan of the youth »

The Indians held their own against Zane Trace while breaking in a whole new system and many young players were impressive. I look for a closer game this year with Valley coming out on top.

PTrojan59
S

Post by PTrojan59 »

I actually think Valley are the favorites in this game. This game will be speed vs. size. Valley will have the distinct size advantage up front on both sides of the ball. Portsmouth will have the speed advantage, although I know Valley has some team speed. Valley at home I think may get this win. I hope I’m wrong but this one has me worried. I fear the Trojans could start off the season 0-3. I guess we will see in less than a week.

Who Dey!
Svcguru
Freshman Team

Post by Svcguru »

I was very impressed with Valley at the Zt scrimmage! Valley Offensive line and Defensive line were big. Valley Qb was quick and had some nice throws.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

Valley returns a good bit and with the Trojans having to overcome losing Roe is big, have to go with Valley on this one

Beergogglebluez
SE

Post by Beergogglebluez »

Losing roe is a huge loss but I think another huge loss was the Thurman kid who played linebacker. Kid was a monster and also played on the offensive line. Amare Johnson was a pretty good back and Carr and Bryant were good receivers. I don’t think Portsmouth has much depth this year behind the starters and a lot of kids will be playing both ways. Last year some kids got to play just one side. Roe was very mobile and used his legs a lot. Curious how this year will be.

Operation Iraqi freedom 3. Sadr city/ eastern Baghdad 2005
Fan of the youth
Freshman Team

Post by Fan of the youth »

I recall the battle of the trenches favored the Trojans last year. The Trojans push up front was a huge factor. Did the Trojans return much of their lines?

Baseball_Dad
Riding the Bench

Post by Baseball_Dad »

I agree FOTY, that was the difference in the second half. Valley's front was gassed and the Trojans were fresh. IIRC, Valley held a 3-0 lead at halftime.

PTrojan59
S

Post by PTrojan59 »

Fan of the youth wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 11:35 am I recall the battle of the trenches favored the Trojans last year. The Trojans push up front was a huge factor. Did the Trojans return much of their lines?
The Trojans on offense return Amari Harmon & Leo Poxes. Harmon is a guard. Not sure if Poxes will be at guard or tackle. They lost the older Poxes brother, Noah Carver and center James Thurman. Thurman really hurts. The defensive line will return Poxes. Harmon will probably get some time there if I were to guess. Levaughn Cobb should see some time at DE and I believe he did last season as well. The defensive line lost a lot. Jalen Jones, Hayden Griffith, Alberto Poxes, Noah Carver, Jayvon Zurborg and Cooper Maxie. While also losing James Thurman at LB, he led the team in tackles. If I recall correctly, the Trojans didn’t give up a rushing TD until week 5 last season.

Who Dey!
Nicknevada86
Varsity

Post by Nicknevada86 »

Phs 22
Valley 20

Team ovc
Freshman Team

Post by Team ovc »

PTrojan59 wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 12:46 pm
Fan of the youth wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 11:35 am I recall the battle of the trenches favored the Trojans last year. The Trojans push up front was a huge factor. Did the Trojans return much of their lines?
The Trojans on offense return Amari Harmon & Leo Poxes. Harmon is a guard. Not sure if Poxes will be at guard or tackle. They lost the older Poxes brother, Noah Carver and center James Thurman. Thurman really hurts. The defensive line will return Poxes. Harmon will probably get some time there if I were to guess. Levaughn Cobb should see some time at DE and I believe he did last season as well. The defensive line lost a lot. Jalen Jones, Hayden Griffith, Alberto Poxes, Noah Carver, Jayvon Zurborg and Cooper Maxie. While also losing James Thurman at LB, he led the team in tackles. If I recall correctly, the Trojans didn’t give up a rushing TD until week 5 last season.
It was actually week 6 before they gave up a rushing td or a 100 yard rusher. Waverly scored all there td’s through the air against them

Izladoom
All State

Post by Izladoom »

No one knows what to expect because valley has a new coach and a new system. they return probably the most experience in the county as lots of the players have started or had lots of playing time since their freshman year. they can match starters with anyone but it’s their depth that hurts them. I look for one of the biggest crowds ever at valley for the game to see the new coach. If valley stays healthy they could start the season 6-0 sadly they could also end the season 0-4. For them it will all come down to health.

Return to “Football”