Belpre football

Steely Dan
SEOP

Re: Belpre football

Post by Steely Dan »

To the Belpre players, their parents, and supporters, my hat is off to all of you. It is apparent the players have faced adversity all season but have shown up every week and exhibited the heart and perseverance that will pay lifelong dividends as they experience this thing called "life". I've read quite a bit about the "catalysts" that have created this situation. If what has been said on here is accurate, it is a shame that these folks have created this situation, the kids and parents deserve better. I wish the Golden Eagle players the best of luck tonight, hope for a clean game and that you all come out injury free. Play hard and get some points tonight!!

Doing someone else's Dirty Work....
Fletchlives
JV Team

Post by Fletchlives »

enigmaax wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 1:18 pm
The Ultimate Lancer wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 11:48 am
Dundas wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 10:40 pm

Federal Hocking made the playoffs in 2006 with a 9-1 record under coach Jeff Downs. They won the Hocking with a 5-0 record. That’s all I can think of. Jeff still resides in Athens county to my knowledge.

He also took Vinton County to the playoffs in 2004 with an 8-2 record.
I believe The Salesman, Springer, was the man in charge in 06 and took them to 9-1 and Hocking champs. I think he was here two years and had a co-champ and outright champ but I could be off a little in the years. He didn't require anyone to come to conditioning or weight lifting or practices and the practices were short. No practices during fair week, which is right in the middle of two a days. He got record numbers of kids out with that approach and at that time we were loaded with athletes in the school, and he got them to play football which most coaches can't. They were in terrible shape, but good enough and deep enough to keep talent on the field and go 9-1. Then Downs came in after that and used pretty much the same approach and reaped the benefits of what Springer had started which led to a playoff appearance.
According to fourseasonsfootball.com (amazing resource if one hasn’t seen it), Springer went 7-3 in his one year (2005). Downs took them to the playoffs in 2006, going 9-2 in his only season there (looks like he was 17-14 at VC with a playoff berth in his first stint, then 13-17 in his last go round from 2015-18 - not sure if he coached anywhere in between).
[
Last edited by Fletchlives on Sat Oct 15, 2022 5:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

boss8
JV Team

Post by boss8 »

Fletchlives wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 2:42 pm
Buckeye2021 wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 1:27 pm
BJCassady wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 12:08 pm We host Eastern (Reedsville) tonight in our last home game as we honor our 5 football seniors plus seniors for Band, Cheerleading, Soccer, Volleyball, Cross Country and Golf.

Our boys will show up and play their hearts out tonight as they have all season.

Last year, Eastern won 46 - 0. They were the only team to shut us out in 2021. Sadly, we have only scored 3 points this season so it doesn't look promising to get a TD tonight. For the boys sake, I hope we get our first TD of the season.

Good luck and good health to both teams.

As always...

LETS GO GOLDEN EAGLES!!!
Anybody know if a team has not scored a touchdown in a whole season?
Wow, to think a team has not scored one single TD in an entire season is an unbelievably sad statistic. I feel so horrible for those kids for busting their butts all year and seeing little results for their efforts. Keep fighting young men!
Unfortunately, this is what occurs when you squander the hard work of good young men under terrible leadership. As I’ve said before, the “adults” in charge have miserably failed these kids.

BJCassady
Freshman Team

Post by BJCassady »

Eastern 41 Belpre 13.

Boys played hard from start to finish.

We had a 67 yd TD run for our first TD this year. Followed that up with a 51 yd fumble recovery for a TD.

Started the game with 13 dressed.

Ended the game with 12 players.

Lost a player early with a bad lower leg/ankle injury. When it happened the ref immediately waved ambulance on to the field. Prayers for the young man in hopes that it wasn't as bad as it appeared.

Very proud of our players. Absolutely no quit in them.

Steely Dan
SEOP

Post by Steely Dan »

Prayers for the young man, I hope he heals up quickly. Nice to see the Golden Eagles get a couple of scores. Eventually, things will turn around, it is probably going to take some time, but they will get there. Just about every small school goes through some lean times.

Doing someone else's Dirty Work....
Tiger73
Freshman Team

Post by Tiger73 »

In the next few weeks Belpre faces a greater challenge than football. It will be voting on a new facility for students.
Belpre deserves an upgrade of facilities. Residents need to look around..it is needed. New bright and shiny facilities will BRING FORTH THE CONFIDENCE TO FIX OTHER FLAWS. This win is so important for kids and their bright tomorrow.

The Ultimate Lancer
JV Team

Post by The Ultimate Lancer »

Tiger73 wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 1:30 am In the next few weeks Belpre faces a greater challenge than football. It will be voting on a new facility for students.
Belpre deserves an upgrade of facilities. Residents need to look around..it is needed. New bright and shiny facilities will BRING FORTH THE CONFIDENCE TO FIX OTHER FLAWS. This win is so important for kids and their bright tomorrow.
That levy is overrated. It’s simple. Current and future football can just open enroll to Lancer nation. We have decent facility and could use an influx of football minded kids.

BRING BACK The used car salesman/part time football manager!
BJCassady
Freshman Team

Post by BJCassady »

While the levy is of upmost importance, it is only a partial step for overall district improvement which includes better hiring practices.

Like all districts we have some excellent individuals, average performing individuals and those who need to be evaluated out of a job. The excellent individuals can mentor the average people to improve themselves.

I am voting for the levy but it is lacking. This levy needs to replace everything not just 90% of our facilities. The HS gym needs to go because when the levy is paid for in 37 years the gym will be 100 years old and will need replaced.

The football field and track needs completely replaced with an 8 lane all weather track instead of the current 6 lane track. Football playing surface needs replaced and it doesn't have to be synthetic turf, a good grass field would be just fine. Also needed are new team locker rooms, officials locker room, weight room, restrooms for fans, concession stands. Our current setup is an embrassment with port-a-johns for the visitors.

When this passes, we will not be able to pass another levy for anything for a generation or more so we need to get this right.

I am voting yes for kids but I wish this package did more.

As always...

LETS GO EAGLES!!!

Watertown
Waterboy

Post by Watertown »

The Ultimate Lancer wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 8:05 am
Tiger73 wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 1:30 am In the next few weeks Belpre faces a greater challenge than football. It will be voting on a new facility for students.
That levy is overrated. It’s simple. Current and future football can just open enroll to Lancer nation. We have decent facility and could use an influx of football minded kids.
Better yet, they can come to Waterford and be part of the new dominant program in the TVC. Waterford is the best team in both divisions and will be for the foreseeable future. Send those handful of good players and they will be a part of a great team instead of losing every game. But if they want to keep losing then yes go to FH or just stay at Belpre.

Bucknut25
Waterboy

Post by Bucknut25 »

The biggest issue regarding the levy is that most people don’t trust the administration or the Board. With that being said, the school and the community
need this levy in a bad way and as a community should come together and vote yes. From the football point of view, the trust has been completely lost because of the total failure of the experiment with the current coach and staff. The team is playing their hearts out every game , but the problem isn’t the players. They are not being taught anything at all and it shows every week. If the administration and board could put their egos aside and just realize this experiment was a mistake and eat crow and move on it could solve a few of the problems.

MTSWNGRVSG
SE

Post by MTSWNGRVSG »

So sad for what was a once proud program. A school system that was one of the top in Southeastern Ohio. Now probably the worst facilities in the TVC!

Fletchlives
JV Team

Post by Fletchlives »

That’s what happens when you have a revolving door of administrators with no vision. And the key is passion. Culture can be changed with a vision, enthusiasm and passion.

chrishilton91
Freshman Team

Post by chrishilton91 »

Last edited by chrishilton91 on Sat Oct 15, 2022 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chrishilton91
Freshman Team

Post by chrishilton91 »

Below are the school's coaching records since 1950:

Coach Record Winning %
Paul Wiley 5-2-1 63%
Al Lilly 49-38-3 54%
Ralph Holder 226-108-9 66%
Ken Cox 16-34 40%
Jon Bolen 19-18 51%
Bill Cieskewski 10-20 33%
Curt Shriver 10-21 32%
Greg Adams 34-47 42%
Mike Devol 11-9 55%
Lance Binnegar 3-5 38%
Jimme Bell 2-17 11%

*This assuming Belpre loses their last game!

boss8
JV Team

Post by boss8 »

Steely Dan wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 10:40 pm Prayers for the young man, I hope he heals up quickly. Nice to see the Golden Eagles get a couple of scores. Eventually, things will turn around, it is probably going to take some time, but they will get there. Just about every small school goes through some lean times.
Except, it won’t get better until or unless there is a change in Head Coach. They need a real leader and coach who actually knows how to teach football, not a cartoon character who is all talk.

BJCassady
Freshman Team

Post by BJCassady »

Last game tonight. We dressed 13 last week and ended with 12 due to an injury.

High praise to the players for playing their hearts out each and every game.

Hoping that the boys in orange and black can make it 2 games in a row in finding the end zone.

My understanding is that the game will be live streamed.

Good luck and good health to both teams.

As always...

LETS GO EAGLES!!!

Rebel Yell
Riding the Bench

Post by Rebel Yell »

I see a lot of coach bashing on here but how many people gave this team a chance to finish the season? The coach kept them together to complete a 10 game season. With only 13 players that’s an accomplishment in itself.

boss8
JV Team

Post by boss8 »

Rebel Yell wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 4:50 pm I see a lot of coach bashing on here but how many people gave this team a chance to finish the season? The coach kept them together to complete a 10 game season. With only 13 players that’s an accomplishment in itself.
No. No. No. That coach should receive absolutely zero credit for this team finishing the season. All credit belongs to those players who have shown up with heart every week. They only have 13 players because of Bell. They get annihilated every week because they haven’t been taught anything from Bell. Worst coached team I’ve ever seen. The only reason they are finishing the season is because of these tough young men. Imagine what would happen if they had a real coach? One who taught fundamentals and was invested in their development rather than just promoting himself?

BJCassady
Freshman Team

Post by BJCassady »

boss8 wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 6:03 pm
Rebel Yell wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 4:50 pm I see a lot of coach bashing on here but how many people gave this team a chance to finish the season? The coach kept them together to complete a 10 game season. With only 13 players that’s an accomplishment in itself.
No. No. No. That coach should receive absolutely zero credit for this team finishing the season. All credit belongs to those players who have shown up with heart every week. They only have 13 players because of Bell. They get annihilated every week because they haven’t been taught anything from Bell. Worst coached team I’ve ever seen. The only reason they are finishing the season is because of these tough young men. Imagine what would happen if they had a real coach? One who taught fundamentals and was invested in their development rather than just promoting himself?
I agree.

Hopefully, tonight's game will be the end of the Bell era. I wish him no ill will but we need to hire a teacher/coach with a successful track record as a head coach even if that means we have to create a meaningful teaching position for him if one does not currently exist.

I hope those in charge will see that the past 2 seasons have basically accomplished nothing positive in building the program back to what it once was. If not, then we might as well drop football because we would have to travel to far to play 8 man football and I am not in favor of filling our schedule with other programs that are struggling to field teams just to win games.

I have waited until tonight to post my thoughts in support of our boys who have played their hearts out.

They will end the season with no wins and very, very few points scored but they are winners in every way.

I hope that the folks making the decisions in Belpre will make their thoughts known on what the path forward is by the end of next month.

As always...

LETS GO EAGLES!!!

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

41/00 Waterford

GO LOGAN..The anti-Christ is among us

Return to “Football”