Coal Grove 50 Valley 34 2022

Alitown
Freshman Team

Coal Grove 50 Valley 34 2022

Post by Alitown »

Lucasville Valley travels to Coal Grove after a tough loss to Portsmouth. While Coal Grove had what seems to be a very impressive win over Bern Union.

I have not seen Coal Grove this year. Valley will need to establish the run game, and limit the turnovers and penalties. I love the uptempo offense, but with the lack of depth I really felt like we were hurting as much as the Portsmouth Defense in the second half.

If Valley can get Buckle going early to open up the passing game, and limit the the turnovers, I look for this to be a close game. If they play like the second half against Portsmouth, it could be a very long night for the Indians.

Nicknevada86
Varsity

Re: WK2: Lucasville Valley (0-1) @ Coal Grove (1-0)

Post by Nicknevada86 »

Valley 28-24

RiverBallFan1
Freshman Team

Post by RiverBallFan1 »

Coal Grove dominates…ground and pound! I like Valey, just jot physical enough for the Hornets!

"Come on Dave, give me a break" Ted Templeton UNCHAINED!
greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

Berne Union lost a lot of talent off of last years team so I think this game will really tell us where CG stands. Valley does have some size up front which could cause problems, going to be a good measuring stick for CG. I'll take CG by 7 but won't be shocked if Valley was able to squeak one out.

mattash
Site Admin

Post by mattash »

Man this will be one of the best games out there... 4th quarter corndogs valley fans, best deal in the area

"you miss 100% of the shots you don't take. Wayne Gretzky"

Michael Scott
Baseball_Dad
Riding the Bench

Post by Baseball_Dad »

Valley has been the more physical the team in their scrimmages and their game against Portsmouth. I don't think being physical or depth was the determining factor the other night. It was turnovers and the speed of Lattimore. When Portsmouth needed a big play, Lattimore was able to get behind the defense. Valley's mistakes allowed Portsmouth back in the game and gave them momentum. I think the challenge for Valley this week is adjusting to a different style of team. Liked what I saw from Valley and this should be an excellent football game.

coop
SEOPS

Post by coop »

I don’t think the Portsmouth score is indicative of how Valley played. The Indians gave the Trojans 2 VERY short fields on miscues on special teams(I think once at the 7 yard line) and still had over 400 yards of offense.

Don’t think Valley isn’t physical.

This will be a good one!

PTrojan59
S

Post by PTrojan59 »

Valley are more than physical enough to play with CG. You stop Hall you stop that offense imo. I know Portsmouth doesn’t have much of a running game, but Valley stuffed the run Thursday night when the Trojans did attempt to run. Allowing I think 54 yards total on the ground. Should be a good one.

Who Dey!
Team ovc
Freshman Team

Post by Team ovc »

PTrojan59 wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 10:53 am Valley are more than physical enough to play with CG. You stop Hall you stop that offense imo. I know Portsmouth doesn’t have much of a running game, but Valley stuffed the run Thursday night when the Trojans did attempt to run. Allowing I think 54 yards total on the ground. Should be a good one.
I’m not sure you can concentrate on trying to stop Hall to beat CG. I realize he is there go to guy but they have other weapons in the backfield with Simpson and Murphy who can fly if he gets loose. Not to mention a QB who can throw if he has to with some pretty good receivers. Should be a really good game

Jason Vorhees
S

Post by Jason Vorhees »

Series History:

1964: CG 36 Valley 22
1965: CG 14 Valley 6
2000: CG 24 Valley 12
2001: Valley 48 CG 0
2006: Valley 20 CG 6
2007: CG 27 Valley 12
2008: CG 31 Valley 8
2009: CG 36 Valley 28
2010: Valley 49 CG 21
2011: Valley 33 CG 14
2012: Valley 34 CG 18
Playoffs: Valley 41 CG 16
2013: Valley 56 CG 21
2014: Valley 42 CG 22
2015: Valley 47 CG 14
2016: CG 41 Valley 7
2017: CG 38 Valley 20
2018: CG 21 Valley 20
2019: Valley 34 CG 19

Valley leads the series 10-9, with a difference of a little bit over 6 PPG. Good series.

Valley has to get Coal Groves Offense off the field with a lot of 3 and Outs. Don’t let them chew up the clock and get their playmakers out in the open field and they’ll be successful.

For Coal Grove, they’re going to have to lean on their Offensive and Defensive fronts and force a couple of turnovers. This could be one of the better week 2 games.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

Wasn't it this game last year that caused a huge dust up with CG I think it was cancelling due to covid and then turning around and saying they were good and playing Eastern Pike?? Can't remember the exact scenario but I believe it was these 2 teams

Team ovc
Freshman Team

Post by Team ovc »

greygoose wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 7:46 pm Wasn't it this game last year that caused a huge dust up with CG I think it was cancelling due to covid and then turning around and saying they were good and playing Eastern Pike?? Can't remember the exact scenario but I believe it was these 2 teams
Coal Grove had 20 kids that were quarantined by the health department and Thursday night all but 8 were cleared to play which by then valley had already rescheduled which left CG scrambling to find a game

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

Team ovc wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 7:49 pm
greygoose wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 7:46 pm Wasn't it this game last year that caused a huge dust up with CG I think it was cancelling due to covid and then turning around and saying they were good and playing Eastern Pike?? Can't remember the exact scenario but I believe it was these 2 teams
Coal Grove had 20 kids that were quarantined by the health department and Thursday night all but 8 were cleared to play which by then valley had already rescheduled which left CG scrambling to find a game
Thanks, I was thinking there was more to it then that though, pretty sure they accepted a game with Eastern before even calling Valley back though. Either way I thought this was the game that upset a lot of pp.

Team ovc
Freshman Team

Post by Team ovc »

greygoose wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 7:55 pm
Team ovc wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 7:49 pm
Thanks, I was thinking there was more to it then that though, pretty sure they accepted a game with Eastern before even calling Valley back though. Either way I thought this was the game that upset a lot of pp.
There might be more to it behind the scenes but I know the health department cleared a bunch of kids Thursday night and I heard valley had already rescheduled. We didn’t find out we were playing eastern till Friday morning

PTrojan59
S

Post by PTrojan59 »

Team ovc wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 12:58 pm
PTrojan59 wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 10:53 am Valley are more than physical enough to play with CG. You stop Hall you stop that offense imo. I know Portsmouth doesn’t have much of a running game, but Valley stuffed the run Thursday night when the Trojans did attempt to run. Allowing I think 54 yards total on the ground. Should be a good one.
I’m not sure you can concentrate on trying to stop Hall to beat CG. I realize he is there go to guy but they have other weapons in the backfield with Simpson and Murphy who can fly if he gets loose. Not to mention a QB who can throw if he has to with some pretty good receivers. Should be a really good game
That’s fair, Hall is an absolute workhorse so I figured the offense ran through him. Is Murphy the freshman? I heard CG had a stud at RB that’s a freshman.

Who Dey!
Team ovc
Freshman Team

Post by Team ovc »

PTrojan59 wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 9:52 pm
Team ovc wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 12:58 pm
That’s fair, Hall is an absolute workhorse so I figured the offense ran through him. Is Murphy the freshman? I heard CG had a stud at RB that’s a freshman.
Yes Murphy is a freshman. Hall is the workhorse but the other guys can hurt you to if you try concentrating on him

Fan of the youth
Freshman Team

Post by Fan of the youth »

I don't know much about this year's Coal Grove team. I do know their history and it has always been big tough line and hard running backs. I don't expect the Valley Indians to give up 250 plus passing yards to The Grove. I look for another higher scoring game.

transplant
SE

Post by transplant »

Should be a pretty good game down at Coal Grove. Like others have mentioned, Coal Grove usually has some good sized linemen and solid running backs. I think Valley will play hard and if they can limit the big chunk plays on defense, they will be ok. Pulling for the Indians in this one. Does Coal Grove do any livestream of their games?

mattash
Site Admin

Post by mattash »

Honestly this may be the best matchup.

"you miss 100% of the shots you don't take. Wayne Gretzky"

Michael Scott
FIDO
S

Post by FIDO »

I hope to see crabtree get his first win!

Return to “Football”