Re: 7 on 7 @ Jackson, Friday 7/29

Post by gator81 »

What time does it start?

Tigernation2021
Varsity

Post by Tigernation2021 »

Starts at 10--
Waverly, Gallia, Unioto, Jackson, Piketon the last team I've heard is Symmes Valley or Athens. 1 coach from a team said SV another coach from a different team said Athens.

Rolltanks
All Conference

Post by Rolltanks »

Any news on how teams looked?

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Looked like a 7 on 7…..hard to gauge.

Early on Winters to Wolford looked just completely unstoppable. So much talent with those two. Jackson moved in so many kids and things weren’t perfectly crisp but it’s still July. Jackson defense has some work and lost a lot but also a 7 on 7 and just tough to tell.

Gallia QB hit the middle passes and got some balls between coverage when I watched. Some good athletes.

Unioto some good looking kids but saw a few picks thrown against Waverly. Waverly has some picks I saw too. Didn’t watch Piketon much. Symmes Valley a work in progress but also small school by a lot.

Every team showed some promise and every team has stuff to work on.

Billy Brave
Freshman Team

Post by Billy Brave »

Ironman92 wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 2:04 pm Looked like a 7 on 7…..hard to gauge.

Early on Winters to Wolford looked just completely unstoppable. So much talent with those two. Jackson moved in so many kids and things weren’t perfectly crisp but it’s still July. Jackson defense has some work and lost a lot but also a 7 on 7 and just tough to tell.

Gallia QB hit the middle passes and got some balls between coverage when I watched. Some good athletes.

Unioto some good looking kids but saw a few picks thrown against Waverly. Waverly has some picks I saw too. Didn’t watch Piketon much. Symmes Valley a work in progress but also small school by a lot.

Every team showed some promise and every team has stuff to work on.
I92 good breakdown. Thanks.

Tigernation2021
Varsity

Well got to see this one and like Ironman92 said really hard to gauge, however I'll give my run down.

Jackson--I thought Winters looked good at times and has really come along over the last year in his ability to throw it. Defensively Jackson was quick to the ball but teams were finding the hole in the zone but hey it's a 7-7 and with no rush it makes it much easier to do. All in all thought Jackson looked good and I hope they decide to air it out more this year in order to get ready for the playoffs

Unioto--They've got some athletes but seemed like they spent a lot of time throwing crossing routes, which look good in a 7-7 but with the line in front of them makes it a lot more difficult. Defensively they were flying around but were giving up plays as well pretty confident in saying Unioto is probably a lock for the #3 spot in the SVC and might push ZT in that game depending on how they come along.

Symmes Valley--They're typically a running team so not for sure if the new coach is going to look to change stuff up some or not. They struggled quite a bit spent to much time playing press on defense and getting beat doing it. Should be ok in SOC1 play but they're not going to compete with NW and ND this year just didn't see enough talent across the board.

Piketon--It's going to be a long year for Piketon but for a smaller school graduating the athletes they did that's to be expected. Looks like they're lacking in the speed department and really searching for someone to step up at QB, whoever it is they have some big shoes to fill.

Gallia--Seems like they have some athletes QB doesn't have a bad arm but he's pretty small and seems very limited. Guessing they'll be riding the running game they were really working the short game and behind a line the QB is going to struggle to see those throws. They were also running rubs and getting guys out in the flat looks like they were doing a nice job of utilizing the players they have though, thought the new coach did a nice job of coaching his kids up between plays and being positive with them.

Waverly--Unlike most teams that were there this was Waverly's first 7-7 and it really showed. As they struggled early offensively in the first couple games but started to find their way a bit once they got to Jackson. The QB spent a lot of time looking at his senior TE and WR and missed some throws to guys open but again with a young QB something that should be expected. Looking like Waverly is really going to incorporate the use of the RBs out of the backfield this year. Defensively they done some good things but you can see the backend is really going to have to come together as they were letting WRs get past them way to often luckily most of the teams on this day weren't going deep. They've got some athletes and if the young QB can build off what he started to read maybe by the time league play roles around these guys could be hitting their stride.

Hard to really tell a lot in these 7-7 but you're always able to see who's coming into the season with top tier talent and who's going to be working to develop all year. It was a good day and to my knowledge no injuries always a plus good to luck to all teams.

mustard
JV Team

Post by mustard »

I never understood 7 on 7 s. They make no sense to me. The only benefit I can see is defenders reaction to ball and QB accuracy.

Tigernation2021
Varsity

mustard wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 4:44 pm I never understood 7 on 7 s. They make no sense to me. The only benefit I can see is defenders reaction to ball and QB accuracy.
They're very useful especially if you're a team that is replacing a lot of players at the skilled position. If you look at a team like Waverly, they have a sophomore QB looking like the starter, a freshman and multiple 10th graders working the WR position. Same with defense outside of a senior safety they're looking at a freshman, couple 10th graders and a junior who hasn't started as kids trying to step up. They're learning the plays and going up against different players and coverages with a lot more talent than the say teams scout defenses. Now if you're looking at a senior heavy team I don't believe 7 on 7s are quite as beneficial just for the fact those guys have played together and sort of been there and done that. It's more of a way of knocking off the rust at that point.

Rolltanks
All Conference

Post by Rolltanks »

Good to here lot of ppl have us as 30 point dogs week one had me pretty worried

GeneralCarpenter
JV Team

Post by GeneralCarpenter »

Rolltanks wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 6:33 pm Good to here lot of ppl have us as 30 point dogs week one had me pretty worried
Yeah that was really confusing 😂

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

Tigernation2021 wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 6:07 pm
mustard wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 4:44 pm I never understood 7 on 7 s. They make no sense to me. The only benefit I can see is defenders reaction to ball and QB accuracy.
They're very useful especially if you're a team that is replacing a lot of players at the skilled position. If you look at a team like Waverly, they have a sophomore QB looking like the starter, a freshman and multiple 10th graders working the WR position. Same with defense outside of a senior safety they're looking at a freshman, couple 10th graders and a junior who hasn't started as kids trying to step up. They're learning the plays and going up against different players and coverages with a lot more talent than the say teams scout defenses. Now if you're looking at a senior heavy team I don't believe 7 on 7s are quite as beneficial just for the fact those guys have played together and sort of been there and done that. It's more of a way of knocking off the rust at that point.
Sophomore QB with no real varsity game time experience, one WR with limited varsity experience at that position, 3-4 very good RB’s and a veteran offensive line.
Tells me you go with a two back set often and run the ball 70% of the time….

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

smurray wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 9:39 am
Sophomore QB with no real varsity game time experience, one WR with limited varsity experience at that position, 3-4 very good RB’s and a veteran offensive line.
It'll be interesting to see if they try and go to more of a run setup, for Waverly this year it looks like the coaches are at a crossroads just a bit. I've seen a lot of coaches over the years have a certain set of personnel players that don't fit the scheme they typically run and the coaches try to force that round peg in a square hole so to speak. Will Waverly be willing to pull back on that need to try and strike quick and let their strength up front and in the running game carry the load. Patience will be key, they'll have the defense to keep them in ball games and the running game to keep it close I would think for Waverly if they can keep it close going into the 4th quarter that'll be big.
Last edited by greygoose on Mon Aug 01, 2022 12:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

greygoose wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 6:38 am
smurray wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 9:39 am

It'll be interesting to see if they try and go to more of a run setup, for Waverly this year it looks like the coaches are at a crossroads just a bit. I've seen a lot of coaches over the years have a certain set of personnel players that don't fit the scheme they typically run and the coaches try to force that round peg in a scare hole so to speak. Will Waverly be willing to pull back on that need to try and strike quick and let their strength up front and in the running game carry the load. Patience will be key, they'll have the defense to keep them in ball games and the running game to keep it close I would think for Waverly if they can keep it close going into the 4th quarter that'll be big.
Totally agree!!

bucknuts09
Freshman Team

Post by bucknuts09 »

Waverly better have the mindset of 3 yards and a cloud of ………..! Adapt and overcome!

allaboutsports
Riding the Bench

Post by allaboutsports »

I just joined this site to see what it was all about and I have to say how disappointed I am. I have seen Waverly fans who was not at the 7 on 7 judging kids they have never seen play, like somehow they know more than the coaching staff. All I can say is the kids all know who makes comments on here and predict them to go 5-6 this year. That a way to support your local kids. These kids work hard everyday and give up there summer and try and get better only to be judged by adults. I hope all kids playing have a good year and learn from there coaches and stay healthy and most of all enjoy your time in high school sports. Don't allow parents to ruin this for you.

Return to “Football”