Belpre football

Pat
Varsity

Re: Belpre football

Post by Pat »

enigmaax wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 6:20 pm
Pat wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 3:15 pm
enigmaax wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 2:50 pm

I don’t have an opinion on whether it’s the right hire or not. You certainly don’t have to say names, but is your only desired qualification “a young coach”? And how do you determine if someone will stay (or succeed and even have people want him to stay)?

It’s just interesting that a couple of you constantly criticize the decision-makers but you can’t add any substance to what the better decision(s) would be. It’s just, “we need this” where you can’t even say that “this” exists.

It’s not exposing anyone to say something like, “One applicant has 12 years HC experience” or “One applicant has been an assistant for 10 years in a winning program” or “One applicant doesn’t have much experience but loves Belpre,” so we can at least evaluate whether there’s something to your repeated undermining or if you just happen to be buddies with someone who didn’t get the job (or a personal vendetta against some administrators).
Can you give some reasons why Welsh is the right choice? You’re quick to grill people who say he wasn’t the best choice. So tell us why you think he is. You obviously think that, so please tell us you have reasons for why you think that and aren’t just friends with him or friends with the AD or someone else on the inside or just criticizing with no basis. Tell us there is some substance to your barrage of criticism you keep piling onto those who disagree.

To answer your question, there was more than one applicant who has HC experience with more success and are not retired. One applicant has been extremely successful and didn’t get an interview. Never even acknowledged that he applied. So, this smells of sham process that wasted everyone’s time because the powers knew who they were going to hire all along. JMHO
I didn’t say anyone was the right choice. I don’t have enough information to form an opinion at this point, hence why I asked for real details. I think I spelled out pretty well what my criticism of you & a few others is, but I’ll do it again. When someone says, “There are better applicants” and then provides no valid information supporting that, it’s a worthless opinion. When someone says something like, “There was an applicant who has won 60% of his games, won a few playoff games, etc.,” it demonstrates the person has some credible information.

But see, you guys get defensive and confrontational about a “disagreement” that doesn’t yet exist. That’s pretty telling about your real motive and it isn’t uncommon; a lot of people spout of about how someone does a crappy job but they either argue nonsense or run and hide when put on the spot to support their general statements.

The ONLY thing I’ve maintained is that administrators have a tough job; we all want the next legendary coach to walk into our school’s offices, but hiring high school coaches isn’t like hiring college and professional coaches where there’s a lot of money to throw around or other perks. Belpre’s district is in sad shape in many ways - it isn’t super appealing. So I believe it would be tough to get “great” candidates. If there was someone better, like you say, I’d just like to know what makes them better TO TRY and understand whether you are right about the incompetence you are implying or whether you are just never going to be happy (I remember people complaining about hiring Devol - some people are never happy).

Now you’ve said “more successful” and “extremely successful” candidates existed. I would just like that quantified a bit since YOU are the one offering information. I don’t believe or not believe you, I just don’t know what your definitions of those terms are. For example, someone who was 20-50 is “more successful” as a HC than the person previously named, but having that record in the past 7 years may not make him a better candidate considering what the other person has been doing for the past few years. By “extremely successful,” are we talking regular playoff appearances or going .500 at a school that hadn’t done that in a while?

TL;DR - I’m just looking for context; if you don’t want to provide it, fine, but it undermines your credibility. I’m sure you don’t care whether I personally find you credible, but it lets me know whether to skip your posts in the future.

And for the record, I have no connections to either the person named or the Belpre AD. If the process was a sham like you say, it’s sad. I’ve lived through situations like Belpre’s past season with friends/relatives/kids and it’s a terrible place to be. Hopefully, they get it figured out.
I got “defensive”? You just wrote a multiple paragraph rant. Now that’s defensive LOL. And that’s very telling about your “motive” and as you said it’s not uncommon. You clearly have a friend involved, or maybe it’s you, and you’re butt hurt about it so offer up a defense of your buddy or yourself or whoever it is. You seem reluctant to do that. Just to enlighten you a bit, when someone says a coach has been more successful than another that typically means they’ve won more games and built and/or lead better programs. If someone states that a coach has been very successful that typically means they’ve won a lot and led very successful teams and programs. But I think you know that and your butt hurtness just has you lashing out at anyone who disagrees with you and/or your buddy. And that certainly undermines your credibility. But don’t stay butt hurt buddy. It’s not worth all that is it? 😬

meatswinger
JV Team

Post by meatswinger »

Enigmaass sounds like he is defending his own decision. Could it be that he has more irons in this fire than we can easily see?

I couldn’t care less who they hire. Truth is. That program hasn’t been and won’t be relevant ever again. Might as well cancel and let those city boys all play soccer. They ain’t got the cods to play football no more.

Pat
Varsity

Post by Pat »

meatswinger wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 7:40 am Enigmaass sounds like he is defending his own decision. Could it be that he has more irons in this fire than we can easily see?

I couldn’t care less who they hire. Truth is. That program hasn’t been and won’t be relevant ever again. Might as well cancel and let those city boys all play soccer. They ain’t got the cods to play football no more.
You could be right on that. Or maybe he’s the new coach? So, good luck with that program bruh. You have your work cut out for you but you’ve shown on here how passionate you are about it so you have that going for you. You can’t possibly be worse than Bell so there is that.

The Ultimate Lancer
JV Team

Post by The Ultimate Lancer »

Don’t listen to these people enigma. I know who you are and what you stand for. Those boys at Belpre will really benefit from your coaching and I see Belpre football back in the map in a year or so. Best wishes to you and your new staff from lancer land. Hopefully we can play again soon.

BRING BACK The used car salesman/part time football manager!
Pat
Varsity

Post by Pat »

The Ultimate Lancer wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 7:55 am Don’t listen to these people enigma. I know who you are and what you stand for. Those boys at Belpre will really benefit from your coaching and I see Belpre football back in the map in a year or so. Best wishes to you and your new staff from lancer land. Hopefully we can play again soon.
KNEW IT! 😮

Wings Teaford
Freshman Team

Post by Wings Teaford »

I just want to wish Coach Welsh aka enigma the best. I coached against him a few years back when he was at Eastern. He will have that wing t a’singin before you know. You can tell from his earlier posts that he is really passionate. I can remember overhearing his halftime speeches and thinking this guy can get teams to run through brick walls. If he can find some talent in those hallways, Warren will have a battle on their hands in week 1.

Run the FB Belly and cram it up ther poop shoot!
IUDOGS
Waterboy

Post by IUDOGS »

It's January 28, 2023

Who is the name of the new Head Football Coach at Belpre ???

This is IUDOGS signing off

Fletchlives
JV Team

Post by Fletchlives »

Wings Teaford wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 8:08 am I just want to wish Coach Welsh aka enigma the best. I coached against him a few years back when he was at Eastern. He will have that wing t a’singin before you know. You can tell from his earlier posts that he is really passionate. I can remember overhearing his halftime speeches and thinking this guy can get teams to run through brick walls. If he can find some talent in those hallways, Warren will have a battle on their hands in week 1.
From one losing coach to another

Tomcat Queen
JV Team

Post by Tomcat Queen »

Fletchlives wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 6:56 pm
Wings Teaford wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 8:08 am I just want to wish Coach Welsh aka enigma the best. I coached against him a few years back when he was at Eastern. He will have that wing t a’singin before you know. You can tell from his earlier posts that he is really passionate. I can remember overhearing his halftime speeches and thinking this guy can get teams to run through brick walls. If he can find some talent in those hallways, Warren will have a battle on their hands in week 1.
Is the new loser planning to duck Trimble like everyone says they are?

Don’t hate us just because you ain’t us.
Fletchlives
JV Team

Post by Fletchlives »

Tomcat Queen wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 8:28 pm
Fletchlives wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 6:56 pm
Is the new loser planning to duck Trimble like everyone says they are?

I wasn’t calling them a loser. I said they had losing records

Warriors321
Freshman Team

Post by Warriors321 »

Pat wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 7:19 am
Pat wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 3:15 pm

Can you give some reasons why Welsh is the right choice? You’re quick to grill people who say he wasn’t the best choice. So tell us why you think he is. You obviously think that, so please tell us you have reasons for why you think that and aren’t just friends with him or friends with the AD or someone else on the inside or just criticizing with no basis. Tell us there is some substance to your barrage of criticism you keep piling onto those who disagree.

To answer your question, there was more than one applicant who has HC experience with more success and are not retired. One applicant has been extremely successful and didn’t get an interview. Never even acknowledged that he applied. So, this smells of sham process that wasted everyone’s time because the powers knew who they were going to hire all along. JMHO
I didn’t say anyone was the right choice. I don’t have enough information to form an opinion at this point, hence why I asked for real details. I think I spelled out pretty well what my criticism of you & a few others is, but I’ll do it again. When someone says, “There are better applicants” and then provides no valid information supporting that, it’s a worthless opinion. When someone says something like, “There was an applicant who has won 60% of his games, won a few playoff games, etc.,” it demonstrates the person has some credible information.

But see, you guys get defensive and confrontational about a “disagreement” that doesn’t yet exist. That’s pretty telling about your real motive and it isn’t uncommon; a lot of people spout of about how someone does a crappy job but they either argue nonsense or run and hide when put on the spot to support their general statements.

The ONLY thing I’ve maintained is that administrators have a tough job; we all want the next legendary coach to walk into our school’s offices, but hiring high school coaches isn’t like hiring college and professional coaches where there’s a lot of money to throw around or other perks. Belpre’s district is in sad shape in many ways - it isn’t super appealing. So I believe it would be tough to get “great” candidates. If there was someone better, like you say, I’d just like to know what makes them better TO TRY and understand whether you are right about the incompetence you are implying or whether you are just never going to be happy (I remember people complaining about hiring Devol - some people are never happy).

Now you’ve said “more successful” and “extremely successful” candidates existed. I would just like that quantified a bit since YOU are the one offering information. I don’t believe or not believe you, I just don’t know what your definitions of those terms are. For example, someone who was 20-50 is “more successful” as a HC than the person previously named, but having that record in the past 7 years may not make him a better candidate considering what the other person has been doing for the past few years. By “extremely successful,” are we talking regular playoff appearances or going .500 at a school that hadn’t done that in a while?

TL;DR - I’m just looking for context; if you don’t want to provide it, fine, but it undermines your credibility. I’m sure you don’t care whether I personally find you credible, but it lets me know whether to skip your posts in the future.

And for the record, I have no connections to either the person named or the Belpre AD. If the process was a sham like you say, it’s sad. I’ve lived through situations like Belpre’s past season with friends/relatives/kids and it’s a terrible place to be. Hopefully, they get it figured out.
I got “defensive”? You just wrote a multiple paragraph rant. Now that’s defensive LOL. And that’s very telling about your “motive” and as you said it’s not uncommon. You clearly have a friend involved, or maybe it’s you, and you’re butt hurt about it so offer up a defense of your buddy or yourself or whoever it is. You seem reluctant to do that. Just to enlighten you a bit, when someone says a coach has been more successful than another that typically means they’ve won more games and built and/or lead better programs. If someone states that a coach has been very successful that typically means they’ve won a lot and led very successful teams and programs. But I think you know that and your butt hurtness just has you lashing out at anyone who disagrees with you and/or your buddy. And that certainly undermines your credibility. But don’t stay butt hurt buddy. It’s not worth all that is it? 😬
You are proving his point. You defended none of your points on your mystery candidates who are lining up to take this job.

Pat
Varsity

Post by Pat »

Warriors321 wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 10:09 am
Pat wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 7:19 am

You are proving his point. You defended none of your points on your mystery candidates who are lining up to take this job.
You not read much? I said they were more successful, had better records, more experience as head coaches and built more successful programs. That’s “defending” my point pretty well IMO. He, and apparently you, think the guy that the AD recruited for the job is the right choice. But neither of you has “defended” your choice. Tell us what you and enigmax, I mean he’s done to make him the right choice.

IUDOGS
Waterboy

Post by IUDOGS »

It's January 30, 2023

Was wondering if any of the kids on belpre football team are from Parkersburg, W V??

IUDOGS
Waterboy

Post by IUDOGS »

It's January 30, 2023

Was wondering if any of the kids on belpre football team are from Parkersburg, W V??

jsteth
Waterboy

Post by jsteth »

i think you guys are bickering about the wrong thing. Will the new guy be able to pass the levy? That is the real question and the basis for past hires at belpre. coaching children is irrelevant lol you know what im saying

Pat
Varsity

Post by Pat »

jsteth wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 3:31 pm i think you guys are bickering about the wrong thing. Will the new guy be able to pass the levy? That is the real question and the basis for past hires at belpre. coaching children is irrelevant lol you know what im saying
Good point jsteth.

Almost Champions
Freshman Team

Post by Almost Champions »

I would personally like to congratulate enigmaax ergo Coach Welch on the new job at Belpre. Be patient. He will do a great job.

1980-82.....the glory days of Southern basketball. We almost did it!
Ironmen98
All State

Post by Ironmen98 »

How many TVC titles does belpre have ?

BJCassady
Freshman Team

Post by BJCassady »

Lets clear up a couple of things...

1. Our football program is a train wreck. The fault doesn't lie with the players but instead with adults, last HC, administrators (for their last coaching hire) and the BOE for approving the last HC hiring. Our last AD (Evans) would have never recommended Bell, the decision was taken out of her hands in my honest opinion.

2. The program won't be fixed in one season but the turn around needs to start now. There is no where to go but up from this point in time.

3. Per posting on OHSAA website...Candidates with experience as a HC or assistant coach at the HS or collegiate level are preferred. Must have or be able to pass a background check and obtain all required certifications, and a valid Pupil Activity Permit. Limited teaching positions may be available. Accepting applications until position is filled....

4. As a former BOE member, this is the first time that I can recall since Bill Cieslewski was hired in 2004 that we have even offered a teaching position to go along with the HC job for football. That is a huge positive in my opinion.

5. Sounds to me like our AD Tyler Schadd is doing his best to get our boys the best available coach he can find within the parameters that he has to work with.

6. The new HC is NOT being tasked with the passing of the upcoming bond issue and has never been. The folks voting against the bond issue don't give 2 $hits about the football or any other sport program at Belpre, they are voting with their wallets.

7. Who has or hasn't applied for the job is speculation at best. I personally know of only 1 person that has applied for the job and that is because they shared that info with me and I will not tell who they are. I do know of 2 others that expressed interest but I don't know if they did. From internet rumors, 8 people were interviewed but that may or may not be true.

8. Officially, nobody has been hired. Hiring isn't official until the BOE takes action and the next regular scheduled meeting isn't until February 16th @ 5 PM unless they hold a special meeting, which the last time I checked, hasn't been scheduled.

9. As of last months TVC meeting, Belpre hasn't informed any member schools that they might not field a team. The plan is to field a team and to be as competitive as possible and to play all TVC member schools next fall. We do have a 10 game season scheduled for next fall.

10. It would be great if a coaching legend (multiple state titles) would be the next coach but that isn't happening. Also, I don't know why some young man would come here as his first HC experience. We need someone who can successfully coach, hopefully only for a year or two, a team with low numbers and will teach our boys to be fundamentally sound in all parts of the game. The boys here have heart, they just need better coaching.

Hopefully, this issue will be finalized no later than the next regular BOE meeting or sooner if possible.

As always...

LETS GO EAGLES!!!

beg003
All Conference

Post by beg003 »

Ironmen98 wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 8:00 pm How many TVC titles does belpre have ?
My educated guess is 12. Them and Nelsonville went back and forth in the 70s and 80s. Belpre would win one or two, then Nelsonville would win one or two. Most recent was 2007ish. All of the titles were in the TVC Ohio division.

Return to “Football”